Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Google's worldwide interest of the Sims 4 compared to the previous two games

Just look at the graph, will the Sims 4 ever be as popular as TS2 and TS3? Currently the Sims 3 is barely under TS4 in search popularity.
Link to comparison
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=The Sims 3, The Sims 2, The Sims 4&cmpt=q
l7BVfNA.jpg
Official Katy Perry Sim: http://goo.gl/Vxo3Be

Comments

• Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Depends how much potential EA chooses to utilise I'd imagine.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Proving how great Sims 2 was that's what happens when a game is done right and family play is a heavily advertised feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9u1zMCos8w
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    Just look at the graph, will the Sims 4 ever be as popular as TS2 and TS3? Currently the Sims 3 is barely under TS4 in search popularity.
    Link to comparison
    http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=The Sims 3, The Sims 2, The Sims 4&cmpt=q
    l7BVfNA.jpg
    lol this show how much the sims 3 still strong depise maxis attempt to stop it, while sims 4 is barelly a shadow of what sims 2 and 3 where in the past.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    SlawfishSlawfish Posts: 431 Member
    Nah i don't think it'll ever catch up on googles. Most people know where to look for info on Sims 4 without going through a search engine at all. I don't think I've ever googled "Sims 4" while i definitely have the other ones, having Origin has probably paid some part in that.
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    Be careful this might get deleted soon. :/
    I mean you didn't do anything wrong but you know....

& awesome graph btw, I figured just as much :)
  • Options
    BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member
    I think it depends on what you are searching for. Probably not an accurate measure of popularity. I say this as someone who likes Sims 2, and 3 and find 4 okay.
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • Options
    SlawfishSlawfish Posts: 431 Member
    I think it depends on what you are searching for. Probably not an accurate measure of popularity. I say this as someone who likes Sims 2, and 3 and find 4 okay.

Haha yeah. If you'd add "toddler" to the search terms, Sims 4 will probably *win* ;)
  • Options
    xovaleexovalee Posts: 273 Member
    So what happened to all the pledge threads?
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited September 2015
    xovalee wrote: »
    So what happened to all the pledge threads?
    Deleted anything that is against the latest interview has been removed they are warning happy as well.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    edited September 2015

I'm not really sure what is to dislike about my comment? Apparently using logic is unpopular. I don't mean I like sims 4. I am not defending it. I'm simply stating the obvious. A google graph that talks about search results doesn't mean they are the more popular of the three. 2 probably is. 3 I would guess would be more popular then four or at least close. I don't know. I'm just saying that the graph shown proves nothing. Let me give you an example. A lot of my searches for sims 3 are 'How do I solve this problem" (BTW sims 3 is my favorite installment) or "Where can I find this. Does that mean I love the game? Well, I do, but that doesn't mean anything in according to the graph. I also search things for four. "How do I do this?" "How does this career work?" Does that mean I love sims 4? Nope. And I don't love it.

All I was trying to say was that graph wasn't really a good example of popularity. I wish I could know why someone dislikes your comment. :neutral:
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    Not to mention, I bet a lot of those Sims 3 Google searches were for getting mods to get the game to run without crashing, nearly empty community lots, computer lag, etc..
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited September 2015
    I'm not really sure what is to dislike about my comment? Apparently using logic is unpopular. I don't mean I like sims 4. I am not defending it. I'm simply stating the obvious. A google graph that talks about search results doesn't mean they are the more popular of the three. 2 probably is. 3 I would guess would be more popular then four or at least close. I don't know. I'm just saying that the graph shown proves nothing. Let me give you an example. A lot of my searches for sims 3 are 'How do I solve this problem" (BTW sims 3 is my favorite installment) or "Where can I find this. Does that mean I love the game? Well, I do, but that doesn't mean anything in according to the graph. I also search things for four. "How do I do this?" "How does this career work?" Does that mean I love sims 4? Nope. And I don't love it.

All I was trying to say was that graph wasn't really a good example of popularity. I wish I could know why someone dislikes your comment. :neutral:

Google trends is often used as an indicator of exactly that, trends. Google is the world's most popular search engine, and people search for what they are interested in. It may not be %100 flawless, but data that tries to gauge something like general interest rarely is. However, it's easy to see the trends. The high spikes coincide with the releases of each game. Other peaks occur when influential articles come out, or around the announcement of expansions. etc. You can actually click on the graph and mouse over the letters to see popular headlines and articles at the time. For instance, one of the peaks on the Sims 3 portion of the graph is the Showtime Trailer. So, no, I don't think that 3's search popularity is due to just bugs.

I take most of these things with a grain of salt anyway. But, at the same time, it's very hard not to notice a downward trend. The Sims 4 had less interest on Google searches at the time of its release than the other two. That's just what the graph shows as plain as day. And, believe me, I spend hours a night staring at and compiling graphs at work. This one is easy to read. Why that downward trend occurs is not a part of the data and is anyone's guess.

http://ryansawyermarketing.com/google-trends/
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

Google trends is often used as an indicator of exactly that, trends. Google is the world's most popular search engine, and people search for what they are interested in. It may not be %100 flawless, but data that tries to gauge something like general interest rarely is. However, it's easy to see the trends. The high spikes coincide with the releases of each game. Other peaks occur when influential articles come out, or around the announcement of expansions. etc. You can actually click on the graph and mouse over the letters to see popular headlines and articles at the time. For instance, one of the peaks on the Sims 3 portion of the graph is the Showtime Trailer. So, no, I don't think that 3's search popularity is due to just bugs.

I take most of these things with a grain of salt anyway. But, at the same time, it's very hard not to notice a downward trend. The Sims 4 had less interest on Google searches at the time of its release than the other two. That's just what the graph shows as plain as day. And, believe me, I spend hours a night staring at and compiling graphs at work. This one is easy to read. Why that downward trend occurs is not a part of the data and is anyone's guess.

Well I guess I should have been more clear about what the graph is about. Is it just measuring the amount of times sims 2-4 was searched in google. That's where I think the idea of popularity wouldn't be accurate.

However if it's measuring specific searches like "Where do I buy," Or "Positive reviews" Something like that, then I understand. I only stated what I did because I search for many things about the sims games but I don't think they are always a result of necessarily positive things.
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited September 2015
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

Well I guess I should have been more clear about what the graph is about. Is it just measuring the amount of times sims 2-4 was searched in google. That's where I think the idea of popularity wouldn't be accurate.

However if it's measuring specific searches like "Where do I buy," Or "Positive reviews" Something like that, then I understand. I only stated what I did because I search for many things about the sims games but I don't think they are always a result of necessarily positive things.

Google trends simplifies terms. So instead of "Where do I buy The Sims 4" it will filter the excess if someone types in that term out and lump it in with "The Sims 4" data.

It's always hard to simplify a broad term like interest or popularity. But, even negative things are an indicator of popularity. For example, take the idea that perhaps a lot of people were searching for The Sims 3 because they were interested in bug fixes. Ok, that's a thought. At the same time, people wouldn't be looking for bug fixes if they weren't playing the game, so there's that. When you look at a graph like that positive or negative doesn't matter. By the number of searches you can get a rough idea of how interested people are in something over all. Then, like I said, whether it's for good reasons or not is left up to speculation.

I don't think Google trends is perfect. But, following search engine trends is something that a lot of businesses do to get a general handle on interest, and, like I said, Google is the most popular one out there. And, GT shows exactly what it claims to, how popular something is on Google. It's actually a super interesting little tool to play with. But, I have a very analytical job so maybe I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to these things. Does internet search engine popularity translate into real life popularity? Who knows? A lot of businesses seem to think so, and I don't think it's such an odd thought
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    It's always hard to simplify a broad term like interest or popularity. But, even negative things are an indicator of popularity. For example, take the idea that perhaps a lot of people were searching for The Sims 3 because they were interested in bug fixes. Ok, that's a thought. At the same time, people wouldn't be looking for bug fixes if they weren't playing the game, so there's that. When you look at a graph like that positive or negative doesn't matter. By the number of searches you can get a rough idea of how interested people are in something over all. Then, like I said, whether it's for good reasons or not is left up to speculation.

I don't think Google trends is perfect. But, following search engine trends is something that a lot of businesses do to get a general handle on interest, and, like I said, Google is the most popular one out there. And, GT shows exactly what it claims to, how popular something is on Google. It's actually a super interesting little tool to play with. But, I have a very analytical job so maybe I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to these things. Does internet search engine popularity translate into real life popularity? Who knows? A lot of businesses seem to think so, and I don't think it's such an odd thought

I think you have good points. I concede.
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    edited September 2015
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Proving how great Sims 2 was that's what happens when a game is done right and family play is a heavily advertised feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9u1zMCos8w

I ADORE that video and it is sad we can't have the swinging from the ceiling fans, climbing the windows, temper tantrums...just to name a few things I saw in that video! It is 2015 and there are some amazing games coming out with the newest technology..What happened to Sims 4?

Sims 2 is off the charts..

And there are many reasons someone to look up any of the Sims game..
  • Options
    Zinikar432Zinikar432 Posts: 1 New Member
    COMMENT BACK A HEART (<3) IF U VOTE FOR THE SIMS 4!
  • Options
    KoteykaKoteyka Posts: 537 Member
    Hmm. So this is what happened when i searched "Sims 4" instead of "The Sims 4"...

0f4ddea3e696.png
  • Options
    EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Thank you all for the insights, but considering this thread is 3 years old I will be closing it now.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top