Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New freelancer careers, new content

Comments

• Options
    simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    There's a lot of potential with those freelancer careers, I can see them adding more and more over time, and modders making custom ones as well. Might be a little odd that they went with three things that are already in the game as it is (sims can do freelance programming if their skill is high enough, and the other two are basically the painter and writer careers without the regular working hours), but maybe that's just for testing the waters before they come up with things like freelance contract killer... Okay, maybe not, but... you get the idea.

I wish they had done a photographer freelancer career.

They said it's something they could expand on in the future, maybe, so there is the possibility it could be one day.
    Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I think they concentrated on things that could be done using the computer -- writing and programming obviously, but they said your artist Sim needed to put the work on the tablet for it to register.
  • Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    I have to admit, the new career is pretty interesting and finally makes the 'rabbithole' bore a thing of the past. That being said, I really hope they add Entertainment on there. It would be nice to finally go out and experience show gigs around the neighborhoods.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Laptops being patched in? Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss. I sure as heck wasnt getting StrangerVille just so my Sims could use a laptop. That makes my day!
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Freelancer careers seem interesting, but why are jobs called gigs? For me, gigs are performances (on stage and so on). I think the word commission would fit better there.
    But yes, it's awesome to see new things. Yes, these do remind self-employment in The Sims 3, but instead of finding a way to make money, sims find jobs they can do to earn money (that one reminds me of skill opportunities in The Sims 3).

I just wish they had chosen other topics than artist/computer/writer because these are already in the game from the beginning. But on the other hand we can't expect tons of new animations in a free patch. The new desk clutter is adorable and finally men get decent non-juvenile pants.

Those were likely the easiest to implement starting out, plus they're base game so everyone has them. They also make sense because they're you're most likely to find them in Real Life. I mean, you don't really see freelance Astronauts or Secret Agents.

One of the biggest complaints players have had about the careers is the "homework" assignments that take Sims' time away from social activities or family life. Now we can have jobs that have no homework required. That's a big plus.

I've been using mods that add Work From Home options to those careers (plus others) with the Freelance feature I won't have to use those mods, or maybe I send my Sim through the traditional careers then when they max level I'll switch them to freelancing.

Finally, with the mechanic in place we could see additional freelance opportunities. For example, if we got a tweak to photography now that it's base game, we could maybe see a freelance photographer career. Or if you have JA a freelance archaeologist (a gig to find a particular relic, so you have to go to the jungle, dig up some relics then analyze them to find the one you need). Maybe even freelance childcare for folks who own Parenthood. It's a matter of the devs figuring out what sort of skills/activities can be integrated into the new system.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Dreamie209 wrote: »
    I have to admit, the new career is pretty interesting and finally makes the 'rabbithole' bore a thing of the past. That being said, I really hope they add Entertainment on there. It would be nice to finally go out and experience show gigs around the neighborhoods.

If you're playing a large household rabbit holes come in handy -- I can send the rest of my Sims off to work/school and concentrate on my freelancer along with family members not at work or school. Will also make vacationing easier because I don't have to worry about if I have enough vacation time; I can just skip a few gig days while I'm in Granite Falls or Selvadorada, or even pack along the laptop and/or sketch pad and do a couple of gigs while I'm off vacationing.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I just wish they had chosen other topics than artist/computer/writer because these are already in the game from the beginning.

Well they're basegame and from a time we didn't have City Living semi-active careers yet, but I think the new format is what these jobs should have been to begin with.

Some branches however would not suit freelancing like patron of the arts, so I'm glad we'll have both options from now on.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    There's a lot of potential with those freelancer careers, I can see them adding more and more over time, and modders making custom ones as well. Might be a little odd that they went with three things that are already in the game as it is (sims can do freelance programming if their skill is high enough, and the other two are basically the painter and writer careers without the regular working hours), but maybe that's just for testing the waters before they come up with things like freelance contract killer... Okay, maybe not, but... you get the idea.

I wish they had done a photographer freelancer career.

This would be great. Hopefully if they get a good feedback from simmers about this new type of career they'll implement photographer next.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    edited April 2019
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I wonder if a private detective career could be done as a freelance career. Your sim checks to see what detective "gigs" are available and sets out to accomplish them. "Case Of The Missing Piano" for example.

That would be so much fun! I really hope they do expand the freelance work in the future. Sounds like it's gonna be a big hit.

Sounds fun, but I guess they will only make Freelance careers that can be played with only the base game? Detective would require GTW ep. Could be done as an addition to that ep though :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I wonder if a private detective career could be done as a freelance career. Your sim checks to see what detective "gigs" are available and sets out to accomplish them. "Case Of The Missing Piano" for example.

That would be so much fun! I really hope they do expand the freelance work in the future. Sounds like it's gonna be a big hit.

Sounds fun, but I guess they will only make Freelance careers that can be played with only the base game? Detective would require GTW ep. Could be done as an addition to that ep though :)

Didn't they implement the photography skill in a patch some months ago?
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Freelance careers should be done with BASE game careers due to the fact that not everyone will have other packs that might have possible freelance careers.

I would love a freelance private detective career but if it requires GTW, then that may not happen as not everyone owns GTW.
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Laptops being patched in? Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss. I sure as heck wasnt getting StrangerVille just so my Sims could use a laptop. That makes my day!

I was going to ask if that was going to be patched in or if it was for SV only - So happy it’s being patched in :D

giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Gonna be honest, I just want that white shelf.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    I really love the new freelancer careers (I’m a freelancer myself) and I really, really hope they will expand them in the future with:
    - Photography (photography)
    - Catering (cooking)
    - Something with Handiness
    - Interior Styling (really want this!)
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Irdiwen wrote: »
    I really love the new freelancer careers (I’m a freelancer myself) and I really, really hope they will expand them in the future with:
    - Photography (photography)
    - Catering (cooking)
    - Something with Handiness
    - Interior Styling (really want this!)

@Irdiwen OMG, yes catering would be awesome. :)
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    Singing would be fun as a freelance, too. Or wait, maybe the singing skill was introduced with City Living, so much have been patched inbto the base game... since there is not already a formal Singing career, it would be nice at least having it as a freelance option.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    veronica55veronica55 Posts: 106 Member
    edited April 2019
    So feelance artists are basically just graphic designers. Ok, cool. I don't mind having other 2 freelance careers as options too. Sounds fine.

But I think they should add some careers for the Get famous EP as well. Currently It's only about acting, and being a youtuber. How about pop stars, rock stars, singers, classical pianists etc. How about adding some new instruments for our sims to play? Drums, electro-guitars, saxophone, flutes, ability to create a band and play together, become a famous music group together. That would be amazing.
    May be we just need a "musicians" game pack that goes together with Get Famous EP and works fine without it.

Besides that, we also need some more normal jobs like teacher, academician, firefighter, pilot, architect, engineer, lawyer, etc.
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,431 Member
    edited April 2019
    I was beginning to get bored with careers available, this should be interesting. If it’s somewhat similar to the acting career, I hope the pay is better. At the max of the career my sim couldn’t move out of her starter home. This might actually make me train my programming skill, tbh I haven’t trained that skill in years in any of my sims
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I wish we had a freelance DJ career. GT offers such great tools for being a DJ but it can only be a self registered job. Like the new career options :)
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited April 2019
    I honestly can't wait for the freelance careers. They will be perfect for the sims that I like to keep at home.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited April 2019
    Liked it too. Its a cool new addition that we get for free and it contains a wide list of options for our game.

Recently I was thinking how our career and work system is kind of outdated and needs new upgraded and options.
    Since TS1 we never really had a proper part time jobs system. I think we did have something like that in TS2, but I would love to have this more expanded in the sims 4.
    As well as a way where sims actually get hired for a position or job according to their skills, experience and college degree (if uni comes out). Also owning a business needs serious updates. Its not exciting enough to own a business. We should be able to own multiple, work from home and let employees or a selected manager run the store like in TS2.
    With this update, i hope the developers are having a more open eye for this sort of stuff.
  • Options
    CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    Freelancer careers seem interesting, but why are jobs called gigs? For me, gigs are performances (on stage and so on). I think the word commission would fit better there.
    But yes, it's awesome to see new things. Yes, these do remind self-employment in The Sims 3, but instead of finding a way to make money, sims find jobs they can do to earn money (that one reminds me of skill opportunities in The Sims 3).

I just wish they had chosen other topics than artist/computer/writer because these are already in the game from the beginning. But on the other hand we can't expect tons of new animations in a free patch. The new desk clutter is adorable and finally men get decent non-juvenile pants.

I was surprised photographer wasn't an option, since they patched photography as a base game feature and it's hard to earn money from it
    caitytrina.png
  • Options
    Cynel1Cynel1 Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited April 2019

still i dont think a Private eye would make sense without get to work
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,431 Member
    CaityTrina wrote: »

I was surprised photographer wasn't an option, since they patched photography as a base game feature and it's hard to earn money from it

Or even a carpenter with enough woodworking or even a plumber/mechanic with enough handiness. Though they might not be as interesting, but it would provide use for other skills