Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I spend so much money on Sims 4...I'm in disbelief.

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
Uh...so I literally own every single DLC for this game and my mouse cursor is hanging over Get Famous right now. I use my bank pre-paid CC for my small online purchases which I transfer money onto, so nothing is an impulse buy this way.

I don't think I've ever bought an expansion or gamepack on sale - stuff packs yes. Whats worse is origin raised the price of expansion packs in Canada to $51.99 online - despite local retailers still selling them for $39.99 AND origin now includes sales tax this year (never did before).

So this expansion pack will cost me $54 if I buy it from Origin.

Of course I could wait until it goes on sale, which most likely will be next month and the ONE mod I cannot live without will probably become broken tomorrow (no blue light or glow) because I HATE HATE HATE the blue filter the Sims 4 uses.

Still I'm staring here at my purchase button for Get Famous...I feel like I'm spending more money then I want on it BUT after I buy it I won't think about it either. It just feels oddly expensive to me is all.

Yet I just spent $10 on skins for Dead By Daylight...so ya, that money went far.

Still, I can't believe I've spent roughly $500 on the Sims 4, especially for a game I've barely played this year.

Maybe I should make a mod and support it via patreon to pay for the Sims now lol.
Post edited by TOLKIEN on

Comments

• Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    Sometimes I buy the games from amazon and get the code if they have a cheaper price. We all pay for entertainment in one form or another, so if this is what is fun for you, then I say go for it. :smile:
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Blue light?

Don't know if this is what you're talking about but you could download flux.

It filters blue light out to a degree of your choosing. Maybe that's not what you're talking about though.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I put in $40 US dollars in a currency converter -- current exchange rate has it come out to close to $53 CAN, so it likely wasn't EA raising the price in order to get more money out of Canadians but rather just responding to the usual fluctuations in exchange rates. At least Canada doesn't add extra taxes like some other countries do.

For me, I don't really think much about the money I spend because it's part of my annual entertainment budget, along with cable TV and the occasional movie or sports event my husband and I attend. I really don't play many other games (not a fan of fighting/shooting/killing games which seem to predominate the gaming market, and I don't have a console to play any of the sports games (maybe next year I'll invest in one so I can try the MLB and NHL games, being a big baseball and hockey fan), so The Sims is pretty much it. I spent a lot more on Sims 3 by the time it was done, mainly with the Sims 3 Store and all the extra worlds. But again, I got a lot of entertainment out of that game over the life of the game, though it was a buggy mess that needed mods to control. If the updated Python helps to clear up some of the more annoying bugs, I could see myself enjoying Sims 4 for several years after EA stops producing content.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    I have mixed feelings about the pack, not about the money I spend on TS4 in general though. I got TS4 more than a year after the release, so I got all of the packs released until that point on sale and it already had swimming pools and ghosts etc. Regarding Get Famous ... to me the pack feels like it offers game pack value, so I will wait for the sale as I will enjoy it more for what it offers and won't have any regrets.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    JujuAwesomeBeansJujuAwesomeBeans Posts: 85 Member
    I've had this version since it was first released, but have been slow getting all of the expansions & packs. I only have Kitchen Stuff, Spooky Stuff, Outdoor Retreat, City Living, Get to Work, Cats & Dogs, and Vampires. I usually wait until there is a good sale before I got each of them too. Right now I *really* want Seasons to play during the holidays. My fiance bought me Spooky Stuff & Vampires in early October so I could play them during Halloween. There has to be a huge sale for Black Friday or Cyber Monday, so I'm waiting to get Seasons then. I also want some other pack ones, crossing my fingers they are also greatly reduced! All in all though, the Sims is the only game I spend this much money on, and I've been playing it for years, so I know it's worth it to me. No guilt here lolol. ;)
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I feel like it offers good value for me. I’ve spent $30 for one book to read over a few days, but I’ve spent hundreds of hours playing ts4. It’s like how a stuff pack costs about the same as a Tuesday deal at the movie theatre.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    This is why I wait until content is out for six months to 2 years. I can not justify spending full price on it.
  • Options
    I swear I did not type out plum....it should say Cyber Monday! lol
  • Options
    > @JujuAwesomeBeans said:
    > I swear I did not type out plum....it should say plum Monday! lol

Wow..hidden Easter egg on the forums. I've been bamboozled! hahaha
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    > @JujuAwesomeBeans said:
    > I swear I did not type out plum....it should say plum Monday! lol

Wow..hidden Easter egg on the forums. I've been bamboozled! hahaha

I am so confused. I know there’s a less than wholesome use for the blocked word, but really?
  • Options
    Blue light?

Don't know if this is what you're talking about but you could download flux.

It filters blue light out to a degree of your choosing. Maybe that's not what you're talking about though.

Ah to properly explain what I mean is that the Sims 4 uses a lighting effect that adds a layer of blue over top everything. Its not really notable in sunlight or bright rooms but becomes very evident in darker areas or shadows.

Actually your signature image is a good example of what I mean, if you remove the blue lighting filter it would actually make the colors a lot more vibrant in your signature image without changing the time of day/general lighting.

The Sims 3 used something similar but in the opposite direction with glow highlights that gave everything a shine or glow.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I put in $40 US dollars in a currency converter -- current exchange rate has it come out to close to $53 CAN, so it likely wasn't EA raising the price in order to get more money out of Canadians but rather just responding to the usual fluctuations in exchange rates. At least Canada doesn't add extra taxes like some other countries do.

Its true that EA changed pricing of their products on Origin due to exchange differences, but there has always been an exchange difference and our two currencies can get pretty close depending on the markets.

Whats more annoying is everybody else in Canada for example amazon, gamestop, walmart, ect still sell their games at US prices (so 39.99) which in turn makes little sense for EA to raise their prices to direct customers while their competitors which they distribute their products, to sell for less.

Thats why I find that annoying...not that its stopped me from buying from them lol, since it takes like an extra month for the retailers to get the products in stock for whatever reason. Even amazon.com doesn't have Get Famous available for pre-order.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I think if you're already putting so much consideration into the price, it'd be best to wait for a sale. Otherwise you'll end up playing it the first few days only able to focus on how much you've spent. This is something that doesn't particularly bother me, I guess because I play other games where I could spend $20 for a skin or $40 for a costume or something silly like that.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited November 2018
    I have bought every pack for myself on release day since Sims 1, with the exception of Katy Perry Sweet Treats. I didn't buy that one until years later on sale. I also own all of the Sims 3 store, all world's. If it's sims related and it revolved around the game, I buy it as soon as it's released (or pre-order where available. I have Get Famous Pre-Ordered).

With Sims 4, I bought the base game and every pack released until City Living twice (once for me and once for my daughter). Then I realized, I'm not spending $40 for her to spend an hour in CAS and 10 minutes in Live mode. She can just piggy back off my account. My son now has her account and I bought him Cats and Dogs not to long back.

I never want to think of how much money I've spent on sims over the last 18 years. And when you start talking computers that I've bought and/or upgraded just to make sure I can play on as maxed graphic as I can... well... it's called an addiction for a reason. :D

But I don't regret any of it. I don't feel I'm wasting money or spending too much. This game has literally given me 18 years of fun and enjoyment. I don't even regret getting Sweet Treats, but I am glad I didn't buy it day of release or pay full price for it. ;)
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,972 Member
    I don't have every expansion/stuff/game pack. I go through the list on Origin and go for the ones I like the look of (so looking through the content etc). For Sims 4, I have: Get to Work, City Living, Seasons, Parenthood, Dine Out, Toddler Stuff, Kids Room Stuff, Spooky Stuff, Outdoor Retreat, Cool Kitchen Stuff and Holiday Celebration Pack. I have Get Together, Cats and Dogs, Perfect Patio Stuff and Backyard Stuff in my Wishlist. If something just doesn't interest me (for example, Vampires) I don't get it.
  • Options
    tinahjalmartinahjalmar Posts: 1,595 Member
    I spend a lot of money on the Sims also. I don't have all the stuff and game packs.

All the ones I have: Outdoor Retreat, Spa Day, Dine Out, Parenthood, Laundry Day, Toddler Stuff, Fitness Stuff, Bowling Night Stuff, Vintage Glamour Stuff, Backyard Stuff, Kid's Room Stuff, Romantic Garden Stuff, Movie Hangout Stuff, Cool Kitchen Stuff, Perfect Patio Stuff, Luxury Party Stuff, Get To Work, Get Together, City Living, Cats & Dogs, and Seasons.

I can spend hours and hours on the Sims, I've been playing it since day one when it first came out. When I have the TV on, I can tune it out. :smiley: and that's when I'm concentrating on the game! :smiley:
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited November 2018
    Yikes that price shot up.

Bout like looking at any and all EP's for sims games I bought when they first came out. Definitely adds up. Paid and owned just about every EP and stuff pack for sims 2 when it first came out and Same for Sims 3 except for like 4 Ep's and stuff packs. There's some people that's even paid for ALL the store content.

Usually I have to ask myself am I really gonna use this pack as much as I think I will and the items in it.

Never really think about how much money through the years I spent. Just the fun I had with them.
    Post edited by LadyKyn on
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    JurnéEndsJurnéEnds Posts: 59 Member
    edited November 2018
    I actually bought the Sims 4 base game when it first came out, but due to a series of interesting events, I didn't really get back into playing Sims 4 until sometime this year. I think everything but maybe Seasons was out, and I bought every pack released. That felt like "ouch" to my wallet although I can't really recall how much it all was now :D .
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    I've bought several packs on a sale, but it still adds up if I stop to think about it. Sims is definitely my most expensive hobby, considering I also got my desktop mostly for it. I play TS4 a lot though and I can justify spending money on something as long as I use it. I have a rule for buying new packs: I have to be enjoying the game content I already have. If I'm on a simming break or play very little then it means no shiny new stuff for me.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    I've purchased every pack for every Sims game on day 1. Never been disappointed. :) I couldn't imagine going any length of time without playing.
  • Options
    EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    edited November 2018
    I do not have the following packs: Outdoor Retreat, Vampires, Seasons, Cats & Dogs, Jungle Adventures, My First Pet Stuff, and I pre-ordered Get Famous. The only one that doesn't interest me at all is Vampires. If I see something from CAS that I like, I MAY get it. But right now, I don't see anything I want from it.
  • Options
    Laura_JonesLaura_Jones Posts: 485 Member
    Yeeaahhh... I wish there was financial aid available. :#
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    Yeeaahhh... I wish there was financial aid available. :#

:p
  • Options
    N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited November 2018
    Unless you think it's really going to improve your game play and increase how much you play it sounds like it might not be worth it to you. If you play online you could divide the amount you've spent by the number of hours played to estimate how much you spend per hour of game play. If that number seems reasonable and comparable to other forms of entertainment then it might be worth it for you. If not... skip it it hold out for a sale.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Options
    Laura_JonesLaura_Jones Posts: 485 Member
    Does Origin do Cyber Monday sales? It would be pretty 🐸🐸🐸🐸 to see the new EP on sale already. :D