Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

modifying skin tone?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm adding these old instructions(Windows 7/to Windows 10) for updating Intel drivers. In case someone else needs the how to info. Before anyone updates a driver normally you are supposed to remove the older driver. Not just add a new one. However, you wouldn't do this if you don't have any VGA driver (MS) left in there until you install a new driver. (This happens if you built your pc and it didn't come from a manufacturer> they wouldn't have a VGA driver to fall back on).

I would advise before anyone updates to a new driver(since some new drivers to any card may cause more problems than it was worth) to always create a restore point so they can undo any changes to system settings and drivers etc. they installed. If you never do, then one day you may find out you wish you had. Some newer drivers really aren't worth updating to, for many diff. cards as I recently experienced with a new driver for AMD.

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/solutions-to-fix-intelr-hd-graphics-driver-issues-after-windows-10-update/

ETA: @fewlines, have you ever used ipiccy to lighten the skins or the outfits in your game? This also looks like when players have used ipiccy(photo editor) to lighten a skin but forgot to lighten both the head and body or vs versa.

To add to this:

Graphics card drivers are one thing that you don't have to keep updated unless you're wanting to play the latest and greatest games.

You can put off installing new graphics card drivers until you get a new card; install a new, just recently release game; or start having problems that point to graphics issues.

All computers come with a VERY basic graphics card driver installed in the motherboard. It's how people who build their own card can install the graphics card driver in the first place. Need to be able to see in order to install it, after all.

I built my own PC and I know my motherboard has a basic graphics card in it. Found out that at some point, I accidentally plugged my monitor into that card (and then wondered why my FPS in an MMO was abysmal).
  • Options
    fewlinesfewlines Posts: 1,488 Member
    edited July 2018
    hey @Cinebar, i haven't, i didn't even know about ipiccy! LOL.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2018
    What last EP/SP do you have installed? I looked at your pics again, and maybe you need some patches to the individual EPs? Because I didn't see any outifts in your PJ CAS pic that showed any later EP pjs etc. (past Beyond Seasons' PJs)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    What last EP/SP do you have installed? I looked at your pics again, and maybe you need some patches to the individual EPs? Because I didn't see any outifts in your PJ CAS pic that showed any later EP pjs etc. (past Beyond Seasons' PJs)

The hair the female has is an Apartment Life hair. So she has at least that EP.
  • Options
    Seera1024 wrote: »

I was thinking maybe she doesn't have TS2UC and needs all the EP patches, and Family Fun patch, and The base game patch.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options

I was thinking maybe she doesn't have TS2UC and needs all the EP patches, and Family Fun patch, and The base game patch.

She has the base game patch. All EP's force the base game to be patched in order to be installed.

But asking what's the last EP she has installed wouldn't get if she's got the UC or not. Those who have a selection but have Apartment Life and those with the UC all would answer that question the same.
  • Options
    yes, i do have UC!
  • Options
    edited July 2018

She has the base game patch. All EP's force the base game to be patched in order to be installed.

But asking what's the last EP she has installed wouldn't get if she's got the UC or not. Those who have a selection but have Apartment Life and those with the UC all would answer that question the same.

Where did you hear that? No, not all versions on disc require the base game to be patched. If anyone installs any disc from before 2005 they won't even have the base game patch. It wasn't included until 2005. And each EP has to be patched individually and not all fixes are carried over into new EPs (later EPs.) (That's why all patches have to be installed).

But good to know she has the UC so we can try to continue to help her with her graphics issues. An Intel 4000/4500HD (released in 2015) chip should be able to play this game.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    thank you! i appreciate your time. :)
  • Options

Where did you hear that? No, not all versions on disc require the base game to be patched. If anyone installs any disc from before 2005 they won't even have the base game patch. It wasn't included until 2005. And each EP has to be patched individually and not all fixes are carried over into new EPs (later EPs.) (That's why all patches have to be installed).

But good to know she has the UC so we can try to continue to help her with her graphics issues. An Intel 4000/4500HD (released in 2015) chip should be able to play this game.

My own experiences with trying to install the first released EP on my previous Windows 7 desktop.

I'd install University and it would get to a verification step and fail out. My guess is the installer on the disc was trying to pull the patch from the now defunct Sims 2 site. Which would cause the installer to uninstall everything including the base game.

Once I got the patch for the base game installed, I was able to install University. And for every EP I installed afterward it would say that everything is up to date.

I did not mean to imply that the EP discs all came with the base game patch. Just that it had a check put into place to ensure that the base game was patched and if it wasn't that it would attempt to download and install the patch. Which of course currently fails due to the Sims 2 site not being up anymore.
  • Options
    We never had to be online to patch TS2 for anything. You could save the patches to your HDD and install them later. Any disc after the first batch of discs released had already been patched with base game patch. It came out pretty quick. (Compared to today's patches). I guess I'm going off topic I was just wanting to know if any missing patch may be causing her problem and I assume she said she didn't have any custom skins in game, or eyebrows or makeup that could cause this glitch without realizing it.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    @fewlines let me ask a silly question. When you open bodyshop (not CAS for those who don't know) do these Sims have a different head tone than body tone when you put these outfits on them in there? I'm curious if we can change your Graphics Rule Sgr. file and set bump mapping to on and some numbers to zero (explain later) if that would help you.

ETA: The following link is about how to fix things blurred in bodyshop etc. However, it just might fix your Sims skin tones, too.

https://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Your-Bodyshop-Settings-in-Sims2
  • Options
    We never had to be online to patch TS2 for anything. You could save the patches to your HDD and install them later. Any disc after the first batch of discs released had already been patched with base game patch. It came out pretty quick. (Compared to today's patches). I guess I'm going off topic I was just wanting to know if any missing patch may be causing her problem and I assume she said she didn't have any custom skins in game, or eyebrows or makeup that could cause this glitch without realizing it.

You still aren't understanding what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is that when install an EP or an SP it does a check to see if the base game is patched. Unless a player was re-installing their game or installing it onto another computer, they were patched and the installer went to the next step. However for the player re-installing the game for whatever reason or installing it onto a new computer and did not patch before installing the first EP, the game would find the base game unlatched and would attempt to download it. I've got the initial run discs for all EPs and the base game. And either way disc or on the internet, since she has EPs installed, even if she wasn't using the UC, her base game would be patched.

@fewlines Would it be possible for you to screenshot or tell us what your graphics settings are in game? If you've posted it before, I missed it.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    hi, @Cinebar, i never use body shop and it's been a while since i last edited the graphics rules file... i'm going to take a look at the link you posted, thank you.

and hi, @Seera1024, settings are on Medium for shadows, lighting and graphic effects. Sims, objects and texture details are on High.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    fewlines wrote: »
    hi, @Cinebar, i never use body shop and it's been a while since i last edited the graphics rules file... i'm going to take a look at the link you posted, thank you.

and hi, @Seera1024, settings are on Medium for shadows, lighting and graphic effects. Sims, objects and texture details are on High.

Changing what it says to do may help, just reaching for straws here. I may have already said anytime you change your driver or go back to an old one you have to change the Config and CSConfig files again with graphics rule maker. If you haven't done it more than once since you changed to a new one then went back to an old one.

ETA: I think you said you didn't have any custom content. O.K. did you put back in any saved hoods and or Saved Sim file? That's my last idea. You could have something in an old Saved Sims file in your files and not even realize but I think it's pretty much a graphic area, but never know until exhausted everything.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    yes, there's probably some graphics settings/issue that's wrong there, but... why it would suddenly change the way skin looks, i have no clue. since the drivers were up-to-date when i checked, i kept those and the graphics rules i had been using/had no issues with before this started.

and that's right, no CC! no previously saved 'hoods or Sims either--i actually started over so i could test everything with a brand new game.

i'll add those modifications from the page you linked me to ASAP (going through a bit of a health issue ATM--not feeling Focused, ha) and let you know! thanks!
    Post edited by fewlines on
  • Options
    I hope you are well very soon! like today! :)
  • Options
    thank you so much, @Cinebar! unfortunately, it's a chronic pain issue, so... some days are better (well, or worse, heh) than others.

it's a good thing i have my music and Sims to distract me. :)