Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I hate suffering from Restartitis.

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    I can relate. Everything goes well until my sims get married and rich. I try, but the voices in my head keep saying "new househooold".

My problem requires I restart the very same family. Over and over and over again, ad nauseum.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    I have the opposite of this condition. I hate restarting! I am still playing the save I started when the Sims 2 came out. I am also playing the save I started not long after the Sims 4 came out. (I mean I use "save as" regularly for safety reasons, but its still the same save.

I just can't do this restart thing.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    I have at least 50 saves right now in my Sims 4 game. At least 10 of those are test saves for testing various types of custom content and mods. One was my original save. Most of the rest were because I ran out of room to build or place new lots, especially as new venue types came out. Each time there is a new save, I pretty much am starting over with townies and new Sims. I rarely play past 2 generations since I am a rotational player. I rotate between households and between saves. How do I keep track of them? TBH, I don't. I just remember once I start playing them again.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    joleaco wrote: »
    I have the opposite of this condition. I hate restarting! I am still playing the save I started when the Sims 2 came out. I am also playing the save I started not long after the Sims 4 came out. (I mean I use "save as" regularly for safety reasons, but its still the same save.

I just can't do this restart thing.

I confess, I only play Sims I have created myself. I did this in Sims2 with the Cantrells. I brought them into Sims3 and got excited when we were first given the opportunity to have bands. Sadly, they couldn't have a singer. But, then we got ST and the second Cantrell son, Erik, was given his musical wings. There was no singing skill, to speak of in Sims4, up front. But, I missed the Cantrells so much, I brought Erik forward as my Founder once Pinstar released the Sims4 Legacy Challenge rules. Giving up his 5-star celebrity, Rock Star status, made for an interesting backstory for him. I blogged about the experience. The challenge took me just over a year to complete (considering I wasn't playing every day). Then I began to miss the family again.

We were given a partial singing skill with OR and then with CL, a full 10 level skill! Plus the artistic stuff Erik learned in college in Sims3. I decided I could try to create a singer Sim on my own, just needing a way for him to earn money at it. (I use MCCC, so I figured if all else failed I'd just pay him myself. ;) Plus I stumbled upon the Road to Fame mod, which added the fame part.

I started the parents out, just as a couple, something I'd never done before. I had the one Sim, Erik, to create them by and then all of the five children were born in-game. Having the single Sim of Erik, once he was born and was a toddler, I took the family into CAS (fulleditmode) and aged him up to make sure he looked like himself. If he didn't the plan was to simply replace him with the YA version and age him back down to toddler. I played this family for quite some time, (on Long) and got the firstborn to YA, leaving the next three as teens, with the youngest just a toddler, before I spent more time in my ancestral save.

Then, we got the news about GF. I divested myself of the Road to Fame mod, thinking I had no need for it, only to learn a tad later that the newest version was created to compliment GF, adding an active professional singing career! I almost cried.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    The longest I've played with a Save is when I created a household of 8 with 7 adults and one elderly male Sim. I moved all his offspring out to separate lots in Newcrest, built them all houses and started them working. They all used to meet up to go to bars and restaurants and gave me a chance to practice my small house building skills. One went back to his dad and got a couple of dogs later, (probably wanted to inherit the big house).

I've still got it as a second Save to go back to as I started another when GetFamous came out. That's restart number 19.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Simburian wrote: »
    The longest I've played with a Save is when I created a household of 8 with 7 adults and one elderly male Sim. I moved all his offspring out to separate lots in Newcrest, built them all houses and started them working. They all used to meet up to go to bars and restaurants and gave me a chance to practice my small house building skills. One went back to his dad and got a couple of dogs later, (probably wanted to inherit the big house).

I've still got it as a second Save to go back to as I started another when GetFamous came out. That's restart number 19.

At least you know how many times you've restarted. LOL I've done it so very often, I've lost track. :open_mouth:
    Post edited by GalacticGal on
  • Options

At least you know how many time you've restarted. LOL I've done it so very often, I've lost track. :open_mouth:

I think I've still got all the older ones on my laptop or saved in My Documents in The Cloud somewhere as I moved the old ones out when it was suggested here that lots of Saves slow down the computer. Not sure if that was right information or not.

My Sims seem to come back a bit twisted when I open up an very old Save, pre Seasons - females turning into males etc. Marion I considered a female, now a hunky male, some turning Alien instead. I enjoy the costumes Maxis wants to dress them in for Seasons plus though.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Just started a new save lmao 🤣 Building their house now, gonna start a family and then I’m going to play as the family for a while. HOPEFULLY, I’ll continue to play this family for a few generations but it does get pretty boring (aka I need University to complete the immersion of life).
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options

At least you know how many time you've restarted. LOL I've done it so very often, I've lost track. :open_mouth:

I think I've still got all the older ones on my laptop or saved in My Documents in The Cloud somewhere as I moved the old ones out when it was suggested here that lots of Saves slow down the computer. Not sure if that was right information or not.

My Sims seem to come back a bit twisted when I open up an very old Save, pre Seasons - females turning into males etc. Marion I considered a female, now a hunky male, some turning Alien instead. I enjoy the costumes Maxis wants to dress them in for Seasons plus though.

I went through and deleted some of my 'saves' while the game was on. I do wish the naming of the saves in the document file wasn't so complicated. I'd like to give that a good 'cleaning out', too. It was so much easier in Sims3. Why did they have to complicate it in this iteration?
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I guilty of restarting saves too, but I'm currently working on three saves that hopefully will stick around for a bit. But I've restarted often from S1 through S2 and now S4. One of those saves has actually made it to Gen 2! Founder couple is always Gen 0. We'll see how long I go before I restart something lol.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

I went through and deleted some of my 'saves' while the game was on. I do wish the naming of the saves in the document file wasn't so complicated. I'd like to give that a good 'cleaning out', too. It was so much easier in Sims3. Why did they have to complicate it in this iteration?

I had played with two completely different Saves on two consecutive days so arranged the Saves folder (Windows 10) by strict date "modified" and moved everything dated before that to a desktop folder.

I suppose, in the same way, you could resurrect the saves you want to keep by starting them up one by one, thus modifying them and then move out everything modified before that date?
  • Options
    TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    I've kinda hit this point too. My main family had the parents hit elder, and I've drifted away from them, even their kids who've ended up in other households. I now keep making new Sims to play with different things - such as Imelda, a wicked woman (who will be a witch whenever that may be), who's loving but gloomy daughter Beatrix, and her twin Boris, are distancing themselves from their mother, with Boris having turned himself into a vampire. Or Ella Duval, my black and white haired stylist who lives with her dalmation; or Melody and Deacon, siblings who ended up moving apart once Melody married a bartender, had two kids, adopted a dog and a cat, who now had a kitten; or Roderick (pictured in my icon), a playboy who currently has 8 boyfriends, two of them criminals he arrested in his line of work, and his favorite who's a masseuse he met at the spa.

The spooky thing is that lately, a great deal of my favorite new families have spawned off of the dire need to fix some hideous townies, or rectify some of the weird names they keep ending up with. I usually get lost while remaking some of them, and then I make the mistake of getting overly attached because I can't bear to plunk them back into the normal unplayed pool.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I've kinda hit this point too. My main family had the parents hit elder, and I've drifted away from them, even their kids who've ended up in other households. I now keep making new Sims to play with different things - such as Imelda, a wicked woman (who will be a witch whenever that may be), who's loving but gloomy daughter Beatrix, and her twin Boris, are distancing themselves from their mother, with Boris having turned himself into a vampire. Or Ella Duval, my black and white haired stylist who lives with her dalmation; or Melody and Deacon, siblings who ended up moving apart once Melody married a bartender, had two kids, adopted a dog and a cat, who now had a kitten; or Roderick (pictured in my icon), a playboy who currently has 8 boyfriends, two of them criminals he arrested in his line of work, and his favorite who's a masseuse he met at the spa.

The spooky thing is that lately, a great deal of my favorite new families have spawned off of the dire need to fix some hideous townies, or rectify some of the weird names they keep ending up with. I usually get lost while remaking some of them, and then I make the mistake of getting overly attached because I can't bear to plunk them back into the normal unplayed pool.

If you're not mod-averse there's a great mod at MTS: http://modthesims.info/d/614664/no-less-city-living-townie-names-updated-13-nov-2018.html -- it reduces or eliminates the City Living names being auto-generated.

If you don't want to get attached to the Sims while editing them, you can Edit in CAS directly from the Manage Household screens; you can change name, alter wardrobe/hair style, etc. I'll do that when coming across Sims with particularly hideous outfits or when a new pack comes out where I want to alter Sims' apparel.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Lassie26Lassie26 Posts: 26 Member
    Man, I am so happy I'm not the only one! I've had Sims 4 for a little over a year (I know I'm so behind! :'( ) and I used to play the original Sims when it came out. I don't think I've ever gotten past several days of gameplay before I get bored and either dislike what I've created, the path they're on, the world they're in, etc. I am an avid cheat user and I find myself spending more time on building homes vs playing. But I can't break out of that awkward restartitis. I have never played a sim I haven't created myself. My longest played sims are always mean and evil...

As a mom now I find more joy in teaching my son how to play and we draw up plans on the houses we want to build when we aren't playing. I try to encourage him to experiment and stay committed to his current sim (because I'm a hypocrite) :D
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Actually having that feeling again. Just got Toddler Stuff (from the giveaway) and now I want to start a brand new save to play with it, even though my current family HAS TODDLERS in it! Logic, I has none. Maybe my Drakes save will satisfy, since other than restarting them, I haven't done anything with them.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I too suffer from this. I'm a generational player and I can usually make it to about generation 5 before i get bored. Lately though, I haven't been able to get past generation 2 before I think of another family or idea I want to try out.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    Yes it's a made up word. But I am the kind of person that keeps restarting everything 1000 times.
    This time...

I can't decide if I am going to continue with my main gameplay and just make my vampire family famous, on top of everything else OR
    If I am to start over.

And then if I start over, should I start with a single sim or a family or friends or... I find starting a truly Single sim is usually quite boring at first. BUT if I give her a friend or a roommate or a lover or a spouse, or a kid... There will be too many sims very soon (I rarely enjoy playing more than 3 or maybe four sims at once, too much to keep track of) and I have to throw out some of my starter sims to make room...

No I am not really asking for advice, I just want to vent! :smiley:

Got you! In your vent is something that I have been thinking about. I want them to change the way things work. I feel when we are using one sim that the other ones totally care for themselves properly so that we will not be stress about caring for everyone. Toddlers needs should go down less so we get to enjoy other things.

I am totally different I constantly make new Sims and new family's, Worst I keep them all. I guess its the reason I make apartments and neighborhoods for my Sims because I do like family to live near but not in the same house. I make parks in the neighborhoods and hangouts and little shops also up to 4 homes it's a fun living arrangement. To make a home belonging to one family let them claim their bed then lock out everyone else. they can hang out with family in other areas of the city.

So I have families in all the cities that I play. Its two cities in the game that I do not use.

Now sticking my nose into what you did not ask advice for, I think you would enjoy making your vampire family famous first at least one of them. Being a star takes some work. But it's a lot of fun. So you may not have much time for your favorite family. Then again maybe you would enjoy a new one.

I have many favorite families. Then I have a few that are in the game that I have almost forgotten about.
    Toddlers are a priority until they go to grade school.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    edited January 2019
    Yes it's a made up word. But I am the kind of person that keeps restarting everything 1000 times.
    This time...

I can't decide if I am going to continue with my main gameplay and just make my vampire family famous, on top of everything else OR
    If I am to start over.

And then if I start over, should I start with a single sim or a family or friends or... I find starting a truly Single sim is usually quite boring at first. BUT if I give her a friend or a roommate or a lover or a spouse, or a kid... There will be too many sims very soon (I rarely enjoy playing more than 3 or maybe four sims at once, too much to keep track of) and I have to throw out some of my starter sims to make room...

No I am not really asking for advice, I just want to vent! :smiley:

Plummit, I've restarted everything like 50 times already (and I'm talking about all games I play, not just The Sims)! I promised myself to stop now, but we'll see about that. :D
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • Options
    orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
    I feel you guys on this. I decided that my sim family that I've been really enjoying should go for their third kid... and then... they had twins :s
    I was really tempted to just start over, because there are so many things I want to do in this game other than raise a bunch of kids. But, I decided, no! My family can have it all! I'm on long lifespan... I can totally let dad explore the jungle and mom open an art gallery and raise a bunch of children? Right? Oh geeze.
    I'll probably end up restarting.
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I thought I'd found a cure:
    multi-generation -- each new generation starts on a new lot with much less money
    rotational -- 10 different households, each household doing different stuff.

But lately I've been thinking of starting over, maybe only 7 households this time. Probably once we hear what the next game/expansion pack is, my interest in my current save will revive.
  • Options
    EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
    @Beardedgeek Finally the veil has been lifted and I can come out from behind the curtain.
    Hello - My name is @EuphorialQueen and I suffer from Restartitis.
    I am a beginner-againer, game-repairer and folder-refresher. There is no end to the number of times I have pulled a save out of my game to start fresh. Of course this is with the intent to go back to said save later which rarely happens.
    Why do I start again? Hmmm .... maybe they have too much money to the point where fortune aspirations are automatically completed. Or the main Sim (kept young via youth potion) has achieved (almost) every conceivable goal and earned every trait. Or there are never enough children to complete the Social Butterfly child aspiration.
    Or I have an idea for a brand new Sim that just does not fit into the current world. This is the most frequent reason to start fresh. Brand new Sim with a fresh slate to achieve all those in-game achievements. *Ahhh* That new Sim feeling.
  • Options
    chele5213chele5213 Posts: 32 Member
    So glad to know I am not alone. I get to 4th generation and then am so bored! I just started over yesterday. I use my families and delete the ones the game generates.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited January 2019
    I find it very hard to play one sim or one sim family, so my main save has several families I like to play. When I get tired of one, I change to another, I have not yet got tired of my main save for this reason.
    I play with aging off. You can always age them if you want.
  • Options
    CoteDAzurCoteDAzur Posts: 610 Member
    I literally restart so much I don't think I've ever developed a Sim whatsoever. I managed to have a family once, like 2 years ago.. Then it was like, well, this was the wrong choice, *restart*. #woeisme