Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things you didn't know!

Comments

• Options
    SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    I didn't know that
    Heroes of Strangerville got fanmail! My Sim just got a spoiled cupcake in the mail :joy:
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I am sure this has been stated before, but if you can stand (or like me, prefer) living in an apartment there are some benefits:

Most importantly is that the rent never increases. So if you have made the calculations and realize you can afford it, feel happy about buying all the expensive furniture, upgrade everything, install a pool, run the thermostat on High all the time... whatever. The rent never increases.

It's because it is actual RENT, while what you pay on houses is a MORTAGE. Not the same thing.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited March 2019
    I am sure this has been stated before, but if you can stand (or like me, prefer) living in an apartment there are some benefits:

Most importantly is that the rent never increases. So if you have made the calculations and realize you can afford it, feel happy about buying all the expensive furniture, upgrade everything, install a pool, run the thermostat on High all the time... whatever. The rent never increases.

It's because it is actual RENT, while what you pay on houses is a MORTAGE. Not the same thing.

How do you get a mortgage in The Sims? I've always had to buy the houses outright... I could rent the apartments but the house is had to be bought? I didn't realize that the rent could never be increased in The Sims, but that makes sense. However is also unrealistic because in real life rent can go up at any time since somebody else can raise your rent. I don't use the Sims Apartments but I kind of wish the rent would increase once in awhile to make it feel more real haha!

That being said, it'd be fun to have a real estate pack or something to make it more realistic haha! Where you could either rent or mortgage apartments and either rent or mortgage houses. And throwing some townhouses into the game while they're at it haha!. Make it so that the rent increases every year or so to make it realistic, and the mortgage could increase every 5 years or so to make that realistic haha! But like in real life have the rent continue forever and the mortgage continues for whatever would be the equivalent of like 15 sim years or so and then they don't have to pay it anymore.

• Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited March 2019
    How do you get a mortgage in The Sims? I've always had to buy the houses outright... I could rent the apartments but the house is had to be bought? I didn't realize that the rent could never be increased in The Sims, but that makes sense.

Bad wording on my part.
    The idea is that in houses, the monthly (aka weekly) cost increases or decreases depending on what the total value of the property is, which doesn't happen in an apartment, which instead have a fixed cost BUT a much higher starting fee as well as the base fee being much higher. It simulates a mortage + house owner's insurance, while the fixed rent for apartments simulates well... renting an apartment.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    How do you get a mortgage in The Sims? I've always had to buy the houses outright... I could rent the apartments but the house is had to be bought? I didn't realize that the rent could never be increased in The Sims, but that makes sense.

Bad wording on my part.
    The idea is that in houses, the monthly (aka weekly) cost increases or decreases depending on what the total value of the property is, which doesn't happen in an apartment, which instead have a fixed cost BUT a much higher starting fee as well as the base fee being much higher. It simulates a mortage + house owner's insurance, while the fixed rent for apartments simulates well... renting an apartment.

Oh okay. But normally was a mortgage you lock it in for like 5 years or whatever so it doesn't go up or down at all. Even if the property does go up or down. It will go up or down in the five years time but by then you've paid 5 years of interest on it so you can usually renegotiate it to keep it pretty much the same.
    For example my own mortgage went down after the first five years of it, even though the property value had increased 50%. After the next five years we're up, the property value had increased about 300% and that did raise it, but it only raised about $15 a month and went back to what it was originally.

Although that would be the same if you mortgage an apartment, or rent a house. The type of building shouldn't make a difference really to how the rent or mortgage works. And usually a mortgage is a cheaper monthly payment than a rent would be in the first place. Or bi-weekly, most people I know pay their mortgage every two weeks just so they can get it paid quicker. But either way I think it would be really cool to have some kind of real estate in this game where you can mortgage apartments or houses :-) and also the chance to rent houses not just Apartments. Just to make it seem a little more realistic haha! Not too many people I know in real life actually buy their entire house outright without a mortgage. Actually I know some people do, but I should have said nobody I know has been able to hahaha
  • Options
    LaurenNumberOneLaurenNumberOne Posts: 54 Member

Maybe you mean it's more like property taxes. Your mortgage doesn't go up based on changes in your property values. You agree to a price and you get a loan for that much and you pay it off over time. But the bank can't go back and decide you owe more because now it's worth more. Your taxes can increase though, because those are based on the value of your property.

That's a good tip about living in the apartments, though. I didn't really think of that benefit before. I like the restrictions on building, too. It can be frustrating, but it keeps it from getting out of hand. My houses always end up turning into these insane monstrosities over time instead of just moving to a bigger house like a normal person.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    When there is a heat wave (or maybe also just warm weather), when you zoom out in the world, you can see heat waves. I thought that was a lovely detail and just found it today :p
  • Options
    My sim is pregnant, she can't workout but she can "swim here" in the pool and repair a broken vacuum. oO

and drink 'wine'...... Had my questions today
  • Options
    mayonaisejar44mayonaisejar44 Posts: 20 Member
    Sims can drink whatever they're drinking in their hand when taking a bath.

Also, sims can be show hatred towards LGBT couple sims who show their love outside of their home. It first happened to me with Vivan and she said "Uh-uh!" While thinking about my sim and har a ⊘ in her thought bubble. C'est la vie i guess
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    @mayonaisejar44 This has actually happened to me with straight couples, too. Does your Vivan have the Unflirty trait by any chance? My unflirty simself often gets whims to berate sims who are showing affection in public.
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who has never done this?

Is that true? I thought they all picked up from the same plate. I might have to try this.

This opens up so many doors as well as windows for meeee tytyty
  • Options
    So one today just told me that turning your lights on to Auto lights so that they go off when you leave a room actually saves money on your bills. Never knew that haha
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Just noticed that the hospital (if you have GTW) is called 'Mustard Clinic' kinda like 'the Mayo Clinic' but just a different condiment and I couldn't stop laughing at that for a whileee sksk
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    TIL If youre a vampire and you bite sims with an infected trait, the trait will automatically transfer to your sim and your sim will be instantly get possesed.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    TIL If youre a vampire and you bite sims with an infected trait, the trait will automatically transfer to your sim and your sim will be instantly get possesed.

That's cool. I like how they're always thinking about other features from other packs working with a new one.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

Kind of like....a certain disease. That's really interesting.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    edited March 2019
    I'm a complete idiot.

I just realised that the interactions in the social wheels are in alphabetical order.

Why, after so many years playing the Sims 4, have I just realised this?!
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    February11February11 Posts: 12,661 Member
    I'm a complete plum.

I just realised that the interactions in the social wheels are in alphabetical order.

I didn't know that either. I'll have to check that out today!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    edited March 2019
    I'm a complete plum.

Don’t be too hard on yourself. I hadn’t noticed either. :D

• Options
    SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member

Oh gosh, yes. I had a sim solving the mystery in Strangerville and she was infected for awhile. While infected Vlad broke in to her house, and he bit her and became possessed. It was funny watching him sneak in and then do the possessed walk out.
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
  • Options
    Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    I'm a complete plum.

Don't feel bad, I just learned that not too long ago from watching TheSimSupply. He didn't know either iirc.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I'm a complete plum.

Add me to the list of those who didn't realize this!
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited March 2019
    I didn't know it either. That should make finding certain interactions a lot easier - provided that the game works the same way in my language and they didn't just translate the words and left them where they were. Now if someone could make a similar discovery about how the game arranges sims' inventories, I would be very happy!
  • Options
    LithilienLithilien Posts: 92 Member
    I didn't know it either. That should make finding certain interactions a lot easier - provided that the game works the same way in my language and they didn't just translate the words and left them where they were. Now if someone could make a similar discovery about how the game arranges sims' inventories, I would be very happy!

I'd be over the moon B) !!!! I'm having a hard time finding back potions and such....
  • Options
    I'm a complete plum.

Oh my.. GOD! How many times did i go through the whole menu 3 times over and over again looking for a certain interaction while I could just be counting letters in alphabetic order..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top