Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Chicken coop hint in Get Famous [Farming]

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    JennyNoelleJennyNoelle Posts: 22 Member
    I desperately want horses in TS4.

And I want them to count as sims, even if the 8 limit remains. Anything less would be a letdown after TS3.

However I worry that farm animals (and horses) might be implemented like hamsters, as basically glorified objects. No ability to know/customize their appearances, gender, personality... nothing.

I want better than the last versions of them.

They did beat out the other options in the poll. In addition to sparking discussions of replacing pigs with llamas.
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited January 2019
    However I worry that farm animals (and horses) might be implemented like hamsters, as basically glorified objects. No ability to know/customize their appearances, gender, personality... nothing.
    How would you like to customize a chicken or a cow? Do you want to paint a smiley face on a cow?

They did beat out the other options in the poll. In addition to sparking discussions of replacing pigs with llamas.
    I agree! I would also replace pigs with sheep and llamas, since they produce whool that can be made into jarn (with the spinning wheel) that can be used for sewing clothing. Pigs are basically only held for their flesh, and I don't want to kill and eat flesh from my farm animals in The Sims. They should only die of old age!
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    JennyNoelleJennyNoelle Posts: 22 Member
    > @FreezerBunnyCowplant said:
    > How would you like to customize a chicken or a cow? Do you want to paint a smiley face on a cow?

There's a better chance of horses being 'sims', as this was how they were in TS3 and how it was planned to add them when they were still part of the expansion that would become Cats & Dogs. They even started working on them, before deciding to remove them from the pack, so it's likely they would simply pick-up where they left off. The other animals though, aren't likely to get the same treatment.

I don't think cows, chickens, pigs, or llamas would be implemented as 'sims' (and would not get a CAS style customization). So instead, maybe there could be a menu to customize them on a simpler scale when you buy them, or there could be a list of options on a market for you to choose from, or their appearance/personality could be random upon 'purchase'. This would allow for players to feel closer to the animals, as well as allowing for potential breeding (aka babies).
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    I dunno but making the farm animals work like the cats and dogs from the pets expansion kinda sounds like a bit of a stretch.

I’d prefer having a lot of farm animals and work very similarly to the rodents from my first pet or the farm animals from the sims 3 store.

And have all other farm related stuffs like horses, harvestables, and greatly executed off the grid system rather than only focusing to make the farm animals themselves (minus the horses) actually life-like and not getting the rest of the pack like i’ve mentioned before.

I’m a bit of a developer expert and making these farm animals walk, roam, and run around the neighborhood is not a good idea. All of the budget and resources would be allocated for those assets only and they are very expensive.

So instead, why not just make them object tied animals like what they did on my first pet? So more product toon and better execution would be done to implement other great features like full live horses, immersive farming and off the grid living system, and a new vibrant country side world.

And by the way, i dunno and i’m not sure but why would people want farming *expansion pack solely for farm animals (not including the horses) and make them act like the cats and dogs (walking, running, you name it) only?
    y'all got bread?
  • Options
    Lexera1000Lexera1000 Posts: 22 Member
    I want a pig farm, now! :)
    o3fP5ky.jpg

Gallery ID Mimicrysims
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    So instead, why not just make them object tied animals like what they did on my first pet? So more product toon and better execution would be done to implement other great features like full live horses, immersive farming and off the grid living system, and a new vibrant country side world.

You could actually use the technology from the roomba from C&D. It can move around your lot freely without taking up a space in the household. Imagine, instead of the roomba, there would be a chicken. And instead of the charging station, there is a chicken coop.
    The technology is already there!
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    jude72plajude72pla Posts: 784 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    @jude72pla I imagine...if we wanted to get all technical, a ranch IS actually a sub-type of farm. I.e. All ranches are farms, but not all farms are ranches.
    I still think it makes sense to separate horses from any pack focused on farming though seeing as they wouldn't really fit well with what most of us traditionally think of as farming; you don't grow them, you don't eat them, and they produce no byproduct that is used for food either (gelatin urban legends aside).

There are communities and organizations here in the States that still use horses other then pleasure they are breed and raised for drafting.
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    Grant has mentioned in his tweets how animating the animals is the hardest thing to do as it takes the longest time to do in the sims. I think even farm animals would be an undertaking even if they were just objects. Considering how the sims 4 likes to simplify, I think any pack that came with farm animals would be that and not much more. I'd personally be happy with just some chickens and would rather have them concentrate on farming hobbies like canning or nectar making.
  • Options
    Grant has mentioned in his tweets how animating the animals is the hardest thing to do as it takes the longest time to do in the sims. I think even farm animals would be an undertaking even if they were just objects. Considering how the sims 4 likes to simplify, I think any pack that came with farm animals would be that and not much more. I'd personally be happy with just some chickens and would rather have them concentrate on farming hobbies like canning or nectar making.

But they already have the ground work done with having pets.
    And in Sims 3 they managed to offer them in the Store, so it isn't impossible to have canning, nectar making AND farm animals in one pack.
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    But they already have the ground work done with having pets.
    And in Sims 3 they managed to offer them in the Store, so it isn't impossible to have canning, nectar making AND farm animals in one pack.

Perhaps. But I doubt it's as easy as copying the movement of dogs or cats onto sheep, cows, chickens, etc. They move a bit differently, not to mention they would require new animations cats and dogs don't have.

I never played with the Sims 3 farm animals from the store, but what I have observed of them is that they don't move around much. If they were made similarly for the Sims 4, I could see them adding in other things as well. But the Sims 4 tends to expand on ideas previously introduced in Sims 1,2,3, so I believe they would want them to be able to move around more and be more lifelike.

Anyways, I'm sure it's something they are trying to figure out even as we are discussing it. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. ;)
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    I have a question tho, do of all you really wish to have these farm animals to roam around the farm? And raising farm animals as the highlight of the pack?

Cuz to be honest, if we ever got those. We might not gonna be getting other great features like horses, off the grid living, and a farming system.

SimGuruGrant tweeted that making the animations of the cats and dogs alone took them hundreds of staff work days just to work with it.

So instead, these should personally be on the wish list imo:

A vast country side world
    Off the Grid living mechanics
    Playable Horses
    Object Tied Farm Animals
    Immersive Farming system
    y'all got bread?
  • Options
    I have a question tho, do of all you really wish to have these farm animals to roam around the farm? And raising farm animals as the highlight of the pack?

I'd be fine with animals as objects. I'd rather a farming pack focus on farming hobbies rather than just on animals. But in Grant's twitter survey farm animals won over horses and off the grid game play.

I'd love to see a farming pack with a rustic old-timey feel over a more modern theme. Off the grid would be great for this kind of thing, as we could have a well for water to decrease bills and maybe even have a lot trait were you can't use electrical items.

If anything, maybe they'll release an Off The Grid game pack separately from a farming pack. We'll see I guess.
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    I'd love to see a farming pack with a rustic old-timey feel over a more modern theme. Off the grid would be great for this kind of thing, as we could have a well for water to decrease bills and maybe even have a lot trait were you can't use electrical items.

I've said something like this a few times.
    Give us a good full size world with large lots so we could have room for crops and livestock. I wouldn't expect much out of the animals themselves more than what we got in TS3. I would like to see objects such as the spinning wheel and butter churner to come back to use what we "harvest" from the livestock.
    Drawing water from a well could be for something as simple as "filling" troughs - I'd be happy with the vibe it would create towards a more simple life.

On a personal note, I think horses would be a waste of resources given that there isn't enough room for them. There's no space to ride them and unless they give us larger lots (or you bulldoze something that already exists on a larger lot - I hate that), there's no place to set up for them. :(
    I think TS4 is a loss for horses.

baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited January 2019
    How would you like to customize a chicken or a cow? Do you want to paint a smiley face on a cow?

I agree! I would also replace pigs with sheep and llamas, since they produce whool that can be made into jarn (with the spinning wheel) that can be used for sewing clothing. Pigs are basically only held for their flesh, and I don't want to kill and eat flesh from my farm animals in The Sims. They should only die of old age!

In Harvest Moon, pigs find you truffles which are worth a lot of money - that's what they're raised for in those games. :smile: So if they got pigs it would probably be for something like that, but I don't see them animating a whole animal just so you can get a special mushroom!

That said, I'd love a farm pack that focused more on off the grid and small animals like chickens. It would be amazing if you could raise sheep and use their wool for clothing with a sewing skill. :heart:

I think this might just be an Easter egg rather than a hint, though.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Idk how many times we have to do this a pack and how many times devs say they don't do hints in text flavors for people to get it.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Idk how many times we have to do this a pack and how many times devs say they don't do hints in text flavors for people to get it.

That's what the devs want you to think / have to say, because they could be fired if they teased future content.

Because our community is really important to them, they still tease future content in subtile ways, just like with the baby bottle at the cooking station in Dine Out half a year before toddlers were announced or the toddler book titled "When is Winter?" mentioning all four seasons in its description.
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Considering we only got two types of animals for the Pet expansion...I would not hold my breath for a "farm pack". Maybe we'll get one or two things in some other pack, but I doubt we'll ever see a total farm pack and if we did, I think we'd be disappointed by what was not in it moreso than happy with what was.

That being said, they did a fabulous job with Cats and Dogs...despite so many people being disappointed by what animals were not present, the two that are were done better than in any previous Sims game (just mho), so I would be more than willing to eat my words from the first paragraph if they prove me wrong (you heard me gurus....prove me wrong! Please)

there good but I wouldn't say better :)
    you can't control them, or even see there needs.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    GingerCharlotteZGingerCharlotteZ Posts: 3 New Member
    [quote="RememberJoy;c-16908436"][quote="TheIntrovertSimmer;c-16907

I would love to see a farming GP with raising farm animals, horseback riding like in TS3, dogs could have a new heardimg trait to heard livestock. I grew up on a farm with horses so that would be fun to see! Have a new lot trait or build items have a more rustic feel, I’ve always loved the Tudor style cottage home with a wood siding on the face of the home it would look super cute!
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    And farming should be well combined with Seasons. I don't really want my cows to be outside during winter.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    And farming should be well combined with Seasons. I don't really want my cows to be outside during winter.

Yeah, especially with the gardening aspect. Those two expansions could complement each other very well. A farmer has to prepare for every season and consider which plants grow during what season.
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    The_RatticatorThe_Ratticator Posts: 28 Member
    Does anyone remember the chess-playing chicken in that one PS2 game? I would love to see that make a comeback as well!
  • Options
    FallenPrinceFallenPrince Posts: 928 Member
    This makes me exited a bit! I never got to play with the chickens in TS3, but enjoyed what I saw of it on youtube.