Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Burning Questions from Today’s Game

1) Can a Sim reasonably/realistically be well mannered and responsible, but distinctly lacking (low) in empathy?

2) How long are Elders generally alive in that life stage before they die of natural causes?
Bob and Eliza are about to get old. I don’t mind them being retired and enjoying their golden years, hopefully with a grandchild or two, but I am not sure I want to lose them. I’ve never gotten to generation three before and I’ve never had Sims die of old age.

3) How can I max out/master the Parenting skill?
Bob is currently on level 8.5

Comments

• Options
    Serendipity38Serendipity38 Posts: 1,257 Member
    I cant offer insight fore your first two questions, but in reply to the third:

Just have the parent continue to do parenting things with/for the child and/or teen. Such as helping them with homework, teaching them manners, etc. The parenting skill bar should keep going up every time you do such, until eventually you reach level Ten. At least, I'm PRETTY sure that's how it generally works!
  • Options
    simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    edited August 2018
    I think the elder stage is around 20 days 25 maybe? If you have a sim with the long lived trait it can be a fair bit longer.
    Just keep doing parenting things, discipline and encourage a lot, lots of loving hugs and there are some parenting options on the pc that can boost the skill too.
    Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    edited August 2018
    Homework and Loving hugs etc. I got the homework bit, didn’t quite realise interactions with the parenting thing (e.g. Hug lovingly, ask about future plans etc) counted towards parenting skill. That’s quite awesome.
    Do you know if the parenting forums still work at top skill levels?

And 25 days or so would be pretty cool. I had a feeling it might be a week or week and a half for some reason. :p
  • Options
    Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    For #1, I would say, yes, knowing some of my former bosses. :p
  • Options
    LairaLaira Posts: 39 Member
    I think the elder stage is around 10 days with the normal lifespan.

You can have a sim who is responsible and well mannered, but low in empathy. Just use the mean interaction like yelling and fighting. Trolling the forums works really well.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Lol. Did we work at the same place?

Like you @NRowe I have never got to the 3rd gen or had a sim die of old age (I actually haven't had a sim die yet) in ts4. It's what comes of constantly restarting (for me, anyway).

Don't the parenting skill books get you all the way to the top? I haven't had a sim that high in parenting either.
  • Options
    afai1261afai1261 Posts: 2,030 Member
    Lol. Did we work at the same place?

Like you @NRowe I have never got to the 3rd gen or had a sim die of old age (I actually haven't had a sim die yet) in ts4. It's what comes of constantly restarting (for me, anyway).

Don't the parenting skill books get you all the way to the top? I haven't had a sim that high in parenting either.

Don't skill books only take you to lvl 9 so you have to actually do the skill to master it?
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    I think browsing parenting forums/researching parenting tips works up to level 10. If not, babies and toddlers are "better" to level up on than children or teens. I haven't really bothered much with the skill, but that's my humble experience, anyway :)
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    afai1261 wrote: »
    Don't skill books only take you to lvl 9 so you have to actually do the skill to master it?
    That would make sense.

I've never actually had a sim read any higher level books as they always do the thing they want to level up in actively.
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,431 Member
    For the elders just look at ther age bar, as days go by it gets full and once it full and glowing it means days are left. Elders with the LTR that have the effect of living longer have more time.
    As to raise parenting, have your sim interact with kids, teach them manners and discipline as well praise. I usually get parenting to level 10 when my sim had 3 kids finally reach their teens and are ready for when they have grandchildren.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    For the number one yes. If you are trying to build the sim version of a psychopath or sociopath. I'm doing this now I have an evil child but still skilling him, his empathy is red but the others still need some work also. Would love to know how the adult versions of these kinds of sims work out.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    ripentogetherripentogether Posts: 87 Member
    Yeah 10 days on normal lifespan. There's the long-lived reward but also the Active trait gives another 7 days on normal.
  • Options
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    For the number one yes. If you are trying to build the sim version of a psychopath or sociopath. I'm doing this now I have an evil child but still skilling him, his empathy is red but the others still need some work also. Would love to know how the adult versions of these kinds of sims work out.

Are Insenstive (low empathy) Sims really that bad and anti-social? :o

Sad if it’s ten days for Elder. :( Better get working on those grandchildren pronto!
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    NRowe wrote: »

Sad if it’s ten days for Elder. :( Better get working on those grandchildren pronto!

Frankly I don't know yet... this is the Sims so well I doubt it. I just like it for character building. This is what they say the trait they give can do later..
    Insensitive Trait - Punishment for Low Empathy
    Insensitive Sims are able to Question other Sims' negative emotions. They can also Instigate other Sims. Insensitive Sims will have a higher chance of failing socially when talking to Sims with bad emotions.

I play my sim the way I want them to be so if I want them to be antisocial I make them antisocial. I also am doing this with sims with an evil trait so although they don't come off as antisocial they get very happy when sims are suffering around them. I'd like to have an interaction to instigate other sims and the ability to question emotions it will make them seem more detached to me.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    1) Can a Sim reasonably/realistically be well mannered and responsible, but distinctly lacking (low) in empathy?

2) How long are Elders generally alive in that life stage before they die of natural causes?
    Bob and Eliza are about to get old. I don’t mind them being retired and enjoying their golden years, hopefully with a grandchild or two, but I am not sure I want to lose them. I’ve never gotten to generation three before and I’ve never had Sims die of old age.

You can gain parenting skill by researching parenting on the computer. I don't think the parenting forum does much, but the research option works. Also, you can have another Sim give parenting tips (it's an option in the 'friendly' interactions) - they get a nice boost from that. One of my Sims maxed out her parenting with research and her mother's parenting tips before she had any kids to raise.

I think some of the skill books will take you all the way, and some don't. (I think you can get a 'ten' in Logic from skill books alone.) Last night, I had my Sim go on a baking frenzy (throwing away everything after she made it, since all that food would make the family fat) to max out the skill - she could only get to '9' with the books.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    edited August 2018

1) To be honest, yes and no. Sims with good manners can do the polite introduction and express gratidude to the sims they're visiting, but the insensitive trait will make them mean and they won't get along with other sims at all when they are in the negative emotions. But it's different with responsible. Responsible sims will work hard at work, complete their daily work task at work, and get chance cards that usually have only positive results. Insensitive trait won't matter here.

2) From my research and observations, elder stage lasts:
    on short: 5 days.
    on normal: 10 days.
    on long: 40 days.
    However, Seasons patch changed it so sims can have their birthday up to 3 days earlier or away the usual lifespan.
    Active trait and long lived traits matter. This doesn't affect aging bar, but does push elder's death far away.
    Hovering over the aging bar shows how many days has your sim lived. This actually shows how many days have sim lived (so it increases even when the aging is off) and does not affect the gameplay.
    You can change the aging settings in the gameplay options. I keep it on only for active households, so the grandparent who live in another household won't die by old age randomly. You can also get the Potion of Youth from the rewards store. It costs 1,500 satisfaction points, but when you buy one, I recommend making a one square room, putting the potion in there, and then saving the room to your library. That way you can get the Potion of Youth for free next time.

3) You can read a parenting book until he gets to level 9. Then skill books cannot help your sim to reach level 10. You can then research parenting or browse parenting forums. What I have found useful is giving parenting tips. You can have other sim give Bob parenting tips two times, talk about other things for some time and then do it again. Do that and your sim will be able to do the Super Efficient Baby Care on his future grandchildren.

Other players say they are constantly mean. It doesn't mean that they don't want to talk to other sims (so they aren't anti-social).
    The main features of insensitive traits are that sims won't understand other sim's emotions and won't understand that being mean actually makes other sims angry. They can also question other sims' emotions and instigate other sims to make them sad, angry, or tense. They also have harder time to socialize with other sims, but it is possible to build friendships or romances with insensitive sims. It is possible, but harder than usual.

You can change the aging settings in the gameplay options. For this, go to the menu (upper right corner, three dots), click on options, and choose gameplay. There you can set the lifespan lenght and turn it on or off for either played sims or unplayed sims (you can do both). With played sims, you can make only the active household age.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Thanks.
    @EgonVM particularly, you obviously put a lot into your thoughtful and helpful reply.

I’ll look out for that Parenting Tips interaction. o:)

I will consider the character traits and definately feel free to give Responsible and Insensitive. Might still throw in Good Manners but not really use the polite introduction... mm.

And I’d forgotten the potion of youth so I may resort to that, in the end. B)
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    (throwing away everything after she made it, since all that food would make the family fat)

Why couldn't you just sell them through the sim's inventory instead? :p Such a waste of virtual baked goodies!
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png