The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fire Routing - I'm at a loss here

Can I ask who makes these decisions around here? I just want to talk. :)
I have so many questions;
Why don't parents grab their toddlers and children as they run away from fires?
Why are toddlers and children attracted to the fires?
Why do they stand in the middle of fires doing The Hokey Pokey?! Or sometimes, just talking about the weather, like their eyebrows aren't being burned off.
And of course, when random concerned citizens run in from the street, why is it the kids who run headfirst into the fires?

I have no mods in my game while this nonsense is going on.

Also in light of the recent Californian fires, I want to be clear that I don't find any of this funny.

It's kinda horrifying, even though it's just a video game.

I was playing around with the first person view for the first time when this happened. :(
The second and third images are first person view of the toddler in the middle of the fire, having come back after I made her go outside!
169grk4.png
Why are you even here, Elsa?!
zl22c3.png
2ut6hxf.jpg
29nz8yw.png
Shame, Mr. Villareal, shame!
nf1u2c.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Why do you not have sprinkler system in as they put out fires immediately?
    Never lost a sim to fire in the Sims 4 because the sprinklers put them all out seconds after they start.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Parents are supposed to pick up toddlers and run to safety, I wonder if it's glitched from the patch, or maybe because you were in first person view at the time the fire broke out. Children usually route to safety quickly too. As Writin_Reg said installing a sprinkler system pretty much guarantees no fire deaths unless you use mods that intensify fires.
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Interesting questions you have there.. I have no idea! :D Nice pics, although it's kinda horrid :s
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Never lost a sim to fire in the Sims 4 because the sprinklers put them all out seconds after they start.

Good question. I definitely prefer the sprinkler system to firemen, though getting rid of the open world also means the removal of waiting for the firefighters to drive all the way from the station to wherever your sim lived.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »

Good question. I definitely prefer the sprinkler system to firemen, though getting rid of the open world also means the removal of waiting for the firefighters to drive all the way from the station to wherever your sim lived.

Agree - the sprinkler system does a much better job than firefighters ever did. I also rarely lose anything to the fire on top of it - not even the stove which is surprising.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    NoIdeaNoIdea Posts: 15 Member
    Did they die ? Can children in the game actually die ? Not sure about that, while I sometimes do mean things to Sims in the game, I leave kids alone.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Kids and toddlers are fire proof in this game. There is no need to rescue them. They won't die, ever. But I agree TS4 is weird. Sims in TS2 run in and get the baby they left on the kitchen floor and or pick up the toddler. Jumping around has been in the game since 2000, doubt they patch that out. Most Sims go ahead and put out a fire when I played TS4, there were absolutely no consequences by fire in my game. TS4 seems not to be the same for everyone, and maybe that is part of it's problem. I have seen Sims ignore fires, and others put it out, so yeah, weirder stories
  • Options
    Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    edited November 2018
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Kids and toddlers are fire proof in this game. There is no need to rescue them. They won't die, ever. But I agree TS4 is weird. Sims in TS2 run in and get the baby they left on the kitchen floor and or pick up the toddler. Jumping around has been in the game since 2000, doubt they patch that out. Most Sims go ahead and put out a fire when I played TS4, there were absolutely no consequences by fire in my game. TS4 seems not to be the same for everyone, and maybe that is part of it's problem. I have seen Sims ignore fires, and others put it out, so yeah, weirder stories

children can die from fires. I needed child ghosts for a story, and I got them by killing the children in a fire.

Edit- removed pictures
    Post edited by Evie0602 on
  • Options
    DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    adult sims don't acutally treat toddlers or children like toddlers or children in this game, just small adults. They talk to them the same way and when they go somewhere let them wander around whereever without a care in the world. If adult sims see a lone toddler walking around, they don't worry that there's a child alone or look for the parents. Children get invites from adults to go to the club because it's all the same for them.

There's no difference, just limitations. In this case, that limitation might be of not being able to run from a fire, lol.
  • Options
    PapayaSkyPapayaSky Posts: 177 Member

Well, because parents sims should act similarly like, I dunno, parents in disaster situations. My question for the designers was about routing and sim behavior. Sprinklers are not a good excuse for sims not to grab their children as they run from fire. I guess some of you guys have never experienced children die in your game.

Parents are supposed to pick up toddlers and run to safety, I wonder if it's glitched from the patch, or maybe because you were in first person view at the time the fire broke out. Children usually route to safety quickly too. As Writin_Reg said installing a sprinkler system pretty much guarantees no fire deaths unless you use mods that intensify fires.

I have never seen parents pick up their kids and route away from fire, in all my 16 years of playing this game.
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »

children can die from fires. I needed child ghosts for a story, and I got them by killing the children in a fire.

ic2Q9KL.png
    s92OfLA.png

This.

• Options
    DreamaDove wrote: »
    adult sims don't acutally treat toddlers or children like toddlers or children in this game, just small adults. They talk to them the same way and when they go somewhere let them wander around whereever without a care in the world. If adult sims see a lone toddler walking around, they don't worry that there's a child alone or look for the parents. Children get invites from adults to go to the club because it's all the same for them.

There's no difference, just limitations. In this case, that limitation might be of not being able to run from a fire, lol.

I understand this reasoning, I just think it's awful. Parenthood tried to take care of some of the behavior, but IMO, not in a lasting or meaningful way.
  • Options
    PapayaSky wrote: »
    DreamaDove wrote: »

I understand this reasoning, I just think it's awful. Parenthood tried to take care of some of the behavior, but IMO, not in a lasting or meaningful way.

Oh yeah, I don't mean to say I like the way they're developed. I hate it since my child and toddler sims don't really feel any different than my regular sims. They're all the same. TS4 doesn't execute life stages or personalities very well.
  • Options
    SimGuruMrESimGuruMrE Posts: 35 SimGuru
    Parents of Toddler Sims will attempt to route to and pick up their toddler when running to safety from a fire. Parents of Children Sims will not pickup their Children Sims but Children Sims should route to safety on their own. Interesting tidbit....Toddlers are Fireproof and a parent that attempts to route to and pick up their toddler will temporary also become fire proof.
  • Options
    SimGuruMrE wrote: »
    Parents of Toddler Sims will attempt to route to and pick up their toddler when running to safety from a fire. Parents of Children Sims will not pickup their Children Sims but Children Sims should route to safety on their own. Interesting tidbit....Toddlers are Fireproof and a parent that attempts to route to and pick up their toddler will temporary also become fire proof.

Thank you for the feedback. I'm sorry to say I've never seen any of these toddler/parent actions in my games during a fire. The kids rarely route away unless directed to as well. It's nice that the game is varied so that everyone gets different results, but I'm jealous! I don't get a lot of the odd/funny occurrences, i.e. alien babies. Or super sim parents, apparently :l Ah well, the game is still endlessly enjoyable.
  • Options
    PapayaSky wrote: »
    SimGuruMrE wrote: »

Thank you for the feedback. I'm sorry to say I've never seen any of these toddler/parent actions in my games during a fire. The kids rarely route away unless directed to as well. It's nice that the game is varied so that everyone gets different results, but I'm jealous! I don't get a lot of the odd/funny occurrences, i.e. alien babies. Or super sim parents, apparently :l Ah well, the game is still endlessly enjoyable.

Yeah, I've never seen any of my parent sims to do that either.
  • Options
    SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,278 Member
    It would also be nice if parents could carry their babies out during a fire. Had one couple leave their infant twins behind when a fire broke out in the next room.
    image.png
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I’ve seen parents pick up toddlers in a fire. Perhaps it’s broken by the patch.
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    I've seen kids right now away from the fire in my game. I've had fires break out while in vacation in granite falls and my child sims are always the first to run away from it. I've yet to try it since the patch though so things could be bugged now. As far as toddlers I've yet to have a fire around a toddler yet to know if they can pick them up or not but I do know toddlers are fire proof.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".