Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How often does your game crash

Comments

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited September 2018
    Once every couple months
    Ok, weird, my game just now crashed.LOL analyzer says max memory reached...That shouldn't be I have plenty of memory on this computer.
    Doesn't matter how much ram your computer has installed. I have 16GB but the game will never use that.

The Sims 3 is a 32 but program limited to 3.7 of ram on the Windows side no matter what. Mac is even worse.

Running other things in the background should be fine if a computers processor is up for it and of course, enough ram to spare beyond the game.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited September 2018
    Once every couple months
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    Ok, weird, my game just now crashed.LOL analyzer says max memory reached...That shouldn't be I have plenty of memory on this computer.
    Doesn't matter how much ram your computer has installed. I have 16GB but the game will never use that.

The Sims 3 is a 32 but program limited to 3.7 of ram on the Windows side no matter what. Mac is even worse.

Running other things in the background should be fine if a computers processor is up for it and of course, enough ram to spare beyond the game.

This is what I have for a processor
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz I wasn't running anything in the background when it crashed.It doesn't crash often due to memory, just occassionally. And its usually if I been gaming for hours on end.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    Hardly ever
    I've only had my most recent game crash happen after Windows crashed and it was almost a year ago when that happened.I've not had any crashes ince then and I'm playing with around 700 or possibly even as high as 800 Mod files and thousands of package files of CC along with the entire collection on the 167 patch.I've been adding tons of new CC and even added some new Mods recently and my game is still fast.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    Once every couple months
    My game gets stuck a lot but does not completely crash too much. Usually if it gets stuck all I have to do is go to build mode and then back to live play again and for some reason that always fixes it. When it doesn't fix it and you can see a sim typing on a computer while in build mode then it's a crash and that only happens a few times a year. A few meaning four.

I have a lot of CC but it's all just objects. No weird posing modes and only one or two script modes. I use the one to make coffee give you energy cause, otherwise, drinking coffee in the game just depletes your bladder and nothing else. I'm overall happy with how sims 4 runs.

Off topic....the new way in which weeds are pulled is so stupid. I hate it!
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2018
    Hardly ever
    @Springfairy556 - If you have sufficient RAM, over 6 GB at least, the key point is how much your game is using as can be seen through Task Manager. Not how much your computer has or has in use. The limit is still ~3.7 GB for everyone on Windows.

@soko37 - That's great, but this thread isn't really about TS4. Are you playing TS3 at all? ;)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    edited September 2018
    Hardly ever
    Hardly ever for me. It has crashed after I completed a big build and I was in camera mode taking picture zooming in and out. It was all saved, so it was OK for me. No loss and I still had pictures.

It will sometimes crash if I go into edit town and enter a lot of different houses to change things around.

It doesn't crash on regular gameplay. No mods or cc. 99 percent of store. All packs except Diesel.
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Hardly ever
    I can't remember my new gaming desktop crashing at all. I've only had it about 2 years. Recently I have been having a weird problem where it takes forever to shut down, if it ever will. I usually run out of patience and use taskmaster to end the program.

I got crashes on my old gaming laptop mainly because it overheated but that was more the system crashing rather than the game. Other than that I got very few crashes but then I follow a lot of the precautions that @Mmdrgntobldrgn and others have mentioned.

On my old Imac Sims 3 crashed more often.
  • Options
    Hardly ever

The other bit is if I'm playing one save and decide I want to switch to another save, or start a completely new game, then I completely exit the game. It's a known, unfixed bug, that switching worlds(one game save for another) at the main menu transfers stray bits of data to the new game.

One person's bug is another ones feature. :) I count on the options that I have selected in most of the mods I run to be transferred over to any new game I start. Before I start a new game I always bring up one where I know that I want those painstakingly selected options to transfer from. NRaas StoryProgression is one mod that will not automatically transfer that data. But is has the option to export your selected options to a file and then to import that file to the new game.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Hardly ever
    cwaddell wrote: »
    One person's bug is another ones feature. :) I count on the options that I have selected in most of the mods I run to be transferred over to any new game I start. Before I start a new game I always bring up one where I know that I want those painstakingly selected options to transfer from. NRaas StoryProgression is one mod that will not automatically transfer that data. But is has the option to export your selected options to a file and then to import that file to the new game.
    Overwatch can be used to export and import all NRaas mod settings or all settings for the mods that the user selects in one step. Well, two steps if you count the export but if the settings required for a new game aren't going to change, then that only has to be done once.

I wouldn't recommend starting a new game after having loaded up an existing one and retreating to the Main Menu without quitting. That's a good way to end up with all of the graveyard ghosts suddenly living in houses where live sims should be due to the overlaying data not getting cleared out of RAM properly; sounds like fun maybe, but can lead to game corruption and other forms of misery. This is indeed an EA bug, the presence of the NRaas Traveler mod is known to make it worse.

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Hardly ever
    @igazor Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    Hardly ever
    My game crashes next to never.
    All expansion packs, all stuff packs except Diesel, a lot of store content. Not much CC - nearly everything I have is from modthesims, some mods from Nraas and modthesims. No gaming pc, just a solid desktop. I clear caches every other gaming session.
    I sometimes get game freezes, but they clear up after a few seconds. My gaming sessions aren´t that long, though, I work at a computer the whole day and I just can´t concentrate on a screen that long (or at all) in the evenings, even if it´s for fun!

A sure way for me to do cause a crash is to drag a werewolf in game into CAS (with cheats or MC), but that´s a known bug (as I found out :p ).
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    Once every couple months
    igazor wrote: »
    @Springfairy556 - If you have sufficient RAM, over 6 GB at least, the key point is how much your game is using as can be seen through Task Manager. Not how much your computer has or has in use. The limit is still ~3.7 GB for everyone on Windows.

@soko37 - That's great, but this thread isn't really about TS4. Are you playing TS3 at all? ;)

Lol. Ok. Sims 3. Yes, I play sims 3. I would vote the same. I have an overpowered gaming tower that runs sims 3 perfectly. I currently have a small amount of CC for sims 3.
  • Options
    ZeiZei Posts: 254 Member
    Maybe once every 5-10 times I load up
    I crash more in some worlds than in others. For example I mostly crash in Los Aniagos, probably because it is so large.
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    Once every couple months
    Zei wrote: »
    I crash more in some worlds than in others. For example I mostly crash in Los Aniagos, probably because it is so large.
    Los Angios gives me quite a few hiccups.Not sure why because other worlds like Everything Island 2 run well.
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited September 2018
    Hardly ever
    Last time my game crashed? I did not apply a patch . :'( I fixed it and now it never crashed anymore.
    I can have duplicates sims3pack/package install of the same files it runs. :D but the graphics suffered since I got no problems I cared of.

Sims 3 is the most stable game I have ever played compared to the sims 2 booo !
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited September 2018
    Hardly ever
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    lowpolygallowpolygal Posts: 422 Member
    Hardly ever
    When I first started playing this game I hardly ever got crashes, I mostly got the game stuck in that way where the trees and plumbobs animations kept going but everything else didn't and I had to shut the game with the task manager (I think it's mostly the same thing as a crash anyways).
    Then I learned all the things you have to do to keep this game running as smoothly as it can (using save as instead of just save, nraas mods all the way, memories disabled, save cleaner, once in a while reset everything with master controller, not too much time spend in cas while you're playing a save, not to do too much changes with edit town while in a save, disable wild pets with register, if you want cc installed better be .packages and merge them and not too much of them either, delete everything from the DCBackup folder except the ccmerged.package file, delete caches often and... well, everything from this amazing guide from nraas basically!) and the whole game stuck thing went away, I did get crashes though, they were mostly because of new cc installed or deleted and I forgot to delete the cache files or I was playing a 6th generation save for a long time without saving or... I deleted an important file from The Sims 3 folder without realizing :lol:
    I should add this all was in my old laptop, that only had 4GB of ram, AMD dual core whoknowswhatelse with 2.1GHz, an ATI HD 4250 128MB and 500GB in hard drive, it came with Windows 7 but upgraded to Windows 10, for the game I had installed like 5 or 6 GB of cc, plus my store content plus all expansion and stuff packs... so, I really was pushing this poor baby way past it's limits, I feel like a vile monster :lol: . The poor thing gave up last year :cry: I actually don't know what exactly happened to her, since the tech dude did who knows what with it, almost like Dr House trying to diagnose someone (it's never lupus!) and ruined it even more :unamused: (as in he actually tried to fix something that wasn't broken and ended up broking it and needed a new replacement piece... for something that was fine since the beginning!).

Now though, I have a new laptop and I'm being very careful with it (or at least I like to think I am :lol: ) my mods folder has 1.5 GB of cc, though it's mostly nraas mods and default replacements... wait, I feel like it should be less than 1.5 GB... :cold_sweat: *checks quickly* ah ok, I have some hairs installed, this ones from Buckley, some age conversions from Simsxlove and a bunch of randoms, I was worried for a moment there :sweat_smile: . Also, I don't install cc I won't be using, I even edit some cas items with s3pe so it's not available for random and I do the whole cc on external drive thing as well :wink: (and I have all EPs and SPs plus my store content)

Anyway, in my old laptop I never went past the 1.67 patch in my Origin install, but now I didn't have any other option than to play with the 1.69 which means no way of skipping the launcher, which means I sometimes get a leftover file that makes my game crash :unamused: (I still haven't figure out what exactly triggers this one but I almost got it covered... I think), so apart from that leftover file that randomly appears sometimes, it never crashes... nor gets stuck :relieved:

Because of all of this... steps you have to take to play TS3, I always told a friend of mine: sims 3 players are actually really hardcore, the things we have to do to play our beloved game!! :scream:
    zDZ4NFB.png
    I have a Simblr
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Once every couple months
    Not for a while luckily :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Hardly ever
    I won’t say my game never crashes—because then it will, lol. It’s been years since I’ve had a crash or even an error code 12 though.

My crashes have been isolated incidents that I’ve been able to find the causes for and learned to solve/avoid. It’s typically been my own fault when something goes wrong, like absentmindedly adding a mod before the related content is installed when I’ve generated a new game folder. I’ve had times where I’d been building for 10+ hours with major CASt use—the game stopped responding and I needed to force close—and I’ve had birthdays for eight household Sims in a row and tried giving all of them consecutive CAS makeovers… oops. :lol: Then there was a brief period some years ago where I was running everything on only 4 GB RAM because I hadn’t yet realized a couple of my DIMM slots had failed. D’oh! And once I was tweaking a very old lot and got the basement/pool/platform CTD that I hadn’t known about before I had that issue myself. I used to tab out a lot as well, but finally broke that habit. So crashing is a rarity for me.

I clear caches after every session, and follow most of the other tips already mentioned in this thread and on the NRAAS site to prevent issues and set up an environment for the best possible game performance.

I never play logged in and don’t use Origin. I’m on a 1.67 all disk install with all EPs, all SP’s (except KPST currently, although I do own it) and all Store content. I bypass the launcher and use it only for store stuff; I convert all CC/library content from Sims3packs to package files. When I have things organized this way, it’s much easier to test and remove items, and I’m not cluttering my current game with things I won’t need/use.

My 3rd party CC varies since I’ve created separate folders for various saves and I keep only the items I want to use in each one. My current folder contains 3.85 GB CC and mods.
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Once every other time I load up
    Controversial vote because I was having a lot of issues this week with maxing out memory usage. :confused:
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    Hardly ever
    It's not as much crashing as just not completely loading sometimes. I'll be going through the searching for items feature and it will be almost loaded and the stars will continuously flash and it will have locked up. I have to go into Task Manager to exit.

My more common issue is that while at some point while the game is loading, my computer starts sounding like it wants to launch into space! :D
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Once every other time I load up
    Anmirla wrote: »
    It's not as much crashing as just not completely loading sometimes. I'll be going through the searching for items feature and it will be almost loaded and the stars will continuously flash and it will have locked up. I have to go into Task Manager to exit.

I've played TS3 on four different computers in my life now (woah) and the stuck loading screens happened always on the less powerful laptops, while gaming desktops see 32-bit TS3 finally having the ample free memory to max out its memory.

Anyways disable the interactive loading screens, the regular ones are faster and less prone to stalling.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Maybe once every 5-10 times I load up
    Wait, really?! Most of you said hardly ever?! I have crashing issues about once a week! I just moved to a new computer though, so maybe it'll be less frequent now.
  • Options
    SillyhartluvSillyhartluv Posts: 73 Member
    Hardly ever
    It only crashes when I accidentally download bad custom content or when Windows upgrades my switchable graphics to only the low version instead of updating both. Since I only upgrade through AMD, it's not a problem anymore
  • Options
    Hardly ever
    To be fair, we're not really looking at a representative sample of respondents here. It would be expected that 80% of us would vote Hardly Ever or Every Couple of Months because those of us answering are casually hanging out on a forum board devoted to a game that has been out of development for coming up on five years now. If it still crashed on us every time we turned around, we probably would have moved on to something else to play by now. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!