Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does a bathroom sink in the kitchen bother you?

emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
Hey fellow simmers! Another silly poll for ya. :p

This is something that has been bothering me for years of simming, back to The Sims 2 days...

How many of you go into a premade home (or have your sims visit a townie in a premade home) and instantly get annoyed finding something like this...

darn-sinks-1.jpg

...an obvious bathroom sink placed in the kitchen to act as the kitchen sink. :unamused:
I swear to goodness this happens like 80% of the time I (or my sim) enters an EA built home. IT DRIVES ME NUTS!! :confounded:
It's the perfectionist in me, what can I say. ;)

So you promptly replace that bad boy to put in a proper kitchen sink!

darn-sinks-2.jpg

Better. :relieved:

**The same goes for a kitchen sink placed in a bathroom. I mean, what the HEY EA!?** :grimace:

And don't even get me started when sims wash their dishes in the bathroom sink! :angry::weary:

So yeah, does a bathroom sink in the kitchen bother you (or vise versa) or not?

:blush:
52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg

Does a bathroom sink in the kitchen bother you? 66 votes

YES!
36%
nickibitswardIdontrcallGraceyManoremorrilljillbgGemSixxKarritzlarrylove12IreneSwiftSindocatannaliese39pandabear1836luxsylvancocoZeeGeejordandRedShoe7ClarionOfJoySimsandraAriaMad2 24 votes
No
63%
EvalenEmily4331Hejixcarlystur03Rflong7Jessa_DakkarAthenaOnyxAmphoraAnmirlaCororondreamerz13ApparentlyAwesomezagboorulesMikezumiJoAnne65cwaddellAlexaKryigazorFairy_HappyBettyboop55 42 votes

Comments

• Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    No
    It doesn't bother me because some homes just need to look a little cheaper. :D
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    YES!
    Yes because they refuse to use the dish washer and they tend to go there to wash their hands after going to bathroom lol
  • Options
    KynanKynan Posts: 468 Member
    No
    I would say yes, but my Sims love to wash their dishes in the bathroom sink anyway, so... :D
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2019
    No
    This would only bother me a little if it were my active household's kitchen, unless they just couldn't afford to replace it.

Sims washing their dishes in the bathroom or elsewhere will happen if the distance between where they and the dirty dishes are to the bathroom sink is less than the distance to the dishwasher or kitchen sink (this can be a huge gotcha with formal dining rooms), if someone or something is blocking the kitchen plumbing or already has it in use, or of course if the plumbing is need of cleaning or repair. This bothers me, especially on community lots where the "customers" shouldn't be washing their own dishes anyway, but am not sure it matters what kinds of sinks are placed in which rooms.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    No
    No. It's the Sims.... to me. :lol:
  • Options
    WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    No
    It would bother me IRL (because doing dishes in a porcelain sink is a pain), but not in the Sims. Because... well, it´s Sims! :D
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    No
    No. I'd never build it that way myself but if it's already built whatever. Then again my opinions are already pretty low of premade houses so why care about a sink when the whole thing is... meh.
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    No

I don't use the bathroom sink in the kitchen for my active sims but I will use one that looks like a kitchen one in the bathroom ( the stainless steel one) if I have counters in the bathroom, because it has better hygiene value. Although I most often use the stand alone Asian bathroom sink and mirror.

As far as sims using the bathroom sink to wash dishes, that does bother me. I rearrange the placement of bathroom sinks, kitchen sinks and dishwashers so that my active sims use the right ones. Sometimes that is difficult because of the simplistic routing algorithm that Sims 3 uses. All distances are calculated as if all the things are on one floor.

As an example, when my sim child comes home from school and I send him to do his homework, he doesn't go to the empty desk in the study right off the front hall. Instead he goes all the way upstairs to the empty desk in the bedroom on the second floor where the desk is right above the front door.

The Goth manor really points out the problems with this routing. When that is my active household I always move the bathroom sink in the downstairs bathroom to the opposite wall and place a dish washer in counters in the kitchen on the other side of the stairs close to the diningroom. But the real weird one is when Cornelia Goth uses the toilet in the master bath she passes by the sinks in her bathroom, goes down the stairs and washes her hands in the sink in the downstairs bathroom. Why because the routing algorithm calculates that sink to be closer. I always make the master bathroom smaller so that the toilet is closer to the sinks in that bathroom and not right above the sink in the downstairs bathroom.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    YES!
    Just a bit. Not to the extent that I edit the neighbor's house for them (unless I am being nice and giving them a do-over anyway), but I like clearly kitchen features in the kitchen, and bathroom features in the bath. My kitchens have a dishwasher AND a sink, just in case of post-meal pile-up, but generally my bathrooms are not adjacent to dining areas - I made that mistake in one early build, a powder-room adjoining dining room and kitchen, and my Sims ALWAYS washed their dishes in the bathroom sink. That bugs me enough that I now expressly build to avoid it. Also, double vanity sinks in my master baths, so there's no waiting. But only one shower, for reasons. ;)
  • Options
    BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,774 Member
    No

I picked no because I'm almost sure I've used that sink in the kitchen before. :D
  • Options
    HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    No
    Wut? There's a difference?
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    YES!
    YES! As I'm tending to keep things as normal as possible in my game, it bothers me because up til now I have never come across a bathroom sink in a kitchen... :s
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    No
    Yeah, it's a Sims game and to keep costs down in starter houses, it's the cheap sink or no sink. :lol:

I've not seen everything yet so I can't say it hasn't happened to someone somewhere. :cookie:
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    No
    After all these years of playing TS2 and then TS3 it no longer bothers me. Maxis did bring out a Kitchens and Bathrooms pack for TS2 which went some way to soothing the indignant decorator in me but these items were not the cheapest. As for washing crockery in a bathroom sink it offends but as a student it was either use the sink in my bedroom or use the filthy sink in the communal kitchen. As for bathing, I would clean the filthy bathtub, use it and then leave it for the next person to clean. Nothing I am proud of but I did not go to University to be an unpaid maid to a lot of spoilt rich girls :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    No
    Now I have to wonder what someone from a time/place that does not have indoor plumbing might think if they ever saw this conversation. A bunch of players concerned about the kind of basin that provides hot and cold clean running water at all times, and further which room it's in? I'm suddenly feeling so...shallow. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    No
    My sims don't know or care what kind of sink they are using so it doesn't bother me. They care only about the value of any object and as long as my sims are getting good moodlets from their environment, I don't much care how they get it ;)
  • Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    YES!
    I voted yes because if I was creating a house I wouldn't put that type of sink in. If I moved my sims into a new house I would also change that sink out. It is clearly too small to wash dishes in, even though my sims have dishwashers.
  • Options
    AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    edited February 2019
    No
    Honestly I really haven’t noticed which sink belongs to a kitchen and which to a bathroom. I just choose a sink that I find to be prettier looking and use it to make my kitchens look pretty. :D

Never thought that there were certain sinks meant only for bathrooms :o

Dangit, now that this has been brought to my attention I’m never going to be able to add sinks to my kitchens in peace. Lol
  • Options
    KeiomestreKeiomestre Posts: 195 Member
    No
    I just went into the game to look at the sink of my current household's kitchen and guess which sink I've found. (yeah, the bathroom sink from your first picture) :blush:

What bothers me is the lack of sinks that stand in only one pedestal. I have several expansions and some stuff packs and yet the only one pedestal sink in my game is the $120 sink. Pedestal sinks are pretty commons where I live and The Sims 1 had more options, but here I'm limited to 1.
    ..... ..... ..... ..... My favorite Sims 3 family: THE ENFADONHOS!..... ..... ..... .....
    Vgfhu74.jpg
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2019
    YES!
    I voted yes. I know it's just a design issue, but no one would use a small porcelain sink in a kitchen in real life. I also get grossed out thinking about it because bathroom sinks aren't exactly the most germ-free considering what goes on in a bathroom. So seeing a bathroom sink in the kitchen where you prepare food for ingestion, well....just the thought of it made me lose my appetite, lol!
  • Options
    jordanfbrasiljordanfbrasil Posts: 102 Member
    YES!
    > @Waterdragon said:
    > It would bother me IRL (because doing dishes in a porcelain sink is a pain), but not in the Sims. Because... well, it´s Sims! :D

I totally agree with this. It's all dependant on the look of the sink to me (in Sims).
    U0tQRGg.png
  • Options
    ctthomasctthomas Posts: 136 Member
    It doesn't bother me, because it's done to keep costs down in starter homes.

BUT I do replace them so-to-speak, because I generally renovate just about everything over time.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    No
    My sims get whatever they can "afford" at the time. If all they can afford is a bathroom sink...then so be it. :smirk:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    No
    It's only a sink and my sims just get what they can afford and the sink os often doing double duty as they start building their home anyways because they're most often starting out on an empty lot and having to build a house themselves as they earn the money.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    YES!
    igazor wrote: »
    Now I have to wonder what someone from a time/place that does not have indoor plumbing might think if they ever saw this conversation. A bunch of players concerned about the kind of basin that provides hot and cold clean running water at all times, and further which room it's in? I'm suddenly feeling so...shallow. :/

Gee, way to make me feel horrible @igazor ! :lol:

;)
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg