Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are bills suppose to be this high?

JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
This is absolutely ridiculous. And I don't know if this has been posted or not, but my sum family's bills were over 25,000 simolians. I'm not trying to use money cheats on my legacy family but my goodness that's insane.

Is this a bug or part of the game now?
WbUrFQm.png
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    Lex2221Lex2221 Posts: 972 Member
    Lol I’ve never had bills that high, but ppl that’s experienced it say that the things in your sims’ inventory contribute to the bill amount. So you might want to check to see what they have.
    2ahzmo1.gif
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    get the frugal reward trait, bills are insane since seasons
  • Options
    irishfinoirishfino Posts: 73 Member
    heating/cooling can add to bills now, too.
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    irishfino wrote: »
    heating/cooling can add to bills now, too.

Right, you can use the thing from Perfect Patio to warm up your sims for free, or the fireplace instead of the thermostat. You can also change their clothing when inside to save money.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    leetamme wrote: »
    This is absolutely ridiculous. And I don't know if this has been posted or not, but my sum family's bills were over 25,000 simolians. I'm not trying to use money cheats on my legacy family but my goodness that's insane.

Is this a bug or part of the game now?

Do you have Seasons installed in your game? Did you also install the thermostat? Are your Sims turning it on warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer? That's the source of the higher rate of pay.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    metalfenix_Rafmetalfenix_Raf Posts: 536 Member
    Some people say that items on your sims inventories add up to the bills, you might want to check your sims inventories and sell whatever you don't use.
    Want to see my sims? find me in the Gallery by my Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf

Want to see the Custom Content CAS Pieces I created? Check ModTheSims, Sims 4 Studio Forums
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I have seasons and they use the thermostat bcuz they get the cold moodlet while inside even though they wear their winter clothes inside and I have a fireplace. I'll check their inventory to see what's in it.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Not a bug, although I have never seen bills over $6,000 in my own game files even with seasons. The bills have to do with what your home and furnishings are worth, your sims' inventories, the family inventory, and now with seasons if they use the thermostat.

I have a few suggestions. Be a minimalist, only having essentials and no extra decor. Keep all inventories down to only the few things you need to keep. Use the fireplace and pool to heat up or cool down, and maybe only use the thermostat in extreme cold amd hot weather.

I also play legacy families, and if you are not careful all the extra unneeded items and frills can help make higher bills. My sims have lower bills and more wealth because their home looks simple. I also earn at least one sim in each generation the reward trait to lower bills.
  • Options
    JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    I notice that if I don’t play a family for a while their bills start adding up. One of my family’s had bills over $18,000, after I paid the bill I then continued playing them and their bill came up again during the play period and it was around $6000 the next time. So I think some of it has to do with how long you go without playing them, especially if you play other sims in the same game.
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    It’s the thermostat (at least it is in my game). I’m playing the Pancakes house, and after adding rooms/items for all 5 of their kids the bills are around 3,500. After 3 days of freezing weather with the heat on, the bills were almost 19,000.
  • Options
    MezinkaMezinka Posts: 111 Member
    My Sims were using the thermostat and their bills jumped up to $41,000. I have no idea how th that happened.
    double_facepalm.jpg
    Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
  • Options
    PlainevilPlainevil Posts: 221 Member
    I have never used the thermostat, but regularly send my Sim on vacation. After opting to stay an extra day in the jungle my bills shot from normal 2500 to 11000. The only extra items i had where uncovered artifacts, which totalled 2000 max.

The following week bills returned to normal.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I have seen so many people mention outrageous bill amounts all of a sudden and I have yet to experience this. I’m convinced it’s some kind of mod everyone has.
  • Options
    GeekeryGeekery Posts: 46 Member
    I've noticed that the bigger my houses are or the nicer the furniture, there's high bills. Of course I never thought about the inventories so I'm going to get rid of them and see how it goes. I've got bills at like 12,000 sometimes and I'm like... how?

I used to think that like owning TVs and Computers made stuff go higher... is that possible or is just since seasons with the thermostats?
    [Fan since The Sims]

• Options
    irishfinoirishfino Posts: 73 Member
    Geekery wrote: »
    I've noticed that the bigger my houses are or the nicer the furniture, there's high bills. Of course I never thought about the inventories so I'm going to get rid of them and see how it goes. I've got bills at like 12,000 sometimes and I'm like... how?

I used to think that like owning TVs and Computers made stuff go higher... is that possible or is just since seasons with the thermostats?

yes, it's possible that owning TVs and computers make the bills higher. the bills are based on the total value of your lot, which includes all the items in the house and the default value of the house when empty. the thermostat adds a cost when it's used. i'm sure there's a formula for both, but i've never really looked, i just know the nicer my items get, the higher my bills get, lol.
  • Options
    SimilliantSimilliant Posts: 4 New Member
    I'm not sure how much of a difference it actually makes but I always turn my lights to auto. Pre seasons, my highest bill for a family of five was 10,000 with all the lights on all the time... once I turned them on auto it went down to 6,000.
  • Options
    MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    I'm pretty sure things in the player inventory do count towards the bills.

My current sim has the cheapest house in Willow Creek, with little to no modifications to it. My bills came through near the end of a Selvadorada vacation, and she had a massive haul of the temple treasures (3x frogs and 2x plates) and the bills came to around $10k. The previous bills were only around $400 as it happened on the week I was skilling up the sim.
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options
    AmeliasaurAmeliasaur Posts: 4 New Member
    Wow I've never had bills more than $4,000 and in the house I'm currently playing she pretty much used the thermostat all winter. She also has some pretty nice furnishings but I keep her inventory empty for the most part. I'm going to be keeping an eye out for outrageous bills- I don't want any of that.
  • Options
    TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I have seen so many people mention outrageous bill amounts all of a sudden and I have yet to experience this. I’m convinced it’s some kind of mod everyone has.

Nope, played through all 4 seasons 100% vanilla and my sims bills were astronomically high by the time they were due. They were like 30k Simoleans I think.

I've since then went back to using my mods and included a mod that very subtly ticks down the cost of the bills because it was a tad bit much haha.
    // take me back to 2018.
  • Options
    fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    Pretty sure it has to do with switching households. I always have high bills, but it is because I am always playing different families and go several sim weeks before revisiting them. If I play one family for 2 weeks the second bill is always cheaper.
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited August 2018
    For those that have crazy bills, what is the value of your sims lots?

Pre-seasons, it was a formula based on the value of the lot (which does include what's in sims' inventories as well as household inventory). I came across the alleged formula somewhere online - 2% for the first $20,000, 3% up to $30,000, 3.5% to $50,000, and then 5% > %50,000. This does seem to hold true if my sims are not having to use the thermostat. When they do, the bills are higher, and I'm sure there's some sort of formula based on days heating/cooling as well as temperature. My sims bills generally triple during the winter season. But I rarely play big expensive houses so I'm talking going somewhere like from $1,700 to $6,000.
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I have a big house, but not much in it. My bills are $3,000 which seems a little high for the lack of items I have.
  • Options
    TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    edited August 2018
    Pegasys wrote: »
    For those that have crazy bills, what is the value of your sims lots?

Pre-seasons, it was a formula based on the value of the lot (which does include what's in sims' inventories as well as household inventory). I came across the alleged formula somewhere online - 2% for the first $20,000, 3% up to $30,000, 3.5% to $50,000, and then 5% > %50,000. This does seem to hold true if my sims are not having to use the thermostat. When they do, the bills are higher, and I'm sure there's some sort of formula based on days heating/cooling as well as temperature. My sims bills generally triple during the winter season. But I rarely play big expensive houses so I'm talking going somewhere like from $1,700 to $6,000.

The net values of my lots range from 50,000 to 97,000 on average. Never any higher than 150,000 as I don't actively play "rich" sims that I move into expensive homes.
    // take me back to 2018.
  • Options
    Poli69plPoli69pl Posts: 72 Member
    Honestly I wish my bills were higher. In my legacy family I have just too much money. I think I'm gonna visit all of my friends and give them some via the new option of gift giving :D
  • Options
    jessica925jessica925 Posts: 33 Member
    I've noticed a fairly big jump with most of my households, though the most I've seen is 75,000 simoleons (that's with 3 sims having the frugal trait which is supposed to stack and therefore lower their bills). My household with the really high bills does have a reasonably expensive house (with some collectibles on display, particularly from Jungle Adventures). Though their house is still only a portion of their wealth, so they have no problems paying their bills, I do still think it's excessive (I think their bills used to be around 25k before the thermostat and their house value hasn't gone up that much). I only use the thermostat because I've had warnings of my sims freezing to death in a couple of saves and I tend to play larger households so it's easier to have the thermostat and not have to micromanage the sims.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top