Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I dived into mods for the first time. Looking for any recommendations and I have some questions.

60smusicluvr60smusicluvr Posts: 1,982 Member
I always wanted to avoid mods, but this post from April 6 has changed my mind, months after first viewing it. I adore TS3 store content, got into steampunk and was thrilled to have a world dedicated to that sort of theme, but I couldn't really see it, so I only played in the world for a few brief times. :heartbreak:

Yesterday, changed everything. I viewed two videos that showed me how to Install, Remove, & Organize CC and info about .zip, .rar, .sim, and converting files.

Now, armed with the knowledge about it, I could finally download the one thing I just had to have, the one thing that came with one of the games but never came with the game . . . :|

:star: HINT! :star: It's the unlocked showtime items! Woooo! I don't have to use an exchange lot with the items on it and go through the hiccup of having my sims steal them in order to build stuff anymore! Yeehaw! o:)

But I also downloaded the recommended mods to brighten up Midnight Hollow. <3 The terrain paint mod and plant mod do wonders on that world. I think rflong7's Dream Dimension looks stellar. It's got so many beautiful colors in it and I actually prefer that one over her 'Midnight Dream' one, as I think the sky is a little too bright for that particular world. That said, the reds are gorgeous.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm still not looking to go overboard with anything. I don't want any actual CC like skin, makeup, hair, furniture, etc., etc. I'm only about gameplay mods. I prefer a clean game, since I like to upload to the exchange.

There is one mod in particular I'm looking for, since I like to build a lot. I've downloaded some beautiful lots that make use of this mod. I think it allows objects to be placed at any elevation. For example, you could place the toy bears, which would normally be locked to the ground, on a shelf. Or put the decorative pillows from the Generations stuff pack on the bed or windowsill. I just don't know what it's called(?????????????).

There's also another mod out there that keeps the Baker's Bazaar Collection from TS3 store full, so players don't have to restock it all the time(?).
I found it! NRaas Cupcake Mod

I know the most recommended mods are overwatch and story progression. I'm leaning towards getting overwatch, since it's supposed to clean up your game and I bet mine could use some cleaning up. :D I run all but one expansion pack on a simple laptop that goes barely above the games recs, but it's worked all these years. :*knocks on wood. Story progression I'm a little iffy about, mostly because it seems to change the game dramatically and wouldn't it take up more space, therefore removing the use of overwatch on such a potato laptop? You'll have to convince me on that one . . .

I looked at a few of these and I'm very intrigued.

What do you recommend?
Post edited by 60smusicluvr on

Comments

• Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited August 2018
    I use both story progression and overwatch on my laptop. Overwatch cleans up the stuck cars and turns off radios and tvs and such that could bloat your game.

Story progression does have lots of features, such as you can give the kids the summer off from school, set curfew days.etc.I love it, but certainly don't install it if you don't think your laptop can take it.=)

I would recommend the following:

Shimrod's townies out on the town- It pushes more townies, NPCS and service sims to visit the community lots.I can't play my game without it, one of my favorites: http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php?/topic/2780-townies-out-on-the-town/ You have to register for an account though I think.

And then

Bluejitsu's More Autonmous Romance- This one I chose "up to proposal of marriage" which makes it so inactives from other households "can" propose to you, or ask you to go steady etc.First time it worked it really caught me off guard, went to send my sims to go eat at diner as soon as he got there, he proposed to her on his own.

http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php?/topic/562-more-romantic-autonomy-for-your-sims-requires-certain-eps-for-some-interactionsobjects-update-6-9-15/
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I know this isn't the be-all and end-all list of TS3 mods, it's really only the beginning. But for some reason or another I'm kind of partial to these over here. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've been using the NRaas Mods and tons from Simlogical,MTS,Simsasylum as well as awesomemod to fix school overcrowding.I've got almost the entire NRaas Mod collection installed and have over 700 Mod files installed in my game.My game is a lot less laggy than it ever was without Mods and I used to get the Error 12's a lot from having EA's bugfest turned on.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    edited August 2018
    I'd say just get Overwatch for now and let it do its thing for a little while and see how you feel. You won't even notice it is there until you start seeing why it's there. Messages about stuck sims and cars deleted and suddenly you realize that's what's been slowing down your game forever and why didn't I do this sooner? :D

Story Progression is big but beautiful at the same time, it is just so helpful at keeping your town alive. But if you're not sure about it, take your time. There's no deadline, right?

Edit:
    Oh and btw, I only ever figured out how to install mods by watching YouTube videos too. Once I could see it done I was able to do it. B)
    giphy.gif

• Options
    budewarminbudewarmin Posts: 371 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    I know this isn't the be-all and end-all list of TS3 mods, it's really only the beginning. But for some reason or another I'm kind of partial to these over here. ;)

But did you hear they are closing, bet nobody told you :p:p
  • Options
    budewarmin wrote: »

c2h84nvnj5x2kfv6g.jpg

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    The mod for placing objects at various heights is OMSP (One More Slot Please) at MTS. There's also a Tipsy OMSP add-on and the OMSP Resizer if you're interested in having either of those functions for more decorating options in your builds.
  • Options

Shimrod's townies out on the town- It pushes more townies, NPCS and service sims to visit the community lots.I can't play my game without it, one of my favorites: http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php?/topic/2780-townies-out-on-the-town/ You have to register for an account though I think.

Oh, that would definitely be helpful! Thank you!

Ha! :D:p Thanks for the list. I'll definitely check some of these out . . . Speaking of . . . A YouTube video I watched suggested that Overwatch and ErrorTrap should be installed together, but I was thrown off because that simmer said that ErrorTrap basically does the same thing, so what's beneficial to having them both?
    TadOlson wrote: »
    I've been using the NRaas Mods and tons from Simlogical,MTS,Simsasylum as well as awesomemod to fix school overcrowding.I've got almost the entire NRaas Mod collection installed and have over 700 Mod files installed in my game.My game is a lot less laggy than it ever was without Mods and I used to get the Error 12's a lot from having EA's bugfest turned on.

Hmm. I don't think I've heard of Simlogical or Simasylum before. I'll have to give these a look see.

KATENESS wrote: »
    I'd say just get Overwatch for now and let it do its thing for a little while and see how you feel. You won't even notice it is there until you start seeing why it's there. Messages about stuck sims and cars deleted and suddenly you realize that's what's been slowing down your game forever and why didn't I do this sooner? :D

Story Progression is big but beautiful at the same time, it is just so helpful at keeping your town alive. But if you're not sure about it, take your time. There's no deadline, right?

Edit:
    Oh and btw, I only ever figured out how to install mods by watching YouTube videos too. Once I could see it done I was able to do it. B)

Yeah, I think I'll definitely do overwatch and wait on the story progression. I do have one saved game that I was switching from townie to townie and another where the family will be split, soon, but I have stories to tell with each family member, you know, mostly trying to advance in their careers. I'm afraid if I get it, my sims will autonomously quit their jobs or do things I don't want them to. I'm wondering if there is a way to opt out of story progression with certain sims or families, so I can play them the way I want to. :grey_question:
    budewarmin wrote: »

Hee! I was on the site, beforehand, and almost thought the entire site was closing down. I was thinking for a second what a great thing it was to get into mods in this exact moment, before it goes poof!
    starguru wrote: »
    The mod for placing objects at various heights is OMSP (One More Slot Please) at MTS. There's also a Tipsy OMSP add-on and the OMSP Resizer if you're interested in having either of those functions for more decorating options in your builds.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    The Story Progression mod along with other NRaas mods have adjustable settings. All it takes is a little reading and if you need further help, you can post in the NRaas forums. Most of the mods have a FAQ page along with the Interactions page. The Interactions page listing every setting and of course, the FAQ page listing frequently asked questions.

NRaas: Story Progression FAQ
    NRaas: Story Progression Interactions
    NRaas: Story Progression Rotational Caste Settings suggestions for those who play householdsin a rotation
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    A YouTube video I watched suggested that Overwatch and ErrorTrap should be installed together, but I was thrown off because that simmer said that ErrorTrap basically does the same thing, so what's beneficial to having them both?
    They are both important but very different from each other. Overwatch "watches" for in-game things going wrong against a long pre-defined list of such issues and steps in to fix them as they happen. It also performs cleanups at startup and every night at 3am (or 5am by default for urban worlds on the current version), again against a long pre-defined set of usually unwanted conditions.

ErrorTrap captures ("traps") errors thrown by the game or other mods that can damage the game or cause it to crash otherwise and reports on them by way of script logs that can then be read or sent up to us at NRaas for help in interpreting them. It also removes data from our games that pertain to sims, copies of sims, objects, etc. that are already so far corrupted that they would never be usable anymore or are really data that belongs in a foreign world that somehow got copied into the current one, and it performs general data trash collection at least a few times each game session to keep our save files free from such debris.

The two mods do not conflict and are designed to be used together.

Hmm. I don't think I've heard of Simlogical or Simasylum before. I'll have to give these a look see.
    Simlogical was founded by Peter and Inge Jones, arguably the grandparents of all TS3 modding (and that of the other sims games as well) that followed. They also made the tools so many of us rely on to edit and work with game and package based files. A small number of things there from other developers are now outdated, but much of it is still very useful and valuable.

The Asylum is a very different place but also the home to a lot of very useful mods.

Hee! I was on the site, beforehand, and almost thought the entire site was closing down. I was thinking for a second what a great thing it was to get into mods in this exact moment, before it goes poof!
    Just to clarify for those reading this now in case this is necessary, NRaas is not shutting down but our landlord is. We are moving (see my signature block for details), the new site should be up and running by October. We will be at Wikispaces through our eviction date on Sept. 30. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    KNORearKNORear Posts: 522 Member
    Definitely get
    Errortap and Overwatch. If your computer can handle it Story Progression is pretty fun and useful too . Some other good ones are tempest which allows you to control the weather, Traveler if you enjoy World Adventures ( this also makes any town you have installed a possible vacation destination) and Returner to deal with annoying objects like the Imaginary Friend Dolls.
  • Options
    KNORear wrote: »
    Definitely get
    Errortap and Overwatch. If your computer can handle it Story Progression is pretty fun and useful too . Some other good ones are tempest which allows you to control the weather, Traveler if you enjoy World Adventures ( this also makes any town you have installed a possible vacation destination) and Returner to deal with annoying objects like the Imaginary Friend Dolls.

I installed Overwatch to get started. :)
  • Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    Hehehe... Let's talk again in a few months about not going overboard... B)

Just to mention the mods that made TS3 playable to me - Overwatch and Mastercontroller. All Twallan's mods are fantastic and the guys at Nraas are doing a good job continuing in his footsteps - and beyond!!! :)
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member

And then

Bluejitsu's More Autonmous Romance- This one I chose "up to proposal of marriage" which makes it so inactives from other households "can" propose to you, or ask you to go steady etc.First time it worked it really caught me off guard, went to send my sims to go eat at diner as soon as he got there, he proposed to her on his own.

http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php?/topic/562-more-romantic-autonomy-for-your-sims-requires-certain-eps-for-some-interactionsobjects-update-6-9-15/

I've got a ton of mods already, but never heard of these. They both sound great, thanks for the rec!
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    Overwatch & base storyprogression are what I use the most.

Not sure if it was the game world or something else, but last time I used errortrap I was running into problems, although that could have also been because hubby's poor little pc was Not meant to run games let alone sims. ;)

I can't recall where I found it but I also have a mod that fixes all of the in game fountain animations. The one other mod currently installed is the one to help fix missing stencils, and allows for removing stencils.

I'm getting ready for to leave for work in a bit, so it might be Monday or Tuesday before I can come back with links.

<3 Speaking of here is nraas's new home. <3
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    The "new home" is not ready for usage yet. Our current home is still on Wikispaces and will be through the end of September. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    UnseenHorizonUnseenHorizon Posts: 212 Member
    I recently added GoHere and Dresser to my list of installed NRaas mods.

It's always good to start with a few first and see how that goes and then read up on the mods that they offer and see if they're beneficial or interesting to you. You may find the amount of settings overwhelming but it's all well-documented on the NRaas Wikispaces website.
    "Hosting indoor firework shows since '00"
    Currently trying to pick up The Sims 3 again :)

You can find me lurking around The Sims 3 board, feel free to say hi!
  • Options
    I can't recall where I found it but I also have a mod that fixes all of the in game fountain animations. The one other mod currently installed is the one to help fix missing stencils, and allows for removing stencils.

I'm getting ready for to leave for work in a bit, so it might be Monday or Tuesday before I can come back with links.

Oh, both those sound wonderful. The water fountains was actually something that I was considering.

I downloaded a lot from the exchange from Ciane with MrHawk's found stencils and have saved them. I wonder if there's more not included?
    I recently added GoHere and Dresser to my list of installed NRaas mods.

Hmm. What do they do?