Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Feeling a little disappointed with Get Famous...

mmt3363mmt3363 Posts: 385 Member
Don’t get me wrong, I’m loving pretty much all of the new features in the expansion. But I was really excited to have a new town to play and build in, and then when I actually got to see it in game, only 6 residential lots?!?!? And three of them are already taken?!?!?

It’s a total bummer. I was so hoping to have an ocean facing lot to build a beach house on. I was hoping to have some cool, developed space to expand into. It’s such a disappointingly tiny town though, and there are exactly zero lots along the beach. I’m kinda floored that it’s such a cool concept for the town and could have had some really versatile looking lots, and it’s just sort of empty instead.

Anyone else kinda bummed out about the size?

Comments

• Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    DslpeabVsAAdjsA.jpg:large

At first, I was. The only available lot in the best part of town is roughly double the size of what I prefer to build on. Tonight, I built a Mid-Century style home that's a raised ranch style. I built it on the 20x20 lot on the island in Windenburg, but I'm thinking about replacing Ward Park with it. In my game, no one uses the park and it's going to waste.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    That is why I am waiting patiently to pay the price it really deserves. I am interested in it but not at full price as the neighborhood is small with an lot of artwork that really does nothing for me and should have been an GP.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited November 2018
    Think the majority of people have been, since it is an interesting concept and unique town especially having another city. At best just wanted maybe two more lots at best. I honestly wasn't expecting any overly large world considering Get to work had like 4 retail lots for a world being the smallest one to date. Another city related lot and definitely was wanting sims to live in another one that wasn't a suburban area.

The pack itself is still amazing and haven't thought much on the world with so much to do.
    Post edited by LadyKyn on
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2018
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    Think the majority of people have been, since it is an interesting concept and unique town especially h aving another city. At best just wanted maybe two more lots at best. I honestly wasn't expecting any overly large world considering Get to work had like 4 retail lots for a world being the smallest one to date.

The pack itself is still amazing and haven't th ought much on the world with so much to do.

You will think of it when you have no more room to house them in the new world and have to move them into other worlds where their very presences disrupts everything. Try eating in a restaurant with your families on rotation, or go to a club or do anything when a celeb move to your town so you can move another starlet to studio town. When they show up - in restaurants - eating for your other sims - forget it. Partying for your other sims or work outs at the gym - forget it. Your sims will starve. Your sims just gawk. Worse decision they ever made was not having enough lots for plenty of stars in the new world. You shut off their fame and you have wasted all that time getting them famous - so what is the point?

It was a great concept - then they fouled it with no housing for them in LA.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,531 Member
    Same.
    My mind works differently than EAs.
    They said some worlds will be big and some will be small.
    Well this one is a city with beachfront possibilities.

This is the one that should have been big.

I am making it work though.
    I sacrificed two lots in Starlight Boulevard and made them mid-range residential. We need lots that fall in between the starter lots of Mirage park and the Luxury homes in Pinnacles. Although I don't think Mirage park is really for starter homes. The lots are too big. The surrounding fake housing look like starter homes.

I deleted the Museum and replaced it with a CyberCafe with a movie set copy inside.
    Studio BPB has been moved to the Pinnacles area and replaced with a Dance club with a nice VIP room on the top floor.
    I can live with it, but I believe EA miss a golden opportunity for a truly awesome world in TS4.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

You will think of it when you have no more room to house them in the new world and have to move them into other worlds where their very presences disrupts everything. Try eating in a restaurant with your families on rotation, or go to a club or do anything when a celeb move to your town so you can move another starlet to studio town. When they show up - in restaurants - eating for your other sims - forget it. Partying for your other sims or work outs at the gym - forget it. Your sims will starve. Your sims just gawk. Worse decision they ever made was not having enough lots for plenty of stars in the new world. You shut off their fame and you have wasted all that time getting them famous - so what is the point?

I actually don't have that many sims in rotational, so no I don't really think about it at that time. :) So, I don't really run out of room, since I rarely ever get through two generations, since I tend to play with aging off.

Like I said I'm not thinking about the town because I'm more so involved in the gameplay. Already played in restaurant and been to the club. Celebs aren't actually that invasive in the restaurants I've been too. Even had one celeb out on a date with another opposed to two fans and a paparazzi they were able to finish a meal and other sims not kill over or not finish a meal. Only thing with the club is the DJ getting distracted at least twice before going back, so I already know.

As I said above, the city and overall look looks great, but being a 'city' more lots were expected. I still enjoy the pack that's probably really my only negative with this pack.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    yuppyupp Posts: 570 Member
    The game should have definitely been a gamepack. The pack mainly focuses on the acting career. I understand that sims can get famous a ton of different ways but those ways aren’t completely fleshed out. I also feel like the celebrity lifestyle is lacking. Once my sim hit 5 stars I had no idea what to do with them anymore. I would have liked to see better reward ceremonies.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

I actually don't have that many sims in rotational, so no I don't really think about it at that time. :) So, I don't really run out of room, since I rarely ever get through two generations, since I tend to play with aging off.

Like I said I'm not thinking about the town because I'm more so involved in the gameplay. Already played in restaurant and been to the club. Celebs aren't actually that invasive in the restaurants I've been too. Even had one celeb out on a date with another opposed to two fans and a paparazzi they were able to finish a meal and other sims not kill over or not finish a meal. Only thing with the club is the DJ getting distracted at least twice before going back, so I already know.

As I said above, the city and overall look looks great, but being a 'city' more lots were expected. I still enjoy the pack that's probably really my only negative with this pack.

I ply with aging off too - generations has nothing to do with it - I play a lot of households and the Maxis sims as well but I control aging because they don't offer epic aging which I prefer to play.

My two daughter- in laws are up in arms about what is going on in all their town outside of the new world because they moved the stars in other places and now the normal sims - all the do is stand and gawk. So maybe it is fine as long as they stay where they belong - but if you play a few hundred sims like I and many others usually do - they need to be moved somewhere to give other sims a chance to become stars.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Hmmm... imo this pack has too much in it to be a game pack.

The new world is a disappointment with so few lots but it's not a big issue for me. I don't plan to have loads of celebrities in existence anyway. I play rotationally and will just have a select few becoming famous.

Personally, I am surprisingly satisfied with the content and game play, as much as I have experienced it so far.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited November 2018
    The size of the world is the only disappointment I have with this pack. I am not one that makes worlds a huge must have on my list anyways. Seasons is always named as the number one favorite of people and it didn't contain a new world. Having a huge world doesn't make or break a pack. It's all about the gameplay. Those not getting this pack just because the world is small are missing out on some of the funnest and most involved game play that has come from a Sims pack! I am absolutely surprised at how fun this pack is versus my low expectations.
  • Options

I ply with aging off too - generations has nothing to do with it - I play a lot of households and the Maxis sims as well but I control aging because they don't offer epic aging which I prefer to play.

My two daughter- in laws are up in arms about what is going on in all their town outside of the new world because they moved the stars in other places and now the normal sims - all the do is stand and gawk. So maybe it is fine as long as they stay where they belong - but if you play a few hundred sims like I and many others usually do - they need to be moved somewhere to give other sims a chance to become stars.

I feel like generations do contribute. Kids grow up and I want to move them into another home, since I personally wouldn't have them at the same house, but that's just 'me' and not others. I don't have much this problem since as I said I don't plays 'hundreds' of sims, so I can see why others would have the problem and definitely need more space.

Just my personal opinion on the pack as I've been clocking in quite a lot of hours in it and I barely touched the acting aspect. I do really love the gameplay and not constantly thinking about the disappointment in the world with a lacking of a few lots while I'm playing.

Best I can think of is a lot trait that would keep celebrities from visiting or not visiting lots at all if you have a sim possibly trying to rise to fame by either music or etc, busking for tips as well and here's a celebrity coming along to steal your sims thunder. Aggravating, but see the realism in it as well in trying to struggle to get into the spotlight. Seem like I only ever have that problem with Thorne Bailey being a musician. THE Thorne Bailey is playing the guitar at this venue? Tough luck for my sim. Gets all the attention until he leaves or goes off to drink at the bar or a VIP area.

Majority of the time in the game celebrities are usually sauntering around elsewhere on the lot or outside of it so they haven't been nearly as invasive, especially since I opted out to have any more celebrities spawn via townie. (Because they will spawn five to ten more.)
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options

The new world is a disappointment with so few lots but it's not a big issue for me. I don't plan to have loads of celebrities in existence anyway. I play rotationally and will just have a select few becoming famous.

Personally, I am surprisingly satisfied with the content and game play, as much as I have experienced it so far.

Pretty much how I feel, it does have quite a lot in it to be a game pack.

Barely played a lot with the acting career as everything else outside of it has been keeping me busy and making me rotate more. Not to mention with the style influencer career with being able to design masculine or feminine trends fo sims to be walking around in and watching a sim walk in a design you made now and again on a lot? I'm loving that.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    DeerLordDeerLord Posts: 236 Member
    I hate it. If it made sense for any world to be more fleshed out and provide more things to do, it was this one. It's even worse considering we're still starved for space.

Saying that, this is probably the only pack that I'd accept if it was a compromise. It seems like the work they saved on the world actually went somewhere worthwhile since it's well-designed gameplay wise and I can't really pick out any bases that weren't covered or anything important missing. It'd be nice to have both but I'm glad to have something that I can see myself getting a lot of gameplay value out of over more places to put a few extra lots.
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I ended up not replacing Ward Park with a home. When I attempted it, you could say my Sim's cats met a lot of new friends that walked by. The strange part is that in my current save no one would be in or around the park in the middle of the day.

One thing I noticed about the expensive homes in the Pinnacles. How come a house has four bathrooms, but only one of them has a toilet?

As for the pack itself, I'm having a lot more fun with it now that I moved my Sim back to the Mid-Nowhere lot on the island in Windenburg. She can still become famous, but she also has a lot of peace and quiet compared to living in Mirage Park.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    edited November 2018
    To be honest I never thought the lack of lots would bother me, but man, it really does.

I wanted to plop down a lovely, fancy modern home in SDV for my sim to move into, but the only options I have are Mirage Park? A fancy, expensive home looks so odd there.

I still think they should have opened up the space on the bottom right of the map...its just blank. Or even the beach area? It would be so fitting to have homes with an ocean view.

edit: I ended up moving him to Windenburg instead.
    Post edited by ParmaViolet87 on
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    CommanderKeenCommanderKeen Posts: 614 Member

Confused. It's sold as an EP. Why are you calling it a GP?
  • Options
    Caszidy215Caszidy215 Posts: 310 Member
    I love the expansion hate the small world. The new features are keeping me interested. More interested than I have ever been. I honestly don't use the world because its actually so small that its useless. I added more lounges in my other towns/cities. I put two lounges in the City and i put one in New Crest. I think I have a total of 6 now... I play rotational too.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,895 Member
    mmt3363 wrote: »
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m loving pretty much all of the new features in the expansion. But I was really excited to have a new town to play and build in, and then when I actually got to see it in game, only 6 residential lots?!?!? And three of them are already taken?!?!?

It’s a total bummer. I was so hoping to have an ocean facing lot to build a beach house on. I was hoping to have some cool, developed space to expand into. It’s such a disappointingly tiny town though, and there are exactly zero lots along the beach. I’m kinda floored that it’s such a cool concept for the town and could have had some really versatile looking lots, and it’s just sort of empty instead.

Anyone else kinda bummed out about the size?

Quite a few simmers feel the same. :)

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/949871/del-sol-valley-world-size-is-disappointing/p1

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/949907/ea-should-seriously-edit-del-sol-valley/p1

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/949915/the-lot-sizes-in-del-sol-valley-are-ridiculous/p1
  • Options

Confused. It's sold as an EP. Why are you calling it a GP?

She's referring to the poster who hasn't yet purchased Get Famous but thinks it should be a game pack because of the world size and number of lots.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Ravager619 wrote: »

At first, I was. The only available lot in the best part of town is roughly double the size of what I prefer to build on. Tonight, I built a Mid-Century style home that's a raised ranch style. I built it on the 20x20 lot on the island in Windenburg, but I'm thinking about replacing Ward Park with it. In my game, no one uses the park and it's going to waste.

That's a beautiful home. I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I've noticed there are a lot of walk bys in that area and it would be good location for an up and coming style influencer to meet new clients.
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Me, since the embargo lifted. I'm still waiting for a good sale to get the GF. We have a lot of discussion in the threads as listed by the @simgirl1010
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited November 2018
    Think the majority of people have been, since it is an interesting concept and unique town especially h aving another city. At best just wanted maybe two more lots at best. I honestly wasn't expecting any overly large world considering Get to work had like 4 retail lots for a world being the smallest one to date.

The pack itself is still amazing and haven't th ought much on the world with so much to do.

You can put your celebs in disguise so no one gawks at them.
  • Options
    mmt3363mmt3363 Posts: 385 Member
    edited November 2018
    Ravager619 wrote: »
    DslpeabVsAAdjsA.jpg:large

I have made use of Ward Park myself in this way; added in a small loft style house for an up and coming actress I’m playing. It’s not too bad a lot for a house. The manmade waterfall makes for a nice view, and the area there has been handy for when Ariel (my actress) goes for a run with her dog, Pepper, as she does almost every morning.

I’m just really hating not having a beach lot, and that the lot areas that we do have are so cramped and dull in comparison to other towns. Windenburg knocked my socks off when it came to size and appearance, and I was really hoping that Del Sol would be the same. Instead, it reminds me of Midnight Hollow: unbelievably small, not a lot going on, and limited practical use due to the design of things. Everything except for the celebrity neighborhood has a very “bad side of town” type aesthetic in my opinion, and that limits me on the kinds of families and sims I can reasonably see living there.
    Post edited by mmt3363 on
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

You can put your celebs in disguise so no one gawks at them.

Hmm.... I am not opposed to modding. If MCCC had a “force celebrity disguise” as a setting much like disguises for aliens and dark form for vampires then this pack would be much better for me.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited November 2018
    I'm quite dumbfounded by how they thought the world that resembles one of the biggest cities in the United States should be one of the smallest. It's just really strange how a world such as Windenburg offers far more space and breathing room for our Sims over the world in GF.

I haven't purchased the pack, and I honestly don't have any major inclination to, with so many other great games having just released. But it's the annoying controversies such as this, the countless and growing list of bugs with the game, and more that make me very adamant against paying full price for a pack. If I do feel compelled to buy a Sims 4 expansion pack, I go no higher than 50% off. It feels that is their appropriate value.