Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SHOULD PETS TAKE UP A SIM PLACE IN A HOUSEHOLD

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    When it was revealed that pets will take the Sims' slot, I didn't care at first. But after time, I have to admit it's a bit limitting for some families. It'd be nice to have 1-2 extra slots if you play with pets.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Yeah, their a member of the family - Comment Below
    Also I feel like having them as an official family member of the household probably keeps them from getting randomly culled or whatever like with spawned townies. Because they're part of the played/active household, they fall under those settings and whatnot.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I wish they didn't have to, but if they're as deep as they are, then I see why they did.

However to balance it out I wish we could have more household members.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    ErotesErotes Posts: 2 New Member
    No, you can't even control them - Comment below
    The people who voted for pets taking up household slots are either really young and inexperienced, really simple, really selfish or combination of the previous options. Here’s why:

1. For those who said, “I consider pets a part of my family so they should take a household slot.” This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Yes, I consider pets a member of my family but that does not mean they should limit the amount of people in my home. In the game, pets have a lot less functionality than a sim so they should have their own mechanical category and limitation. No one is questioning your love of your pet by saying this.

2. For those who say, “well I like small households so pets taking up slots is fine.” Not only a dumb thing to say but also extremely selfish. If you are not a child saying this, then you are THE WORST. These are the type of people who complain about laws restricting their rights to restrict the rights of others. Let’s break this down. Allowing people to have say, 8 sims and 2 pets in the household will not in anyway effect your personal game and will not force you to change the small household you like to play. This will however allow others the flexibility to enjoy the game in their own way. It’s that simple. But because you don’t care about other people having that flexibility and it doesn’t effect you in anyway, you simply dismiss their concerns. Wow. Please stay out of politics. Please.

Sorry for reviving this old thread. I love you all, even if you made the most ignorant choice of voting for pets taking up household slots. You are the worst, but I still love you. Byeeeee.
  • Options
    ErotesErotes Posts: 2 New Member
    Oh and for those of you who say, increasing households will slow my game. Ummmm only if you increase your household. So if you don’t want to risk that, don’t do it. It’s that easy.
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    No. Since we can't control them it doesn't make sense to me.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    No they shouldn’t. I don’t mind them not being controlled I actually like that aspect as I found pets too needy in the sims 3 but liked the household system with it where they did not take up a slot.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    No because there's already a problem with being limited to only 8 sims in one household.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    I don't even want to control them...
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    they are part of the sim family and i do not mind not controlling them
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    As they are now without skills, fully fledged relationships and emotions, it even an info panel-- No. They did not even add two dedicated pet slots when they are the equivalent of walking decor.

If they did have all these things and a personality that wasn't reduced to a fear or obsession with the first electronic I interacted with on the home lot, then yeah, they'd be worth the slot just like in 1 and 2. I like them controllable, but they do not have to be to be worth the slot do long as they are interesting.
  • Options
    figgyfiggy Posts: 179 Member
    "No" option is the one I chose, but I absolutely think pets are part of family. I just think they shouldn't count towards the 8, because 7 dogs is NOT NEARLY enough dogs imho. I use LMS mod to allow me to have many many dogs and cats in my households for this reason.
    simming since 2000┃origin: daFigg ┃radiohead-head, potterhead, doodie-head
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Erotes wrote: »
    Oh and for those of you who say, increasing households will slow my game. Ummmm only if you increase your household. So if you don’t want to risk that, don’t do it. It’s that easy.
    Its the way of Sims 4 people with good pcs are punished for those who don't have one when the obvious solution is if large families lag your game don't create them there's no need to punish everyone not once has the game ever run slow for me. Its been a while but I'm pretty sure there's some kind of warming when you go over a certain number of Sims they should up the household number to 10 and do that warning when you create over 8 Sims-pets.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I am glad that I don't have to control pets but I would really really love to be able to have more then 8 household members. Eight is not enough for me.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    NewEmersedCrownNewEmersedCrown Posts: 37 Member
    This poll has raised a question on Cottage Living: does anyone know if the animals in that EP will take up a slot?

There's kind of no good answer here because if it is 'yes, they do take up a slot' then the issues Cats & Dogs create are massively amplified. You couldn't have a 'farm' and a household.

If the answer is 'no, they don't' then it becomes frustrating for Cats & Dogs because it means EA clearly knew how to sort it so animals don't take up a slot and they recognise the flaws behind animals taking a slot, but still didn't put this system in place for Cats & Dogs.

Final question: if Cottage Living doesn't have animals take up a slot, what do you think are the odds of a Cats & Dogs patch that makes the same true for that pack?
  • Options
    TiffanyLea007TiffanyLea007 Posts: 1,068 Member
    I never thought of this. But that would be great. Its not like we can control them. More people have gaming computers so I think computers could handle it. There could always be options for people with laptops and slower computers to set a limit.
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I don't even want to control them...

Better to have the option rather than be just disappointing
  • Options
    telltalehearttelltaleheart Posts: 17 Member
    I'm fine not being able to control them, but if the animals in the new pack aren't members of the family, I don't see why pets must be. Maybe it's got to do with being able to make them in create a sim and post them to the gallery, but surely there's a way around that. At least if you COULD control them, the family slot would make sense. Having roommates doesn't count as a household member, right? And I imagine that a roommate's AI is more complicated than a pet's, though I don't actually know that.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    No, they shouldn't take up a slot. Itddoesn't matter whether or not they are controllable. But taking up slots for family members means you can only play a small family if you want several pets.
  • Options
    InspectorBodoInspectorBodo Posts: 6 New Member
    The family size in general is a performance optimization restriction. I'd like to see a setting letting you increase it to 12 if you think your computer can handle it, like you can already increase your neighborhood population cap.
  • Options
    simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    Couldn't they let them show up without adding them to the count total? Didn't they do that in another Sim game edition?
    If I could control them, then yes but I'm so miffed I can't. I'm reminded when I go to click on their icon on the control panel, at least thankful I can find them that way.
  • Options
    MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    edited July 2021
    Welp. I'm obviously on the dissenting end of this discussion.

I for one absolutely do think pets should take up a slot for the household, preceisly because the are family. And well, if babies which are even more of an object than pets count towards the total household count (which they do. Even a pregnant Sim adds two to the whole household count) why shouldn't pets count towards the total household count as well?

And I think I'd be miffed if they did remove pets taking up a household slot, since it would feel like they're not a part of the family anymore. I mean I'm upset bunnies can't be added to the household and I'm hoping someone can find a way to cheat them into the house. So if they removed pets as counting as a family member I would be majorly upset. My cats are my family and they should be counted as such.

ETA: Now if they added a seperate "pets" tab. And increased the amount of sims you can have in the household, I would be fine if they moved them to this seperate tab, and the household number displays something like 10: 8 Sims + 2 pets, I'd be fine with it. But pets not being counted as sims in terms of adding to the household count would bother me.

ETA 2: Reading through these responses, it seems the problem lies more in the limit of 8 sims per household rather than the pets taking up a slot. I think the best compromise would be to increase the limit to either 10 or 12. That way those of us who want pets counted towards the household total so they feel more like family, don't lose out on anything. And those who want to play with large families don't lose out either.

And also, like some people on here believe people wanting pets to be counted towards the household total are selfish since they prefer smaller families + pets... I can easily say the same to those of you who think pets shouldn't count towards the total household account simply because you want to play with huge families that may or may not have pets.

I personally have no use for playing with more than 8 Sims unless it's because I want 1-2 normal sims and like 10 pets. But for those of you do play large families, I can see why you'd want more than 8 sims. And that's totally fine. All I'm asking for is have a little grace for those of us who do want our pets counted and push for the "more than 8 sims" option as opposed to the "don't count pets" option.
    Post edited by MeowchaFrappe on
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top