Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are your sims Practically Perfect or Fatally Flawed?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    KeiomestreKeiomestre Posts: 195 Member
    edited March 2019
    Just depends on the sim. I like playing both ways.
    To me is all about the personality I want to give the sim, it doesn't matter if the trait is beneficial or disadvantageous to the sim. In my favorite family (the one on my signature picture), everybody but the youngest boy has some "bad" traits: The father is a "loser" and "absent-minded", the oldest daughter is "clumsy" and "mean-spirited", the mother is "insane" and "kleptomaniac" and the youngest daughter is "grumpy". The mother is also a "slob", but this trait is more good than bad, as being able to ignore messy environments and lick plates to satiate the hunger is good.

"Clumsy" and "Absent-Minded" seem to be common on my families.

Sometimes, when the personality of the sim changes too much from what I planned with the traits, I cheat to change the traits.
    ..... ..... ..... ..... My favorite Sims 3 family: THE ENFADONHOS!..... ..... ..... .....
    Vgfhu74.jpg
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    It depends on what kind of story I'm trying to play. Sometimes I just pick specific traits for a particular career or situation to make them as suitable for it as possible - that would mean choosing good or bad traits for it. Sometimes, I just feel very random and will randomize the sim. I then try to have my sim work towards LTRs that will help change them and save up for plastic surgery if they need it. It's not always easy, but it's fun and different every time!
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    I like making "perfect" sims with traits that make their lives go smoothly. I don't use traits that I think are bad.
    As Mary Poppins says, "I'm practically perfect in every way."
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited March 2019
    Over 7 years ago I wanted to get a mix of traits in my sims, but not randomly since those traits usually don't fit together. So I tried assigning traits according to their zodiac sign. Here is a list I made based on one made previously by another simmer. Since then many more traits have been added to Sims 3 but I never bothered to update the list to include them.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I like to give my sims a mix of good and bad traits. Nobody's perfect.
    Some of my more interesting sims carried a few negative traits to their personality. I always loved the ones who didn't put up with other sims snarky ways.
  • Options
    buffyballoonbuffyballoon Posts: 67 Member
    I really would love to give my sims more bad traits but its soooooo hard!!! I do sometimes though. Although, depends on the sims and what I think their traits should be and what route they'll go in life.
    sup.

giphy.gif
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I give my sims a variety of traits. If it's going to be Evil or some other trait that I consider to be negative, I pre plan first. I usually have something specific in mind for them. I find these traits really make the game lots more fun.

I have avoided Socially Awkward trait for years because the one time I tried it was with a Sim that I wanted to become a romantic interest of Haley, one of my more wayward sims, and that Socially Awkward sim was a frustrating disaster so I stopped using that trait after just one negative experience. But I recently had a socially awkward townie interact with my sims and I thought that was hysterically funny so promptly added a new socially awkward sim to my household - if I don't have any plans for that sim other than general entertainment I'm sure he won't frustrate me and all will be good.

I also banned a hot headed sim for years as she picked fights with another sim in the household. Then one day I added her to another household and she hasn't been involved in any fights. I find evil sims are fun too. One of my sims in my Isla Paradiso Bunch videos is evil and her lifetime wish is the see the ghost of her wealthy spouse. She is in a large household and has plenty of free time. Consequently I'm finding her checking out all the new sims in town and finding out if they are wealthy or not. I find her antics very amusing. She's been in my videos for over 60 episodes, just in the background doing her own thing and so far she's not found anyone to marry but I still hold out hope for her - maybe.

I dislike the daredevil trait because I don't like seeing them eat dirt. But do have a few sims with that trait. I don't avoid it totally but do try to not actually see them eating their dirt.

Another thing I consider, sometimes, is the hidden traits. They have an influence over a sim's behaviour and that can add extra variety and fun.
  • Options
    AlwaysAskingAlwaysAsking Posts: 1,403 Member
    I like making "perfect" sims with traits that make their lives go smoothly. I don't use traits that I think are bad.
    I hesitated between "perfect" and "depends"

If it's a Sim I'm going to play a lot, I rarely give them problematic traits, except hot headed now and then. But if they are going to be peripheral sims, I'll throw in a few bad ones now and then.

Question: If you try to re-trait a townie, do the changes usually work for you? Because in the vast majority of mine, the pop up whims and thoughts and emotions etc. still correspond to the old traits they had before I changed them in CAS.
    SqxdF0m.png

Gallery ID is ARIANNANEAL
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2019
    I must confess I find it very hard to choose bad traits, I always end up choosing the perfect choice for whatever direction I have planned for my sim. I’ve been playing the game for nine years now and only now am I starting to realize how that is not necessarily the right choice per se, that giving them not so good traits can be so much fun! It even opens up corners in the game I didn’t know it had. Point is...., it’s almost compulsory for me to do the perfection thing, it’s a real fight to let it go somehow lol. I downloaded a dog the other day and saw he is agressive. Immediately I started looking for a replacement and then, NO, I remembered my resolution. Agressive it will be.

So, I chose what applies to me, but it’s under development :D
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    EsReverniDrawrofEsReverniDrawrof Posts: 30 Member
    I like to give my sims a mix of good and bad traits. Nobody's perfect.
    I feel that any fictional character is more interesting, and seems more real if I can relate to them in some way. Real humans aren't perfect, they're multi-faceted, in fact if they're too perfect they seem more INhuman (like a robot or a Stepford Wife). Early on I created perfect Sims, and my gameplay felt stifled as I tried not to mess up their lives too much. Like any overpowered character, "God mode" gets so boring, and once I started balancing their traits I began to relax and have more fun (like a wealthy Sim who's a klepto).
  • Options
    AlwaysAskingAlwaysAsking Posts: 1,403 Member
    @EsReverniDrawrof

The stepford wives thought is a good point. I should give more of mine some flaws. I’d given two sims the hot headed trait, and then they both fell in love with the same sim, so I had a love triangle that was driving me crazy, lol

But it was fun to see how easily the women could placate one of them, while the other one raged for hours, or cried too.

So, each one is different for some reason

I might try a stepford wives family, and see if all of them basically end up the same way over time. 🤔
    SqxdF0m.png

Gallery ID is ARIANNANEAL
  • Options
    JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    I usually play as a single YA female sim that has similar traits to my own interests in the game so she can at least enjoy the things I suggests she do.

I try to give diverse traits to townie sims I make to keep interactions with them interesting. I think if I played the game more (I build more often than I play) or with larger families I would have more diverse traits with them to see how they all interact and what sort of situations occur. I would image that those who play more often/more sims at once have seen more of the game.

I am really intrigued by the Stepford Wifes idea. I am curious how many generations a Mary Sue town would stay that way.

• Options
    tallcoolonetallcoolone Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited April 2019
    Perfect of COURSE, I ain't got time to be cleaning up my little worker bees' self induced problems and they have work to do and simoleons to make!

I'm totally amused by the flawed though :)
    Post edited by tallcoolone on
    My Page https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/tallcoolone
    Send me a friend request for Simport

• Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Most times I give them one or two bad traits, but I do play both other ways, too. I'd say it's 60-20-20.
    p8L4V6v.png