Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Theory: The Sims 5 could become the best sims game yet

TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
I read an article for a while saying “Sims 5, No thank you”, I mean like is it’s really a NO? I honestly believe it’s not, here’s why:

*Please try to read the whole post cause I can guarantee you that most of your lifetime questions about the sims would be answered in just a few scrolls*

The Sims Olympus was a former EA/Maxis project that was planned to be the next iteration of the sims game dating back to when TS3 was still ongoing and fully active. It was supposed to feature multiplayer and a full online experience and would need constant internet connection in able to play it fully. It was also supposed to be known as the sims 4. But due to how SimCity behaved during it’s launch, this project was cancelled. But little did most of you know they didn’t really put this project in the trash forever, instead they’ve continued this project and changed some of it’s core gameplay and included many of the objects to now what we know as the sims 4. And one more thing, the sims 4 was developed for like 2 years only and that’s why the devs rushed and skipped so many things in order to passed it on deadlines. And fun fact, a sandbox game Minecraft was developed for like years prior to its beta release, care to explain this to the sims?

And *coughs* I don’t truly believe to what they commented on why the sims 4 felt rushed and didn’t had pools and ghosts at launch, they said that this was because that the team was small and only have few talented artists and have limited resources in order to make new assets and objects for the game. Please don’t believe those excuses guyz, they’re just trying to making excuses to hide the real reasons.

Yup that’s right, the sims 4 was fully meant to be played as an online game complete with multiplayer interactions. The concept of meaningful emotions was probably designed on how the sims will behave to another player online. And there was only a single life stage that you can only control at, this was the YAs. It wasn’t designed to feature toddlers, pools, kids, terrain tools, open worlds. etc. Instead, the main feature of this game was to interact with another player worldwide. The sims 4 might still be using the very same engine that it had in Olympus, the smart sim engine, is that what they call it? A game engine that we normally have it multiplayer games like fortnite, I dunno. No wonder why the game’s so optimized and smooth as we all know.

And what would be the point of having cars in Olympus if you would just teleport into another lot with your online friends. And how about terrain tools, there’s no way that an online game, assuming that it could have millions of active players online, can have terrain editing in the game.

So that’s why the child life stage felt rushed and the teens got the same height as adults, the elder life stage however didn’t felt to have any disntict differences between the adult life stage. The idea of neighborhood may somehow been created for how the sims may travel to another place or lot and the speed of the loading times might depend in your internet speed if we got olympus. And lots of things that we’ve had from the sims 3 that was supposed to be also featured to the sims 4 if only that they didn’t planned to create the sims Olympus in the first place.

So theoretically speaking, the sims 4 was a recycled (or imma say a garbage) game from a failed project and the devs (EA, no offense) tried to introduced it as “new sims game” complete with “new features” and kept saying that this was the best sims game yet. A lot of you also kept saying that the main problem why the sims 4 sucks because the sims 3 exists, but no, for me, the main reason why the sims 4, as we all know, is kinda “meh” or for some. a complete “urgggh” or “$#%&!” during its launch (or there might be some point that you can still feel it until now) is because the sims olympus existed in the first place (kinda).

The sims 4 could have been a better the sims game than the sims 3 at launch if it wasn’t only for Olympus. It could have featured the very same engine as we had in the sims 3, more improved tools and such. They could have just reused the assets and just updated the graphics and include all of the features from the previous games. And added more and new awesome things like preteens and anything that are entirely new for the sims. We could have been getting bigger and more amazing packs, like included more animals in a pet expansion, added a full size world in a seasons expansion plus the snow depth. They could have been releasing 4 EPs a year, and included more ideas for an expansion like EPs that is solely dedicated for farming, hobbies, 3 destination vacations till they run out of ideas for an expansion LMAO, and anything that would be bigger than we had in the sims 3. *phew*

And I’m not being so ambitious btw or in any exaggerated manner, I mean like these things could have been really possible to have in the sims 4. Notice how most of the sims 3 animations looked exactly like we had in the sims 2, this is because they’ve could have reused and just had tweaked these in a short time (no real effort applied) so they still had a great quality time to make entirely new gameplay mechanics and objects.
But sadly, it didn’t. *sigh* But wait, this is only the introduction of the article that I wrote in order to answer all of your unanswered questions that y’all been keeping wondering in your life.

Ironically, I think I like and really love EA. I mean like they all knew from the start the sims 4 would be a pretty “meh” game at launch till now or some sort. No wonder why they announced the sims 4 Seasons EP 2 weeks before EA Play that was supposed to be revealed at that event and should have made us all “WOWOWOWOW!!!!”. It’s not like they’re promoting more on sport games and FPS games like FIFA and Battlefield V. It’s all just because that they all knew from the start the sims 4 is not gonna be that “YEKNOW”

(I don’t want to offend other people so it’s up to you to what is it).
They’re really just protecting their reputation imo.

(LOL Reputation, I mean like their broken reputation tbh , And don’t get me wrong me please. I’m not defending EA or something like that, in fact, I really do hate EA so please, shush)
And another thing, the team is not lazy or has a small quantity of developers as the main problem here. In fact they really are big imo. It’s just that it is now really difficult to work on the sims 4 engine guyz like it’s a whole different level, a more “difficult level”, seems like the team themselves still haven’t fully explore the game engine or some sort and still having some technical difficulties on it. It’s basically like only a few of them made the game engine and then when they hired more developers, those people were like alien or strangers to that engine and had no idea how that thing would work. Believe me guyz, imma repeat this again, TS4’s game engine was orginally meant for that stupid online game Olympus and they’ve reused it instead in order to make profit from it.

The sims 4 was really a trash or a broken game since from that start if you would ask me. It’s like when you break a mug or glass that there’s no way to fully fix it or seal the cracks and pieces unless you buy another one that is better and stronger. And when we talk about the game engine of the game, it’s like when you used a square shaped tire as wheel and not a round tire for your car (sounds dumb, right?) and that’s basically how the sims 4 engine’s state is right now imo.

And now that we have the toddlers, terrain tools, the seasons and CnD expansion pack, I might still describe the sims 4 as the dark era of the whole sims franchise. Just admit it y’all and be truly honest to yourself at once, there might be some point that you think that Sims 3 is a hell lot better than Sims 4 in some perspective, and please don’t get me wrong again, I honestly love the sims 4 and been playing for like everyday and I also do believe that it has some points that are better than the sims 3. And I’m not really that kind of person who compare a sims game with one another which is really unfair inho.

Yes, the sims 4 has good graphics, the sims themselves now have meaningful emotions, and it’s way more optimized and smoother now, it’s just that I just always had a thought while playing specifically on the loading screen parts like there’s really something missing in the sims 4 that I cannot really describe it specifically in words although I just always keep believing that it is something that we previously had in the previous games. It’s not open world, cas, or anything specific, it’s just really something that I dunno.
And btw, I know that a lot of you keep saying that you don’t want the sims 4 to be a complete carbon copy of the sims 3. But hey, the sim 4 is not even a sims game anymore, a completely different game, and that’s not good imo. Their current slogan is “play with life”, but for me, it’s more like “stick with real life” and that’s why it’s sucks.

Anyways, as your read at the title, it’s about the sims 5, and how it would be the biggest sims game yet. And that’s honestly right imo. You see, the very main reason of why the current state of the sims 4 as we all know as it is, was dating back to the time of it’s development. Imma repeat this again, since from the very beginning of the development, the team already knew that when they decided to make Olympus into the sims 4, it would be bad and not as good as the sims 3.

So the only question left to be answered here is how would the sims 5 be the greatest sims game yet. The answer is simple, EA should def not make another Olympus. LOL just kidding y’all. HAHAHA
OK, so one thing should be obviously sure now, they now learned their lesson both from Olympus Project and SimCity Backlash. As far as I can see, EA is now hiring developers for the next AAA Sims Game, assuming that it would be the sims 5. And they should be using a new game engine that is pretty much likely from the sims 3 that is capable of open worlds, cars, CASt that we should definitely have in the base game at launch alongside with toddlers and pools, ghosts and terrain tools. Cause I don’t want to wait another 2 to 4 years just to take care of a toddler in my household or just to build a castle on a hill.

In conclusion, the sims 4 has always been a “meh” game (till now imho) since from the very beginning cause of it’s complicated game engine from Olympus which was clearly designed for multiplayer and online game and not for open worlds and cars. And now they keep releasing lots and lots of half-baked and cash grabbing DLCs that had always took them some time on how they could figure it out on a non-sims game engine. And now that they all learned they lesson, it would be safe to say that they would not be following the same paths again unless they’re really are so stupid and they did it again. But that’s not gonna happen, right? But time will only tell if this would came up to be true.

PS. I’m not complaining in this post, I’m just stating truth, am I right? Y’all just admit it guys that you all once had a thought and asked yourselves, there is really something missing with the sims 4.

PSS. Being optimistic doesn’t always bring good to you because “some people” might just take advantage of that optimism or “the game’s reputation” by releasing “useless packs and half-baked and buggy DLCs” that they always knew that we gotta buy ‘em all.

PSSS. Don’t be a coward my fellow simmers, I know that you are all passionate about the game but it is already time to speak, so I’m doing it now. Be brave on stating your opinions and feelings about the game. In this way, there will be a great chance that we could have a better sims game in the near future.

PSSSS. Sorry for me bad l’inglese, amigos. It’s not my main language in my country and because the way I right articles is the same way as I speak, Sorry for my bad terminologies, adverbs, and grammar. Thanks!
y'all got bread?
Post edited by TheIntrovertSimmer on

Comments

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Some of the people here already know that TS4 was recycled from Olympus. It's not exactly a secret these days

Sadly, this doesn't necessarily mean that Sims 5 will be good. Sure, they might devote enough resources to it this time without scrapping tons of work from a failed concept, but they still need to put those resources to good use. Plus this is EA we're talking about. I've no doubt the Sims team has talented and dedicated staff. It's the management I'm worried about
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    edited October 2018
    The Sims 5 might be infused with real, actual magic, and make roses bloom out of people's backsides too. But, until they actually make it happen, it's nothing more than wishes and dreams. That's the thing. In the end, no matter what, it's the reality that matters.

Sorry, I don't mean this in a mean sort of way. It's just that I'm a realist to a fault. And no matter what it could be - it's what I'll have to live with that I'm concerned with as a customer.

We could build up a lot of dreams in our minds. But that doesn't mean the next game will actually be any different. The only way to really know is to wait and see.

And that's where it starts and ends for me. I'm not going to waste my days and nights worrying about all the things that might or might not happen. I'll just wait and see how competent a product they actually deliver. They'll need to earn my money if they want it.
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    edited October 2018
    Interesting notion you have there. TBH, I just started playing TS4 this year, although, I've been playing the series since The Sims. I missed the initial darkest era of TS4 and how glad am I that I missed it. :D

I do agree with most of your points... and I knew that TS4 was supposed to be an online game. I have to admit, being an avid the Sims player, I do agree that the 'life' that I'm playing is kinda repetitive. The enjoyment when I first started to play the series is not there.. perhaps, I'm growing old and my expectation is higher.

There might be TS5 and there might be not.. but, I would rather focus on what we have at the moment. How best they can improve TS4 and keep engaging the players and increasing the market penetration and expanding the market segmentation from the cross-platforms. The higher the ROI, the better for the investors, developers and us, in general.

Ideally, TS5 should be something better than the predecessor series.. And if the franchise is still valid in the future.. I'm not even surprised if there'll be TS6, TS7, and so on, because the technology is evolving every day.

What I want the TS5 to give is incorporating something new. 'New' here means, new technology.. such as VR.. (which I know that some of the simmers can't agree with this, as I discussed it in a different thread).

Each TS series should give us something 'new' and different instead of recycling the same methods or perhaps the engine. But of course, maintaining the core game play because that is what keeping the players to keep on playing this game. :)
    Post edited by x4m1r4 on
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    You pretty much hit the nail on the head with that, TS4 was and still is a rushed game. The limitations still ring true. I have seen pictures of the new world in the up and coming EP, it looks tiny and is just poor compared to TS3 standards. In the apartment themed EP, what ever they called it you could not even edit your own apartments. It seems that after more than fur years, it is always one step forwards, three or four steps backwards.

Netherless lessons can be learnt and chances are these mistakes might not be repeated next time. If so then TS5 really could be 'the best Sims game ever made!' :smiley:

We can only hope :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    I mean, we’ve had these same statements made since 2005.

:D
  • Options
    jackjack_k wrote: »

Yet in 2005 TS2 was still new so they only ever had one game to build on
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

Point being, people said this about Sims 3 and then when Sims 3 came out, they said it could be the same for the Sims 4, 4 comes out people say that 5 could be the one.

It’s just interesting that’s its a reoccurring statement over and over. Both 3 & 4 and probably 5 whenever it comes have and will leave people wanting more.
  • Options

Point being, people said this about Sims 3 and then when Sims 3 came out, they said it could be the same for the Sims 4, 4 comes out people say that 5 could be the one.

It’s just interesting that’s its a reoccurring statement over and over. Both 3 & 4 and probably 5 whenever it comes have and will leave people wanting more.

Lets hope that TS5 really doe leave people wanting more of it :wink:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    SimDestroyerSimDestroyer Posts: 335 Member
    As long as EA is involved, The Sims 5 won't be any better than TS4. Maybe slightly better, but still not enough to beat the first three main games.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2018
    I really couldn't care less about cross over platforms, and investors. EA is a Billionx10 company, I hope they spare a big enough budget to build a game I want to buy and play. And I hope they don't mix genres this next time and get over that soon. Absolutely no cross over genre and or linear play ever again in The Sims. And absolutely no MMO backdoor features. And I hope they get over the influence of trying to create a game that would have social media spill over into it, like the way they built TS4. Such as all Sims have phones, and or need a pc or whatever, get over it/that Maxis, and build a game that is timeless. :) A timeless game allows players to play their own ideas and stories and not theirs. Period.

ETA: Need a fridge, then offer a modern fridge, and an ice box, and a creek, and a water house, timeless.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    BingBangBingBongBingBangBingBong Posts: 68 Member
    I’m hoping that EA can learn what NOT to do with Sims 5 by looking at how they mangled 4. It could go either way in my opinion. Simmers aren’t the only ones complaining about drops in quality, bizarre design decisions and just a general lack of awareness with their core titles. Star Wars, Battlefront and FIFA are the first to come to mind and I’m sure there’s more where that came from. The Sims is far from being an isolated issue.

The difference between good developers and bad developers is that good developers actually listen to complaints and constructive criticism and make changes to the product accordingly. Bad developers shift the blame to something or someone other than themselves, accuse the customer for not using the product “correctly” and continue to make the same mistakes over and over again. Switch out developers for companies and you have the same story. Both stories are currently at play here.

Right now there are no immediate, long lasting consequences for all the bad PR and terrible decisions EA makes, so there’s no incentive for them to change. As long as the executives at the top are scraping in their share of the $$$ they don’t care if the rest of the company is going up in flames. Doesn’t mean that everything is beyond repair, but it seems a massive shift in company culture would have to occur before we see any real effects trickle down into the games themselves.
  • Options
    @Cinebar Well said :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Well, we know four ways to store cold food would never happen, but maybe besides a modern fridge they could offer a chill box, not so modern looking and or maybe a food pantry object like we have with some custom fridges. So people could play a different time period rather than all Sims needing a pc and or a fridge or a phone, maybe also a paper and a quill or pen etc. and not everything interconnected with a pc etc. That way players could play a different time period instead of having to go online all the time to do something. It would only take some recolor meshing to change a pc to paper and a pen. :)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    The Sims Olympus
    ugh... This name even gives me the creeps.
    And *coughs* I don’t truly believe to what they commented on why the sims 4 felt rushed and didn’t had pools and ghosts at launch, they said that this was because that the team was small and only have few talented artists and have limited resources in order to make new assets and objects for the game. Please don’t believe those excuses guyz, they’re just trying to making excuses to hide the real reasons.

It's as if they live in a world where every year game developers don't reuse previous year's sports games to develop next year's sports games. Like... Have you ever stopped to think how much of wasted time and development they have not gone through? Have you stopped to look at the number of objects and assets that The Sims 2/3 has? (not even counting console games, The SIms Medieval and the Stories series.) I mean, the art style sure is different, the trends change over the years, but its not like i am renewing my houses furniture every single year! Also, a different texture could make a 70's couch look like a modern couch.
    Oh, i dont even talked about how nostalgic would be to have some of Sims 2 furniture in Sims 4.
    The work they would put into porting previous games to The SIms 4 would be smaller than creating everything out of thin air. They would just need to polish the objects and retexture them to match the new artstyle. (And let's not even mention that they are now releasing retextured assets that are already in the game as if they were new. I would prefer that they do the work of converting objects from the other games that are unreleased in The Sims 4).
    So theoretically speaking, the sims 4 was a recycled (or imma say a garbage) game from a failed project

Now, imagine if The Sims 4 was a recycled version of The SIms 1 + The SIms 2 + The Sims 3. BOOM! mind blowing!
    So the only question left to be answered here is how would the sims 5 be the greatest sims game yet. The answer is simple, EA should def not make another Olympus. LOL just kidding y’all. HAHAHA

Not Olympus, but its probably going to be related to Atlas. And i am afraid that we are going to have to go through everything again!

Its true, but you can see that the disappointment feeling is getting bigger over the generations. Sims 3 never had that amount of hate Sims 4 has!
    Cinebar wrote: »

Well, we know four ways to store cold food would never happen, but maybe besides a modern fridge they could offer a chill box, not so modern looking and or maybe a food pantry object like we have with some custom fridges. So people could play a different time period rather than all Sims needing a pc and or a fridge or a phone, maybe also a paper and a quill or pen etc. and not everything interconnected with a pc etc. That way players could play a different time period instead of having to go online all the time to do something. It would only take some recolor meshing to change a pc to paper and a pen. :)

I agree very much with your timeless idea. Reusing assets from the previous games would help that. Also, when i ask them to reuse assets, i dont mean i dont want to see them creating new assets for the game, but come one... Look at the cabinets and counters issue, we only have a few of them from time to time cuz its expensive to creaate them as it has to have dozens of variations of it, from wall corner counters to islands... Why is it a problem to recycle some assets from time to time?!
  • Options
    MadIrisMadIris Posts: 594 Member
    As long as EA is involved, The Sims 5 won't be any better than TS4. Maybe slightly better, but still not enough to beat the first three main games.

It will definitely be worse. EA knows it can continue to water it down and people will still lap it up. There's no reason to improve on the past.
  • Options
    Iguess66Iguess66 Posts: 115 Member
    If they go with a different engine for 5 that makes open worlds, story progression or just way more content possible then yeah, hello Sims 5! I the engine is probably why the game runs so well, but it's not worth it in the end IMO.
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Honestly I think each iteration eventually becomes better than it's predecessor. While it may lack nostalgia in the base game eventually the things we simmers love about this game does eventually come to the game. I understand some people think Sims 4 took a step back given that Sims 3 had an open world and CAS colorwheel and customization, but Sims 3 also had a lot more bug crashes due to those things as most CPU's couldn't handle the high performance. It was a smarter move to limit some of that so that the game could perform better on the average CPU in order to reach more consumers. I don't mind the load screens, though it would've been nice to at least open up the individual neighborhood, but at least the environment in each hood is explorable. And I do think that eventually there will be a Sims 5 that will address these community issues in the future. But not the near future as I also believe that a Sims 5 is some years away.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    meenakshimeenakshi Posts: 46 Member
    sims 4 would be the best game ever if they added sims 2 features and open neighborhoods, i dont even care for color wheels anymore.
    but i do agree that some of the design choices are questionable.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I think you are 100% right. My advice for sims5 would be take the best of sims3 and improve on it. It was the best ever, but needed to be able to hold more before getting error 12 all the time. That was my biggest problem.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member

Agreed. Expect micro transactions and and a monthly subscription fee when you play the Sims 5. They already put in so little content already and charge $40 for it. EA doesn't take the Sims seriously, to them it's merely a "casual" game. The Sims is their cow that they can milk to provide money for their more lucrative, AAA games.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited November 2018
    leetamme wrote: »
    Honestly I think each iteration eventually becomes better than it's predecessor. While it may lack nostalgia in the base game eventually the things we simmers love about this game does eventually come to the game. I understand some people think Sims 4 took a step back given that Sims 3 had an open world and CAS colorwheel and customization, but Sims 3 also had a lot more bug crashes due to those things as most CPU's couldn't handle the high performance. It was a smarter move to limit some of that so that the game could perform better on the average CPU in order to reach more consumers. I don't mind the load screens, though it would've been nice to at least open up the individual neighborhood, but at least the environment in each hood is explorable. And I do think that eventually there will be a Sims 5 that will address these community issues in the future. But not the near future as I also believe that a Sims 5 is some years away.

Yes, they are able to be explored. They are able to be explored exactly once. Because once you've seen everything to see in a neighborhood, that's it. All of the collectibles -- crystals, fish, plants, etc. -- will forever be found in exactly the same place. From day one to the very end, nothing in TS4 worlds change. All in the name of what, "playability"?

In order for TS4 to run smoothly, the game play, player choice, and lot space in the worlds have been stripped right out of it.

I agree that TS5 has got to be better than this. If it isn't, the series will end as something totally different from how it began. (Not in a good way.)
    catitude5 wrote: »
    I think you are 100% right. My advice for sims5 would be take the best of sims3 and improve on it. It was the best ever, but needed to be able to hold more before getting error 12 all the time. That was my biggest problem.

Those error 12s could have been corrected in the same manner that TS4 stopped them from happening. The developers could have converted TS3 to 64-bit.

By the time that TS3 really got into trouble with memory errors, 64-bit machines were starting to become the standard. An update to a 64-bit .exe would have saved paying customers so much headache.

I was stunned when TS4 launched with the same impending issues. Thank goodness it was corrected this time.

TS4 is over correcting in a really bad way.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    moristigermoristiger Posts: 10 New Member
    thanks
  • Options
    EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    I'm closing this as it was a lil while since the thread was active and we've had a few Sims 5/Sims 5 adjacent discussions happening. Let's please be mindful of when a conversation was last active, and if there are more recent conversations happening like it when responding. Thanks~
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top