Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 pets vs Cats and Dogs

Comments

• Options
    samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    Sims 4 Cats and Dogs
    I prefer the cats and dogs in 4 and get more use out of them than I did in 3. Although 3 had the horses but I literally only played them for a couple of hours since they were so difficult to interact with and I never touched the smaller creatures so they're no loss to me personally. I love the vet career, although tend not to run businesses very often as my sims are always too poor for that. But ultimately I'm in love with the world in 4, it was worth the money for the world alone as far as I'm concerned. I often play homeless and apocalypse challenges but sims 4 had nowhere that looked right, but now there is a perfect lot that's hidden away and surrounded by trees with a fishing pond, benches and public toilet nearby. That combined with laundry stuff has made me one very happy simmer.
  • Options
    micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    Sims 3 pets
    I do like the look of the pets in Sims 4 but they are basically moving objects. They do not have skills or family trees and they are not playable. I also really miss the horses.
  • Options
    wildflutterbywildflutterby Posts: 41 Member
    Sims 3 pets
    ... as I prefer The Sims 3.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Both equaly
    I've been playing with dogs in my Sims 3 legacy these past months, and the dogs in TS4 shine in some areas.

TS4 dogs:
    - IMO have more of a presence in my sims' lives. My TS3 sims do interact with them autonomously, but it's somewhat limited
    - Don't have as many routing problems
    - Can be interacted with by toddlers. Surprisingly this is absent in TS3
    - Have an obstacle course
    - Actually have a wider range of interactions from what I've noticed
    - Take better care of themselves on free will. Mine in TS3 often neglect their destruction and hunger needs until they're red

TS3 dogs have stuff like being able to be controlled, the hunting skill, dog houses, and sleeping on human beds, among other things.

I'm a bit more partial to TS4 dogs now
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    This is a tricky question since I've never played TS3 pets. It looks like a good pack to me. I'm not very happy with TS4 pets, but I TS2 Unleashed was not my ideal pack either. Perhaps a combination of the three? Breeding in TS2 was exciting because you would actually end up with different combos and not all the same like we have now. I like that TS3 had other pets aside of cats and dogs, even horses! In TS4 I like the tricks for dogs and all the places cats can climb, so that's what they did a good job on. Personalities are also good in my opinion. I suppose the biggest sell points of TS4 are the vet clinic and pet CAS, but I don't really care about those.
  • Options
    ariss101ariss101 Posts: 23 Member
    Sims 3 pets
    Sims 3 had more pets to play with and they weren't as buggy as the ones in Sims 4.
  • Options
    dizzydee_kdizzydee_k Posts: 475 Member
    Sims 4 Cats and Dogs
    Except I miss horses.
  • Options
    Rococo1256Rococo1256 Posts: 233 Member
    Sims 4 Cats and Dogs
    I really like the cats and dogs in Sims 4, but I really hope they bring out a horses pack. I think they will eventually. They did such a good job with cats and dogs that I can’t wait to see what they do with horses. They have an Icelandic dog this time, so I hope they have Icelandic horses too.
    I am GreenRocket on the Gallery.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Both equaly
    I prefer 4 for the cats and dogs, but I loved 3 for the horses.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2018
    Sims 3 pets
    I have still yet to find out what makes TS4 Pets so unique that they couldn't have made it a full Pets EP. I currently have a cat in my save and he literally doesn't do anything. He just rolls on the floor and sleeps. He is aloof, intelligent and something else, not really seeing the intelligent so far, as for aloof, he seems to not mind being petted or hugged so idk. I think he's either scared or obsessed by the fridge but so what?

Pets seem to just play like background characters in TS4, there's not much that they add to my gameplay other than the fact that my sim has to clean the litter box and make sure the bowl is full. He even barely scratches on his scratching post and the pet interactions aren't very unique either.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Sims 4 Cats and Dogs
    The only reason I picked 4 is that in Sims 3 my computer couldn't handle whatever it was required, and I'm playing the same computer for Sims 4. I always had to turn off anything involving animals in Sims 3.
  • Options
    thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    edited December 2018
    Sims 4 Cats and Dogs
    I hated playing with Pets in any of the previous games, but Cats & Dogs was okay. It's still not at the top of my list as far as expansions go and I don't play with pets much, but I've actually enjoyed them this time around. It'd be cool to see horses and other pets make a return though.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    Sims 4 Cats and Dogs
    I really enjoyed Sims 3 Pets, but I have to give Cats and Dogs the nod. The Build/Buy items are really nice, and I use them a lot in my more traditional home builds.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    ShepardShepard Posts: 125 Member
    Sims 4 Cats and Dogs
    I think Sims 3 Pets overdid it with horses, they just got plain annoying. But I did enjoy the riding skill though... But Cats and Dogs is by far the cutest and the most functional pack. Also gotta love being able to run your own clinic!
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2018
    Sims 3 pets
    I don’t see how some of these have nothing to do with actual pets gameplay.

I’d also like go add though that TS3 pets added much more pets. And it was fun to collect snakes and lizards and birds as well as squirrels.

Also TS3 Pets had actual racoons, not just reskinned cats with a new voice and it also had deers in addition to horses. It actually felt like a real Pets EP.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited December 2018
    Sims 3 pets
    Sims 3 pets actually had small animals. Birds. Reptiles. Rodents.
    It was pretty fun to just adopt every stray creature you found in the wild like that.

Seriously, where are my birds and reptiles, My First Pet stuff?? What's with the mammal bias? Just another reason to dislike the pack.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    Sims 3 pets
    Sims 3 has horses so....
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Never cared for horses in 3 they got boring and just seeing horses among other animals running rampid in the game got ridiculous and soon as I added that pack the game was starting to chug. Minor animals were pretty lackluster. Probably one of my most regrettable packs buying.

Cats and dogs seem to be about more or less the same with all the installments. Cute and fun. Though I really love them more in 4 as it felt like I got an attachment to them real fast.

But, I loved that your dog could get a job in Sims 2 and a carpool would come for them it was so ridiculous I just loved it and then there was the frustration of your dog digging up the yard often.

I did like the Unleashed for the first simsbgame, but your pets could die in a fire or of hunger. Very morbid. :'(
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    whimreaperwhimreaper Posts: 361 Member
    Sims 3 pets
    I love pets in the Sims 4. I think they look cuter and have a bit more personality, but Sims 3 Pets definitely had more content of higher quality. I really miss horses, as my cowboy sim was one of my favorites. The range of small pets was also much better than a few hamsters in cages (which didn't even come with Cats & Dogs). The world in Sims 3 was also WAY better than Brindleton Bay. I still think Brindleton Bay is lovely, but Appaloosa Plains (I think?) felt more realistic. I also really miss the wild animals and unicorns walking around! Not to mention controllable pets which could save a ton of hassle if the game got hectic. Still, Cats & Dogs is a solid EP and definitely worth it. I just miss a lot of the Sims 3 features.
  • Options
    EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I prefer sims 2 or unleashed
    Sims 2 Pets for me. Even though I don't give my families pets, the strays that roam the neighborhoods look the best to me and they don't constantly come to my Sims' houses.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    Sims 3 pets
    I don't miss the controlling the pets from their perspective, but I find the pets limited to just cats and dogs stifling. I would also like my Sims to have birds, fish and lizards like they could in Sims3. Some places warrant the caged pets more than a cat or a dog.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Simberella777Simberella777 Posts: 480 Member
    Sims 3 pets
    I loved the Sims 3 pets and what they could do. I could send the dogs out clear across the world to dig up and return with all kinds of treasures that my sims couldn't, or didn't have time to, get. The cats would fish for our dinner or collections, or get all kinds of reptiles and rodents if you wanted them for pets. They could even get insects that I needed for opportunity requirements when going to WA. Both (the dogs and cats) were able to get all things in the home world that my sims could only acquire by traveling. In Sims 4, it would be like sending your cat to the back yard to gather insects you needed for herbalism instead of having to travel to Granite Falls to get them. And there were also birds of all kinds.

And then the horses. I had this really beautiful, lovable, but 🐸🐸🐸🐸 horse, named Seraf. He managed to get stuck somewhere every time my sims were gone because he always went where horses weren't able to go. Since this only happened when the focus wasn't on him, I never did figure out how he managed to do this. But it was hilarious. I'd always have to bring my sims home because I could see his needs tanking and knew he was stuck somewhere. How did he climb the porch stairs and enter the front door that he couldn't fit through to end up stuck in my sims living room? No clue. He was the only horse that wouldn't follow the regular path to get to the apple trees, like all the other horses did. He had to weave through the orchard and get stuck. He never got any apples. He was the only horse I couldn't send a rider off with. The rider would dismount and he would end up stuck off the edge of the routable map, and couldn't get out.

It wasn't a bug or glitch, it was just that horse. All pets had personalities that could be very different, although they mainly all did the same things. It was fun times; sometimes annoying, but fun overall. I could control them but didn't necessarily need to do so.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Sims 3 pets
    Sims 3 Pets had more pets—including a unicorn, lol! :smiley:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    Sims 4 Cats and Dogs
    I'll go with Cats and Dogs barely. I love that I cannot control them or see their needs but I hate how I cannot see things like age or traits. I was hoping to see a brand new replacement to horses but nope.
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited December 2018
    Sims 3 pets
    1 million percent Sims 3 Pets by far. I still haven't done everything in that game and I have owned it for over 7 years. The ONLY thing Cats and Dogs has that is fun is the vet career and even that gets old VERY quickly. I also do like the genetics in Cas, but I have always said that the only things I actually like about The Sims 4 is CAS. I think CAS is a game in itself and I spend more time in CAS than in the actual game. Cats and Dogs was so lackluster and I find my sims ignoring pets in SIms 4 a lot. In sims 3 my sims always autonomously play and hug their pets, etc. I was playing sims 3 last night for like 6 hours and there are still things I haven't done even 10 years after the game was released. Sims 4 is so shallow and gets boring so quickly. Even Sims 2 is still fun and has so much to do and that game is even older than Sims 3.

Also, the horses and small pets add so much for me. I love horseback riding and showjumping, its so realistic and fun. I also love breeding horses. The small pets are so great too. I love teaching my parrot to talk and I love how you have to be careful when you have a cat in the home with the birds. I love how the smaller birds sing in their cages and I love for my kids in game to be able to have a small pet like a turtle, snake, or rodent.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top