Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you find the Sims 4 challenging?

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Sometimes
    I'm part of a challenge team, so I know that there are ways to make The Sims 4 challenging. If people want more of a challenge from TS4, check us out or check out some of the challenges listed in the Legacy and Challenges section of the forum. I'm glad that the stand-alone game is not very difficult -- it gives us plenty of material to work with.
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited February 2019
    Seldom
    In terms of keeping my sims alive? Not at all. Unless they're like, vampires, and I gotta keep an eye on them so they don't wander out into the sun, and make sure they get enough blood, which they can't do autonomously. But my human sims will easily keep themselves alive with full autonomy on, unless they're literal babies.

For contrast, in my limited experience, Sims 2 is actually more of a challenge. The game is much more about managing the time and keeping your sims alive. So is The Sims 1, from what I've heard...

Sims 3 is only difficult when the savefile is so bloated, it takes a sim several hours to eat a sandwich.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    ajarvis999ajarvis999 Posts: 15 Member
    Sometimes
    I find it challenging mostly when I let the aspirations, task, and everything overwhelm me :D
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Almost always
    I do not cheat careers, aspirations, needs, relationships etc so it is always challenging. I set goals for myself gameplay wise too and there's always something to work towards.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    MissSassyMissSassy Posts: 9,731 Member
    Sometimes
    Some parts about ts4 are easy. But there are aspects that are super hard. In one of my saves I recently had a guy in the detective career (I named him Jacob Holt btw :D ), he is the founder of a family (hard with seasons at the beginning) and he has 4 kids with his wife. I try to get him to level 10 in the career, achieve his aspiration (friend of the world), try to get the toddlers at least to level 3 of each skill.

And then there’s also his wife who’s constantly in the red. She wants to be a bestselling author. I want her to become a global superstar this way but I mainly go to work with lake.

And playing like this (making it hard yourself actually xD ) is challenging.

Of course there are easy ways, too. That’s why I picked sometimes. :)
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Never
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    I'm part of a challenge team, so I know that there are ways to make The Sims 4 challenging. If people want more of a challenge from TS4, check us out or check out some of the challenges listed in the Legacy and Challenges section of the forum. I'm glad that the stand-alone game is not very difficult -- it gives us plenty of material to work with.

I don’t think imposing your own rules counts. You could say the same of any game.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Oh, right. The bugs can make it challenging - though mostly in the way of keeping my cool when they happen :#

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Never
    MVWdeZT wrote: »

I have even done "challenges" and found them.way TOO EASY.
  • Options
    MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    I'm not sure that the game itself has the specific objectives that would make it "challenging" or "not challenging." Some particular things can be challenging, but generally people either pick their own challenges or play out a story. It's not a game you can beat or fail at.
  • Options
    OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    Seldom
    Seldom, unfortunately. I can make my game-play more strict, but I wish the game itself had more challenging game-play and more consequences to the choices you made, or your Sim made in their actions.
  • Options
    AlwaysAskingAlwaysAsking Posts: 1,403 Member
    Sometimes
    I voted sometimes, mainly because I try to play big households a lot, and you can't win. If you turn autonomy off, your sims will stand there not going to the bathroom, etc. If you turn autonomy on they'll go to bed without going to the bathroom. It's too much micro managing.

With a couple of sims, I don't find too much challenging, besides the length of time it takes to level up skills, and times you think you should get your promotions and don't.

I should probably mention, I play with aging off, which makes it far less challenging :)
    SqxdF0m.png

Gallery ID is ARIANNANEAL
  • Options
    AlwaysAskingAlwaysAsking Posts: 1,403 Member
    Sometimes
    Not really, and I say this as someone who plays large households. Nothing is really that hard to achieve. Kids becoming A students is just a matter of making sure they do their homework everyday. Getting promoted at work is simple, just do all of your necessary tasks before the next work day. Give a toddler a tablet and they can max all but one of their skills by themselves. Keep pets well fed and they're good to do whatever they want. And I never have issues with bills or anything of the sort.

So no, I don't find the game hard at all. The most recent difficult task I had with the game was getting my Sims to become celebrities with Get Famous, and even that wasn't all too challenging tbh.

LOL! I gave up on having pets because they were far worse than any toddler. They are constantly sick, dirty, whining for a walk, or moping because they want to play. The illness is the worst though, because going to the vet takes so long. How did you manage your pets so easily?
    SqxdF0m.png

Gallery ID is ARIANNANEAL
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    Seldom
    Seldom challenging, unless I use mods (i.e retail which vanilla rather than challenging, it was more as a "this feature just does not work")
  • Options
    divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    Sometimes
    Playing a legacy family is definitely challenging, as well as large households that include babies, toddlers and pets.
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • Options
    XDelphiXDelphi Posts: 9 New Member
    Sometimes
    I think the game is ultimately as challenging as you make it and that really depends on your gamestyle and habits. Even just having a family with no goals or underlying challenges can be difficult at times because you can't always predict what a sim with 'free will' will do, but equally when you've played several hundred hours of the game you start to become adept at just managing the chaos and that's where the boredom generally sets in. Which is why I think challenges are so useful because they can bring back a little of the feeling you got when totally new to the sims; not necessarily out of your depth but having to make a conscious effort to think over every action for its possible implications to the whole game. I love that aspect of simming. :love:
  • Options
    jtlvstay3jtlvstay3 Posts: 18 Member
    Seldom
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    "everything that can kill your sims gives you the opportunity to avoid or counter it relatively easily (particularly in comparison to past sims games). Random "bad stuff" is also nearly non-existent in TS4 and where it does exist is, again, relatively easy to either avoid or counter. "

AGREE!!!
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    Seldom
    I say seldom in terms of gameplay that works correctly.

I would vote almost always challenging in terms of trying to play around all the bugs and malfunctions in the game.
  • Options
    groovyloopylougroovyloopylou Posts: 18 Member
    Seldom
    > @soko37 said:
    >
    > I would vote almost always challenging in terms of trying to play around all the bugs and malfunctions in the game.

^ ^ this.

Although my first experience of having babies in TS4 was twins...trying to keep the meters up while learning the ropes was a little challenging. Not so much now :)
  • Options
    JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    Never
    Not at all. Of all the sims games this one is the most simplistic one of them all. What I do find hard trying to create drama for spice and excitement. What little I’m able to do is very superficial and doesn’t seem to have lasting repercussions. The game seems to default to everything is great. I’ve install some mods to up the challenge a bit and it has helped.

I recently fired up my sims 2 and that was truly a challenging game in many different aspects. I managed to kill my first sim without intent because I’d forgotten how to play it.

I do wish sims 4 had that sort of in-depth gameplay. But, what can you do 🤷🏽‍♀️
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    It's not challenging because they kind of make you play their way. Like I almost have to send my kids to school, as I cannot delete schools, and kind of like doting things their way for points and you have to get skills careers, in things you don't really want to play in order to make some thing to buy mode. I want a game that is open to everything I want, not play like they want in order to get it. I don't play careers and some careers I would never play. gardening is easy, zip, zap. It is not really gardening.