Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

can someone explained the self employed feature?

So my sim can register as self-employed...but what jobs can they do to make money? Does this have something to do with the new record table and editing table with Get Famous? They can earn money using these items?

Comments

• Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    My thinking is it's more of just slapping on a title. There are no set hours, no wage, no promotion you just have a title that fills the role of a career. Because of this you can set your title to Bee Keeper. The game isn't going to track your bee keeping or how much you make selling honey but other sims when asking about your sims career will see Bee Keeper.
  • Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,108 Member
    VentusMatt wrote: »
    My thinking is it's more of just slapping on a title. There are no set hours, no wage, no promotion you just have a title that fills the role of a career. Because of this you can set your title to Bee Keeper. The game isn't going to track your bee keeping or how much you make selling honey but other sims when asking about your sims career will see Bee Keeper.

ok, that makes sense. But for example, it looks like from this new editing table I could have my sim become a famous YouTuber. They can make money off of this? Or is just there for a hobby?
  • Options
    littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »

ok, that makes sense. But for example, it looks like from this new editing table I could have my sim become a famous YouTuber. They can make money off of this? Or is just there for a hobby?

I'm sure you can make money. I believe they mentioned bumping your tunes at nightclubs or venues with DJ booths. I'm thinking you can "publish" them or something and receive royalties off of them in addition to maybe garnering tips for playing them at venues? I didn't watch the latest stream so I don't know if they addressed that there.
    6riwm5.png
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »

Yeah, you upload the videos and receive royalty payments from them. And you can register them as a self-employed YouTuber (or whatever title you want,) so the game doesn't show them as unemployed.
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited October 2018
    For the video editing table I believe your sims makes royalties off of videos like youtubers make money off of videos. Your sim can also get brand deals that'll ask you to upload certain types of videos. I think in one IronSeagull's video a brand deal wanted his sim to use the drone to film a fishing spot and i think there was a bonus if the sim was filmed fishing as well.

As for the music table idk as I haven't seen any videos on it.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    you can make your sim a 'bestselling author' as the title and have them earn money just from book royalties. or heck, have them make their money from paintings or not even make any money at all and just fill it via cheats if you wanted. they'd still be listed as 'bestselling author' either way

as for the new tables, i'm pretty sure the audio table has royalties from its creations the same way as the video table does (i'm planning on using it for candy behr to finally become the dj she wanted to be and dominic fyres to become a music mogul)
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,539 Member
    My sim writes children's books, runs an orphanage, and grows and sells produce from rare plants.
    I like the idea her finally being considered self employed than unemployed. It's a simple thing, but it kind of irked me.
    I actually prefer self-employed sims because I am free from to-do lists and structured game play.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    My understanding is its just so your sim isn't listed as unemployed. They'll make their money through whatever they do. For instance I'll register my sim as an archaeologist and then he'll keep making money by mailing the artifacts and selling them at the vendor table.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,944 Member
    From my understanding, the only purpose of it is that your sim isn't shown as umemployed when other sims ask about their career.
    Your sim may or may not make money from that, but at least they are not shown as unemployed.
  • Options
    liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    From my understanding, the only purpose of it is that your sim isn't shown as umemployed when other sims ask about their career.
    Your sim may or may not make money from that, but at least they are not shown as unemployed.

yeah, it'll be great to finally have my vet actually be called a vet, instead of unemployed.
  • Options
    gonna post a simguru tweet here because it appears to say 'yes, you can indeed make money off the new music production table' (since you can get signed by music labels)

• Options
    kalaksed wrote: »
    gonna post a simguru tweet here because it appears to say 'yes, you can indeed make money off the new music production table' (since you can get signed by music labels)

So we kinda can have a music career but there is no singing involved...it's just all "producing"? I guess the dream would be we can perform at concerts but I'll take what I can get
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    This new self employment add on is for everything that you do that isn’t an actual career.

-Fisher
    -Collector
    -YouTuber
    -Music Producer
    Etc.

Also now you you don’t have to the painter and author career and just BE an author or Painter. Or a singer or a comedian instead of just being an “entertainer “.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    How do I get a sim to register as self employed? Is this a new thing? Glad they finally added it, used to annoy me so much. Did they add in-laws and step relatives yet?

—T
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    To7m wrote: »
    How do I get a sim to register as self employed? Is this a new thing? Glad they finally added it, used to annoy me so much. Did they add in-laws and step relatives yet?

—T

Comes in the patch, and no they didn’t

• Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member

—T

What patch? And how do I do it *in* game?

—T
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

I like that -- I can start my Sim off as a musician, then when he gets tired of the performing grind I can switch him to a music producer. If I can get him high enough in Piano and Violin before he ages up to teen, he could even start writing songs while he's in high school.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    edited October 2018

—T

—T

It's coming in the next patch which is due about a week before Get Famous comes out, so perhaps early the week of 11/12. If I recall correctly your sim will be able to make a phone call to the "Ministry of Labor" and register as a profession of the player's choice by filling in a blank field. First one I'm going to make is Minister of Labor. :D
  • Options

I like that -- I can start my Sim off as a musician, then when he gets tired of the performing grind I can switch him to a music producer. If I can get him high enough in Piano and Violin before he ages up to teen, he could even start writing songs while he's in high school.

good idea! I'm gonna do that too!
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I do want to see how the entertainer career meshes with Get Famous, as well as using the ability to sing with guitar and piano (the family just got a karaoke machine so he can start on his singing skill while still a child) when he's performing. Since I play on Long lifespan he'll probably get to the top of the Entertainer career while a YA, then as an Adult I can have him do music producing.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    I do want to see how the entertainer career meshes with Get Famous, as well as using the ability to sing with guitar and piano (the family just got a karaoke machine so he can start on his singing skill while still a child) when he's performing. Since I play on Long lifespan he'll probably get to the top of the Entertainer career while a YA, then as an Adult I can have him do music producing.

I wanna see how well it works too. I’m having one of my teen sims start singing and playing instruments in preparation. I wish sims could get called to play at venues and parties.

• Options
    i'm curious as well, and have at least two sims that are going to try to work on some fame through it (johnny zest for comedian and dominic fyres for musician), though dominic and candy behr are both going to swap to self-employed at some point because 'music producer/mogel' works better for dominic's dream than 'entertainer/musician' and 'rad party dj' is perfect for candy (even if she'll get mad that i don't give her exactly that title)
  • Options
    Cynel1Cynel1 Posts: 1,389 Member

—T

—T

It's coming in the next patch which is due about a week before Get Famous comes out, so perhaps early the week of 11/12. If I recall correctly your sim will be able to make a phone call to the "Ministry of Labor" and register as a profession of the player's choice by filling in a blank field. First one I'm going to make is Minister of Labor. :D

i think its a week before the EP not during the same week
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I'm gonna use it for my sims that own businesses. It bugged me that when a sim owned a business it still showed them as unemployed so this will fit in with my Entrepreneur's. For instance I currently have a sim that own's a flower shop and garden, she is also part of the gardener career but only to show she's employed in something I just select work from home and have her complete the task in her shop. On another save I have a sim that runs a boutique cafe and another that runs a restaurant.

It will also be a nice feature for those who do street/lounge/bar/cafe... performances or just freelance.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    popdrinkopopdrinko Posts: 11 New Member
    > @aaronrulz said:
    > VentusMatt wrote: »
    >
    > My thinking is it's more of just slapping on a title. There are no set hours, no wage, no promotion you just have a title that fills the role of a career. Because of this you can set your title to Bee Keeper. The game isn't going to track your bee keeping or how much you make selling honey but other sims when asking about your sims career will see Bee Keeper.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > ok, that makes sense. But for example, it looks like from this new editing table I could have my sim become a famous YouTuber. They can make money off of this? Or is just there for a hobby?

Yes, you can. The table allows you to create videos, from there you can edit, scrap or upload. If you upload, you will receive daily royalties.