Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I Don’t Think The Gurus / Community Manager Realize This

Comments

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    If every pack is not for everyone they have completely failed they should find a way to make every type of player be interested in a pack be it builders family players deviates and so on. There should be some feature that makes everyone say I need this pack, they use to even toss in a supernatural in every pack to cover more play styles now its like be quiet maybe the next pack for you.

Being that they are a business, their #1 goal should be making sure there is something in each pack that appeals to everyone, so I agree with you completely.

This makes me think of music and cds. Every album should have songs on it that are different. Fast paced, slow songs, love songs, hyper club songs, dance songs, etc. Artists do their best to stay true to themselves and the music people have learned to love from them but also to experiment with new sounds so they can bring in a new audience. Their goal is to find that healthy balance where they challenge themselves without ostracizing their fans.

So idk why they take this whole “If it’s not for you just wait for us to get around to you” approach. I think it’s weird and is one of the reasons the community is so divided.
  • Options
    EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    I don't think she's saying don't be disappointed, etc. I think she's suggesting that people curb their anger about it. You can be disappointed and frustrated that what you want isn't out yet, but some people really do take it to absurd extremes and seem to think that Maxis is wrong to make something someone else does want. Nobody's saying they must keep enjoying the product, just asking them to try to recognize that something isn't bad only because it's not the thing you wanted. Not being cars does not make a fame pack a bad pack, just not what someone who would rather have cars first wanted.

I'm just going to quote this.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    If every pack is not for everyone they have completely failed they should find a way to make every type of player be interested in a pack be it builders family players deviates and so on. There should be some feature that makes everyone say I need this pack, they use to even toss in a supernatural in every pack to cover more play styles now its like be quiet maybe the next pack for you.

I'm not sure it's ever going to be possible for all players to want every single pack. We like playing for different reasons and the kind of things we enjoy are inevitably going to be different as well. I don't quite know how you expect EA to cater to the taste of thousands (maybe millions) of players in every single pack.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

I'm not sure it's ever going to be possible for all players to want every single pack. We like playing for different reasons and the kind of things we enjoy are inevitably going to be different as well. I don't quite know how you expect EA to cater to the taste of thousands (maybe millions) of players in every single pack.

Do you think it’s ideal for a company to say “Hey, we know you’ve been waiting for us to release a new product for a while now and we’re finally releasing a product soon. We know some of you will not like it, but just hang in there with us because the product you want us to make MIGHT be coming in the next few months”?
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member

I would think there are some features in every pack that players would enjoy but the question is whether they're willing to fork over $40 for that feature.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

I would think there are some features in every pack that players would enjoy but the question is whether they're willing to fork over $40 for that feature.

Do you think they should go back to selling items individually?

I would be for them doing both - selling items in packs and bundles as they have been and also selling items individually. They could add items as they make them to the store instead of waiting for other features to be finished.
  • Options
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Do you think it’s ideal for a company to say “Hey, we know you’ve been waiting for us to release a new product for a while now and we’re finally releasing a product soon. We know some of you will not like it, but just hang in there with us because the product you want us to make MIGHT be coming in the next few months”?

Of course it's not ideal but it's just not possible to cater to everybody 100% of the time. It's the same with anything, I suppose, TV, music, books. Any publisher, TV network, music producer and so forth cannot possibly produce something to please every single customer at the exact same time. They're people, not robots, they only work so many hours a day.
  • Options
    RustyCicuitRustyCicuit Posts: 49 Member
    edited October 2018

Being that they are a business, their #1 goal should be making sure there is something in each pack that appeals to everyone, so I agree with you completely.

This makes me think of music and cds. Every album should have songs on it that are different. Fast paced, slow songs, love songs, hyper club songs, dance songs, etc. Artists do their best to stay true to themselves and the music people have learned to love from them but also to experiment with new sounds so they can bring in a new audience. Their goal is to find that healthy balance where they challenge themselves without ostracizing their fans.

So idk why they take this whole “If it’s not for you just wait for us to get around to you” approach. I think it’s weird and is one of the reasons the community is so divided.

From a design point of view this kind of pack will not have a clear theme, will not have features that would work well together and all in all will look like they sat in office and were throwing darts at a spinning wheel and just slapping in kontent as it went. But most importantly, it is virtually impossible to cater to everyone. It is just physically impossible. So easiest way to approach content is to set out clear goals, not only is it easier for a team of people to work on, but it gives a very clear idea to the consumer what the pack is about and whether or not they would want it in their game. Comparing games to music is inaccurate, games are far more individualised and specific, it is hard to develop a game without a set goal/theme/genre.
    Post edited by RustyCicuit on
  • Options

Yeah. That's just it. Each player has to want enough of the pack's content to feel like they are getting their money's worth if they buy it. Sometimes I like an outfit or a hairstyle in a stuff pack but I think they are overpriced for what you get so I choose to keep my money. Or, I've heard good things about the world in Cats and Dogs but I know I probably won't use the pets all that much now they are uncontrollable, so it's not worth spending out just for the world.
  • Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    I did sort of side-eye that comment by the CM, it's not as if Sims 4 is free. It sounds pretty corrupt when any product allows only good reviews, or puts a cap on the 'negativity' of a review, what??

Also, it's pretty obvious that when you post your opinion on a forum, people are going to want to discuss it &/or disagree with you. If you just wanted to leave a good review and that being it, there are other places to do that.

I've seen things get nasty & personal before, but that comes from both sides. So I really don't see why they're singling out people with bad experiences, apart from it being convenient for them.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

Yeah. That's just it. Each player has to want enough of the pack's content to feel like they are getting their money's worth if they buy it. Sometimes I like an outfit or a hairstyle in a stuff pack but I think they are overpriced for what you get so I choose to keep my money. Or, I've heard good things about the world in Cats and Dogs but I know I probably won't use the pets all that much now they are uncontrollable, so it's not worth spending out just for the world.

So then you only played Sims 3pets then? As only Sims 3 had controllable pets. No other Sims game ever has. Sims 1, 2 and 4 have uncontrollable pets.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

So then you only played Sims 3pets then? As only Sims 3 had controllable pets. No other Sims game ever has. Sims 1, 2 and 4 have uncontrollable pets.

I played all 3 Pets EPs but Sims 3's version was my favourite by far. Making the pets uncontrollable again just feels like a major step back to me. I especially liked riding the horses around the world in 3 and I found cats and dogs much easier to manage when I could control them but I just don't feel like I need to go down the pets route again. I have cats in real life anyway. :) Besides, if I want to ride a horse in a game, I have a whole bunch of RPGs that will let me do that.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

From a design point of view this kind of pack will not have a clear theme, will not have features that would work well together and all in all will look like they sat in office and were throwing darts at a spinning wheel and just slapping in kontent as it went. But most importantly, it is virtually impossible to cater to everyone. It is just physically impossible. So easiest way to approach content is to set out clear goals, not only is it easier for a team of people to work on, but it gives a very clear idea to the consumer what the pack is about and whether or not they would want it in their game. Comparing games to music is inaccurate, games are far more individualised and specific, it is hard to develop a game without a set goal/theme/genre.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean? The theme of the pack is rising to fame. You'll have the new acting career in addition to other roads to fame.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I think it has more to do with tone. There have been players who come into threads about occult Sims to say not just that they don’t want supernaturals but the devs shouldn’t even make those packs. Or people who make assumptions about a pack’s content/features based on a one-minute trailer. Nothing wrong with a pack not being your cup of tea starting out and saying you’ll pass, or wait for reviews/a sale. This wouldn’t have been my first choice for a theme; I want an education pack that improves that feature on all levels. But I can see where it will add impact to my game and truly expand the game.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    RustyCicuitRustyCicuit Posts: 49 Member
    edited October 2018
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean? The theme of the pack rising to fame. You'll have the new acting career in addition to other roads to fame.

I was replying to "Being that they are a business, their #1 goal should be making sure there is something in each pack that appeals to everyone" part and pointing out, that it virtually impossible to cater to everyone. I personally prefer themed packs, even if they are niche specific. Because if i will be interested in said pack I will use about 80% of the offered features. As opposed to wanting, let's say 15% of content in the expansion that tries to be Jack of all trades, master of none.
  • Options

I would be for them doing both - selling items in packs and bundles as they have been and also selling items individually. They could add items as they make them to the store instead of waiting for other features to be finished.

Something like that might work. We have some simmers who are more into building than gameplay so they'd probably appreciate being able to only purchase build/buy items. And others who mainly focus on CAS might just want to buy those items.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    The game is definitely progressing slowly compared to the predecessors that can’t be denied. What I will say is the previous games offered more variety for everyone. Sims 2 Nightlife for example had a new world that you could build in, lots of new game play for people that enjoyed playing families and gameplay for those that enjoyed playing adult sims and vampires for those that like super naturals. There are plenty more examples like that across the sims 2 and 3.

The sims 4 tends to be heavily themed towards one thing or themed towards one type of player. For example in the past year there have been people here complaining there is too much emphasis on family play with packs like kid stuff, toddler stuff, parenthood etc, and while the arguement can be made that the game focused too much on the young adult, party lifestyle before that I do kind of think there could be more of a balance. Seasons was quite a well balanced pack as it had a good variety for all age groups. Jungle adventure for example is not a good example of a pack with something for everyone as family players don’t get much out of it. Supernatural fans are being left in the cold as are builders. And even deviant players don’t get a lot of love these days.

I don’t doubt the balance Is difficult but in the past it has been done a lot better.

I don’t consider myself one single type of player, I like family play, I like playing single sims and them having adventures, I like building. But I can totally understand why people get frustrated when a pack is announced they don’t care for because the release schedule has no rhyme or reason. We don’t have a road map. All we can do is speculate when our next pack is coming. I admit I don’t get too upset if a pack is released that not to my liking, I go and play other games.

That said I think the Gurus are referring to people that get upset about something not being to their Liking and go on the attack, it’s fine to say something doesn’t look to your liking but it’s a totally different thing to say the devs are lazy and be abusive to them. Frustration is one thing and it’s understandable but its how you communicate that.
  • Options
    N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited October 2018

Something like that might work. We have some simmers who are more into building than gameplay so they'd probably appreciate being able to only purchase build/buy items. And others who mainly focus on CAS might just want to buy those items.

Sigh, people complained about that too calling it a money grab. I think enough that they chose not to go that route with TS4 :| personally I liked it.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2018
    I think the others might have had more stuff like Sims 2 had variety of items, but shallow at the same time (not much color choices - I didn't like the drawn on look of clothes either); while Sims 3 had- activities and places to go (lots of realistic views), any colors you wanted were yours - but play was even more shallow (but I do love the open world) - while Sims 4 to me has more quality items/content, and more depth to the over all play.

I know everyone won't agree but that is what I feel and I do play all 3 of this games pretty often - and that is what I notice comparatively between playing each of these versions of the Sims .

But all in all - I still completely enjoy playing any one of the three every time I play just about. So I cannot complain. It's always worth the time spent to me.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    Well I don't think anyone needs to be justified there is no rule that you can't dislike something, however this is just a game and it's part of gaming no matter the rating or genre or whatever target audience they have it's always the same. Sometimes you have to wait for them to get as close to bug free as the devs can get. Then you have to wait for bugs that they have a hard time recreating that come out of the community so those can hopefully be found. At the same time you have to wait for new stuff that appeals to you as an individual, that doesn't always happen and that is why there isn't just one video game per genre you'll find something you like about one that you hate in another, or something will never appeal to you. It's a part of gaming.

Short version most people don't like waiting for games or anything to do with them but it's part of it, and you'll get over it.

Yes, lots of people don't want to hear that but it's true, it's a minor thing with video games and one day it won't bother you at all, still while it does bother you it's not changing anything. What really matters is how you point out your dislike.

A good example, don't attack someone, call names, or complain in every positive thread you find because someone thinks differently than you people can be entertained by different things. Now when some people don't like something again they don't need a 'it's okay' that's common sense just be angry and get it off your chest one day you won't have the energy for it anyhow.

It's never 'you said something negative that's a problem' it's always you get hostile because someone said something positive and didn't want to hear it.

That's not the way to be and even though forums or otherwise we don't all get along sometimes you have to just be the one that sucks it up and steps back to look at what has been said. Did you really share a fine point or could you have picked a more tactful way to work in your point?

I mean really I don't like everything in sims 4 eventually I got tired of sims 3 and it became trash to me and I certainly don't like everything in sims 2 but I don't see the point in getting worked up every time I see someone who would like something different (or in a different fashion). That isn't just a part of gaming it's a part of life people are different they like different things and when everyone has to do the same thing, like wait on new content, it's one of those things you just have to get over. Still voice all your opinions you are completely allowed to just don't jump on devs you're waiting for and knock what they do when it suits you can call it 'constructive criticism'. Thinking of things you'd like to replace and saying so and pointing out the negatives of what you don't like is constructive but that isn't the problem really.

That's all I can say on that, other than the obvious I'm not attacking anyone but I've been on the forums a long time and I have seen enough normal 'negative' comments to know when someone is just speaking their mind. The enough where some are just going on the attack because they feel entitled to whatever they want and they want it now.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member

When I say pack I mean expansion pack and as I said they should cater to PLAY STYLES in every expansion it really amazes me how they have completely ignored certain types of players for years upon years just look how long it took to get terrain tools for builders still not in game. Players like me looking for realism and simple basics being added in expansions its just not happening though if you're a furry they got you covered in expansion after expansion game packs and stuff packs.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member

Actually you could control Sims 2 pets but you had to use a cheat. I prefer not to control them personally, but it was nice to have the option. Especially for storytelling. I don't know if Sims 4 has a cheat though (?).
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    Goodywood wrote: »

Actually you could control Sims 2 pets but you had to use a cheat. I prefer not to control them personally, but it was nice to have the option. Especially for storytelling. I don't know if Sims 4 has a cheat though (?).

There’s a mod out there to control pets in TS4.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I just want to say how nice it is to see so many people in this thread posting so many healthy and reasonable perspectives on this topic, it really is nice and reassuring to see - because we just don't see enough of it anywhere, it seems like some days.

Like a lot of folks here have expressed in a number of very well-explained ways, there's nothing wrong with having an opinion, but how you handle yourself matters. What the gurus are addressing is those people who are the internet version of that kid who runs around kicking all of the other kids on the playground because they didn't get what they wanted for their birthday. And many of those people will then try to pass off that behavior as 'feedback', which just adds insult to injury. It's literally victimizing the person twice, while at the same time reserving the right to do it again whenever they choose.

It's a whole different level of malcontent and malice and dysfunctional behavior, and there's way too much of it going on in this community. It's needed to be addressed for a long time. And it's really sad that basic civility and basic everyday rules of conduct is something that actually has to be explained to people. It shouldn't be that hard.

Being one of the 'sheep' who paid for MFP and liked it, I couldn't agree more. There is a difference between not wanting a pack or being frustrated with bugs and attacking the developers or questioning the maturity and intelligence of people who buy and enjoy the pack.

Personally, I'm as disappointed as the OP - there have been long droughts without content this year, and no hints as to what was coming. We're looking at 2019 for new content, and probably no sooner than February. That's a long wait from Seasons' drop in June. (Frankly, I just want more hair for my toddlers. I don't care what else might be in the pack. And I'm bitter that I'm going to be stuck with the hair we've got for at least another half-year.)

we don't know it will be that long of a wait we should get gp soon I think
    more for sim kids and more drama please
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top