Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gallery being sorted by "Popular Now" by default is a problem

Comments

• Options
    PlantylPlantyl Posts: 53 Member
    edited August 2018
    @TwoHorses They're avoiding talking this problem since they know they made a mistake.
    Post edited by Plantyl on
  • Options
    dzidziak86dzidziak86 Posts: 78 Member
    edited August 2018
    So true @kass17! It's such a bad idea. I uploaded the house, just to see if it really is as bad as I think and the difference is huge. I agree that only popular players will always be on the top and cheaters of course. Gallery is such a mess right now. It's such a disappointment. We all worked so hard and now we are invisible.
    Post edited by dzidziak86 on
  • Options
    Trippie25Trippie25 Posts: 7 New Member
    So, I've been reading a lot on this particular issue. Following this thread and a couple others. But I went into the game and noticed something. In the "Lessons" tab, where it gives you tutorial tips on just about everything in the game, there is no section in there for the gallery. I think this would solve at least some of the issues stated here. New players or those unfamiliar with the Gallery could learn how to navigate the different tabs, favorites, etc. Maybe like the forums there are some stated do's and don'ts. Those of us more adept at the game and gallery could easily turn it off, but it would be there for those who need it. Just a thought!
  • Options
    simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member
    And, another issue is that the things in Popular Now aren't changing very frequently since the update, because they just stay popular due to people continuing to download them since it's the first thing they see. I checked it twice a day apart, and I would say it stayed about 60-75% the same stuff.

I've noticed this as well. And another problem - that McDonald's near the top of 'Popular Now' lots is one of many, many copies of that same build (originally by a creator named devu84). There are three of that specific build in 'Popular Now' alone, all with different user ids as the uploader. If the 'Popular Now' tag was supposed to be for highlighting new, fresh, quality builds, unfortunately, it's not working out that way at the moment. I have no idea what could be done about all the duplicates on the gallery, though. :/

I did a little 'test' - I built something that would normally get at least a few downloads: a starter home with no cc that only uses the base game and two of the more popular expansions, Cats & Dogs and Seasons. Not one single download. It's not a bad looking little house, so I think (I hope, anyway, lol) it's just not being seen.

ETA: While I was typing this, one of the three McDonald's disappeared (the one with the most downloads), but there are still two of them in 'Popular Now.' I suspect that isn't the only cloned build in there.
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • Options
    zSdeyVW.png

No, it isn't. They didn't fix the actual problem.
  • Options
    M_Valentine22M_Valentine22 Posts: 203 Member
    My sister and I share an account and we both post really hot sims and I post really good lots but since the new update, we never get any downloads. Our gallery account is GNinja1270
    hope you all are smiling x
  • Options
    pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    Plantyl wrote: »
    zSdeyVW.png

No, it isn't. They didn't fix the actual problem.

At the moment, unless I missed something due to not being on Twitter, we have no indication that any of the SimGurus are aware of the problem this thread is about. :/ It would be nice to even just have a small confirmation that they've heard us and are looking into it.
  • Options
    Mandykay77Mandykay77 Posts: 21 Member
    > @horseygirl24 said:
    > Plantyl wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    > No, it isn't. They didn't fix the actual problem.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > At the moment, unless I missed something due to not being on Twitter, we have no indication that any of the SimGurus are aware of the problem this thread is about. :/ It would be nice to even just have a small confirmation that they've heard us and are looking into it.

Totally agree!
  • Options
    brittmspaceballsbrittmspaceballs Posts: 21 Member
    I always switch around and check out the newest stuff that's up. The "most popular" tab I feel like has been the same ever since I started playing S4 and I've started posting my own stuff so I enjoy seeing what else is new. I do agree the default should not be set to the popular. I check out the gallery a lot and I hadn't noticed the change.
  • Options
    brenleedeebrenleedee Posts: 427 Member
    I have few followers, but occasionally my builds would do pretty good. Put up two builds since this change, one has 20 something downloads...that is unbelievable, then I see the popular now category and some have 15,000 or more downloads at times. Talk about discouraging, this would surely cure any sims addiction :)
  • Options
    MarjiaMarjia Posts: 363 Member
    kreatora wrote: »
    @Marija
    The new decor is OK but it is like a makeup of corpse, which is still dead

LOL just saw this. Great description!

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2018
    brenleedee wrote: »
    I have few followers, but occasionally my builds would do pretty good. Put up two builds since this change, one has 20 something downloads...that is unbelievable, then I see the popular now category and some have 15,000 or more downloads at times. Talk about discouraging, this would surely cure any sims addiction :)
    The last part I don’t really understand but my Sims addiction has never been about how many people download my houses or sims. I do understand it can be discouraging, but not that it would influence the fun you have while playing the game in any way. I sort of regret this focus on ‘selling’ your stuff (encouraged by the way EA treats that aspect with their ‘YouTubers/influencers/gamechangers are so much more dedicated and important than you ordinary guys who pay for our stuff and play the game in silence’ attitude).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SchnuckSchnuck Posts: 20 Member
    > JoAnne65 said:

> I do understand it can be discouraging, but not that it would influence the fun you have while playing the game in any way.

(Please forgive my Forum quoting skills; I have none.)

Hi @JoAnne65 , I'd like to offer you another perspective on this. What constitutes game play for one may not be the same for another. I have little interest in sending my sims to space, popping out sim babies or plunging my sim's toilet, my game play IS building and sharing. I enjoy interacting with others in the gallery, I enjoy when people want to use my houses in their games. I view the creations in the gallery as art and it's always nice when your work is acknowledged and recognized and I enjoy acknowledging and admiring other's hard work. So, yes, changing the gallery default to where new creations are practically invisible does influence the fun I have while playing the game. Some people build houses, some people make sims, some people make individual rooms, some people create fantastic artwork and some people just play their sims..to each his own.
  • Options
    kreatorakreatora Posts: 557 Member
    edited August 2018
    Well said @Schnuck
    I have the same opinion on the subject as you. The international community of creators in the Gallery is much bigger as the one on this forum, but it has no voice and no one listens to it.
    My ID Origin kreatora
    Hero on EA AHQ
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Schnuck wrote: »
    > JoAnne65 said:

> I do understand it can be discouraging, but not that it would influence the fun you have while playing the game in any way.

(Please forgive my Forum quoting skills; I have none.)

Hi @JoAnne65 , I'd like to offer you another perspective on this. What constitutes game play for one may not be the same for another. I have little interest in sending my sims to space, popping out sim babies or plunging my sim's toilet, my game play IS building and sharing. I enjoy interacting with others in the gallery, I enjoy when people want to use my houses in their games. I view the creations in the gallery as art and it's always nice when your work is acknowledged and recognized and I enjoy acknowledging and admiring other's hard work. So, yes, changing the gallery default to where new creations are practically invisible does influence the fun I have while playing the game. Some people build houses, some people make sims, some people make individual rooms, some people create fantastic artwork and some people just play their sims..to each his own.
    You misunderstood me, let me explain. I didn't mean or wanted to imply there's just one way of playing the game. I reacted to the literal statement "this would surely cure any sims addiction." Any Sims addiction? No, it wouldn't affect my addiction in any way. So yes, I most definitely understand why it's discouraging when people love this aspect and maybe even just play the game to do that, but it doesn't cure any Sims addiction. In fact I was saying what you are saying: speak for yourself.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Guys, please don't start an argument. I'd hate for this thread to wind up closed, as I really want a SimGuru to see it (or whoever can help) and hopefully acknowledge & look into the issue. I understand not everyone is terribly concerned about the gallery, but the majority of us posting to the thread are, so please be respectful of that.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I am glad so many people are against this change!
    Just found out about this thread, I'll quote myself from another thread:
    I would also like to add my voice to the people that are not happy with "most popular now" being the default now. It means that simmers with less followers or likes get even less exposure and therefore less potential follows or likes. I find it also takes away the variety since "most popular" seem to always look the same, same style for sims with those (awful) cc poses and "perfect" looks and same type of builds: over the top, nice to look at but not practical to really play in.
    Having the "newest" as the default, brings the diversity and quirckiness that I think makes simmers such a special bunch and it should remain that way.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    Guys, please don't start an argument. I'd hate for this thread to wind up closed, as I really want a SimGuru to see it (or whoever can help) and hopefully acknowledge & look into the issue. I understand not everyone is terribly concerned about the gallery, but the majority of us posting to the thread are, so please be respectful of that.
    You're right, I apologize.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    brenleedeebrenleedee Posts: 427 Member
    edited August 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    brenleedee wrote: »
    The last part I don’t really understand but my Sims addiction has never been about how many people download my houses or sims. I do understand it can be discouraging, but not that it would influence the fun you have while playing the game in any way. I sort of regret this focus on ‘selling’ your stuff (encouraged by the way EA treats that aspect with their ‘YouTubers/influencers/gamechangers are so much more dedicated and important than you ordinary guys who pay for our stuff and play the game in silence’ attitude).

That was really a joke. I love the game and think it is incredible, the potential is unbelievable. I , like many posting on this thread love to build, that is what really keeps me coming back to the game. I've looked for other building games, there are really none on the market. The Sims offers amazing building opportunity, its basically up to the builder and their skills. (keywords "on their skills" hehe, mine are not as good as some) ;) I never emphasized that I was worried about the number of downloads I get, but I sure would like people to have the chance to view what I put out, so many good homes put out even yesterday, and no one had a chance to see them. You have to realize the majority of sims players probably are not even aware that this forum exists, and would not know their viewing choices have changed(my theory)

This change could clearly cure MY addiction to the sims...I guess that's how it should have been worded.

• Options
    LordkiribatiLordkiribati Posts: 201 Member
    sorry to ask guys but i really don't use the forums that much...do you know if tagging some admins / simgurus would help them seeing this thread? even if they don't fix this, it would be nice if they told us why they changed the default tab and what leads them to think it's an healthy decision for the gallery community.
  • Options
    sorry to ask guys but i really don't use the forums that much...do you know if tagging some admins / simgurus would help them seeing this thread? even if they don't fix this, it would be nice if they told us why they changed the default tab and what leads them to think it's an healthy decision for the gallery community.

I've thought about that, but I wouldn't really know who exactly would be the right person to tag. Perhaps someone else does.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited August 2018
    Has anyone tagged the gurus here or tweeted them on Twitter yet?

I haven’t logged into my Twitter in a while, but have any Guru talked about it there?
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Has anyone tagged the gurus here or tweeted them on Twitter yet?

I haven’t logged into my Twitter in a while, but have any Guru talked about it there?
    No, they haven't. :/
  • Options
    NindessaNindessa Posts: 29 Member
    EA doesn't care about the "common player", they just care about business, and free advertisement via YouTube creators is great for business. It's very discouraging to those small time creators, like myself, who don't have the means to advertise their creations on YouTube. Of course, gaining a following requires effort, but if your creations can't be found in the Gallery because it's in "Newest " and not "Popular Now", then all of your efforts were for naught.

I sincerely hope the SimGurus are made aware that the MAJORITY of the fanbase disagrees with "popular now" being the default tab, and of the plethora of other issues that plague the Gallery.
    ~When life gives you lemons, make orange juice! :) ~
    Origin ID: Nindessa
    Please visit my Basegame Sims Showcase!
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I definitely see it as a problem. Back when the default was set to Newest, my new builds would get atleast a few downloads after some time. Now, they would stay unrecognized if I wouldn't post about them in the forums. It's especially difficult for builders and creators who are not that popular (look at me, still only have 1 follower in the gallery, even though so many of my builds have 100+ downloads).

To be honest, the only ones who benefit from the new default are creators who were already popular before the update.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff