Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gallery being sorted by "Popular Now" by default is a problem

Comments

• Options
    MarjiaMarjia Posts: 363 Member

They didn't fix anything. It looks cluttered and all the Hashtags say #cityliving. How does that help anyone?
    Did they give us bigger Thumbnails, no. Did they let us take our own photos, No. Did they give us the option to disallow re-uploads, No.
    Talking about the interface, Why do i have to scroll down to find Windenburg? And the map of Newcrest is still wrong.
    Obviously, the Interface designer doesn't actually play the Sims.

Schnuck wrote: »

It's getting REALLY frustrating EA, would have been satisfied with the gallery just running smoothly and synced properly rather than changing stuff that didn't need to be changed.

• Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I don’t like it, it appears to favour those with a large following and will once again benefit game changers over ordinary Simmers who don’t have that title.

I agree, the "influencers" or "game changers" are the only people who benefit from this. Plus, EA is going out of their way to cater to them, giving them awards and now interviews on their streams. I don't understand this obsession with buttering them up. Back to the subject, I only started making and uploading stuff to the gallery, so I doubt anyone will find them now :(
  • Options
    bixters wrote: »

I agree, the "influencers" or "game changers" are the only people who benefit from this.

You'll be interested to know that the top builders agree with you and support you. A lot of players don't really understand the Gallery and will just look at the default page. This hurts everyone.

• Options
    simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member

Gosh, I hope they get all the gallery issues sorted out. I realize it's being worked on right now, which is great. I wonder if some of the low downloads right now are actually related to the fact that the gallery is still being worked on? I spent days and days building a huge mansion with tons of detail, landscaped, fully furnished and decorated, indoor pool, etc. etc. It got one download within the first 24 hours of being on the gallery, where I would normally get at least, like, 6 or 7 downloads (I don't have a lot of followers, so the download numbers on my newer things are really low), but I don't know if that's because of the new sorting or just because of the gallery glitches that are being worked on as we speak. It's so easy to switch to 'newest' rather than 'popular now' that I'm hopeful it won't really affect downloads that much, especially after gallery users become aware of it. I know that when I'm browsing the gallery, I've always looked at both the newest and the most popular before deciding what to download.
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    I have to admit that I don’t really use the gallery much. I do upload households and sometimes lots, but only as a backup for myself in case my library gets wiped. I do sometimes download houses though, and I find that I rarely download popular builds, the reason bring that they tend to all be too large for me (I prefer smaller houses). My favourite house that I have ever found on the gallery has relatively few downloads (about 150).

So, I’m all for giving the “less popular” creators a chance! It would actually benefit me by making the content I like easier to find, as they tend to be the ones building the smaller houses.
  • Options
    CommaSpliceCommaSplice Posts: 171 Member
    Artemisa02 wrote: »
    People with thousand of followers are happy now because they have creation uploaded before the Gallery change, thats means If some of that creation were at the most popular section, now people see more and that how they gain a lot of downlods but, as @kreatora says popular or not, you won't gets downloads if you share something new, no matter haw many followers you have, except of course, people like Deligraci or any other you tubers.

So, I decided to stop gaming/ building till the Gallery gets fixed, I hope the staff check this out and fix it soon as possible.

I have a total of 8 followers. Most of my lots get maybe 10-15 downloads. 1-5 faves. That's it. But since the gallery update, I'm seeing a lot more downloads on some of my builds. I suppose there could be other reasons, but I tend to build similar style homes and things.

• Options
    Artemisa02Artemisa02 Posts: 258 Member
    Artemisa02 wrote: »
    People with thousand of followers are happy now because they have creation uploaded before the Gallery change, thats means If some of that creation were at the most popular section, now people see more and that how they gain a lot of downlods but, as @kreatora says popular or not, you won't gets downloads if you share something new, no matter haw many followers you have, except of course, people like Deligraci or any other you tubers.

So, I decided to stop gaming/ building till the Gallery gets fixed, I hope the staff check this out and fix it soon as possible.

I have a total of 8 followers. Most of my lots get maybe 10-15 downloads. 1-5 faves. That's it. But since the gallery update, I'm seeing a lot more downloads on some of my builds. I suppose there could be other reasons, but I tend to build similar style homes and things.

I must say that the oldest things that I uploaded to the Gallery gain more downloads with the update, but what I'm trying to say its that the new things people don't see them, so if you uploaded something new right now you probably will get less downlods than before. I saw that with many good simmers with thousand of followers, they uploaded something after the update and get only a few downloads.

Most of my followers are builders, sims makers, so they can give me a fav but they won't download my stuff, I know because for example I'm a room builder and I don't download rooms only give favs.

So, to reach the top downloads, gives now to the cheaters more reasons to keep doing cheat and Maxis don't realize the bug about the downloads because it still working.
    anime_girl_signature_by_marisascarlet-d480fmk.jpg
    My original ID @Artemisa02
    For more check out my blog: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/artemisa02
    Check my Workshop
    MY WORKSHOP BY ARTEMISA02
  • Options
    @Artemisa02 don't quit. I am holding back on uploading now, but you can be sure I'm still designing everyday, i see a cute house on tv or driving down the road, or run across something or an idea comes to my mind, I have to create. Maybe hold up on sharing till this gets sorted. :)
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    This is getting ridiculous. I only spent a little time scrolling down the lots but now my cache is 26 Megabytes with 2,052 of thumbnail Gallery pictures. Keep clear of scrolling down and keep an eye on your cache is my advice.
  • Options
    kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    edited August 2018
    I'm actually really annoyed by this, I just went scrolling through newest and none of them have any downloads. I've uploaded a sim but I doubt I'm going to get any downloads when I usually do.
  • Options
    AilurophiletteAilurophilette Posts: 49 Member
    I think having the popular now as a default setting isn't working for anyone. Yes, if you have 2000 followers then i'm sure it's all good for you but for people like me (with literally 0 followers) it's not. I don't post to the gallery often but I certainly won't now, I mean what's the point if nobody even sees it? My suggestion is to have a choice on what you want as your default setting, that way nobody is unhappy. Stella xx
    Origin ID: Ailurophilette | The Honeycomb Legacy |
  • Options
    I have over 6000 followers and yesterday's upload only got 34 hits, so nobody saw it, evidently.
  • Options
    DoodlebeansDoodlebeans Posts: 75 Member
    I agree. It doesn't give much room for new creators to be appreciated, only the well-known creators will make it to the top :/
    FFRnSKf.png?3

id - simsofbutter
  • Options
    GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    Yes the creations in the popular now sections hits the top forexp.: I had one creation reach nearly 2000 downloads in 1 day, but my newest creation only have 2 downloads with 684 followers. So I want newest as default back.
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • Options
    lsnishilsnishi Posts: 2,714 Member
    I just went through the newest lots in the gallery and there were some stunners. And they only had one fave and maybe one download. Most lots had no downloads and no faves at all. It really is unfair to anyone uploading something new after the gallery update.

I was under the impression something could stay on the popular now for only one week. If so, what happens when all those uploads expire? Do all the items with a handful of downloads and faves now move up to the popular now? :* That will be very, very strange.
    PDWxp40.jpg
  • Options
    ShinzenShinzen Posts: 250 Member
    The gallery literally has the same sims and houses that it's had since it was changed, and the downloads are now up to like 40k per thing. I wish they would at least change it every day so people have a chance. It was nice when it was sorted by newest first, because I love finding new sims and builds.
    200px-MW-misc-House_Telvanni.png
  • Options
    Marjia wrote: »
    @Artemisa02 don't quit. I am holding back on uploading now, but you can be sure I'm still designing everyday, i see a cute house on tv or driving down the road, or run across something or an idea comes to my mind, I have to create. Maybe hold up on sharing till this gets sorted. :)

Thanks @Marjia for cheered me up :)

I must say that I shocked when I saw your last house with only 35 downloads, I was like "WTH?!!!" I follow you and I know that you gets more than 150 downloads on the first day.

I uploaded a sim after the update and I only recive 10 downloads on the first day, ok I know I'm not very good with sims but, how do you explain more than 15 favs that I recieve for that sim on the first day but only a few downloads, clearly the Gallery is not working well like before.

Anyways, I'll continue building maybe rooms, because I'm stuck with houses lol, and holding them till the Gallery fix again.
    Check my Workshop
  • Options
    RedSunBluesRedSunBlues Posts: 143 Member
    How is it that my newest build has 5 favorites and 0 downloads. That just doesn't make sense. I used to get 50+ downloads in a week on a new build and mauve 5 to 10 favorites and now im getting literally zero downloads. I spend a lot of time making things i think people will like and the popular now thing is making my builds virtually invisible. This isn't right and i think something is broken on top of that.
  • Options
    I'm lucky in that I like building and after 4 years have enough of my own Sims and Lots to use so I've turned off all connections that link me to the Gallery, Origin in game, notifications, sharing etc., etc and all that I can find in Options. The game is so much easier to load and play now so I'm going to stay like this for the couple of months I assume it might take to get back to normal!

I've never tried this before as I was a bit addicted to the Gallery and had accumulated eleven followers over the years so am going to play and see what the consequences in game are.
  • Options
    verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    This is getting ridiculous. I only spent a little time scrolling down the lots but now my cache is 26 Megabytes with 2,052 of thumbnail Gallery pictures. Keep clear of scrolling down and keep an eye on your cache is my advice.

Where is this cache? I have never checked my cache after looking at the gallery. I do tend to look on the website rather than through the game. More time to play and can look while at work lol
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • Options
    KelleygirlKelleygirl Posts: 599 Member
    As of this morning, nothing shows up in the gallery for me. The "gallery", "news", and my personal page all come up empty; as for my library, it shows the houses I've saved but shows nothing uploaded. I'm wondering how long it will take them to fix it? At this point, I don't mind so much if my own builds aren't seen by others, but I'd like to at least see everyone else's stuff.
  • Options
    kreatorakreatora Posts: 557 Member
    @Marija
    Marija, what is the sense of uploading houses now, when Galeria spoils every day, and our homes are not visible and are not downloaded. I received one download this morning and then nothing ... and now the Gallery is not available at all and it seems like it will be throughout the all weekend.
    The new decor is OK but it is like a makeup of corpse, which is still dead
    My ID Origin kreatora
    Hero on EA AHQ
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    kreatora wrote: »
    The new decor is OK but it is like a makeup of corpse, which is still dead

LOL ... best description of the new Gallery!

At least some of the Gurus were saying that they are "ivestigating what are happening".

I will still building but not uploading until they finnaly fix that thing, hope it don't take long.
    Check my Workshop
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    verlainem wrote: »

Where is this cache? I have never checked my cache after looking at the gallery. I do tend to look on the website rather than through the game. More time to play and can look while at work lol

@verlainem I play on PC and my cache is in C:\Users\My name removed. your name will appear here instead\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 . If you right click cache and select properties in Windows, (that is) it will tell you how big it is. You can delete the contents from time to time if it gets too big.

PS: I've just been playing offline for a couple of hours and it is only 26.5 kilobytes so playing offline does make a difference for me.
  • Options
    pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    edited August 2018
    verlainem wrote: »

@verlainem I play on PC and my cache is in C:\Users\My name removed. your name will appear here instead\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 . If you right click cache and select properties in Windows, (that is) it will tell you how big it is. You can delete the contents from time to time if it gets too big.

PS: I've just been playing offline for a couple of hours and it is only 26.5 kilobytes so playing offline does make a difference for me.

Strange- it must be saving gallery thumbnails for some and not for others. I've never cleared my cache, and all of my cache files are empty even though I've scrolled through the gallery several times since the update.