Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Nauseating Camera

To be honest, this has been going on for years (since Sims 3) and one would have thought that it might have been addressed by now... it hasn't been.

What am I on about? Cameras that bob and bounce nauseatingly out of windows, off of buildings/apartments, off of multi-storied homes... dang! Even off of tall objects in a room if you happen to be panning in that direction! Is there even a way to stop it; toggle it for those who don't mind the roller-coaster effect when panning/walking through a sim's home?

By the way this is with, and without, mods installed.

Comments

• Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    From what I understand it's only in apartments and houses with foundation and/or weird roofs.
    It is annoying but definitely not nauseating. The workaround is to avoid those things.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,603 Member
    Yeah, this is the reason why I don't make multi story houses.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    It's still nauseating even without that issue.
  • Options
    beachedkingbeachedking Posts: 3 New Member
    To me its not nauseating but its certainly frusturating! Sometimes I just wish to look somewhere but it just goes up and down. I'm playing on a laptop so i use the right trackpad button to spin around. Certainly helps if only a tiny bit depending on how you like your camera.
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »
    It doesn't happen with flat roof houses. @DeKay
  • Options
    Simpkin wrote: »
    It doesn't happen with flat roof houses. DeKay

Is it? Huh, I never tried that. 😂
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited November 2018
    It doesn't happen with flat roof houses.

Cool, I had no idea flat roof houses wouldn't bounce up and down, great news! I might seriously consider building more houses with a flat roof now. The constant bobbing of the camera is so frustrating, especially when building a house or trying to take screenshots! I've noticed it's really bad in apartments too in live mode. Might consider not living in them anymore after my Sim completes her City Native aspiration. Thanks! :)
  • Options
    JCStormy1JCStormy1 Posts: 67 Member

The house that I'm currently in is flat roofed and it still happens. If people like the bouncing around et al, kudos. If people only want to have box houses for their sims, awesome. For them. Make it toggle-able so that people, like me, can turn it off and be able to glide smoothly through their stories.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Is the bouncing camera more of an issue with the default style camera, or the traditional (sims 3) style camera?
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Is the bouncing camera more of an issue with the default style camera, or the traditional (sims 3) style camera?

I'm using the default camera style, presently.
  • Options
    JCStormy1 wrote: »

The house that I'm currently in is flat roofed and it still happens. If people like the bouncing around et al, kudos. If people only want to have box houses for their sims, awesome. For them. Make it toggle-able so that people, like me, can turn it off and be able to glide smoothly through their stories.

does it have a foundation?

The roof definitely does it though and the foundation. Maybe there's another factor to it then too.
  • Options

The roof definitely does it though and the foundation. Maybe there's another factor to it then too.

Yeah, it does have a foundation, and a lot of that new landscaping that came this month (November).

• Options
    edited November 2018
    This doesn't feel like much of an issue for me using the Sims 3 camera option. Except in apartments, can get crazy there.

What is the advantage of the default camera over the Sims 3 setting, anyone know?

I'm such a creature of habit that I turned on the TS3 camera the day I first got the game, have never played with the default one.
  • Options

Yeah, it does have a foundation, and a lot of that new landscaping that came this month (November).

just for testing, try building a house with a flat roof and no foundation, with 2 floors and see if it still does it. I've found it doesn't.
  • Options
    This doesn't feel like much of an issue for me using the Sims 3 camera option. Except in apartments, can get crazy there.

What is the advantage of the default camera over the Sims 3 setting, anyone know?

I'm such a creature of habit that I turned on the TS3 camera the day I first got the game, have never played with the default one.

There's not much of an advantage other than you can zoom in and out and the camera does it smoothly without you having to tilt it and such to get to an eye level to your sim.

OP, I think there's nothing much you can do other than to be careful while you are on the edges of the house. I feel like using the right hand click and holding it to move around will prevent that from happening rather than using edge scrolling cuz you have better control.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options

As far as I've been able to tell, the TS3 camera doesn't allow for mouse-wheel rotating. I believe you have to use the keyboard to rotate.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    @JCStormy1, that's not true. holding down middle mouse button (which I set my thumb button to replicate) allows rotation, and tilt.

And, @Dekay, thank you for the answer. Been years since I installed the game, I'd totally forgotten there even was another camera control option until this thread popped up. I think I'll stick with the TS3 style camera, I prefer to be the one controlling all aspects of the camera...including the degree of tilt as I zoom in and out.
  • Options

just for testing, try building a house with a flat roof and no foundation, with 2 floors and see if it still does it. I've found it doesn't.

Using the unoccupied house in the Pinnacles as example; removing the foundation et al, (and saving) I still get that effect. TBH it's been there for years I just kept hoping that Maxis would have fixed it by now.
  • Options
    MattieMayfairMattieMayfair Posts: 29 Member
    When I was playing with Lilith Vatore inside an apartment formerly owned by the Jangs I went to redecorate and the camera kept going way of screen. I got so frustrated I moved her into a house in new crest (where I never play in)! Maybe now that she’s The Grand Master Vampire I’ll try again in a penthouse instead.
  • Options
    @JCStormy1, that's not true. holding down middle mouse button (which I set my thumb button to replicate) allows rotation, and tilt.

You're absolutely right. It was the opposite; the TS4 mouse is the one that doesn't allow me to tilt and rotate. My bad.

• Options

Using the unoccupied house in the Pinnacles as example; removing the foundation et al, (and saving) I still get that effect. TBH it's been there for years I just kept hoping that Maxis would have fixed it by now.
    must be something in the house. I just tested it, it did jump around, especially around the room where there was a red painting outside of it. But I bulldozed the lot and built a new house, two stories, no foundation. And I didn't get any jumps. I tried stairs and fencing too. It was all fine.

On the original house I removed the trees and pools, still did it. Tried it without lights, doors, other objects. Still did it. But try building one yourself and you'll see it won't jump around. I even had a roof on the test house, the kind that is only on the roof and doesn't go over the edges of the walls.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    edited November 2018
    For those of you who don't get nauseous over the bobbling camera, I'm very glad you're not afflicted with motion sickness, as I am. It was even worse trying to build after I struck my head when I fell. Everything was okay, or so they pronounced it in the ER, but told me to go home and rest. So, I thought, I'll play my game for a bit, that's restful. I made the mistake of trying to build. Twirling that camera around, perhaps too quickly or for too long (take your pick), I soon had to go to bed to stop my head from spinning. Yes, I almost lost my cookies I got so nauseous.

I have not had fun with the bobbling camera since Sims3. I do like multi-storied homes. I created a castle and blamed the bobbing on the lot it fit into in Sims3, by the rushing water fall. The cliff next to it was steep and the camera had issues with it. I surely hoped this would have been cured come Sims4. Nope. No such luck. Ah, me.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    It bothers me to live in certain places where you can't see the house well from that view without it bobbing up when you look from certain angles. I know in the city section of Windenburg there are some places like that where the built in background will pull the camera up at times or in the apartments down to ground level.
    In general I stick to single story homes in more or less flat areas.. even trees and plants obstructing my view of the sims and what they do will bother me though. I tend to just not have my sims live in the places that I know bug me. Good places for visiting, housing sims I rarely if ever play ect though.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    From what I understand it's only in apartments and houses with foundation and/or weird roofs.
    It is annoying but definitely not nauseating. The workaround is to avoid those things.

Not for you, perhaps, but for people with motion sickness or other conditions, it definitely is. The 'workaround' doesn't always work as they can not always be avoided.
    moxiegraphix on Origin