Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Toddlers are soooooo annoying

Anyone else aging toddlers up as soon as they got reasonably good skills?

I even go as far to pause aging when I raise toddlers because there's no way I let them steal 20 (I play on long Lifespan) days out of my Sims lives.
Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek

Comments

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I age them up immediately after they max their skills.

I only find them “annoying” when they can’t climb the stairs and when my maid puts my food back in the fridge so the toddlers can’t eat meals and I only realize this when they’re near death lol
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I really enjoy playing toddlers. I suspect the size of your household (esp. the number of toddlers) and different toddler traits can make the experience more or less difficult though, as well as your individual play style of course. My main sim has a clingy toddler and she's just adorable. I do plan on ageing her up to a child eventually once her Daddy has helped her max all her skills, but I want to enjoy the toddler stage a bit longer first, with some toddler play dates and visiting the toddler park together etc.
  • Options
    KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    I don’t find them annoying, but I keep everything they need in the same room. And I don’t use the high chair, I just place a group meal on an end table near a couch (also in their room) so they can feed themselves.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I really enjoy playing toddlers. I suspect the size of your household (esp. the number of toddlers) and different toddler traits can make the experience more or less difficult though, as well as your individual play style of course. My main sim has a clingy toddler and she's just adorable. I do plan on ageing her up to a child eventually once her Daddy has helped her max all her skills, but I want to enjoy the toddler stage a bit longer first, with some toddler play dates and visiting the toddler park together etc.

The 'independent' trait can be a challenge. (It helps if you let the tot ask for things, rather than having the adult suggest them. If you try to give them a bath, they'll refuse, so instead, I have them ask for a bath.) And the 'wild child' trait is a nightmare, especially if you have autonomy on.

I love the 'clingy' trait, too - I like to nurture my tots. If I have things I want my YA to do, I'll often turn off aging, have the YA focus on her career or aspiration or whatever, and when she's done with it, then I start the next generation.

Once the toddler maxes out all her skills, you can still have the adult teach her to say 'please and thank-you', which gives her a head start on the 'manners' trait, and satisfying toddler whims can collect quite a lot of points. Usually, toddler whims are fairly easy and logical - they want to use the toilet or read a story or play with their little tablet. By the time they age up, I've usually got enough points to make my kids 'waterproof' so there's no mucking about with umbrellas. Also, if an adult reads stories to the toddler, it will count toward the 'read two hours with an adult' part of the mental aspiration for kids.

I do want more things to do with my tots once they get all their skills, but then, I always want more stuff for my toddlers.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    siminettesiminette Posts: 160 Member
    The bad gameplay made the toddlers be hard to play with but I can't imagine the game without them. They are the reason why I start to play the sims 4.
  • Options
    pkinitasimspkinitasims Posts: 80 Member
    I max out their skills with cheats and age them up straight away lmao I can't stand the effort it takes with toddlers
  • Options
    lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    I keep my toddlers little for a long time, dating back to TS3. Currently, I have twin toddlers in my game who have been the same age since January 2018. I aged their big sister up to a child once they were born, but even that took a good 8 months. But to keep my sanity, I have two different saves. I have my regular family game and my singles game where my Sims are unmarried, childless, and free!
  • Options
    LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    I agree that toddlers are annoying in a large household, and you can spend days on end just trying to keep everyone alive, but in small households I love toddlers. I think that's when I really become attached to them.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I love playing with toddlers! The two traits I use the most are independent and inquisitive, but the first one is the winner. Then I don't have to bother toilet-training them, because they can go by themselves at level one. And they build skills faster when alone, and their attention need doesn't go down as quickly.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I max out their skills with cheats and age them up straight away lmao I can't stand the effort it takes with toddlers

Yeah I don't cheat like that but I remember in Sims 2: ALWAYS buy the Smart Milk, cram them with it and age them up ASAP. I was perfectly happy without toddlers in this game, knowing how annoying they were in 2 and 3.
  • Options
    SimsayCDSimsayCD Posts: 95 Member
    I love toddlers in this game. I will never get over how cute they are and I like the challenge they add to the game.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Find the toddlers in this iteration to be pretty easy with how independent they are. Mines stay pretty content less one of them have the clingy or wild trait.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Toddlers I find ridiculously easy as they are so independent. Once they can climb stairs and use the potty on their own they are quite easy as all they need is toys and leftovers.

I play on long. I would find it more stressful playing on the equivalent on long on sims 2 (if it existed) or 3.
  • Options
    This is actually only my second family with toddlers (third family, period) in the game. I am not... a family player normally. Normally I fall in love with the starter Sim, make her a vampire so she won't die, and play her for ages and ages.

But I do remember from experience that after they know how to poop, the rest is easier.
    My main source for stress is actually that I moved FIRST and got kids SECOND which means I have a rent of 23 200 and some change, and I have to push my adults to make money between taking care of the kids. Strategic mistake, I guess.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    But they're so cute and adorable! I love all my toddlers, of which I have many :D
  • Options
    AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    Nope. I love toddlers. They're the reason I got back into sims 4.
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    The 'independent' trait can be a challenge. (It helps if you let the tot ask for things, rather than having the adult suggest them. If you try to give them a bath, they'll refuse, so instead, I have them ask for a bath.) And the 'wild child' trait is a nightmare, especially if you have autonomy on.

I love the 'clingy' trait, too - I like to nurture my tots. If I have things I want my YA to do, I'll often turn off aging, have the YA focus on her career or aspiration or whatever, and when she's done with it, then I start the next generation.

Once the toddler maxes out all her skills, you can still have the adult teach her to say 'please and thank-you', which gives her a head start on the 'manners' trait, and satisfying toddler whims can collect quite a lot of points. Usually, toddler whims are fairly easy and logical - they want to use the toilet or read a story or play with their little tablet. By the time they age up, I've usually got enough points to make my kids 'waterproof' so there's no mucking about with umbrellas. Also, if an adult reads stories to the toddler, it will count toward the 'read two hours with an adult' part of the mental aspiration for kids.

I do want more things to do with my tots once they get all their skills, but then, I always want more stuff for my toddlers.

Yes, I completely agree. I also love to nurture my sim's little ones and so Clingy is definitely one of my preferred toddler traits. It works really well when you have a freelance/work from home or stay at home caregiver to build skills (and values/manners). Plus it gives personality and fits perfectly with my family's story, which is always the reason I choose a particular trait, regardless of difficulty. I haven't had the chance to try out Wild, Independent or Fussy yet, but I'll look forward to the drama! I also love Silly and I'll be trying out Inquisitive soon.

I also hope we get more to do with our toddlers (and babies), e.g. buggies/strollers, changing tables, more toys etc. I just love family style play.
    I know a lot of simmers have issues with the high chair, but I haven't really had any major problems with it. I don't often play with free will on though and my toddler has almost maxed her Thinking skill so that might be why? My household also live in a two story home, but as my toddler is clingy and has a somewhat anxious/overprotective Daddy who likes his routine, they're always together during the day so it all plays out smoothly.
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member

Yep, after the skills, I concentrate mostly on whims. My first trait to give children is Incredibly Friendly. It makes the making friends section of the social aspiration super quick so I can rack up those points. :D

baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I love them! My game is so boring and lifeless without them, i’m really happy they added them. I understand if that’s not your play style though. Whatever floats your boat. ;)
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Toddlers are my favorite lifestage. I wouldn't play without them.
  • Options
    LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    They can be fustrating but after I am done grumbling, I smile because that is soooooo realistic!~ <3 toddlers were the missing link that brought me to Sims 4, they are the best in franchise hands down!~

love all the traits they offer, i have a clingy lil miss now and she is sweet, shy and loves her teen parents. She also calms down from fears fast after getting love from her mommy and daddy~ its so cute!~ my tots i play on 21 days (custom ages via MCCC) but i started playing with aging off and taking my time its even better. I even wait a bit after they maxed skills to enjoy them with everything maxed out <3
  • Options
    jupkmnjupkmn Posts: 98 Member
    I don't find so, I actually think TS4 toddlers are really independent. Usually, I just make a bunch of salads and when my toddler needs to eat, I just open the fridge and drag the portion to where the toddler is. The only thing I find annoying is the fact that sometimes they chose some random places to eat and leave the empty plates that are too far away.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I rarely maxed out toddlers skill (without cheat) unless I planned to play as that toddler until adulthood to begin with. I usually just ignore them.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited April 2019
    I love the toddlers, they're so cute. I was so disappointed when they weren't in the game when it released that it made me not play.

The only thing I dislike about toddlers and children is the constant mess they make with paint splatter. It's just so unrealistic for a child to do this all the time and the fact that disciplining them for it has no effect beyond filling the responsibility meter. I would like that they can learn not to do something after being disciplined. Pets can learn not to do naughty things after being disciplined so why can't children?
  • Options
    Had to break down and cheat their needs; got in a spiral where all four family members had less than 5% energy and less than 5% hunger, which meant nobody could sleep or eat, since everyone interrupted eachother or themselves. In order to not have the adults die on me I had to cheat the kids to full needs so the adults could sleep.