Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rain Effect in TS4 Seasons x Rain Effect in TS4 Get Famous

Lukkas_LeonhartLukkas_Leonhart Posts: 44 Member
edited December 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Hello everyone! :)
I decided to create this topic because it is a subject that is very important to me.
I've always been a fan of Seasons (my favorite expansion since TS2). I think it's the most important expansion pack and elevates the gameplay to another level.
My great passion is the rain. Ahhh <3 rainy days are so relaxing! I really love the rain created by the team in TS3. Despite being different engines, I believed that when the weather came to TS4 it would be as impressive as TS3.
But the rain in TS4 is disappointing! :( Raindrops have no animation when falling on the ground and this is very frustrating. My biggest disappointment was in Get Famous when I used the "Plumbob Pictures Home Special Effects Machine" object and tested the rain effect.
The drops hit the ground and have animation! Seriously? Why did not they do the same with the "real" rain of the game?
Hopefully in the future the team will correct this somehow as it is really frustrating to see how some of the seasons' details have been neglected.

i7GmVvQ.jpg
jzHHpy3.jpg
Post edited by Lukkas_Leonhart on

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    I don't know what to say. I really thought this thread would be more about how often (like nearly every day) it rains in the game. I love Seasons, but the rain is way too much. It rains when it's cold, it rains when it's hot and an outdoor stage venue would be perfect for the concert — except for the dang rain!

But, I totally agree, the animation you show is truly an upgrade with the machine. Perchance, one day we'll be surprised by a patch and voilà it will be fixed. Hey, we can dream, can't we?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    My best guess is performance issues. People on the lower end of system requirements already get some graphical lag due to the seasons rain; can you imagine if they added more animation and effects to it?
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2018
    Really can't say much other than welcome to TS4.

Rain and snow are just a screen effect like in TS2, and unlike TS3. In TS3 roof trims would have water drops on them, umbrellas have rain fx on the back to make them more believable when raining, sims would multitask and use umbrellas while jogging in the rain, etc.

81kIYe4.jpg

DhPxFQU.jpg

d1xEgpl.jpg

They gave TS3 so much detail with new fx and graphics when they made Seasons it really was a next level experience when it came out. In TS4 though they seem to not have put in as much detail for the weather. There's no snow layers, the raindrops aren't as detailed and objects don't react as well to rain, there's no tanning in the summer and so on. It's not as full of detail as one would hope sadly. Maybe it's because it wants to cater to low end computers, or overall game performance, Idk.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    My best guess is performance issues. People on the lower end of system requirements already get some graphical lag due to the seasons rain; can you imagine if they added more animation and effects to it?

Thought that wouldn't matter depending on the settings in your graphics like for example you can't see the leaves falling down from the trees and onto the ground if your settings are too low or even the detailed lighting system. If they were able to add that detail for the ground (I know they add it to pools and bodies of water when it rains) I would assume you'd be able to see it with a higher setting.

@Sigzy05 Thought the droplets looked pretty oversized and out of place when rain dripped off the sims or
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    LadyKyn wrote: »

Thought that wouldn't matter depending on the settings in your graphics like for example you can't see the leaves falling down from the trees and onto the ground if your settings are too low or even the detailed lighting system. If they were able to add that detail for the ground (I know they add it to pools and bodies of water when it rains) I would assume you'd be able to see it with a higher setting.

@Sigzy05 Thought the droplets looked pretty oversized and out of place when rain dripped off the sims or

Better than having none :\
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SlyvanasSlyvanas Posts: 855 Member
    I have to really agree. Maybe I am a bit silly but I don't think seeing rain droplet effects would make someone's game lag that much? If its already in the game surely they could possibly fix this in a patch? It was one of my biggest gripes around the Sims 4 season's rain as well.

Or maybe do a setting just like they have for snow so people could choose to see the raindrop affects or not.
    oxv0Rm8.png
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    @Slyvanas, @Ladykyn It has to do with HOW the rain effect is being implemented, under-the-hood mechanics wise, they went with a really simplistic approach for TS4. That's where the performance saving likelihood for the why comes in. To implement it in a way that it is like TS3 would have required a completely different approach.

Not saying I entirely agree with their decision, just saying that performance is the most likely reason for it. The single-biggest complaint toward TS3 for everyone who isn't totally in love with it (and even for many who are) is performance. For better or worse, most of the places where TS4 seems to fall short of TS3 are places where TS4 was built to have better performance.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    @Slyvanas, @Ladykyn It has to do with HOW the rain effect is being implemented, under-the-hood mechanics wise, they went with a really simplistic approach for TS4. That's where the performance saving likelihood for the why comes in. To implement it in a way that it is like TS3 would have required a completely different approach.

Not saying I entirely agree with their decision, just saying that performance is the most likely reason for it. The single-biggest complaint toward TS3 for everyone who isn't totally in love with it (and even for many who are) is performance. For better or worse, most of the places where TS4 seems to fall short of TS3 are places where TS4 was built to have better performance.

Ah, yeah that's true. Different story with the overall game itself. :*

I did notice that with the rain effects, BUT I didn't really even notice the water effects until like a third attempt at the singing in the rain set. I tend to miss some minor effects. I didn't even realize Sims 2 had an effect with rain running down along the actual roofs after all these years. :#

For what I am able to notice or others point out I think there's still a lot of small details in other places as well.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    How we thought rain was going to look like:

the_sims_4_seasons___rain__fan_art__by_hazzaplumbob-daycets.png

(looks just like that GF effect)

How it looks like:

?i=http%3A%2F%2Fp2.trrsf.com%2Fimage%2Ffget%2Fcf%2F1300%2F600%2Fsmart%2Fimages.terra.com%2F2018%2F05%2F28%2Fthe-sims-4-estacoes-nws.jpg

The umbrellas look totally dried in the rain :\ There's not a single drop of water dropping from them.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited December 2018
    They only have drops of water coming out to say that the sim is drenched, but that's about it. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    How we thought rain was going to look like:

the_sims_4_seasons___rain__fan_art__by_hazzaplumbob-daycets.png

(looks just like that GF effect)

How it looks like:

?i=http%3A%2F%2Fp2.trrsf.com%2Fimage%2Ffget%2Fcf%2F1300%2F600%2Fsmart%2Fimages.terra.com%2F2018%2F05%2F28%2Fthe-sims-4-estacoes-nws.jpg

The umbrellas look totally dried in the rain :\ There's not a single drop of water dropping from them.

This is the first time I have seen a screen shot of rain in TS4. This reminds me of the FX in Railroad Tycoon2 many years ago, that FX was something to see back then..how many years? and here it is in TS4 in 2018, :/
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    I don't particularly mind the lack of distinct droplets when it comes to rain since irl, I can't see each droplet regardless of how intently I'm staring at the sky. I'd like if the umbrellas were a bit more.. drippy, but even so, I haven't noticed anything offputting about the rain so much.

In fact I've kinda like, forgotten about the seasons entirely at this point. It's all background noise til winter or a rather hot summer. And that's fine to me. Pets sort of ended up like that, too. They are just, in the house. Doing pet things. Not much else unless I choose to focus on their training or a breeding program or something.
  • Options
    surlybadgersurlybadger Posts: 283 Member
    Seeing the two side by side does make me a bit sad, I wish there were options to toggle for higher-end PCs, sort of like a "true" ultra setting.
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    Going back to closed worlds (or semi-closed, regardless it's one lot loaded) was supposed to be for performance, and I really thought it'd mean everything would have much more detail than in TS3. Some things though, like rain and snow-depth, really have no excuse. This is more of a "we can't be bothered making quality-depth content" than "Sacrifice for performance", which is already an old full of lies excuse.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I actually prefer the one in Seasons. Regarding the rain animation from Get Famous, they could actually do it, since they are already present in the fountains in the base game, which means they could use it for Seasons, but they chose not to do it. Its their decision whether it is the design/visual/or any other reasons we don't know. I doubt they never tried using that Get Famous animation when developing seasons since it is already in the base game. It is possible that they tried it first then created a new style of water in seasons.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Archieonic wrote: »
    Going back to closed worlds (or semi-closed, regardless it's one lot loaded) was supposed to be for performance, and I really thought it'd mean everything would have much more detail than in TS3. Some things though, like rain and snow-depth, really have no excuse. This is more of a "we can't be bothered making quality-depth content" than "Sacrifice for performance", which is already an old full of lies excuse.

It really feels like they went back to closed worlds in TS4 because they had no other option.

Theoretically, you would think the time spent not working on an open world would result in the best FX, Sim AI, attention to detail, features, etc., but in so many cases, things have turned out worse compared to TS3, and even TS2, which shared the closed world set up (yet offered far more creative control and player freedom with it).

The evidence is really the tiny, tiny maps Maxis gives us. How we could go from the player freedom of TS3, designing worlds from the ground up and every single aspect of them, to pre-designed worlds with lots you can sometimes count on one hand, is crazy.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

It really feels like they went back to closed worlds in TS4 because they had no other option.

Theoretically, you would think the time spent not working on an open world would result in the best FX, Sim AI, attention to detail, features, etc., but in so many cases, things have turned out worse compared to TS3, and even TS2, which shared the closed world set up (yet offered far more creative control and player freedom with it).

The evidence is really the tiny, tiny maps Maxis gives us. How we could go from the player freedom of TS3, designing worlds from the ground up and every single aspect of them, to pre-designed worlds with lots you can sometimes count on one hand, is crazy.

When it comes to world building everthing is made by hand, and not as easy as they are. Based on the worlds we are getting, creating a world is time consuming, conpared in The Sims 3 where they had a create a world tool. I remember SimGuruGrant said in a tweet that manipulating terrain outside of lots in Sims 4 is different than using the terrain tool inside of lots. This is why I think Create a World is needed. It does not only helps the creativity of players but also helps the way they build the world. It is hard to do but the investment is worth it. We know how easy to use the tools in Sims 4, and if the CAW was just like that, then the devs will be able to build worlds faster, create more neighborhoods, and even spent some of the time creating additional gameplay features. Right now it seems from the Simmer point of view based on their statements, building a world is hard, and I think this is the answer.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member

The whole game feels more basic and simple, and watered down. I will say though, I do enjoy the rain. But I don't understand is, if they could make the rain effects machine with fat droplets, why not just do it for all rain? I don't think that would effect low end pcs or laptops. And honestly, I don't know why they are catering a game to low spec machines. It's hurting other players who have pcs that have the power to play on higher settings. Like someone else said, they could have at least given us an option to increase FX effects with a more powerful pc. What really bothers me though is the lack of depth to the snow.

epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

When it comes to world building everthing is made by hand, and not as easy as they are. Based on the worlds we are getting, creating a world is time consuming, conpared in The Sims 3 where they had a create a world tool. I remember SimGuruGrant said in a tweet that manipulating terrain outside of lots in Sims 4 is different than using the terrain tool inside of lots. This is why I think Create a World is needed. It does not only helps the creativity of players but also helps the way they build the world. It is hard to do but the investment is worth it. We know how easy to use the tools in Sims 4, and if the CAW was just like that, then the devs will be able to build worlds faster, create more neighborhoods, and even spent some of the time creating additional gameplay features. Right now it seems from the Simmer point of view based on their statements, building a world is hard, and I think this is the answer.

Is there a source stating they do not have a world tool? Just curious, because they have to, just not designed for public use. In fact, worlds in TS4 could not possibly be harder to make than in TS3. In TS3, you had to take into account roads and routing which was a huge PITA. In TS4, most of the world consists of decorations, lots and common areas. So you have a crew that does the decorating bit, designing the aesthetics (said designers have nothing to do with gameplay), and then the actual builders that make the world function (lot placement, pathing, etc) via their own internal world building tool.

If the developers truly want to state that world building is hard...well, that's just a blatant excuse IMO.