Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Terrain Tools!!!

1235...Next

Comments

• Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I'm still going to build tiny homes, but I'll now need to use 20x30 lots to take full advantage of this. It's going to be fun once we get it!
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    If they are as hard to use as TS3 - nothing
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Goodywood wrote: »
    I mean, can we make a Split-Level house guys? I would have to see the walls connect and the floors staying the same level as there were.

A house like this (photo borrowed from MTS's QBUILDERZ):

MTS_QBUILDERZ-1216192-CFE.jpg

I did not see in the video that they connected the walls. Multilevel foundations may not be possible still, at least not attached to each other.

I'm a builder in the Sims and I'm going to tell you what I see and think is possible. This is just my opinion based on seeing the same things everyone else has seen and not having it to explore yet. This may change after the patch, so, here goes.

In the picture above, you can build the GARAGE level with the BEDROOM level above it and you can build the ENTRY level raised up with Terrain Tools, but, IMO, you can not connect them. Here's why. If you rewatch the video, you'll see that there is a one tile slope all around any raised ground level. This will prevent you from placing the ENTRY level up against the GARAGE/BEDROOM levels. At best, there will be a one tile gap between the two.

Also, if you build the ENTRY level on a foundation instead (keep in mind that we have no idea that both parts won't be on a foundation, if you try to add it to one, it might add it to the other also) to raise it up to midway of the GARAGE level, the game program probably won't allow two walls at different heights to occupy the same location (both walls can not be placed in the same spot because they are at different levels).

I hope I made this clear and, again, this is just my builders opinion without any play testing yet. I might be able to figure out a work around, but only time will tell. However, I could be wrong. I won't know until we get the patch and I can "play" with it.
  • Options
    greenXengreenXen Posts: 1,227 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I mean, can we make a Split-Level house guys? I would have to see the walls connect and the floors staying the same level as there were.

I did not see in the video that they connected the walls. Multilevel foundations may not be possible still, at least not attached to each other.

I'm a builder in the Sims and I'm going to tell you what I see and think is possible. This is just my opinion based on seeing the same things everyone else has seen and not having it to explore yet. This may change after the patch, so, here goes.

In the picture above, you can build the GARAGE level with the BEDROOM level above it and you can build the ENTRY level raised up with Terrain Tools, but, IMO, you can not connect them. Here's why. If you rewatch the video, you'll see that there is a one tile slope all around any raised ground level. This will prevent you from placing the ENTRY level up against the GARAGE/BEDROOM levels. At best, there will be a one tile gap between the two.

Also, if you build the ENTRY level on a foundation instead (keep in mind that we have no idea that both parts won't be on a foundation, if you try to add it to one, it might add it to the other also) to raise it up to midway of the GARAGE level, the game program probably won't allow two walls at different heights to occupy the same location (both walls can not be placed in the same spot because they are at different levels).

I hope I made this clear and, again, this is just my builders opinion without any play testing yet. I might be able to figure out a work around, but only time will tell. However, I could be wrong. I won't know until we get the patch and I can "play" with it.

I understand what you're saying and I agree since that was my impression as well. I am hoping that since it's just a tease, it's possible that there is more to come than we've been shown. I do wonder if it is possible to connect two buildings with different foundation heights via stairs?
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    greenXen wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

I understand what you're saying and I agree since that was my impression as well. I am hoping that since it's just a tease, it's possible that there is more to come than we've been shown. I do wonder if it is possible to connect two buildings with different foundation heights via stairs?

That might be possible, but the stairs would not be enclosed above that one sloping area. It would be like an open bridge with steps.
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    I wonder if the terrain tools include ponds. Based on what I saw, it doesn't seem to be an option. I miss having ponds in my home, but the terrain tools are nice either way

I'm hoping that's what they're working on, why this will be later than they originally planned.

I'd love that, but IDK. :\ It seems like too little time to do ponds if they haven't already started

I was figuring they WERE nearly finished with it but hadn't gotten it to a point where they wanted to reveal it. Or, maybe, they want to surprise us with it and purposely didn't add it in yesterday.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited October 2018
    I'm waiting for pond tools and the ability to connect two separate tiers of levels "split-leveling" - both interior and exterior before I go yippee, yeehah, wheeeee.

~(ex-BCREA realtor)---->CB-businesscard_blurredforforum.jpg - blurred to stay within forum rules; don't worry, the numbers don't work any more. :mrgreen: Just in case you were wondering why I had "Agent 9.15" after Sales Associate... well... Section 9.15 of the Real Estate Act of British Columbia allows those who were licensed as agents to act as salespeople since well, there really can't be more than two to three people in management at an office, but there is no restriction to how many people can take the Real Estate Agent's exam (there's two levels of real estate licensing - salespeople and agents. Agents are the ones that aspire to managing an real estate office - thus higher educational requirements). Unfortunately, it's not a 007. :D:p:mrgreen:

"I'm OLD; Cranky and want VALUE for the $$$ I spend"

I also want the ability to be able to create attached dwellings (realtor-speak for TOWNHOMES!) and the capacity to be able to wall them off for different families... (make your dwelling able to support both NPCs and the controlled family. Or is that a little too difficult to program in yet. I'm still waiting for an honest to goodness strata unit complex...that isn't just computer generated sims going in and disappearing. Yeah, this ex-Coldwell Banker realtor is a pesky Stinkin' Son of a Gun (my excuse is I have a fascination with houses that goes all the way back to the 1990s - I sold half-million dollar homes to local buyers way back in 95 during the initial years of the foreign investment boom while my co-workers were tagging and bagging the RAF foreign investors and seeing the way that the market's now pricing people out of house and home...well...I get to do the same to my Sims. ~evil grin~). >:)

My viewpoint: Terrain tools are a START. Keep GOING! How about an honest to goodness TS4 CAW to enable users to create worlds of their own and have the Terrain tools extend to being able to be used all over the world not just on lots. Being able to adjust terrain height or depth is just the tip of the iceberg.
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    I did not really miss a terrain tool. TS4 is kind of flat, and I grew used to it. I don't see adding new terrain levels to many of my lots, maybe on the larger ones, or on park lots of a certain size. In TS3 I normally used this tool, but then I created the world myself and the entire landscape was not flat. Some lots were even set in a hill side. That said, I'll definitely use it for some gardens.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Okto84Okto84 Posts: 198 Member
    I never thought we'd see terrain tools in TS4, so this is cool! Currently, I'm not sure on the technical stuff though, like if and how different level walls and rooms can connect. I like the idea of being able to arrange floors any height we want and connect them, but that may not be a thing.

Still, I'm pretty confident we can make things like sunken gardens and houses on hills, so there's possibilities. I'm also tempted from the livestream to think we can dig down a bit around basements and have some functional basement windows.
  • Options
    mrnhmathmrnhmath Posts: 750 Member
    Yeah hmm... I hope there are ponds too.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited October 2018
    If they are as hard to use as TS3 - nothing

Well, they were never hard to use to me. It's just that people go overboard with the stencils when they don't know how to use them and lose control.

They were very easy for me in TS3 once I started to be more subtle and used the flat square tool. The only hard thing sometimes was putting the stairs. They would rotate to where you didn't want to.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    MiddletonPlaysMiddletonPlays Posts: 61 Member
    I've always been useless at Terrain Tools! Not just in Sims either.

I can't wait to see people's creations with it!
  • Options
    SimzStarzSimzStarz Posts: 70 Member
    When doe this update come out?
  • Options
    GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    The pack drops on the 16th so the patch might be on the 12th or 13th.