Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why is University so wanted? Can someone tell me why? I've never played it myself so I'm interested.

Hi guys! I was just wondering, why does everyone seem to want a University Pack so much? I just wanna know about how great the previous university packs were since I didn't get to play them for myself and I wanna get hyped about it. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I haven't played it either, but I've seen enough LetsPlays and watched it enough on LGR to know what it's like. It gives your sims a boost in their life careers, adds realism, and is a new way to get the Landgraabs to spend their money on spoiled 'ole Malcolm.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    suzyl3suzyl3 Posts: 513 Member
    I haven't played it either, but I've seen enough LetsPlays and watched it enough on LGR to know what it's like. It gives your sims a boost in their life careers, adds realism, and is a new way to get the Landgraabs to spend their money on spoiled 'ole Malcolm.

That sounds nice!
  • Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    It originally added the “young adult” life stage, which added a lot to the game, and it’s hard to imagine the sims without young adults now. It came with the dorms which were a great new build mechanic as well as fun to play in. Plus I think people romanticise the idea of going away to university, all the excitement and potential etc, and not everyone went to uni so I guess they can live out that fantasy? I didn’t get sims 3, but sims 2 university was great and added loads, it was just a great pack in general.
  • Options
    SimsStarfishSimsStarfish Posts: 147 Member
    If you're the kind of player that likes to tell stories then University tends to be a big part of that. A lot of players who start their stories out with teens or have legacy families feel like something is missing when they age up from teen to YA. Its the same with the other big packs we're waiting for. Supernatural players need new life states to finish stories. Some players need a beach destination to be their sims home or go on a romantic honeymoon. Many players want a romance pack to bring back slow dancing, bachelorette parties, internet dating and honeymoons. All these packs add an important dynamic to basic and legacy story lines that is still lacking and many players still feel like the game is incomplete. Also I think players who don't experience college the way they depict American universities on TV get to pledge sororities, stay in dorms and join social groups like they have seen.
  • Options
    IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    I’m a legacy player and I love having the option of giving my sims a higher education or have them carve out a different path. The option to choose is great, and Uni has always added a lot of fun extra options, a lot of new gameplay and cheaper, useful objects.
    I went to Uni myself and loved that, so I love sharing that experience with my sims.
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    It adds another layer of depth, gameplay and environment to what is pretty much the most fun life stage. :)
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited April 2019
    It also usually comes with...
    • New careers (normally ones that require some intense education)
    • New recreational activities (juice/ping pong, hackysack, frisbee)
    • New young adult party types (toga party, keg party)
    • Rival school drama (mascots, cheerleaders, pranks)
    • Social groups/societies (nerds/jocks/rebels, secret society)
    • Campus events (orientation, rallies/demos, streakers)
    • New housing options (dorms, rented homes, greek houses)
    • NPC roommates (in dorms)
    • New collectables/harvestables (herbs, coffeebeans)
    • New functional objects (vending machines, murphy beds, bikes, communal showers)
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I like the Uni packs because they are like a small world unto themselves. The studying, partying, rallies, hanging out, etc. Plus, it gave the YA's a reason to be there. As they are now, I mainly use that stage as a pre-settled down stage where my sims are finding their path and looking for a mate. Without a Uni pack, they seem a little useless if you don't give them some purpose in your game. With a Uni pack, I can confine all the partying to the campus.

I do think this version will be different but better than the past ones. I'm anxious to see what the devs have planned for us.
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited April 2019
    I'm not really into University packs, I don't care about them to be honest.

The only things I am potentially looking forward to in a University EP are Bunkbeds, Murphybeds, and maybe starter home furniture.

The University experience I never really liked in previous games, so will have to see how they handle a potential University EP this time.

Also; everyone seems so sure that the next EP has to be university, but in all honesty, we don't know.

Remember how they came out with strangerville when everyone thought Witches was going to be the next GP.

We will see.

• Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I've played University in 2/3, but the thing about those iterations vs TS4 is that they made teens different, and had a lot of them to do without making them look like adults.

I know we aren't going to get shorter teens, but what I'd like is more stuff for teens to do besides part time jobs and two clubs. I'd love for a university pack to add just... more for teens as they prep for college.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    It's part of my Sims circle of life.
    I really don't start generation play until I get university.
    University is where my young sims are shaped as far a personality and careers are concerned.

In the past expansions, University brought more careers and gave sims additional traits and want slots.
    They usually meet their future spouses there too. University also adds a change of regular game play after you have played the parents through their careers and the kids are grown up.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    I've played University in 2/3, but the thing about those iterations vs TS4 is that they made teens different, and had a lot of them to do without making them look like adults.

I know we aren't going to get shorter teens, but what I'd like is more stuff for teens to do besides part time jobs and two clubs. I'd love for a university pack to add just... more for teens as they prep for college.

I'd rather have a dedicated TEEN pack than it be shoe horned into a Uni pack. A uni pack should be about YA's since they are who college is meant for.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

I'd rather have a dedicated TEEN pack than it be shoe horned into a Uni pack. A uni pack should be about YA's since they are who college is meant for.

I do agree there should be a teen pack (I'm hoping that's what the stuff pack will be, personally), but there a LOT of things for them to add to teens in a university pack that wouldn't feel shoehorned.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I'm seemingly one of the few simmers not crying out for University. I guess it's so popular because University is one of the familiar core packs from previous sims games and really adds to a sim's life story. It was a lot of fun for me when I was still in school taking my sims to university in TS2. I think actually being a university student since then has sadly taken away some of the appeal of simulating the experience! However, I still feel I could be won over or at least enjoy some features of a university/education themed pack. I would particularly love an open university/course option for my parent or working sims to improve their education/careers from home, and courses/jobs for more handy/practical sims (e.g. engineer, plumber, mechanic etc.), as well as academic ones. More activities for child/teen sims would also be very welcome, as well as a home school option for my child sims. I'm always pleased to have more career options and traits too.
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I loved the new career it came with. Plus it just gives more gameplay and build/buy items for your game. In Sims 2 it allowed you to be a young adult and some really fun things to do that was specific to that age group. In Sims 3 you could actually attend certain classes so it was fun to be able to do that. You could live in a dorm or apply for sorority/fraternity. Since playing Sims 4 I've actually been getting into generational play and having the opportunity to and then to school would be a great addition.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    Thank you for all of these things, you guys! I'm excited now.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    It also usually comes with...
    • New careers (normally ones that require some intense education)
    • New recreational activities (juice/ping pong, hackysack, frisbee)
    • New young adult party types (toga party, keg party)
    • Rival school drama (mascots, cheerleaders, pranks)
    • Social groups/societies (nerds/jocks/rebels, secret society)
    • Campus events (orientation, rallies/demos, streakers)
    • New housing options (dorms, rented homes, greek houses)
    • NPC roommates (in dorms)
    • New collectables/harvestables (herbs, coffeebeans)
    • New functional objects (vending machines, murphy beds, bikes, communal showers)

this for myself also
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    VoraginousVoraginous Posts: 69 Member
    the university EPs for both sims 2 and 3 came out before I went to uni myself. In my head I definitely over-hyped going to uni and I enjoyed playing out stories and getting my sims really involved in dorm-life. Now that I've finished uni, I still look forward for the next uni EP maybe because of the nostalgia?
  • Options
    One of my favorite things were the science stuff that your sim could learn on that did wacky stuff. But my all time favorite is the Secret Society.
  • Options
    One of my favorite things were the science stuff that your sim could learn on that did wacky stuff. But my all time favorite is the Secret Society.

What's the secret society?
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    suzyl3 wrote: »

An exclusive club type thing you joined and unlocked a special lot with special items.
  • Options

An exclusive club type thing you joined and unlocked a special lot with special items.

WOWEE. That sounds really cool!
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    I hope it'll also come with photo booths this time as these weren't included in the Nightlife style packs in this iteration of the Sims.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member

WOWEE. That sounds really cool!

If you befriended 3 Secret Society members they would come in the night and kidnap your sim. The secret society lot had a lot of career locked objects such as a phone to Grim (resurrects/zombifies sims), a money counterfeiting machine, a cowplant etc.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I found previous University packs to be much too linear, American-centred and skewed toward social Sims. I think I only tried playing a YA at university once in S3 before I got annoyed by all the requirements and limitations. (Personally, I hated university for all the reasons I hated playing it in the game.)

I suspect that an S4 university would have fewer features from previous packs - I think we'd get something like an active career for students attending university - but it would also include some new things, like online classes. For one thing, the devs have gone for more diversity in S4 (eliminating specifically American things like prom and graduation, which I don't miss at all), and for another, even in the US, many students are choosing other options because the 'college experience' has become so expensive.
    I just want things to match. :'(