Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is Sims University About and Why do You like it?

rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,339 Member
I recently created a poll in regards to expansions, and I see that a lot of people really want Sims University. Although I have it for TS3, I never did a get a chance to play it so I don't really know much about the pack to be honest. The same goes with Island Paradise. I bought both of the expansions for TS3 around the time TS4 came out, and I just never went back after beginning with TS4.

So, I'm just interested in what Sims University is about, of course besides education etc. Why do you like it, and what kind of interactions and stuff can you do in it? Why is it a popular expansion among fellow simmers?
Post edited by rjssim on

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I really don't play it much any more, but here are some things that I like about the TS3 University. It gives my sim extra time, without taking away from their life span to do other things, such as building their skills. Depending on their GPA when they graduate from the university, they will start at a higher level. If I remember correctly, if a sim does what is required, they can start at a level 4. In Sims 3, they can break their class years up in sections, what I mean by that is that they can complete a year (it's actually hours in this game), then go home, and later pick up for the next year, or two or whenever. In TS3, even an elder can go back to school. I have even sent married couples off to school together.
  • Options
    CoteDAzurCoteDAzur Posts: 610 Member
    University EP's have always been my favourites, (aloneside Seasons or OFB). Right now I feel like the aging process is still a bit empty, I love children in TS4, they have lots of quirks.. But teens still feel empty, and that move into Uni before they turn to Y/A to develop their lives and target their future career I feel really builds them as a character. Also Uni has always been fun gameplay for me, picking a major, the parties, cafeteria, etc etc.
  • Options
    rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,339 Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello
    These are guides to Sims 3 University Life which may help you
    https://simsvip.com/sims-3-university-life-guide/
    https://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/universitylife/

Thanks, @rosemow.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    University is and should still be an essential part of the Sims series. Imho, Sims series would be incomplete w/o one. I am for furthering an Sims career through the extension of education. Sims 2 University was rough but it was challenging too and trying to keep my Sim awake was very challenging. Sims 3 University was done nicely as well but was not as hard as Sims 2 University.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    I loved both Sims 2 and Sims 3 University. I loved how the teens morphed into college students in Sims2. There was a brief script that ran at the start of your YA sim and their mom arriving at Uni, the first day. The mother would be sobbing as her "baby" swaggered off to his dorm with a smirk on his face. It was hilarious. I loved the way their walk changed and their voices as well, It was challenging to get them through college with good grades. In Sims 2 they disappeared when they went to class so you were left with time on your hands until they returned back from class.
    Graduation was fun though, as there was an actual party afterwards with caps and robes. A car showed up to take them home after graduation.
    It was classic. Sims 3 was different in that you could actually go to classes with them. Depending on the classes they took, there would be specific tasks or activities associated with each. There was a restaurant also to add to the Uni lot and there were working cafes.
    I would think University would be a great addition to sims 4 IF they evolve the teens into college students, changing their physical attributes, attitude, voices, etc.
    So listen to us and don't give us a snow job, get the pun. lol
  • Options
    YannoliYannoli Posts: 48 Member
    I can’t speak for everyone , but my favorite part about university is just being able to have my sims develop their personality more. We jump right into the game and boom! Their off to the workforce....if that’s usually how I play it, I want my young adult sims to live a little like college kids
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I took part in your poll and voted for University. I didn't play Sims 3 Uni though.. only Sims 2. I voted for it because it's a stage in a young adults life that can be fun or intense. I know in Sims 2 University didn't quite give me everything I wanted or saw and I'm not really under the illusion that Sims 4 will.. but I do think it will come closer. I know playing in Sims 2 I was more concerned with studying and seeing to sims needs... and this time around it's not so hard to keep them green... easier still with the right trait. I'm hoping I can use that extra time to have them get more involved in extra curricular activities and events.. or other things college age kids do (which can be pretty broad overall). I'm also really excited to see how they implement schooling or higher education this time around. Will they broaden it and allow older adults to go? Will there be a night school option? Will we be able to control things with some sort of framework that clubs work under? I'm just more excited for this than for an Island/beach pack. I do want that type of pack though I just want Uni more.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    I loved the Uni EP’s I know it’s not for everyone but hanging out with your hall mates in the kitchen or sitting room was just somthing so cool as was moving in and the Frat parties falling in love and all that I was really upset when my time at university finished ( sim and irl) but yeah it’s fun
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2018
    What I love about University is that you really take your sim out of their own environment and ordinary life the way they were used to live it at home with mom and dad to keep an eye on them, right when they change from being a kid (teen) into an adult, just like irl. It’s a crucial phase in life.

The Sims 3 pack (and I assume it would be the same for Sims 4) gives you many different ways for students to fill in their time at college, both grade wise as behaviour wise. I’ve played students who mainly partied and slept around, I’ve played students who worked real hard and I’ve played everything in between. It contributes to the depth of your character/sim. And I love how you really have to make an effort to make them succeed. I do regret the grades aren’t a necessity for certain jobs (like doctor). I’d like it if that mattered more.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SteveTheSimmerSteveTheSimmer Posts: 49 Member
    I preferred the sims 2 university over the sims 3. I don't know why but it just felt more in depth.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I preferred the sims 2 university over the sims 3. I don't know why but it just felt more in depth.
    It would be interesting to know why however, considering the OP is interested in our opinions in relation to a future University pack. I never played Sims 2’s university and I’m curious as well why it was more in depth, what features they removed when making the Sims 3 version they shouldn’t have removed apparently.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited June 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know why however, considering the OP is interested in our opinions in relation to a future University pack. I never played Sims 2’s university and I’m curious as well why it was more in depth, what features they removed when making the Sims 3 version they shouldn’t have removed apparently.

This should answer your question about the two.
    http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Comparison_between_The_Sims_2:_University_and_The_Sims_3:_University_Life

Personally I preferred Sims 3 when it came to sending them off for a couple of reasons. In Sims 2, if you didn't send your sim off to school before they aged up to an adult, you lost the chance forever. In Sims 3, the opportunity to head off to school is an option no matter what stage in their life they are. In Sims 2, it always felt like a chore, and very tight time constraints, I just felt like my sim didn't have much time outside of classes, needs, and skill building to fully enjoy what else was involved in going to school. I ended up adding a mod for Sims 2, just to give me more time for my sim to do other stuff.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

This should answer your question about the two.
    http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Comparison_between_The_Sims_2:_University_and_The_Sims_3:_University_Life

Personally I preferred Sims 3 when it came to sending them off for a couple of reasons. In Sims 2, if you didn't send your sim off to school before they aged up to an adult, you lost the chance forever. In Sims 3, the opportunity to head off to school is an option no matter what stage in their life they are. In Sims 2, it always felt like a chore, and very tight time constraints, I just felt like my sim didn't have much time outside of classes, needs, and skill building to fully enjoy what else was involved in going to school. I ended up adding a mod for Sims 2, just to give me more time for my sim to do other stuff.

Thanks, there’s a Wiki for everything is there hahaha. Can’t say I find the answer in this case, maybe it’s a matter of personal experience and not so much features.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Sims 2 University was best tbh.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Let’s not turn this into one of those fruitless comparison topics but actually answer what the OP is asking for?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    nayruslove7nayruslove7 Posts: 108 Member
    i never had a chance to play ts3 university either (even though i owned it) due to performance issues. i played ts2 university and firstly, i loved that it had brought the new lifestate, young adult, to ts2 (not relevant now but that was a big reason). i mainly enjoyed it because it was sort of a milestone (for a lack of a better word) for my sims to experience. that's why i would enjoy an overall education pack where sims could go to elementary and high school. they could add graduations, prom and after school activities. the more there is for my sims to do, the better. another reason i really liked university, is you had to get your sim's skills up to pass semesters but at least it was a fun way to do it-rather than the constant grind on the treadmill when trying to get a promotion in the athletic career.
  • Options
    ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    CoteDAzur wrote: »
    University EP's have always been my favourites, (aloneside Seasons or OFB). Right now I feel like the aging process is still a bit empty, I love children in TS4, they have lots of quirks.. But teens still feel empty, and that move into Uni before they turn to Y/A to develop their lives and target their future career I feel really builds them as a character. Also Uni has always been fun gameplay for me, picking a major, the parties, cafeteria, etc etc.

This is why I've always been a fan of Uni. Also, I have quite a few families with lots of children, and they never get much individual attention from me until they go off to Uni; that's where I get to know them better, and bond with them more, and help them set up their future--whatever that may be.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    One of the things I find useful is watching YouTube Let's Plays and there are plenty out there for TS3 University.

The TS3 expansion offered your sims lots of new activities to do, in a lovely world. I'm afraid I have no experience of the TS2 pack for comparison. I always enjoy sending my sims to University and if they work hard then they get a degree which helps towards their future careers. On the other hand your sims have to play hard as well to remain happy and successful so you as the player have a permanent juggling act trying to keep it all working for your sim. I loved the Sorority and Fraternity houses, the dorms and the permanent mess and noise. It reminded me so much of my own time at University. And the parties, the social groups and their various places where they used to gather.

I suspect that if University is released for TS4 then it will be somewhat pared down from TS3. Some ideas have already appeared in earlier TS4 packs, like the introduction of social groups in Get Together. It will be interesting to see if the developers can come up with anything new for TS4 which is as engrossing as earlier versions.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    tegteg87tegteg87 Posts: 305 Member
    I liked it, it seemed like another step in Sims journeys towards adulthood and was a good time to build relationships and memories and added depth to story telling. I think it could be done really well in Sims 4, especially with the club system. It would also be a great excuse to add some much needed careers that require qualifications - or at least give a jump start on current careers.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    I didn’t buy University for TS3 because I found it a little too boring in TS2. Studying and passing exams was quite trivial in TS2 and living in a dorm was also more boring than playing a normal family in the main game. So there were no real challenges and only a too simplified gameplay with young adults singles as the only age group.

But my judgement was probably influenced by my own experience as a university student who also lived in a dorm myself for a few years. I can understand why simmers who haven’t experienced that themselves and only have dreams about it could like University anyway. But for me TS2 University was just too simplified and trivial. So I just wanted to get my sims out of the university again as fast as possible.
  • Options
    snarklessnarkles Posts: 244 Member
    I liked both versions of University, but I preferred that of TS2. A few comparisons:

As someone who lived in a dorm for three years, dorm life in TS2 was more realistic (except we didn't have a private cook from midnight to 4am), especially in terms of the bedrooms themselves and the amenities. I found TS3's spacious rooms with the full-size beds to be a bit more unrealistic, as well as dorms that came with full gyms inside them.

I didn't mind having to wait an hour or two in TS2 for my Sims to go to class. At first I loved the idea of attending class with them in TS3, but it just became a headache, as there was invariably a huge crowd of people blocking the entry, and it usually took half the class period for my Sim to find her seat. And usually, she was quite uncomfortable because there was always some vampire stalking her amidst said crowd.

And while TS3 is more realistic with the ability to begin school at any age, I found it was too difficult to create a brand new Sim, get them enough money to go to school, and actually send them there. And it was super annoying having to send them back if you wanted them to get a degree. Again, more realistic, but I just didn't find it to be very necessary. I liked being able to get everything accomplished in one fell swoop in TS2, and being able to create a new Sim at said school without having to worry about being able to afford tuition.

The graduation ceremony in TS3 always took forever. I always wanted to skip it, but the game never let me. It was maddening.

I also liked that TS2 had more options for majors with more possible career paths.

The one thing I preferred in TS3's University? Backpacks.
    xSfr2Kh.jpg
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    You should definitely check out LGR's video about it if you haven't already. It gives you a very good overview of the pack :) now what I like about it? I really love the setting, personally, and using my bike to cycle around campus lol. The classes are okay-ish, but I love that they have their little schedules to follow and that you can fail pretty easily if you don't keep up. And passing has some nice career benefits, so there's definitely an incentive not to fail depending on the story you have in mind. The backpacks and laptops are also nice additions. The only thing I very strongly dislike about University are the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 clubs :D
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited June 2018
    I will buy university.But it will probably be the first time I wait for a sale. The selling feature for me would be the new BB stuff and CAS items. Im not really seeing myself using university a whole lot. I would rather have a game pack that enhances fun with swimming pools/beaches. Like Island Paradise for Sims 4.