Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Crash on Load up

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Scratch that.... 7.2 is no better. Still crashing. Le sigh. I guess I'll just go back to bandicam to limit fps. I don't want to spend the whole day trouble shooting.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited September 2018
    Safe to assume both Nvidia Control Panel & Inspector doesn't work? Even with Frame Rate Limiter via Inspector set to your main monitors refresh rate?
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    Safe to assume both Nvidia Control Panel & Inspector doesn't work? Even with Frame Rate Limiter via Inspector set to your main monitors refresh rate?

@SimplyJen I haven't checked Nvidia Inspector in a couple years, since it stopped working when I started playing windowed fullscreen with my duals. I will try though. I stopped messing with it for the night. I'll check the NCP, too. :) Thanks :)
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    SemaviLadySemaviLady Posts: 526 Member
    edited September 2018
    I see a lot of people getting temperamental help from the various NVidia tools, I have continued to find that I do not need them to control FPS in TS3. My GPU is a Nvidia 1060 on my newish Cyberlink Laptop running on Win10 and v 1.67 of TS3. These tools were designed on the original disk version of TS3 that is on 1.67 or earlier.
    I use the following set up to limit FPS, as I have done for years on all my gaming desktops and the previous laptops I've used for TS3.
    On my machine(s)-
    3Booter starts the game and calls a tiny program called FPSlimiter, which limits FPS to 30. It stable, it works in both windowed and full screen mod -- never fails or ever gets moody with GPU changes, windows updates, moon phases or changing hairstyles.
    * I don't play this game on Steam so I have no advice there. Steam users in the past have used an FPSlimiter that also works for Skyrim, or 3rd party limiter called D3DOverrider. I have no experience or confidence in the information about these.

The files to download are TWO. You need 3booter and fpslimit (I use zip). The latter zip has the executable and has the dlls you need to drop into the base game folder.
    Grab the files here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/samples/ts3/tools/
    * 3booter-win.zip (file is dated 2011)
    * fpslimit.zip <-- I default to using zip but rar is fine. Note: fpslimit contains the 2 DLLs you need and the executable for FPS control for TS3 v. 1.67. (file is dated 2009)

Decompress them into the base game root folder - in the PROGRAM folder (not documents).
    A snap of my Win10 folder showing the files.
    8TO0v1S.jpg

To start the game, put a shortcut to 3booter on your desktop or into your script file if you use one.
    Script file:
    Here's my script/batch file to start the game by clearing caches -- the extention for batch files is .BAT
    I call my batch file: TS3-Start.bat.
    Warning: You have to edit your own to be sure you have the correct locations of files for the script to run.
    @echo off
    del "C:\Users\<User>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\CASPartCache.package"
    del "C:\Users\<User>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\scriptCache.package"
    del "C:\Users\<User>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\compositorCache.package"
    del "C:\Users\<User>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\simCompositorCache.package"
    del "C:\Users\<User>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\socialCache.package"

del "C:\Users\<User>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\DCCache\*.ebc.tmp"

REM *** Lines which start with REM are your own custom remarks that are not executed 
    REM *** ABOUT the following REM line, never delete ccmerged.package & don't activate this deletion below if you customize shared files with custom content and patterns
    REM del "C:\Users\<User>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\DCBackup\0*.package"

REM ***FINALLY*** The line below, starts my v. 1.67 game and an FPS limiter

start /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\" 3booter.exe

Start your game with this file, turn on the game's FPS checker, and it will stay around 30 fps all the time, windowed or fullscreen.
    I hope this helps someone.
    Post edited by SemaviLady on
    Cheerleader_by_CookiemagiK.gifI've owned the TS3 Store since Feb 2015-thanks to the help of many other simmers
    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ☆★☆ My Page ☆★☆-♞- TS3❣
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @SemaviLady - Hi there. If there was warning up on your post about 3booter and the fpslimiter programs, I must be missing it. But in order to save others some time and heartache, these tools are said to not work on Patch 1.69, only on 1.67 and below. Not sure if they ever worked on Steam installs, in case that is relevant for anyone.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    I'll add the warning. Thanks @Igazor.
    Cheerleader_by_CookiemagiK.gifI've owned the TS3 Store since Feb 2015-thanks to the help of many other simmers
  • Options
    Inspector and NCP where both no-go's. It was odd, cause when I would be clicked on one of my other monitors, my fps would drop to 59 and stay steady there, but as soon as I clicked back on Sims 3, it would shoot up near 200.

@SemaviLady Is there any way raise the fps with that to 60? You're way worked and I'm staying at 30, but I'd much prefer 60. And thank you. I was not looking forward to using bandicam again. Such a pain! :)
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited September 2018
    Must be something to do with mutli monitors. :/ Honestly jealous of your "problem". Wish I had the desk space. lol

Hope you can find a way to use fpslimit @ 60fps.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    @Chello - I happy that this method worked for you. You ask: Is there any way raise the fps with that to 60?
    Sorry. No, not that I know of.
    When this FPS_Limiter.exe was discussed on MATY way back when, Pescado was asked to modify to allow higher levels, he gave his reasons for choosing 30; remained adamant that "human eye cannot see beyond 30 FPS" (sorry, that is paraphrased from memory) and through the discussion he stuck by that and other reasons he gave.
    I am unaware that this rate could be tuned by users that didn't know the how to code that file, and it has no config file.

I have read that the old Skyrim FPS tuner *includes* a config file that allows it to be tuned (this discussion was on Steam years ago, and supposedly some Steam users had success with that tool. I never tried it but I'm happy with the default bc to me, my game has not given visual annoyances or distractions due to FPS that I have noticed in TS3. When I got this new laptop, I didn't install mods but fixed the SGR and put VSync on in Nvidia CP. I played some of my saves and didn't notice a difference at 60FPS (then later I restored all mods, 3booter, the FPSLimiter), but that could just be me. I'm no spring chicken and my eyeglasses of a few decades ago, give Professor Trelawney's glasses a run for the money. :neutral: Thank goodness for the new tech in thinner, more lightweight glasses. :D