Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things that could be improved about seasons

Comments

• Options
    MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    edited June 2018
    - Also on holidays and traditions: it seems like every sim in the household has to do the traditions in order to get them checked from their lists. That means that if a tradition is for example "invite guests" each household member needs to invite guests in order to achieve said tradition. That is beyond silly! (or maybe is a bug?)

Hopefully it's a bug, but it also sounds similar to TS3 situation (at least for me). When a Sim gets a wish to throw a seasonal party, it would only count if it's the said Sim who does the interaction of planning and inviting guest. A bit of shame, especially that usually most of family member get such wish.
    So, could be a bug, but not necessary.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    - Also on holidays and traditions: it seems like every sim in the household has to do the traditions in order to get them checked from their lists. That means that if a tradition is for example "invite guests" each household member needs to invite guests in order to achieve said tradition. That is beyond silly! (or maybe is a bug?)

Hopefully it's a bug, but it also sound similar to TS3 situation (at least for me). When a Sim gets a wish to throw a seasonal party, it would only count if it's the said Sim who does the interaction of planning and inviting guest. A bit of shame, especially that usually most of family member get such wish.
    So, could be a bug, but not necessary.

*fingers crossed for it being a bug*
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Yes I noticed the guest thing too. Very annoying.
  • Options
    AndreaTheHeroAndreaTheHero Posts: 578 Member
    If the seasons could have been three weeks long we could have had a week for every month. Not a big deal but would have been nice.

Some pet traditions would have been nice, as well as some more specific things like ice skating or roast weenies. Fire and exercise work but are too generic. More icons for the holidays as well.

Also would have loved tans but I’m fine without it.
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Just a few things I noticed...

Sims standing in the rain even with free will on until they are soaked.. instead of going inside
    Kids can't change the thermostat
    No permanent setting on the thermostat and we keep having to change it (ugh). Couldn't find a way to see what the temperature is inside either?
    Couldn't find the 'holiday decorations' category in buy mode
    Umbrellas don't show in Sims inventory so you have no way to know if that Sim picked one up yet or not
    I haven't seen my Sims autonomously play on the swingset yet :(

-Also my Sims seem to forget what bed is theirs and keep going to sleep in a random one...

-Haven't had any problem with Sims just standing out in thee rain. That sounds like you might have simulation lag possibly?

-Who needs kids playing with the thermostat? XD I remember my grandad would tell me to never touch it. The option would still be nice

-Temperature seems to be based on how it is outside when I played around with it. The sims don't seem to be too effected if I don't have a thermostat installed.

-I just filter it by Seasons and clicking 'Show all'. The holiday decorations tab seems to only appear when a holiday comes up and gives you suggestions to what to use for that holiday when the pop up comes up.

-Would like to see an umbrella in their inventory usually I'll click on the umbrella stand to make sure my sim had one. Which is odd because you'll get a broken umbrella in your inventory if you sims umbrella breaks.

-Kids have definitely been playing on the swingset autonomously and older sims too especially when I went to thee park.

-Did you have your Sims claim a bed when you clicked on it? I haven't heard of this problem with the beds having to be reclaimed.

Lol, I like how you made excuses even for things that are known bugs that even the developers admitted to. The bed issue is a MAJOR one.....its been an issue for TONS of people and it is in the official bug thread and has even been confirmed by the gurus. Liking or even loving a game is wonderful, but sitting here making excuses and turning a blind eye to actual issues is what causes major issues in the franchise. It doesn't help anything. Also, bugs do not occur with everyone, thats not how programming works, so just because you have not experienced a bug does not mean its not widespread.......
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    CK213 wrote: »
    Some trees and plants from stuff packs don't have a seasonal versions. Well spring anyway, as that is my first season that I am playing.
    They remain green and colorful as other flora are drab colored or leafless.

There are also objects that don't get covered in snow.

ie the scarecrow, which is a HUGE oversight. Its literally an object that is placed during winter months and yet there is no snow accumulation on it or the tree that it sits on.....just odd. Also Pets do not really react to weather at all even though Grant said they would. They more or less just meander around aimlessly.
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I noticed the bed issue as well.

Not automatically changing their clothes, I wasn't paying attention & the kids actually went to school in their PJs!

I would really rather they didn't autonomously light the fireplace, especially not in when the weather's warm.

Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    Schantal wrote: »
    Some trees and plants from stuff packs don't have a seasonal versions. Well spring anyway, as that is my first season that I am playing.

ie the scarecrow, which is a HUGE oversight. Its literally an object that is placed during winter months and yet there is no snow accumulation on it or the tree that it sits on.....just odd. Also Pets do not really react to weather at all even though Grant said they would. They more or less just meander around aimlessly.

I could understand that the scarecrow itself doesn't get covered because of his ability to come to life. But it's in fact weird that there's no snow on its tree. Maybe there's some heating so it won't be cold when it's finally woken up :tongue:
  • Options
    ahoychristieahoychristie Posts: 88 Member
    edited June 2018
    It's definitely been said before, but I can't get over how little traditions there are. It must have just looked like there were heaps when reading the lists before the release and now it's like one scroll, and that's it. Also, I love how they clarified that they were just showing "only the base game and seasons" traditions as if there were more. So if you have city living, you get a tradition with fireworks too.. what else? They could have done more like "make art/crafts" or "craft something" and more feast options instead of only having the grand meal.. Right now I'm trying to do a "winter solstice" holiday a week before christmas, and I've got
    - Baking
    - Festive Spirit
    - Fire
    - Drinking
    - Festive lighting

It's okay I guess. And I know it's winter solstice so I could do the polar bear plunge and party spirit for the dancing, but just wish we had a little bit more. Like I'm surprised there's not "play in the snow" traditions. I guess we'll have to rely on mods and maybe more packs that come with more traditions. Not many icons either. Thought there would at least be seasonal icons like a snowflake. Super minor but anyway. I'm yet to experience some of the other issues and the bugs that have been found. I was one of the first to be able to play seasons but while everyone was preparing a house weeks in advance, I decided to move so I've been playing interior designer pretty much since I got it haha. I did notice there was major lag when doing wallpaper though? I run sims on a very expensive gaming laptop and everything else is fine, so it has to be the game itself :/
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2018
    -There's no tradition for "eating" only for grand meal or bbq. But if I want to make burrito day for example, it doesn't count as a tradition because is not part of the very restrictive "grand meal" menu. Why not having a tradition that is just eating, like there is the drinking one?
    - There's not enough traditions to make very unique holidays, I hope they keep adding like they do with the club activities.

Yep I made a thread on this exact thing after getting the game. There are not enough traditions or icons.
  • Options
    RexZhengRexZheng Posts: 201 Member

My dog ran into the rain and played in the rain with a bubble of an image of cloud; and then when the rain gets heavy he ran into the house with a bubble of water.
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member

Surely they can just be fixed by patch, just add a layer of white paint on the surface and wallah.....
    y'all got bread?
  • Options
    Le0HeartLe0Heart Posts: 154 Member
    I thought you were able to plan hang outs in advance for example if I wanted to get breakfast with Sim but I only see it as if you’re going to throw a party
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Less rain. Aren't there any light rains or drizzles? Must everyday be a thunderstorm? I could do with half of the setting.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Less rain. Aren't there any light rains or drizzles? Must everyday be a thunderstorm? I could do with half of the setting.

When I get the pack, I actually WANT thunderstorms! I hope they don't tone it down. I love a good thunder-boomer and I don't get them often enough where I live.
  • Options
    Skellington7dSkellington7d Posts: 16 Member
    On a hot day, especially in a desert climate like Oasis Springs, the clothesline should not take all day to dry. It would probably be faster than the dryer.
  • Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    1. I agree with the simmer above me. Eating regular food should be an activity. Some of my festivals center around certain foods. Maybe Dia de los Muertos means your sim cooks the Pan de Muerto bread.

2. More event icons. For starters, I'd like seasonal icons like a sun, flower, autumn leaf, and snowflake for events in those seasons that should stand out from the regular ones. I would also like all activity icons to be available for the main event icon. So you could have say, the exercise bike, as the icon that shows on your main calendar.

3. When you are creating a new holiday, I wish we could add a description of our events where the exterior decoration text is located under the main Holiday Name. The description box could still contain that explanation, but allow us to click inside the text box, delete it, and add our own text.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »

When I get the pack, I actually WANT thunderstorms! I hope they don't tone it down. I love a good thunder-boomer and I don't get them often enough where I live.

Play in Brindleton Bay. It rained 12 1/2 days out of 14. Which would be alright if it was different degrees of rain, but it was all full on thunder and lightning and the wrath of the Watcher. My dog stayed frightened the entire time. Lightning hit my house at least a dozen times, once zapping a sim inside my house.
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    @JesseJay don't worry my thermostat stayed on until I turned it off, which makes me nervous
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    @Schantal the only time my sims "forget" about their beds is after woohoo
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited June 2018

I am only in winter, but I noticed they actually are effected when the temperature outside is extreme. When it was freezing, my toddler got really really cold in her room which finally forced me to turn on the heat.

Did you have the thermostat installed before hand? I haven't gotten any freezing weather and I already went through Winter. :open_mouth:

My thermostat was left off the whole time too less I noticed my sims were getting cold inside. I might have try winter again and see if I get an extreme weather. I got a weird 'mysterious weather' though. Some sims seemed to be hot and others cold? It was pretty weird.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »

Play in Brindleton Bay. It rained 12 1/2 days out of 14. Which would be alright if it was different degrees of rain, but it was all full on thunder and lightning and the wrath of the Watcher. My dog stayed frightened the entire time. Lightning hit my house at least a dozen times, once zapping a sim inside my house.

I’m having the same issue, it kept zapping Sims inside a restaurant.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited June 2018

Lol, I like how you made excuses even for things that are known bugs that even the developers admitted to. The bed issue is a MAJOR one.....its been an issue for TONS of people and it is in the official bug thread and has even been confirmed by the gurus. Liking or even loving a game is wonderful, but sitting here making excuses and turning a blind eye to actual issues is what causes major issues in the franchise. It doesn't help anything. Also, bugs do not occur with everyone, thats not how programming works, so just because you have not experienced a bug does not mean its not widespread.......

How did I make excuses? I personally haven't had the bed issue nor was even aware of it as I said I mentioned before I have not heard of it, since I went back and read seeing that it has been a thing seeing some others posts about it now. So, I'd appreciate it if you didn't make accusations like that towards me thank you. :smile:
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    Tweaks that may improve overall visuals

VISUALS
    • Snow should always disappear only when hitting the very ground.
    • Snow can also fall on sims
    • There should be wet overlay in the sims if they got soaked in the rain
    • Fountains and Waterfalls too should freeze during winter
    • There should some sort of a cool visual effects during heatwaves
    • RAINBOWS!!!
    • Leaves flying and scattering during windy days
    • Chimes in BY stuff should behave naturally in winds
    • Clothes that are hang will sway more prominent in wind also

y'all got bread?
  • Options
    TreebrookeTreebrooke Posts: 80 Member
    More traditions for SURE and the lantern trees from movie stuff should change with the seasons.