Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Toddlers... Most difficult thing ever!

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    aglitteringsimmeraglitteringsimmer Posts: 56 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    @Writin_Reg Yeah, I didn't mean to be so negative about them, they are definitely a good addition and I prefer them way more in the game than out. Just wondering what you meant by the toothless thing?

The poster above you mentioned the toothless part - sorry to be confusing here. LOL. Read the post above yours - about midway through that poster said "when i walk past a toddler sitting in a shopping cart and i give them a little wave and they wave their tiny chubby fingers back and grin a toothless grin. instant aww. "

I was just letting them know toddlers are not toothless - believe me they have a mouthful of teeth. If they were toothless they were still infants - not toddlers. Sorry for the confusion - as I was trying to answer two posts and just quoted your post apparently. I posted that like a few minutes before I shut off the pc and went to bed last night.

Ahh okay no problem! And yep you're right on the toothless part.
    An average simmer wasting her life away
    --just kidding, will find a photo of my fave sim soon--
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    @rabidgummibear You are posting in the TS4 section of the forum. The toddlers are completely different from the ones in TS3.

I absolutely love the toddlers. My current household has two and two high chairs and things are going just fine. I think you really need to just get into a rhythm with the family.
  • Options
    simwolfsimwolf Posts: 323 Member
    @rabidgummibear You are posting in the TS4 section of the forum. The toddlers are completely different from the ones in TS3.

Absolutely true... they are so different and have so much more personality!

The Simwolf - happily simming since 2000
    My Sims, Saves and Challenges

Gallery: simwolf79 Twitter: @SimwolfSims
  • Options
    rabidgummibearrabidgummibear Posts: 79 Member
    edited October 2018
    Ah! Thanks! I just joined like literally 2 days ago. Sorry about the mixup.

Well that's good to know they have evolved. There might be some hope for the aforementioned free-roaming autonomy in Sims 5 then. Here's to dreaming.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    It's not the toddler, it's the chair. Get rid of it.
    I just put the food on a table and let them get food for themselves.

That said, I do like the toddler stage being a handful, as it's a really needy stage and a first development stage.
    There is also that relief when they age up. :D

If I have a Sim with the Fresh Chef trait, I'll leave food in the toddler's bedroom -- the food never spoils so they can grab it whenever they're hungry. I also work on baking skill so I can make things like breadsticks or cheesy bread they can use for snacks.

I do find that the traits do make a difference -- my Sim's oldest was Silly which is adorable; they do tend to make messes more often so you have to keep an eye on them and discipline them quickly. Currently I'm playing a Clingy toddler and she's a bit of a handful but it's so cute when her parents or even her older brother comfort her. Last time I played, she woke up with a nightmare and instead of waking up her parents she went and woke up her brother instead -- he was able to comfort her and she could go back to bed. Absolutely adorable -- I think they're going to stay close as they get older. :)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    It's not the toddler, it's the chair. Get rid of it.
    I just put the food on a table and let them get food for themselves.

That said, I do like the toddler stage being a handful, as it's a really needy stage and a first development stage.
    There is also that relief when they age up. :D

If I have a Sim with the Fresh Chef trait, I'll leave food in the toddler's bedroom -- the food never spoils so they can grab it whenever they're hungry. I also work on baking skill so I can make things like breadsticks or cheesy bread they can use for snacks.

I do find that the traits do make a difference -- my Sim's oldest was Silly which is adorable; they do tend to make messes more often so you have to keep an eye on them and discipline them quickly. Currently I'm playing a Clingy toddler and she's a bit of a handful but it's so cute when her parents or even her older brother comfort her. Last time I played, she woke up with a nightmare and instead of waking up her parents she went and woke up her brother instead -- he was able to comfort her and she could go back to bed. Absolutely adorable -- I think they're going to stay close as they get older. :)

Aw, that's so cute with the older brother! I once had a toddler go wake her dad and then immediately age up once he got out of bed.

I do the same thing with food. Anytime there's a new toddler in a household, my Fresh Chef makes a visit and preps a whole bunch of food for them. I found that if you make a family sized portion, you can have the toddler put one serving at a time into their inventory. Then they'll help themselves whenever they're hungry and no Sims will steal their food.

I prefer the clingy toddlers when I'm actually trying to max their skills out. Pair it with a parent that has the Matriarch/Patriarch trait, they gain all their skills pretty quickly.

But I love how the Charmer toddlers can give other toddlers a hug. That's made for some sweet moments.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    My preferred toddler traits are Silly (learn Imagination faster and I make a lot of Creative Sims), Independent (they don't need much looking after), Charmer and Angelic. Just starting to explore some of the more challenging toddler traits; not sure I'd do that with twins. :o
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    HeyHeyyHeyHeyy Posts: 465 Member
    Camilamjam wrote: »
    This is so true, my sim had triplets and I just could not handle going through that nightmare x3. I ended up just blowing out the candles for all of them.

Haha yeah I don’t usually play with toddlers for too long. It’s a lot

GALLERY: jdm14_xx
    LIKE my page on FACEBOOK. @jm.violetsims14

<3
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2018
    I've been lucky - multiples don't happen for me much - with my sims so I really enjoy the one at a time toddlers and play them as long as I can when my sims finally get having a family. I drag out the lives a long time before my sims get a mate and settle down. I control aging in 4 because I can't play epic like I did in Sims 3. Loved Sims 3 epic aging. Even in that my toddlers usually had at least 50 -60 days at the least. I gave kids 75 days and teens well over a 100. Infants got about 30 days. The rest was maxed as high as they could go. I did not let my sims have babies until they reached turning adults or just before they turned. So what ever they had during the adult ages and only when they brought up the want for a baby did they try for one. Lol So I sort of do that as best I can with controlling aging in 4. But I like my sims around a long time.

Right now I have hardly any in my game. I am missing them though. But I started new saves between Cats and Dogs and Seasons with all single new YA's - one at a time in their own little starter with no skills - all new -so it is taking a while going from house to house building on each one. I was grooming 5 households though of newbies roomies for the fame game only to see I have no room to put them there - without destroying lots. So now I don't know what to do with them - as it messed up my careful plans as we always were able to move 5 households in most worlds and now I can't. I guess I will have to remove all five and start over. I just don't know. I am sort of angry about it while at the same time I so looked forward to the acting thing. But I suppose I can save them for college if we ever get one. Still miffed too much to think about right now.

Don't tell me - I know it's just a game and I am being silly about it. I guess that is just me being me.

Maybe I just need to go back to New Crest and start some newbies to find love and have families and forget the whole thing. Sometimes Sims 4 makes me crazy.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    whimreaperwhimreaper Posts: 361 Member
    I agree that toddlers are the worst. One thing to consider is that (if you're not a die-hard for immersion) you can make ALL toddlers angelic or independent without it impacting them at all later, and makes them much easier to manage. You can also skip the phase entirely, but I understand that that REALLY breaks immersion. Cheating needs is another option.
    I get that if you want to be fully immersed that toddlers just suck, though. I guess the sims got that realism right, but sometimes it feels like the game becomes about chores rather than fun. I hope your sim's toddler years end quickly or that you can at least learn to enjoy them.
    :)
  • Options
    MissSpiffeyMissSpiffey Posts: 212 Member
    edited November 2018
    On my last playthrough with toddlers, I started cheating their needs. I would only do it if I tried 2 or more times to get them cared for the proper way, but half the time (or more) something would just go wrong. Caregiver manages to forget to pick them up. Caregiver stands in front of them checking his watch and waiting for toddler to stop babbling (because for some obscene reason he still hasn't managed to complete that speech lesson). Toddler crawls away and caregiver waits till toddler reaches its destination before runing after them, by which time butler has come and pick the toddler up and put them in the high chair, but his uncle had just placed his applesauce on the floor. So you tell someone to put the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 toddler on the floor so they can reach their food. You come back a few minutes later and the toddler is throwing a temper tantrum in the middle of the kitchen while 3 grown adults have a conversation about aliens, and then you realize the butler decided to clear up the uneaten applesauce and do the dishes while recounting that one time he too was anally probed. So it's at that point that I feel like the game FAILED ME and if it were working properly I wouldn't have wasted 3 sim hours trying to to get food into a toddler's mouth. Then I shift+click on them and Make Happy. Best personal policy ever.
    Gallery: #ItzSpiffy - I make custom NoCC Wall Art for the game using only my sim's camera and in-game scenery! I also love building modern mansions among other things.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    The only problem I've got with my tots is that they're 'sad' so often. We need the 'fear' emotion yesterday, because it doesn't make sense for a toddler to be 'sad' about thunderstorms and nightmares. They get sad if they make a mess while using their little pots - it would make more sense for them to be 'sad' if they use their diaper when they're partially or fully toilet-trained. They also get 'sad' if they dance too much, and Llama-forbid a relative they've never met should die.

Totally unrelated, I had a thought about the highchairs (get rid of the highchairs!). The thing that drove me 'round the bend was the food-throwing. That wouldn't have been so bad if the parent had the option to discipline the toddler for doing it. (I wanted to put the little monster on the floor and let him eat the mess. With a bad moodlet for yucky food.) I actually sort of miss the throwing food now that I have my tots serve themselves - I wouldn't mind if it isn't every single time, especially if it's linked to a particular emotion, like playful or angry. And the parent should have the option to tell the kid not to throw food.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    rabidgummibearrabidgummibear Posts: 79 Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDL-2FdWP7I

Dude! What the plum? (this is me learning to curse and swear in a Sims forum ;p)

May it never be said that the rabidgummibear does not willingly eat his words whensoever such may become appropriate. Now let's be crystal clear here. I'd never jump into Sims 4 because I must have my design options and free roam. Nevertheless, I just watched a video on toddlers from games 2, 3 and 4. I must say that Sims 4 toddlers are AWESOME...

Yes, I mean that unconditionally. Lemme explain.

First off, they SOUND like toddlers or babies or whatever. For the first time ever, I don't feel like doing things that'd involve a social worker and possible jail time the moment they open their mouths. This is huge. EA apparently either got better voice actors (think William Preston Robertson from Raising Arizona) or recorded real toddler/baby voices for Sims 4. Smart move and kudos for that. The difference between these quality rugrats and the whiny little killjoys from 2 and 3 is night and day. Yep, adults can do it. But you gotta be waaay talented to make it believable...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiYAGocOXFM

Secondly, they (appear to) have toddler-specific traits, just like what I described in my earlier posts. Moodlets and enhanced interactive menus. And thank whatever plum (plums are not deities, but you know.. censorship) is watching for giving them the ability to sleep somewhere other than the floor like some passed out fratboy. Again, these kids are not stupid. They can find ways and places to sleep, even if a parent isn't around to carry them to a baby cage.

Which brings me to the third point. Toddler-sized beds. Yes, yes and yes. I mean, why not? In what world do we put our children down with the understanding that a tantrum is going to occur one way or another?

Forgive me for saying so, but you Sims 4 players should really count your plummings (other select words would imply religion and could be considered offensive) toddler-wise. If Sims 5 continues to develop and grant increased autonomy and interactions to this age group and maybe adds in some of my suggestions above, we could be looking at the most realistic family unit ever. Not to mention the funnest baby and toddler sims to play.

Here's to the future! ;)
  • Options
    MuggyQuasarMuggyQuasar Posts: 169 Member
    Toddlers are simultaneously the most frustrating but most fun thing about this game for me. I love trying to get their skills maxed before they age up, and they're so cute. I never use the high chairs though, they're far too buggy. I just make loads of food and store it in the fridge and drag it into the toddlers' playroom when they get hungry. They grab a serving and I drag the plate back to the fridge. Not very immersive but way less annoying than playing musical high chairs.
    lgYUYx0.jpg
  • Options
    jeswainston65jeswainston65 Posts: 530 Member
    My Sim had triplets first try at pregnancy ... no wonder she was puking for the whole time. And I hired a nanny, plus the dad and mom are on different work schedules. They also keep taking off parental leave but seriously ... trying to get these kids up to levels 3 or 5 so I can then age the up is harder work than raising an actual child lol. No more trying for a baby for those SIMS! And all the kids are redheads! Honestly.
    I am only limited by my imagination.

I. AM. A. UNICORN!
  • Options
    SassycottonSassycotton Posts: 438 Member
    The toddlers are adorable but they are also pain in the butts too. My sims are having their first baby and I hope to God it works out!!!!!!
  • Options
    Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    A year later and this has become my problem.

This is so frustrating! I literally had a toddler taken away because the parents just COULD NOT figure out how to coordinate themselves long enough to feed their starving child.

The child was hungry, so he went to mom and asked for help with food. Meanwhile, dad was in the kitchen minding his business.
    Mom brought starving child to the highchair and set him in. Then she just LEFT. I told dad to feed him, since he was nearby. But then I guess mom suddenly remembered why she put her son in the highchair and glitched her way back to the kitchen to feed him. SO NOW TWO PARENTS ARE TRYING TO FEED THEIR SON BOWLS OF FOOD. Son couldn't even catch a break because mom took him out of the highchair and put him on the floor. I paused the game, cancelled both mom AND dad's interactions, and then took over the son to grab the food off the highchair and 🐸🐸🐸🐸. But NO.
    DAD PICKED HIM UP AND SET HIM BACK IN THE HIGHCHAIR.
    Child got too hungry and he was taken away.
    RAGE QUIT.
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/