Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you like making up little stories or histories about your sims?

AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
I do.
Especially when weird little circumstances in my game align juuuust right for me to create short stories to amuse myself with. Like so:

tumblr_inline_phe4ycX1hL1vhkp6x_540.jpg
Danny: Jupiter, you must uphold the family honor by wearing a kilt and combat boots.

tumblr_inline_phe4y3H3Mt1vhkp6x_540.jpg
Jupi: …but why? That would just look stupid.

tumblr_inline_phe4y7q2Aw1vhkp6x_540.jpg
Danny: WEAR A KILT OR ELSE!!! D :<

tumblr_inline_phe4xygSyW1vhkp6x_540.jpg
Jupi: No.

tumblr_inline_phe4xu939l1vhkp6x_540.jpg

The real situation that happened in my game was that Jupiter the rebellious alien/merman hybrid was out too late one night. He became grounded for that reason but when I saw Danny walk in with that utterly ridiculous outfit i came up with this story on the fly.

This family has many, many such stories. And yes, I realize it’s silly but
oh well :D:p

Comments

• Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    Danny: WEAR A KILT OR ELSE!!! D :<

Or else what? Don't leave me hanging LOL.:D
  • Options

Or else what? Don't leave me hanging LOL.:D
    Well technically ‘or else’ meant the grounding.

But it could also mean a lifetime of this as punishment:
    tumblr_pb0mj4uvRz1xq9hdmo1_540.jpg

tumblr_pb0mj4uvRz1xq9hdmo2_540.jpg

tumblr_pb0mj4uvRz1xq9hdmo3_540.jpg
  • Options
    DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    I always have a background story of some sort in my head for every household and sim that I start. Back when I played Sims 2, I started out just playing and not caring and then I thought one day, but where did they come from? So I restarted my game with some sims in old fashioned clothing so that they would appear like that in the family tree, progressing to newer fashion periods as the generations did. Then I had to make up a story about where THEY came from. Ever since, I've only ever been able to play with some kind of imagined beginnings.
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    My stories are usually either pretty vague, or only in my head and not all that related to what my sims are actually doing. Having said that, sometimes a situation plays out perfectly, and I can't help but add my own subtitles as I'm watching.

For example, this is what happened on the very first morning Paulina arrived in Twinbrook as a freshly minted sergeant with the less-than-desirable assignment of breaking up the resident crime family. I sent her downtown to meet some locals, and look who turned up. (As always, thanks to @CravenLestat for sharing Paulina with me. She's still wonderful.)

"I know all about your worthless son, and believe, me, I have my eye on him."
    LQavgbn.jpg

"Is your dad making you unhappy, Lolly?"
    cZQoFLu.jpg

"You know, you can talk to me. I'd like to help you, if you'll let me."
    ::sniff::

fvzCCXM.jpg

"Don't think for a second that I believe your sort-of-clean reputation. I know exactly what you are."
    LewVcCT.jpg

"Wow, for a wannabe politician, you really are a terrible liar. Wait, are you crying?! You've got to be kidding me."
    cyVAVOX.jpg
  • Options
    lydiaofmemeteamlydiaofmemeteam Posts: 32 Member
    I had an idea for a backstory for one of my sims that tended to be down and out most of the time and didn’t really know anyone too well. She argued a lot with the person she lived with and I can up with the backstory that she had recently moved to Willow Creek and didn’t have an easy time adjusting. She eventually made a few friends who insisted she try a little bit harder to get to know the other townies and engage in things that were interesting to them, even though she didn’t enjoy them very much. She married her spouse when she was 18, settling down and missing out on a big part of being a young adult with less responsibilities. She’s slowly learning to take that time back and have some fun with her new friends, even if they don’t always understand where she is coming from. This is also easier because she doesn’t have any children, luckily not having rushed too much into her familial ambitions.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2018
    Absolutely OP, it makes Sims 3 like playing two games for me even. The part where I’m playing and following what happens, and after that what I do with the pictures (which like in your example can turn out differently than what actually happens, I like that).

Would be a nice idea to share some random pictures and have other simmers give it a shot to make their own story out of it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I do have backstories for my sims and try to put the story in the beginning chapters of my threads. I do add things as I go along at times as well if I can fit it in the story. I do have to go back and refresh my memory at times since I have several stories going on at one time and my memory is not always the best. :wink:
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Yes I have just done that for one Sim today!

46939141_10155965046906497_7006515763557171200_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=9baa50a99b019c5273961d0087297ae7&oe=5C790E16

46831476_10155965046321497_8146058745684688896_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=565d417c498fe69984177ba1a46986c6&oe=5C7545D5

47008212_10155965046261497_5475302034963955712_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=a2aa09bb999e018c8f03ceb69fe92409&oe=5C6D23ED
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited November 2018

I love the idea and always wanted to get into story making in the sims but never really have and I've been playing since TS1. I do have themes for each game save game though and a basic direction how I want each sim's life to go. My back stories are pretty loose though.

This is from TS4 but I've had similar games in TS1-3 as well:
    My "Fables" save game is probably is the most story driven. That's my "out there" game with the most aliens, vampires etc.. The Goths are the founders, the Sweets are the only "normal" sims in the world but live in a gingerbread house. So far It's the only save that I play so called evil sims. I have some witches that I focus on herbalism, the Addams family, a gnome king and queen. One of my favorites is Dr. Krieger from the show Archer, a mad scientist who I got alien pregnant then married an alien and had a child with her.

This wasn't intended but Lurch from the Addams family kept getting abducted every night for about a week. I was a little disappointed that he never got pregnant. 🙄

I don't play that one too often since I'm kind of waiting to see if they're going to put some type of magic and more supernaturals in the game. Plus I waffle about how I feel about Pugsley and Wednesday Addams growing up. Sometimes I can't wait to play them as adults other times it just feels blasphemous to change the family unit as is since it's what I grew up with on TV and in the movies.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Options
    N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    I always have a background story of some sort in my head for every household and sim that I start. Back when I played Sims 2, I started out just playing and not caring and then I thought one day, but where did they come from? So I restarted my game with some sims in old fashioned clothing so that they would appear like that in the family tree, progressing to newer fashion periods as the generations did. Then I had to make up a story about where THEY came from. Ever since, I've only ever been able to play with some kind of imagined beginnings.

I loved doing that in TS 3.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've done that in both TS2 and TS3 with my games as I start out the town and I've got a great one with my current game which is an apocalypse challenge in Sunset Valley2 which is being used to serve as Salisbury Beach,Massachusetts.It's set in the 16th century as fishermen started to bring settlers over to start up fishing colonies so they could have harbors to stop in on fishing runs.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Yes! Even without planning it, story emerges from play. I don't think I could play without story coming into my head.

From a bare bones of having a YA Sim attend University for a Fine Arts degree and staying in Frome Cabin, and gradually renovating it, I came up with a whole story about this art student actually renovating an historic building on campus as part of her degree program, and going on to be a curator, owning the art gallery in her home town, and on and on.

Even playing in just a kind of sandbox mode spawns stories for me, but actually documenting them is more work than I am usually up for.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,925 Member
    Yes. And then I make videos about it and put them onto YouTube.
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    That’s basically all I do... ;)
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I don't think in stories. I think in family dynamics. I enjoy reading the stories of my simmer friends but it's usually the relationships that draw me in rather than their stories. I guess I lack imagination ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    @DivinylsFan
    That is such a great idea! I’ve never really thought about starting my families out in an older setting like you have.

Although now that I think on it technically I have. I made a long convoluted backstory of my legacy family. I imagined the original heir being born during the medieval ages, where witch burning were prevalent. It involves vampires, witches, wizards, and a long held grudge that have caused the deaths of many of my legacy heirs and their spouses. My supernatural save and my normal save are connected for that reason alone. But I’m terrible at making an actual story though so I haven’t bothered :D

@puzzlezaddict
    Lol oh I’m always adding subtitles as well. Makes gameplay so much fun :)
    I love your story too! Each generation of my sim legacy has had a different theme so that has helped. I even had a sim similar to yours in her job. Lol

@lydiaofmemeteam
    What a fun backstory to play out! You’re giving me ideas. Haha :)

@JoAnne65
    Ohh great idea with posting some pics for others to make a short story around. I haven’t been in game for a few days but I’ll have to check out my hoard of old pics to find some fun ones.

@bekkasan
    I’ve made up a backstory with my legacy family and retroactively added a family member to the founders of the legacy just for some added drama so I can definitely relate with you there. Lol

@king_of_simcity7
    It’s always fun to make new stories :)
    Great pics! Looks like a good beginning.

@treece01
    Ohhhh I’ve done almost the same thing!!! I based one of my supernatural families around the Addams and even made a Lurch-based Butler. But due to my experimenting on him by attempting to turn him into a mummy butler he quit. I wonder why :#:D

@TadOlson
    I really need to try an apocalypse challenge one of these times! Every time I see you mention yours or see others around the interwebs I always want to try it out :)

@Sindocat
    I have never had a sim go to university yet. I meant for my 6th gen legacy heir to but he drowned as a child so I was never able to. Although I’ve been thinking of resurrecting him for some added drama in my legacy :p

@Karritz
    You are a much better simmer than me. I have absolutely no patience for making sims videos and shudder at the effort it would take to create said videos. Pics are bad enough :p
    I’ll have to check out your channel!

@Charlottesmom
    Keeps things interesting :mrgreen:

@Mikezumi
    I’m a terrible story teller so I can relate with your lack of imagination. Lol. You are absolutely great at creating sims though! I’m always astounded at how accurate you are at creating sims and making them look like their RL counterparts.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,925 Member
    @Amphora this is one of several threads I've got in the Stories and Legacies section. I have a thread for each video series.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/931841/the-story-of-oscar-and-louise#latest

• Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Thanks for the link, @Karritz :)

Although my supernatural sims are mostly there to be crazy and do weird things for my own amusement, a few of them I gave rather sad backstories. One of my favorites is this guy, Josiah (for many reasons obvious :D ):
    tumblr_pi3meqm22y1xq9hdmo2_1280.jpg
    After being bitten by an unknown werewolf and he began developing the unstable symptoms of lycanthropy, Josiah accidentally killed his wife. Feeling guilt and self-disgust, Jo is always on the move from town to town never forming any long lasting relationships - and he wears his wedding ring as a sign of his guilt.

One of my favorite things about him are his silver eyes, I thought they would be a good reminder of the Silver Bullet killing werewolves in classic lore. I meant the eyes to be symbolic because every time he would look in the mirror and see his glowing silver eyes it kills him to be reminded of his lycanthropy. He is also considerably taller than most sims in the neighborhood due to being a werewolf.

Although my lifeguard Marianne and he have autonomously formed a relationship that I have found adorable so I have a story between those two now as well. Lol
    tumblr_inline_paao6eeXGu1vhkp6x_540.jpg
    I’ve also made so that Jo also always has a fresh cut on his face or bruises on his body since, during his transformation, his werewolf side is always fighting with other animals or other beings throughout the town.

It keeps gameplay fresh, y’know?
  • Options
    lydiaofmemeteamlydiaofmemeteam Posts: 32 Member
    @Amphora Thank you! I’m trying out new things to see if it helps me get invested more into my game!
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Amphora Thanks for the feedback :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    Josiah's backstory is so heartbreaking! I hope he can find happiness with Marianne.

This year I think I've spent way more time thinking about my sims, their past and future than I actually play them lol.
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited November 2018
    Sometimes, depends on why I'm playing a particular game.

Sometimes I'm just focusing on trying something new. Sometimes I'm developing sim families to use in unpopulated worlds. Sometimes I'm redoing a world (I am almost never satisfied with things as they are, I like to edit or "improve" - sims, lots, worlds). Sometimes I just want to set up a situation and see what happens. In those case I usually don't generate little back stories.

Other times I do like to incorporate little incidents of the game play into a story, especially if I am playing a "story". One example was when I was writing/playing my Girl Who Cried Wolf story. I developed details in one of the character's back story to fit the title of the book she was writing Driving with Duckies.

Even when I am not writing a story I will incorporate things from game play into their back story. I often play a young adult or teen male sim to develop his skills, career and back story in one world. Then save him as a household to be brought into a new game started with a child female sim when she reaches young adult, merging their two stories.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2018
    @Amphora Josiah is awesome, his eyes are amazing. I played a similar story once, but in my case it was a vampire and he accidently killed his wife and baby daughter. In an attempt to kill himself (grief and guilt) he threw himself of the cliffs into the sea, but being a vampire he obviously couldn’t die. Mermaids took him to a spooky world where time stood still (Midnight Hollow), where he tried to survive with other poor souls who had ended up there (turning them into vampires as well, since this was the only way to fight off the creepy inhabitants in MH). And then, after more than a century, my heir showed up in their world and they fell in love :mrgreen: And (long story short) she managed to save them all with her genie powers (and a little help of her grandparents and uncles, genies as well and a witch).

It’s so romantic to play a tormented, handsome man <3:blush:

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    I guess so, but @puzzlezaddict and @Mikezumi have good points, a story can be so many things! Reporting about it here could make it a fiction detached from the game, and venture into the game could produce a fantasy more or less outlined; or perhaps the story is a scenario being just another feature with the actual dynamics and functions of the game. Sometimes the repetition of options would produce a need to infuse them with some external symbolism to make them interesting; at the same time the multitude of alternatives often benefit from some narrowing down to specific themes to introduce some sort of control over the happenings. Personally I think I ascribe the Sims Community in combination with the game's functionality with more of a symbolic structure than my actual gamesaves. Going through the forums it entertains me to see us as the dolls in the dollhouse, being so communaly tied to and persistently occupied with this tale of "making manz and womanz and their houses".