Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SHOULD PETS TAKE UP A SIM PLACE IN A HOUSEHOLD

TS2 used to have a separate row for pets in the household so you could have the usual 8 sims + pets but in TS4 it has changed to pets taking up a space in the family. Should this be allowed, vote and let's see!
hope you all are smiling x

SHOULD PETS TAKE UP A SIM PLACE IN A HOUSEHOLD 146 votes

Yeah, their a member of the family - Comment Below
21%
IcewolfWritin_RegSimburianfriendlysimmersPegasysjheyjuneiceannaliese39TomaTeriMaggieMarleySigzy05OldeseadoggeLoanetTheGoodOldGamerMiniMajestygummybear0724ManakoHimeIzzeh96SihuDarTeachesMadachan88 32 votes
No, you can't even control them - Comment below
78%
nickibitswardOneAdorkableGirlGoldmoldaricmnfrshJeanTheStarHermitaprilroseMadameLeeMaMaTwinklebirdTinkerballkeekee53Morten8035elanorbretonhaneulCynnaMariefoxprice83harmonyishereNADYSOPHIEIObelleBagoas77 114 votes

Comments

• Options
    PastelMermaidPastelMermaid Posts: 1,298 Member
    they are as you say in your options .. a member of the family.. like with the babies, which are technically seen as objects till aging up to toddlers. So even though you can't control them.. (taking the discipline out of the equation) they're family too
    tumblr_nvqukkenkr1udwsc5o7_250.gif

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options
    M_Valentine22M_Valentine22 Posts: 203 Member
    @PastelMermaid
    Your signature is everything
    hope you all are smiling x
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2018
    Sims 1 and 2 pets were not controllable and took up slots - so what is the difference? Sims 3 was the only game that had controllable pets - which was also the only game where pets were actually sims. So I don't get the issue with pets taking slots as they always have - especially when it was not an issue with the first two games of the series.

If we are going to base all the games off of Sims 3 - then by all rights having loading screen and no open world should be an even bigger issue - never mind not have any transportation at all nor real roads in Sims 4 - seem far more important than sims slots with the sim furry members. Pets ARE family in most peoples eyes and to me make sense.

I think if people want to carry on over this kind of issue in this game of all the games then they should be far more concerned over the tiny lots and lack of space compared to all the other sims games for our sims to live than wanting to have more sims to have a spot in the household when we have less livable spots to place houses and less room to comfortably have more sims plus pets to live on these smaller lots. Average size of Sims 3 lots were 40 x40 - why not complain about that? How many empty 40 x 40 lots do you have in Sims 4?

Perhaps better yet - we should just remind ourselves this is not Sims 3 - it's Sims 4, and like all the Sims series none of the former were even meant to be exactly the same as the present series anyway. If anything Sims 3 was the exception - in many ways.

In my view if I had any complaint about controllable sims - it would be the lack of controlling my human sims at home or on other lots when I am following just one of my sims from the household. To me that is the bigger issue. When I go with one sim - why do all my sims at home stop doing what I told them to. To me that is the bigger problem - and keep in mind that our sims are supposed to actually be controllable - yet they aren't really if you can only deal with one at a time. In real life that would be chaos!
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    In this iteration, I think it is pointless for the pet to take up a slot. You can't control them, you can't see their needs, you can't see their skills, etc

Seriously, no point even having them take up a slot because there is nothing to see. I can't remember pets in sims 1 but in Sims 2 at least I could see their skills, needs, their character so it made more sense.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I voted no not because I don’t believe a pet isn’t a member of the family but because previous games increased the maximum number of sims and pets you could have in total. The sims 4 hasn’t done that. The fact that cats and dogs are just avatars is a different issue.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I don't mind that you can't control them, it just bothers me that they take up a slot in your household. With the baby at least they eventually get older and you can control them. Also, if you can hire a live in butler and have it not take up a place in your household than you should be able to do that with the pets as well. I know some people will say "but the butler isn't family!" and I agree but, to me its essentially the same thing because you can't control either one.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    As much as I love my pets, I need more household space for controllable sims. Or at least make a separate space for pets.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    sdipietrosdipietro Posts: 5 New Member
    I consider my pets as part of the family lol
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited August 2018
    I don't really care one way or the other. I never find myself wanting to go over the limit of 8, even with pets. So it makes no difference for me.

Although I will say I don't think them being controllable or not has anything to do with how that decision should've been made
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,915 Member
    If EA/Maxis can do it without upsetting what Ram, etc., is needed to run the game ok, otherwise leave it as it is.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I honestly don't really care either way. I don't consider pets family, so technically I don't think they need to take up that space, but being able to click on them at least lets me keep track of them and I find that better than not being able to click them and know what they're doing. I wouldn't mind if they weren't in the household slot though, as long there was another way to click them and monitor them.
  • Options
    sazzieJsazzieJ Posts: 150 Member
    for me its not an issue that i cant control them its an issue that i can still only have 8 sims/pets in total. i only play one household per world and when my sim marries another sim i like to move their family into my house so sometimes i can have upto 8 sims and as much as id like a pet id rather the in-laws to my sim.

i think there needs to be a balance. 8 sims max with the option of say 4 pets so if you want to breed your pet and have a litter you can without compromising on your sims story as we cant even see the age of the pet.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,091 Member
    In this version I see no reason for them to take a household spot they don't have a needs bar cant be controlled cant see their skills what exactly do they need to be taking up a household spot for.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I would like pets to have a separate AI somehow, but what I really wish is if in TS4 LIKE IN TS2 AND TS3, older games, we could have 8 sims and two pets, or 6 sims and 4 pets etc.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Why does it need to take a slot when you can't control them?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Cupid wrote: »
    I don't really care one way or the other. I never find myself wanting to go over the limit of 8, even with pets. So it makes no difference for me.

Although I will say I don't think them being controllable or not has anything to do with how that decision should've been made

I don't think it did have anything to do with the decision - I feel it was because of the larger number of smaller lots and the fact lots are not placeable. As I notice most of the bigger lots are already in use by Maxis Sims and many of us do not remove the Maxis sims so the lots left for our sims are by and large on the smaller scale that makes it extremely hard to even have 8 family members - never mind have more slots to also include pets. In smaller lots too many sims plus pets too is asking for routing nightmares - especially seeing pets can now jump onto counters and things. Keep in mind more sims, more routing issues equals more game issues and complaining Simmers.

The devs know if you used a mod to increase those numbers - those issues are not their problem - it's yours and the modders - but if they did that - then it becomes their problem. So think about it - why on earth would they do something that is known to create issues on lots anyway. They are not.

In Sims 3 the average empty lot size was 40 x 40 for us to building on - in sims 4 the average lot size left for us to build on is 20x30 and 20 x 20 - like half the size of Sims 3 lots. In Sims 3 - and even Sims 2 I always had a go 12-20 empty lots to work with in each new world - In sims 4 you are lucky if we even have 4 empty lots -

So how on earth can we fit 8 sims plus pets on a dinky lot that also has floor level limits as well without expecting issues?

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    I assume this was done because of game performance issues so I prefer it the way it is now.
  • Options
    CurolaCurola Posts: 86 Member
    To be honest: I don't really care whether they have their own row or not. But I really don't want them to block Sim slots. In TS2 and TS3 I was able to have my full 8 Sims + pets. Now I can only have 8 Persons/Pets in total. Which means, that playing a family gets nearly impossible, especially if you have more than 2 pets. At this moment I have to decide if I get rid of my second cat or if my sister has to move out when she will marry soon... or should I kick out the grandparents and keep the sister + husband + cat instead?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Curola wrote: »
    To be honest: I don't really care whether they have their own row or not. But I really don't want them to block Sim slots. In TS2 and TS3 I was able to have my full 8 Sims + pets. Now I can only have 8 Persons/Pets in total. Which means, that playing a family gets nearly impossible, especially if you have more than 2 pets. At this moment I have to decide if I get rid of my second cat or if my sister has to move out when she will marry soon... or should I kick out the grandparents and keep the sister + husband + cat instead?

They have to use a sims slot and they always have and always will unless you want them to work like small pets on a pre -made loop doing the same actions over and over with little respect to the sim. They need to be trained so they need a sim spot. They need to interact with sims - they need a sim spot. All sims pet had a sim spot - the difference is when pets were added in Sims 2 and Sims 3 they added two new sims spots so you could have up to 10 sims or 9 sims and 1 pet or 8 sims and 2 pets - etc, etc. They still took a sims spot if you wanted a pet. What's more Sims 2 and 3 had lots available big enough for that many sims or sims and pets to occupy a lot comfortably. Their lots were twice the size and offered more levels than our lots. That many sims and pet on a 20x30 lot sounds like a routing nightmare to me.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    I don't remember how it was with TS2, but in TS3, we could have a full complement of "human" Sims, plus two animals. My favorite family is a couple with six kids, a Labrador Retriever and a Shepherd cross. If I wanted to have a family like that in TS4, it's impossible.

TS4's mission statement should be: "Fewer features, more restrictions." :/
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    SimChessackSimChessack Posts: 182 Member
    I think there should be a separate limit on the # of human vs. the # of animal sims. So for example... 8 humans + 3 pets of any sort, or something.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Cynna wrote: »
    I don't remember how it was with TS2, but in TS3, we could have a full complement of "human" Sims, plus two animals. My favorite family is a couple with six kids, a Labrador Retriever and a Shepherd cross. If I wanted to have a family like that in TS4, it's impossible.

In Sims 3 we had 40 x 40 lots as the main lot and plenty of them but this is not that game. It offered ample room for bigger households - this one does not. If I want that then I go play that game. Options are there, you can still play Sim 3 things you like. Every game has been different and actually to be expected seeing every game has been developed differently. But when I get to wanting something more intensely in the former games - well I just go play those for a while until I miss this ones differences enough to want and come play this one. I have games active in Sims 2, 3, and 4.

Not an issue. What would be an issue is if every game was just like all the former ones - then it'd be like paying for the same game over and over. As much as I miss things in the various earlier versions of the game I have learned to respect this one for what it offers as well and when I can't well I just go play the others.

Everybody like something better in each game - they could never make a game to provide everyones favorite thing seeing everything about this game is nothing like the former ones. They have one thing in common really - we are the Gods of humanoid pixels living life in a video game = you do always have the option to play the one you like best - but it is expected that this one is not that game and it will have differences always. I am just glad it finally has all the basics like the sims stages of life, some pets, the weather, and a different set of aspects that actually make it different than the others. But also my computer lets me enjoy all of them when ever I want or miss some part not in this game.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited August 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Cynna wrote: »

In Sims 3 we had 40 x 40 lots as the main lot and plenty of them but this is not that game. It offered ample room for bigger households - this one does not. If I want that then I go play that game. Options are there, you can still play Sim 3 things you like. Every game has been different and actually to be expected seeing every game has been developed differently. But when I get to wanting something more intensely in the former games - well I just go play those for a while until I miss this ones differences enough to want and come play this one. I have games active in Sims 2, 3, and 4.

Not an issue. What would be an issue is if every game was just like all the former ones - then it'd be like paying for the same game over and over. As much as I miss things in the various earlier versions of the game I have learned to respect this one for what it offers as well and when I can't well I just go play the others.

Everybody like something better in each game - they could never make a game to provide everyones favorite thing seeing everything about this game is nothing like the former ones. They have one thing in common really - we are the Gods of humanoid pixels living life in a video game = you do always have the option to play the one you like best - but it is expected that this one is not that game and it will have differences always. I am just glad it finally has all the basics like the sims stages of life, some pets, the weather, and a different set of aspects that actually make it different than the others. But also my computer lets me enjoy all of them when ever I want or miss some part not in this game.

You're basically saying that the developers made their decision on Sim/pet allotments due to lot size? I hope that is an assumption on your part. Family size does not necessarily correlate to the size of a residential lot, in-game or in real life. Not every player enjoys playing large lots, regardless of the size of the family.

I'm glad that you believe that TS4 has all of the basic features of the previous games. However, on that, you and I will have to agree to disagree -- especially when in comes to life stages and AI of the Sims. There's still a lot missing in TS4, including the illusion that the player has any choice at all. With TS4, I don't feel "god-like" at all, because the freedom that once existed in the series is continuously being eroded.

I do agree that each game in the series should offer something different. However, it doesn't have to be a completely different game does it? After all, it's part of a series. There's a certain standard that has been set that makes a Sims game a Sims game, you know, and, to me, Sims 4 doesn't have some of those things -- such as the ability to have eight Sims and still be able to have a pet. In previous games, it wasn't either/or, a player could have both.

The reason that I keep trying to voice my concerns is because, when I first bought the game, I saw it's potential. Yet, nearly at the end of its fourth year, the game hasn't lived up to its predecessors. I keep adding my voice to those who are disappointed in hopes that EA will hear and bring the game up to the standard that most of us have come to expect from a Sims game.

So, it's not a matter of just going back to another game and, basically, shutting up. I spent my money, just like everyone else, as a show of faith that I believed in the Sims series. I'm still waiting for that faith to be vindicated. So far, not so much. I see shortcuts everywhere that I look and I'm allowed to state my disappointment.

For those of you who are very happy with the game, as is, I salute you. It must be nice. I'm still hoping that the game will begin to function and feel like a Sims game again.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I wasn't sure how I would like uncontrolled pets after having them controlled in S3, but I'm ok with that. Since they aren't controlled though, it would be nice if they didn't take up space like hopefully Unicorns, farm animals, zoo animals, woodland animals if we get any of those. It would be nice to be able to have many animals and a large family. If you don't play large families, then it isn't a problem, but for those that do, it does limit play. It isn't fun to leave off a large family if you want a bunch of animals or to have litters of kittens. What doesn't matter to some can hinder the play of others. It won't hurt them if the sim count is higher, but it does hinder play for those who want it.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    Ideally, no, they shouldn't... but game performance matters more.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top