Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you want story progression?

Comments

• Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited July 2018
    Only if we can toggle it off
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I feel about no SP like others feel about yes SP. It’s spoiling the experience, I don’t feel like my sims are living in an actual world (that includes Sims 3 after they got rid of it and before I discovered mastercontroller). This game is only good with no SP when you like playing rotational. Not everyone does. If you’d be angry when they’d implement SP, maybe you can understand a little how those who do want SP feel without it.

...But it would change the game I have invested in the beginning. It brought me back into the Sims after the Sims 3 where I felt left out. One of the reasons I got into Sims 4 was because it did NOT have SP.

If you’re upset by lack of SP, then you would need to consider those of us who do not always want forced SP, too. It’s a never ending circle.

It goes both ways, and the best way to appease both sides is to provide options and toggles.

ETA: We can only hope the devs can do better job with SP than they did with Sim 3 and even better than the sims’ emotions and whims AI in Sims 4....
    Post edited by LatinaBunny on
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I feel like I've answered this already recently, but sure, only if I can toggle it off for my own Sims. Townies though I do want them to progress on their own since I do that manually with every death cycle.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    ...Actually... Didn’t Sims 4 attempted to do something like Story Progression-like?

The Culling, the (weird glitch?) that gave unemployed Sims a random job, the giving of Sims random love crushes, even when they were married, etc?

I’m glad they fixed the random lovebirds thing.

So I wonder how they would do actual Story Progession? Especially if they didn’t give some of us choices (like the random romantic love interests situation)?

I hope they give us (those of us who don’t really like SP too much) player agency, if they put in full-on actual SP. I really do.

ETA: I don’t mind some bits of SP, but it needs to be done really good and provide good options like the SP mods.
    Post edited by LatinaBunny on
    (She/her)
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Only if I can get a detailed set of customization options to dictate how it works in my own game. I don't like how TS4's quasi-story progression system makes played sims from my inactive played households make new friends, enemies, and love interests when I'm not playing them. However, I also know that there are players who enjoy having a persistent world that evolves around their active household--their own played sims in other households included--and are delighted by the surprise of coming back to a household, only to find that the husband now has strong romantic feelings for some random townie. A comprehensive suite of settings for this feature is the only way to please everyone...THE ONLY WAY.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    KJBKJB Posts: 173 Member
    Yes
    Yes, for my unplayed sims.
    0G9Un6T.gif
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited July 2018
    Yes
    The question is ‘do we want story progression’, not ‘do we want Sims 3’s crippled version of story progression’ (so crippled that after a few years they patched it out of the game). And I think it’s a misconception people who like story progression in their game want the game to be a tv show. Unplanned stuff happening around your sim isn’t like watching a tv show at all, on the contrary, because for players who love that (I for instance don’t care to play rotational at all, for me that would be a bore) it’s in fact the surprises that hand the gameplay. When the girl I had put into my game to become the love interest of my sim appeared to be pregnant after a sim week, I had to deal with that (I loved it and decided to raise the kid). Because it’s the player who will have to decide how their own sims are going to react. Unlike a tv show where everything’s scripted by others, including the lives of the main characters.

You explain this perfectly. Thank you. :)

I love when there are interesting and surprising developments in the game -- things that my played Sims get to react to. Those things spark interest and motivate me to turn my game in unexpected, but ultimately satisfying, directions.
    agustd wrote: »

...We all want something different from the game but that's why we should be calling for options, not cancelling features important to others. I don't like supernaturals but if I had the power to somehow, magically influence EA decision makers to never ever include them in the series again I would never decide to do that.

Exactly.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    No
    ...Actually... Didn’t Sims 4 attempted to do something like Story Progression-like?

The Culling, the (weird glitch?) that gave unemployed Sims a random job, the giving of Sims random love crushes, even when they were married, etc?

I’m glad they fixed the random lovebirds thing.

So I wonder how they would do actual Story Progession? Especially if they didn’t give some of us choices (like the random romantic love interests situation)?

I hope they give us (those of us who don’t really like SP too much) player agency, if they put in full-on actual SP. I really do.

ETA: I don’t mind some bits of SP, but it needs to be done really good and provide good options like the SP mods.

Totally. Sims 4 still does have a bit of story progression, and I have unplayed Sims that I created showing up in random jobs to fill a role that I don't want. Then when I actually want a Sim in a specific role, like working in a restaurant or bar or retail or spa, etc... I don't have that choice. The Sims 4 story progression, in my opinion, is backwards. It doesn’t work correctly now, so I don't understand what makes people think it will function appropriately with even more of it programmed in.

But if there was a sturdy "off" toggle built in and made as the default, I could deal with it. Granted, I'm sure I'd be dealing with all of the bugs, too. But at least that choice would (theoretically) be better than no choice at all.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2018
    Yes
    Cupid wrote: »
    This game is only good with no SP when you like playing rotational.
    I don't play rotationally and would not like SP. I don't think it's necessarily about playing rotationally vs not playing rotationally.
    That means nobody in your world evolves is what I meant. No babies, no marriages. The only way to make that happen is when you rotate. When you’re ok with that, more power to you, but it’s as dictating and determining as a neighborhood that is evolving (which people consider ‘the game playing itself’). I feel sorry for all the brothers and sisters of my heir I sent out there who never met the love of their life and never had kids. It feels totally unnatural to me.

P.s. And nobody getting a job. Indeed, Sims 4 does that and I loved it, when my sim became a scientist, one of her colleagues turned out to be a sim I had played before and who I had put in the new save. I simply fail to see how that’s a bad thing. If you hate the guy being a scientist for some reason, hop over to his household and make him choose another profession. Easy as pie.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Yes
    I feel about no SP like others feel about yes SP. It’s spoiling the experience, I don’t feel like my sims are living in an actual world (that includes Sims 3 after they got rid of it and before I discovered mastercontroller). This game is only good with no SP when you like playing rotational. Not everyone does. If you’d be angry when they’d implement SP, maybe you can understand a little how those who do want SP feel without it.

...But it would change the game I have invested in the beginning. It brought me back into the Sims after the Sims 3 where I felt left out. One of the reasons I got into Sims 4 was because it did NOT have SP.

If you’re upset by lack of SP, then you would need to consider those of us who do not always want forced SP, too. It’s a never ending circle.

It goes both ways, and the best way to appease both sides is to provide options and toggles.

ETA: We can only hope the devs can do better job with SP than they did with Sim 3 and even better than the sims’ emotions and whims AI in Sims 4....
    I consider those (which is why a toggle is best), but I have a feeling people consider no SP the way it should be because ‘you rule’. That I fail to see, because for me it’s so far off reality that I’d even go as far as calling it a flaw in the life simulation concept. Again, when you like to play rotational, you can make sure the whole neighborhood develops. But when you don’t (like me), there’s no real society.

I don’t really understand what people mean when they say they were left out in Sims 3. The game has a toggle. Apparently it didn’t work in the beginning of the game but they fixed that at one point. Plus in 2012 they removed every autonomous marrying and getting babies all together. Without NRaas SP towns die out in Sims 3 as well.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    AshleyAOAshleyAO Posts: 62 Member
    Yes
    I think this would be a great addition to the game. I know many people use MCCC to get around this, but if it was implemented in the game itself, I think it would add a lot more volume to the game.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Well, we have totally different playstyles, obviously. I loved Sims 1 and Sims 2 more, and I still consider them to be life simulator games. (Though I also consider them also like dollhouse and archecture games, too.)

I’m going to defend and fight for my playstyle. Maybe I should vote NO next time in another SP poll.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Yes
    Well, we have totally different playstyles, obviously. I loved Sims 1 and Sims 2 more, and I still consider them to be life simulator games. (Though I also consider them also like dollhouse and archecture games, too.)

I’m going to defend and fight for my playstyle. Maybe I should vote NO next time in another SP poll.
    By playstyle you mean playing rotational? Or do you stick to one household like me?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I’m defending my rotational style, of course, if SP is introduced. I need those options or a cheat toggle or no go.

It seems some people here don’t care about pure rotational playstyles*, so...

*ETA: If the “Yes” represents no toggles or choices.

I wanted to be fair and do toggles, but it seems in this poll, my rotational play will be taken away.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Yes

By playstyle you mean playing rotational? Or do you stick to one household like me?

I’m defending my rotational style, of course, if SP is introduced. I need those options or a cheat toggle or no go.

I wanted to be fair and do toggles, but it seems in this poll, my rotational play will be taken away.
    I totally understand why SP stands in the way of rotational play though and when you play rotational your town does develop (by your own hand and I fully understand why it’s no fun at all and bothersome when the game starts deciding things for you in such a game and of course that’s life simulation). What I was referring to, was the situation where you don’t rotate and there is no SP.

Bottom line: toggles are best. The ‘yes’ doesn’t represent “no toggles”, it represents the answer to “do you want SP in your game”. I do myself so if it’s there I have it enabled, hence the yes ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2018

I totally understand why SP stands in the way of rotational play though and when you play rotational your town does develop (by your own hand and I fully understand why it’s no fun at all and bothersome when the game starts deciding things for you in such a game. What I was referring to, was the situation where you don’t rotate and there is no SP.

Bottom line: toggles are best ;)

I think I could sort of see people do non-rotational with no SP in Sims 4. I’ve played some families for a long time because I’m trying to accomplish everything with just one family.

Pretty much almost of my families in all f my Sims games never went past the two generations, and I’m still playing many of them.

I just fill in empty lots, and there are some generations I never touched again and just keep playing with the main family.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Now that I think about it. There were long periods of time in the old Sims games where I just kicked out a next generation and just kept playing with the original immortal family generation, lol...

So I could see some ways to not actually play the other sims and keep playing your own. You can add sims and just never touch them. Or just build houses. Or just explore ways to kills sims, and then replace the dead ones, and so on.

Might be unusual (and maybe not optimal?), though, lol.

ETA: ... I’ve done the replacing dead sims and kept on playing on the same lot thing before, lol. :lol:
    (She/her)
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Yes

I totally understand why SP stands in the way of rotational play though and when you play rotational your town does develop (by your own hand and I fully understand why it’s no fun at all and bothersome when the game starts deciding things for you in such a game. What I was referring to, was the situation where you don’t rotate and there is no SP.

I could see people do non-rotational with no SP in Sims 4. I’ve played some families for a long time because I’m trying to accomplish everything with just one family.

Pretty much almost of my families in all f my Sims games never went past the two generations, and I’m still playing many of them!
    Maybe if you completely focus on your own family and aren’t interested what happens around them it won’t bother you. But when the world outside your sim’s window does interest you and is part of your story, it matters everything constantly stays the same.

My point is, you say you’d be angry if SP was forced on you (which, to be clear, I definitely would not want). But can’t you see no SP is forcing something on simmers like me too?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

I could see people do non-rotational with no SP in Sims 4. I’ve played some families for a long time because I’m trying to accomplish everything with just one family.

Pretty much almost of my families in all f my Sims games never went past the two generations, and I’m still playing many of them!
    Maybe if you completely focus on your own family and aren’t interested what happens around them it won’t bother you. But when the world outside your sim’s window does interest you and is part of your story, it matters everything constantly stays the same.

My point is, you say you’d be angry when SP was forced on you. But can’t you see no SP is forcing something on simmers like me too?

Yes, but Sims 4 didn’t have much SP in the first place, which is what attracted me, so SP with no options like some simmers are suggesting on this thread means that my playstyle would be forced out.

I’m tired of repeating myself, and I’m getting upset, so I’m going to excuse myself from this thread. I’ll just cast my vote next time and not say anything next poll.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Yes
    I’m sorry you feel that way, because it only means I fail to get across what I mean. I most certainly don’t want to upset anyone (I’m only sharing what I want for this game). Me loving SP in the game (and missing it when it’s not there and believe me, right now there isn’t a difference between Sims 3 and 4 in this respect) and therefore voting yes is not meant to upset people with other playing styles or opinions, nor to exclude players that disagree with that. I regret tbh that people get accused of not granting others their playing style just by answering a question in a way that applies to them personally. I see nobody minding people filled in ‘no’, I don’t mind? I can perfectly understand why people wouldn’t want SP. I also don’t understand why it would be ok to get angry if they would implement SP, but it’s quite acceptable when there is none. Should I get angry about no SP? I’m not. It is as it is and I’ll have to accept it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited July 2018
    I would only want SP if it was done like MCCC.

But as I don’t imagine it would be as in-depth as that and I don’t imagine it being a toggle. Although I can dream.

I love rotational play and one household play. I adapt depending on the game (sims 2 or 3) Currently sims 4 doesnt suit either feature fully. Rotational is not as good as sims 2 due to sims learning skills that maybe I don’t want them to, making friends when it makes no sense (my evil sim was extremely popular) and having to rotate at specific times to avoid sims not going to work or school.

It doesn’t suit single house house play as after a few generations your starting households are gone and you have a town full of ghosts.

Edit to add now that I’ve played more of the sims 4 lately than I usually would, I would actually change my answer to yes I want SP. Just because it would be better than the current set up with poor rotational play and your towns dying without it.
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member

But as I don’t imagine it would be as in-depth as that and I don’t imagine it being a toggle. Although I can dream.

I love rotational play and one household play. I adapt depending on the game (sims 2 or 3) Currently sims 4 doesnt suit either feature fully. Rotational is not as good as sims 2 due to sims learning skills that maybe I don’t want them to, making friends when it makes no sense (my evil sim was extremely popular) and having to rotate at specific times to avoid sims not going to work or school.

It doesn’t suit single house house play as after a few generations your starting households are gone and you have a town full of ghosts.

Edit to add now that I’ve played more of the sims 4 lately than I usually would, I would actually change my answer to yes I want SP. Just because it would be better than the current set up with poor rotational play and your towns dying without it.

When everyone in an unplayed, housed family in your town dies, isn't the game supposed to "replace it" with a brand new, game generated household? I'm not sure about it, because I've been using MCCC's SP for such a long time.

I think game assigning your sims random jobs, them autonomously getting lovebird statuses with townies and such is actually the story progression gurus talked about once, when they said TS4 does have some form of it. Too bad the way they decided to go about it is pretty much the opposite of what people wanted. Some say it was a glitch, and some say it was by design, but I remember around 2016 my game was plagued by cheating. I'd switch to a household I haven't played for a few hours and a sim would have like 3 romance bars with random townies I didn't recall ever interacting with.
  • Options
    Yes

Sims skilling while you don’t play them even is a form of SP Sims 3 doesn’t have. I’d personally like that (because I don’t play rotational, though I wouldn’t want it to go too fast) but less and less do I understand why Sims 3 is being brought up as the SP game, when Sims 4 indeed does it too. Skilling, getting romantically involved (unlike Sims 2 and 3 not bothering about sexual orientation), getting jobs, it’s all in there.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    agustd wrote: »

When everyone in an unplayed, housed family in your town dies, isn't the game supposed to "replace it" with a brand new, game generated household? I'm not sure about it, because I've been using MCCC's SP for such a long time.

I think game assigning your sims random jobs, them autonomously getting lovebird statuses with townies and such is actually the story progression gurus talked about once, when they said TS4 does have some form of it. Too bad the way they decided to go about it is pretty much the opposite of what people wanted. Some say it was a glitch, and some say it was by design, but I remember around 2016 my game was plagued by cheating. I'd switch to a household I haven't played for a few hours and a sim would have like 3 romance bars with random townies I didn't recall ever interacting with.

I think it’s meant to, but I don’t often see that. My game is vanilla now. What I do see is the ghosts of Paulo and his club partying a lot. I know I can delete them but I find that a pain to remember to do that.

Yeah I remember that issue with the sims doing that too romancing anything. I think that was one of the things that made install MCCC. It probably is what the Gurus are referring to with basic SP but to me it just feels very random to the point it spoiled things more than anything, like for example my Evil Sim having a ton of friends. I left my sim for two days and he had maxed the wellness skill and changed his job.

That’s why I liked MCCC’s version. It didn’t touch my sims.

To be fair to sims 3 as well the SP there is largely mute now. I was talking about this with someone else earlier. I can’t remember the last time any of my sims in 3 got married or had babies in my absence.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Yes
    I can, it was in my 11th generation, which I played halfway 2011. I blamed the fact I moved my next heir to a Store world then for the first time, after playing in Sunset Valley and Riverview. Turned out that wasn’t the cause though, so my guess now is they patched it out.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    I use MCCC and love the customization--at this point, I'm not sure I'd be willing to settle for something with fewer options.