Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

As an Expansion Pack, does "Get Famous" look overpriced?

Get Famous is being released as an Expansion Pack, and will cost $39.99.

Based ENTIRELY on what you see in official information, does Sims 4: Get Famous look overpriced to you? This question does not depend on whether you'll get it, or whether you think it'll enhance your style of play, or even needing more information. It's pure opinion of what you think at the time of clicking the poll button.
Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.

As an Expansion Pack, does "Get Famous" look overpriced? 276 votes

Yes, Get Famous currently looks overpriced
52%
Freckles1971Nh6650rudy8292Derellajulienrob2004Kita5399Icewolflauriej0823alexspoom13aelias24Goodywoodimhappyauntmichelle9Writin_RegfadingaudioMikeytelanorbretonCynnaAnmirlaMariefoxprice83 145 votes
No, Get Famous does not look overpriced
47%
Akl500PCK213KidVicious359OneAdorkableGirlcatmom1987Kamb64GalacticGalalan650111IceyJkippy300davidp0418BlkBarbiegalJazzpuzSabrosaKathy090660Colorist40PlayerSinger2010danacnbrettVibseKelleygirl 131 votes

Comments

• Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    People who voted "No", may you iterate? Currently, what's diffrentiating it from a normal game pack is a normal-sized world which doesn't justify the extra $20 slapped on the product. I am getting it either-way since sales are often 2 weeks after launch :P but can't justify spending $40.

Movie sets and a reputation system aren't that impressive. More complex systems have been introduced in game packs such as Parenthood & Dine Out.

The heavy amounts of new animations and voice acting justify the price.

If the acting career was a CL type career, then it would be a game pack.

Animation is super expensive and it looks like they didn’t hold back at all with this.
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    People who voted "No", may you iterate? Currently, what's diffrentiating it from a normal game pack is a normal-sized world which doesn't justify the extra $20 slapped on the product. I am getting it either-way since sales are often 2 weeks after launch :P but can't justify spending $40.

Movie sets and a reputation system aren't that impressive. More complex systems have been introduced in game packs such as Parenthood & Dine Out.

The heavy amounts of new animations and voice acting justify the price.

If the acting career was a CL type career, then it would be a game pack.

Animation is super expensive and it looks like they didn’t hold back at all with this.

Forgot about the voice acting! That is a valid point. I just hope there is more to the pack :3

Don't find the animations a justification since game packs had a lot of animations too (Vampires).
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited October 2018
    It's not like the devs need to add new coding to make a new world. Sure, it looks big, but so does San Myshuno.

And I personally can see quite a bit of recycled content in the trailer. The soap commercial set for example is entirely recycled content.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    edited October 2018
    Loanet wrote: »
    It's not like the devs need to add new coding to make a new world. Sure, it looks big, but so does San Myshuno.

And I personally can see quite a bit of recycled content in the trailer. The soap commercial set for example is entirely recycled content.

Not new coding, but that's far from all that goes into creating a new world.

EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    What's the purpose here?
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    orkhid22 wrote: »
    What's the purpose here?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    What's the purpose here?

A discussion?

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    We only got a teaser of what the game is going to hold. I think it's too early to scream how this should have been a game pack.
  • Options
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    What's the purpose here?

A discussion?

About what? The price of an expansion pack has been set since the beginning of the iteration. We've seen 1 1-minute video. What discussion is there yet to be had that's genuine? This more seems to be, I'm not feeling this therefore I question the cost? Honestly, I'm truly baffled about the discussion or lack thereof
  • Options
    The purpose? Well if you must know, it's nice to have a post that tells the Gurus whether we're okay with their price/content ratio and the level of information we're getting.

While new animations aren't easy, devs do recycle and repurpose them where possible and there are a LOT to choose from. Cats and Dogs was so hard because every pet needed every animation to be brand new.

It's actively new coding that I look for in the actual value of a pack. For example, in Get To Work its value was in Active Careers and making your own shop. However the devs now know how to make active careers, so any new active careers created involve recycled code. Resturaunts and running your own vet clinic are based heavily on Get To Work code. I'm not sure how much of the Fame code will be recycled from Vampire perks.
  • Options
    Cupid wrote: »
    The purpose? Well if you must know, it's nice to have a post that tells the Gurus whether we're okay with their price/content ratio and the level of information we're getting.
    Yeah, but typically it's better to do that after you actually know what you're getting

Well, that's why this poll is about your opinion right now.
  • Options

While new animations aren't easy, devs do recycle and repurpose them where possible and there are a LOT to choose from. Cats and Dogs was so hard because every pet needed every animation to be brand new.

It's actively new coding that I look for in the actual value of a pack. For example, in Get To Work its value was in Active Careers and making your own shop. However the devs now know how to make active careers, so any new active careers created involve recycled code. Resturaunts and running your own vet clinic are based heavily on Get To Work code. I'm not sure how much of the Fame code will be recycled from Vampire perks.

I'm unaware of the Gurus setting price points. In my humble opinion, this doesn't appear to be out of genuine inquiry. But a way to minimize work someone has done that you believe isn't worthy and disguise it as a friendly discussion. We already know it's not cause the Gurus don't set the price of packs. These are men and women going to work everyday doing their job within the confines they are given.
  • Options
    Not liking a pack =/= not worth the asking price of said pack, which is so far the only 'justification' for the given yes answers of this poll.

-We don't have enough information yet to say it isn't worth the full price. We haven't even seen gameplay, let alone in-depth livestreams, reviews, or guides about it. So how are we determining 'worth' again? Oh, right. Preference.

-We know the fame system extends not only to the active career within the pack, but every other career in the game. That means it's as expansive as the club system from Get Together, a *gasp* EP. The world's probably the same size as any other EP too, for that matter.

-Movie sets and a rep/fame system IS impressive. You just aren't interested/liking them. Again, that's a preference, not a judgement of actual worth. We've already seen more CAS assets in the trailer alone than what comes in GPs. Probably more build/buy too but I haven't counted them. And obviously there's more than we've seen in the limited trailer anyways.

With the limited info we have now, there's more reason to objectively believe this EP is on par as any other than to believe it's not. Subjectivity isn't a measure of the price tag. At best, it's merely what you're willing to pay for it yourself.

How? I literally justified my opinion without commenting on stuff that are subjective.

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    What's the purpose here?

A discussion?

About what? The price of an expansion pack has been set since the beginning of the iteration. We've seen 1 1-minute video. What discussion is there yet to be had that's genuine? This more seems to be, I'm not feeling this therefore I question the cost? Honestly, I'm truly baffled about the discussion or lack thereof

Lmao. No one said this expansion pack should be a lower price. We are saying it shouldn't be an expansion pack in the first place. Kate already announced the important dates regarding the pack and the highlights seem to be the reputation system and the new world.
    Post edited by Wulfsimmer on

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    What's the purpose here?

A discussion?

Lmao. No one said this expansion pack should be a lower price. We are saying it shouldn't be an expansion pack in the first place. Kate already announced the important dates rrgarding the pack and the highlights seem to be the repuation system and the new world.

I interpret "worth the price" as indicative of it should be less, because if you think it's GP worthy than EP worthy, then is the price not lower?
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I think EPs in general are a bit overpriced.

I think also it's the new world that makes this an EP; without it this would probably be a GP.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    People who voted "No", may you iterate? Currently, what's diffirentiating it from a normal game pack is a normal-sized world which doesn't justify the extra $20 slapped on the product. I am getting it either-way since sales are often 2 weeks after launch :P but can't justify spending $40.

Exactly how do you know it's not as impressive? Dine Out's system is limited to only restaurants. The fame system expands out to every career in the game. And that's literally all we know about it so far, unless you have more details the rest of us don't?

Didn't think so.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    Yes this looks overpriced. This could have been a GP but that's just my opinion because I was waiting for another EP to be announced. Not this one.
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    I can't answer this question without more information. We've only seen one trailer so I don't think it's enough to go on.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

I'm unaware of the Gurus setting price points. In my humble opinion, this doesn't appear to be out of genuine inquiry. But a way to minimize work someone has done that you believe isn't worthy and disguise it as a friendly discussion. We already know it's not cause the Gurus don't set the price of packs. These are men and women going to work everyday doing their job within the confines they are given.

You pick up on one misplaced word - 'their' - and start talking as if I seriously believe the Gurus set prices, or I'm attacking Gurus in general. Somebody asked why this poll was set up. I answered. The answer is, it's nice to know if people are happy with the price point and to let other people know whether people are happy. So, I'm afraid that 'your humble opinion', is wrong. It is genuine inquiry. Sorry 'bout that.

EA sets the prices. But EA doesn't read this board. Gurus do. I'm sure at least they like to know if people are happy or not.

All I ask for is a yes/no opinion to a yes/no question. If you don't feel like you can judge, don't. I personally think having 'maybe' as an option on polls is a bad idea, which is why there is no such option.
  • Options
    phantom121294phantom121294 Posts: 151 Member
    People who voted "No", may you iterate? Currently, what's diffirentiating it from a normal game pack is a normal-sized world which doesn't justify the extra $20 slapped on the product. I am getting it either-way since sales are often 2 weeks after launch :P but can't justify spending $40.

Unimpressive to you maybe. Movie sets haven't been done since superstar. Already in the trailer we have multiple sets we see actors on, and by the descriptions we know there are different levels of work. Commercials and movies are confirmed I have no idea about TV shows. Also there is line rehearsing, makeup and wardrobe we see in the trailer as well. Reputation and the fame system we haven't even seen yet so....

These all seem very complex, I'm not sure yet how it will compare with parenthood, but dine out was completely shallow feature wise. This is coming from someone who uses dine out more than frequently. I currently have 6 restaurants spread across my current save. I love dine out...but its definitely shallow feature wise.

Why I voted no: I've stated this in a few threads I'm probably repeating myself at this point. I've waited 15 long years for this. Active movie career, plus a brand new urban (which is also appears to be a desert) world is already a 10/10 in my book. 90% of the worlds we currently have are rural in theme. Fame and rep are things that are nice touches too.

Specs: i9-9900k, SLI 2080ti MSI SeaHawk EK X, 32g 3000hz Corsair RAM, 2TB M.2 Samsung SSD, EVGA 1600W. Custom loop done by myself with dual 560mm radiators.
    JOVa2Sn.jpg