Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Skinwalkers instead of Witches?

FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
Everyone is talking about classical witches, but maybe they based witches on Native American culture this time around.
Skin-walkers are basically magicians/ witches as well.
It would certainly make sense with the desert setting, as the Navajo tribe also lived in deserts

"In Navajo culture, a skin-walker (Navajo: yee naaldlooshii) is a type of harmful witch "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin-walker

(If any SimGuru reads this I want to tell you that I would love a Farming Expansion with farm animals, Nectar making, canning and off the grid living, thank u and praise the mother Bella Goth)
a256aFi.gif
Post edited by FreezerBunnyCowplant on

Comments

• Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    At this point, I don't care. As long as it isn't another realism based pack.
  • Options

Me too honestly :D
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    It’s clearly Strangetown though, not some random desert with Native American tribes.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    I don’t really care as long as my character can learn magic lol!
  • Options
    SimsBroSimsBro Posts: 134 Member
    It feels a bit niche for Sims, especially when most would probably want classic Witches.

But I'd love if we actually had ways of customizing our magic users when we get the ever so desired Witches pack.
    That way you could make Skinwalkers if so desired.

If anything this new pack will be "occult" only as far as more alien/sci fi content rather than actual magic and fantasy.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    heh I'm here hoping it'll be as real as possible but maybe it'll pacify some supernatural lovers then.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    heh I'm here hoping it'll be as real as possible but maybe it'll pacify some supernatural lovers then.

We haven't had an occult pack in two years. Realism players on the other hand have gotten Pets, Seasons, Fame, Laundry, etc etc etc... it's about freaking time we get another occult, but it seems that isn't going to happen, again.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    If it's not Witches I hope we get an actual Supernatural Expansion in the future like Makin' Magic with multiple fleshed-out occults like Witches, Fairies and Werewolves.
    If some players don't like occults they can skip the pack and everyone will be happy
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »

We haven't had an occult pack in two years. Realism players on the other hand have gotten Pets, Seasons, Fame, Laundry, etc etc etc... it's about freaking time we get another occult, but it seems that isn't going to happen, again.

I dunno to me it seems very much an unrealistic gameplay pack right now.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    SimsBroSimsBro Posts: 134 Member
    Yeah, it doesn't have realistic vibes to it.

It's just that I think people often associate Occult with Fantasy and Witches/Mermaids/Werewolves etc rather than Sci-fi or Aliens which is what the pack seems to be about.
  • Options
    TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    @elelunicy I'm not getting a Strangetown vibe from this. Strangetown was very much a desert, akin to Desert Oasis, except more secluded near mountains. This region is very much an arid area, but more of a red canyon region.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    @elelunicy I'm not getting a Strangetown vibe from this. Strangetown was very much a desert, akin to Desert Oasis, except more secluded near mountains. This region is very much an arid area, but more of a red canyon region.

It's not the first time they redid something from the past and make it feel new again.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    Are skin walkers an American thing? I've never heard of them and I'm actually disappointed as this new thing looks silly to me.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    mock68 wrote: »
    Are skin walkers an American thing? I've never heard of them and I'm actually disappointed as this new thing looks silly to me.

It's from Navajo myths and legends, which are an indigenous Native American tribe, so yes.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    CeCeDotCeCeDot Posts: 230 Member
    If it's not Witches I hope we get an actual Supernatural Expansion in the future like Makin' Magic with multiple fleshed-out occults like Witches, Fairies and Werewolves.
    If some players don't like occults they can skip the pack and everyone will be happy

Supernatural EP's with multiple occults will never give fleshed out occults. It's something that even SimGuruGrant acknowledged.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    CeCeDot wrote: »

Supernatural EP's with multiple occults will never give fleshed out occults. It's something that even SimGuruGrant acknowledged.

They were fleshed out in Sims 3 Supernatural. And if they reduce the number to the 3 main occults: Witches, Fairies and Werewolves, they will be even more fleshed out and can interact with each other better since they're created simultaniously within one Expansion pack.

And do you honestly think they are gonna bring back Witches, Fairies AND Werewolves if they only come in Game Packs? If so we'll probably only get one of them, since you can't do a Game Pack for every occult
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2019

They were fleshed out in Sims 3 Supernatural. And if they reduce the number to the 3 main occults: Witches, Fairies and Werewolves, they will be even more fleshed out and can interact with each other better since they're created simultaniously within one Expansion pack.

And do you honestly think they are gonna bring back Witches, Fairies AND Werewolves if they only come in Game Packs? If so we'll probably only get one of them, since you can't do a Game Pack for every occult

In my opinion the occults in supernatural were quite shallow to me.

Seems grant is more for focused game packs instead of 3 in 1 EP
  • Options
    edited February 2019

He's clearly talking about Late Night, which I agree on since it was a city theme. But Supernatural is a pack that focuses on occults and in my opinion the occults in Supernatural have been the best in Sims 3.
    And have you ever played Makin' Magic? This expansion has been the best in Sims 1.
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    kayt45kayt45 Posts: 434 Member
    I agree it’s probably too niche. Also skin walkers are probably more closely identified with something like werewolves than witches (they can be shaman but don’t have to be). They are also supposed to be terrifying, nightmarish things which haven’t been fluffed up for the purpose of story telling over the years so don’t think EA would ever use them.

I think customizing occult sims in general would be really cool though.
    SimsBro wrote: »
    It feels a bit niche for Sims, especially when most would probably want classic Witches.

But I'd love if we actually had ways of customizing our magic users when we get the ever so desired Witches pack.
    That way you could make Skinwalkers if so desired.

If anything this new pack will be "occult" only as far as more alien/sci fi content rather than actual magic and fantasy.

• Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    You also aren't supposed to talk about them at all in their culture, which is why so little is known about them. I feel like putting them in a silly cartoon game would be incredibly offensive to their culture so they wouldn't do that. I am fascinated with them though and love to read about them, but honestly they terrify me LOL.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member

Yes, but The Sims 4 will never have all the occults we want because they will not release multiple GPs just to meet our demand, there is only 2/3 years of content left and we usually get only one GP or two a year. Do you remember how long its been that they released Vampires?
    I'd rather have some occults in GP, and others bundled together in an expansion, than having only vampires, aliens and witches in this game.
    I want robots, werewolves, mermaids, fairies, imaginary friends, zombies... I am not going to be satisfied if this iteration ends without me being able to play the game like i want!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I hope we get actual "classic" witches in a Makin' Magic Expansion, rather than a witches game pack
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options

He's clearly talking about Late Night, which I agree on since it was a city theme. But Supernatural is a pack that focuses on occults and in my opinion the occults in Supernatural have been the best in Sims 3.
    And have you ever played Makin' Magic? This expansion has been the best in Sims 1.

I've seen a tweet from Grant where he said the occults in TS3 supernaturals weren't as fleshed out due to it being 3-4 occults in one pack, but Twitter won't let me go back so far. To me werewolves were a joke,but they would have been regardless in TS3. But in TS4 they have potential if they are put in a game pack.
    And looking at TS4 EP's compared to TS3 a supernaturals EP will be very shallow if they add 3 occults in it. If they would make an EP focused on everything magic (just magic) that would be amazing as well.
  • Options
    Karon wrote: »

Yes, but The Sims 4 will never have all the occults we want because they will not release multiple GPs just to meet our demand, there is only 2/3 years of content left and we usually get only one GP or two a year. Do you remember how long its been that they released Vampires?
    I'd rather have some occults in GP, and others bundled together in an expansion, than having only vampires, aliens and witches in this game.
    I want robots, werewolves, mermaids, fairies, imaginary friends, zombies... I am not going to be satisfied if this iteration ends without me being able to play the game like i want!!!!

At least 3 years, so it could be longer. Werewolves deserve a GP for their own, so do fairies and mermaids in my opinion. Others could be a feature in other packs.
    If we demand and let our voices be heard about occults, they'll have to consider it at some point. I don't want to settle for less.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    mock68 wrote: »

It's a part of the Native American Navajo culture.

Yeah, I agree. I don't mind silly as long as it's not slapstick and it's not wholly targeted to an immature audience.