Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seasons: Snow Depth and Accumulation?

Comments

• Options
    the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    Well maybe it's not quite done yet? Maybe they made the video a while ago and they've since added depth? 'Cos I gotta admit, I'm dead excited about this EP but I noticed the lack of depth for the snow as well. I'm hoping it'll be there when it's launched.

I'm hoping that what we saw from the trailers were an earlier build. I don't know how long trailers take to make, but I'm assuming they must have began sorting out their marketing around January (planning / story boards in January, filming all the shots for the trailer in February, editing them in March, finalising everything in April etc.). Perhaps what we saw the other day (that house in Windenburg) is actually light snow, seeing as it's not actually snowing).

I mean - I'm not a producer, so I don't know how these things work, but it seems plausible...
  • Options
    SimDestroyerSimDestroyer Posts: 335 Member
    edited May 2018
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @06Bon06 wrote: »
    Would it have been nice? Sure, but frankly I can understand how it wouldn’t be possible. There is no terrain in Sims 4, the world is a giant object. How are they supposed to make dynamic snow that accumulates on terrain when there is no distinction between grass, road, or sidewalk? They would have to make unique snow objects that appear or disappear over the entire map matching the form of the world object. That’s a significant amount of work considering the number of unique zones we have. I’ll take this, because it’s better than having no seasons.

For anyone saying it’s 2018 and comparing how it was done in Sims 2 or 3, those games were built differently. The worlds were built differently. It’s not a matter of what technology can do in this age, but what they can do with the technology they have available for this game.

Not just that, but they probably have to make sure that it’s playable on console.

Heavy snow is taxing, but also probably not something that could be added/removed with a simple Ultra to Low/Ultra etc Setting. The Sims 4 runs on Ultra (minus the lighting I think) on console and the game struggles in San Myshuno as it is.

Seasons is their second biggest EP, they definitely want it to sell well to the console market too I guess.

And the team porting the game don’t seem to have access to make huge changes to the game, and the PC team probably don’t have the budget to accomate Console changes.

I can forgive them for this, but if the rain/snow is just a filter rather than actual weather in 3D I’ll be mad.

The Sims 2 did it because they built the game poorly for Weather (even though it was an intended base game feature) and I can live with that (despite the console games getting it right and doing much better).

I will not support Weather filters in 2018, if it’s true.

How do you see the difference between a filter and actual rain? I played sims 2 but never noticed it.
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    Would it have been nice? Sure, but frankly I can understand how it wouldn’t be possible. There is no terrain in Sims 4, the world is a giant object. How are they supposed to make dynamic snow that accumulates on terrain when there is no distinction between grass, road, or sidewalk? They would have to make unique snow objects that appear or disappear over the entire map matching the form of the world object. That’s a significant amount of work considering the number of unique zones we have. I’ll take this, because it’s better than having no seasons.

For anyone saying it’s 2018 and comparing how it was done in Sims 2 or 3, those games were built differently. The worlds were built differently. It’s not a matter of what technology can do in this age, but what they can do with the technology they have available for this game.

Not just that, but they probably have to make sure that it’s playable on console.

Heavy snow is taxing, but also probably not something that could be added/removed with a simple Ultra to Low/Ultra etc Setting. The Sims 4 runs on Ultra (minus the lighting I think) on console and the game struggles in San Myshuno as it is.

Seasons is their second biggest EP, they definitely want it to sell well to the console market too I guess.

And the team porting the game don’t seem to have access to make huge changes to the game, and the PC team probably don’t have the budget to accomate Console changes.

I can forgive them for this, but if the rain/snow is just a filter rather than actual weather in 3D I’ll be mad.

The Sims 2 did it because they built the game poorly for Weather (even though it was an intended base game feature) and I can live with that (despite the console games getting it right and doing much better).

How do you see the difference between a filter and actual rain? I played sims 2 but never noticed it.

I'd like to know the difference also. I'm currently playing Sims 2 and the rain looks like...rain.

Basically it’s just a rain effect you see on screen, rather than actually seeing the rain land in 3D.

Zoom inside and outside when it’s raining in TS2 and you’ll realise it’s just a filter over the top of the game, it’s not actually raining outside.

In one of the shots in the trailer, you can see that it's snowing outside. Perhaps it is 3D after all. But I'm not fully sure, as it can only been seen through the door and not through the windows.
  • Options
    celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    kaitlyn0 wrote: »
    I think we should be grateful that we are finally getting Seasons. Obviously it's not going to be perfect. The Sims 4 is far from a perfect game. Seasons looks amazing and exceeded my expectations, which says something. At least we're getting snow...

The way things are going, in The Sims 5 Seasons there will be no snow in the winter, or the snow will be green, but we'll have to give the pack a chance because it's a theme everyone's been begging for a long time and finally the seasons arrived, so now we have to enjoy no matter how the game is delivered, and if we do not do that, we will be ungrateful. This is worrying.

This is the problem. Accept things as they are even that have been made in dubious conditions by the simple fact that at least now we have. Thank God we're in a community that rejected the ball pit and gained an improvement
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2018

I'd like to know the difference also. I'm currently playing Sims 2 and the rain looks like...rain.

Basically it’s just a rain effect you see on screen, rather than actually seeing the rain land in 3D.

Zoom inside and outside when it’s raining in TS2 and you’ll realise it’s just a filter over the top of the game, it’s not actually raining outside.

In one of the shots in the trailer, you can see that it's snowing outside. Perhaps it is 3D after all. But I'm not fully sure, as it can only been seen through the door and not through the windows.

You do realize FX now a days is very much 3-D. Look at any action movie made today - it ranges anywhere from fx with 3 D effects, to computer generated to green screening. The main problem with fx in a computer game it runs on a loop and technically characters cannot be programmed to interact with FX - as FX - 3 D or just a overlay is simply a visual affect the player sees. But yes it can be visually 3 D - it just does not build up on the characters - because it is a visual affect.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    edited May 2018
    Hopefully modders give us a retexture for the snow because that plain MS Paint white is terrible. Does not look like snow at all. Tech is supposed to go forward with this closed off game being a Loading Screen Simulator we should have 3D weather, snow build up, and real looking snow texture. Sims 3 may have its problems but it did push things compared to Sims 4 so far. How come that game can do 3D weather and snow build up but Sims 4 cannot? Oh well that's the Sims 4 for ya.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    aws200 wrote: »
    Hopefully modders give us a retexture for the snow because that plain MS Paint white is terrible. Does not look like snow at all. Tech is supposed to go forward with this closed off game being a Loading Screen Simulator we should have 3D weather, snow build up, and real looking snow texture. Sims 3 may have its problems but it did push things compared to Sims 4 so far. How come that game can do 3D weather and snow build up but Sims 4 cannot? Oh well that's the Sims 4 for ya.

Leaving it to the modders is ridiculous seeing not everyone believes in using mods in a developing game. I will never consider using a mod until a game is finished and no longer in development as I don't care to create problems in the game. So not a solution - just a bandaid that might create more issues than it is worth.

Don't get me wrong - I have tremendous respect for modders - always trying to help - but until a game can level up a mod with each update it is always an issue in a game using code not covered in an update - it can be chancey.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Leaving it to the modders is ridiculous seeing not everyone believes in using mods in a developing game. I will never consider using a mod until a game is finished and no longer in development as I don't care to create problems in the game. So not a solution - just a bandaid that might create more issues than it is worth.

Besides, if modders could actually create snow they would have done so by now.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    EmmaVane wrote: »

There was one scene in the trailer, towards the end, where they point the camera up towards the sky - it's kinda hard to see because of the lightning, but you can see the rain falling towards the ground - would this be possible if it were a filter, or does this suggest that it's not?

pWuiNzV.png

Sorry I realise this is off topic and not what this thread is about

Also, the Christmas scene were they are decorating the tree - It looks like you can see snow falling through the glass of the front door, is that possible with filters?

FX programming can do that. Below is software that creates all sorts of FX effects that look beyond real. FX cand create anything visual you can think of - but it is still just visual effects and not interactive with characters.

https://www.digital-alchemist.com/cg-fx-3d-online-shop/

Here's some shots of fx 3 d of falling snow -

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrJ61kLuwlbe3AAnU5XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyanNvNWYzBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjQ4NTNfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=FX+3+d+effects+of+falling+snow&fr=tightropetb

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    EmmaVane wrote: »

There was one scene in the trailer, towards the end, where they point the camera up towards the sky - it's kinda hard to see because of the lightning, but you can see the rain falling towards the ground - would this be possible if it were a filter, or does this suggest that it's not?

pWuiNzV.png

Sorry I realise this is off topic and not what this thread is about

Also, the Christmas scene were they are decorating the tree - It looks like you can see snow falling through the glass of the front door, is that possible with filters?

FX programming can do that.

To be honest, FX filters don't really bother me - as long as it looks like snow / rain then as far as I'm concerned, it is snow / rain
  • Options
    pupunikpupunik Posts: 62 Member
    I'm really hopeful that the snow will have depth: '(
    I would not want to be so disappointed with the sims 4.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Jouvay wrote: »
    snow depth and foggy windows were one of the many reasons I loved seasons in previous iterations - because it's about immersion.

That said, the expansion overall looks fantastic.

There are foggy windows clearly shown in the new trailer.
  • Options
    NeverSeemsToEndNeverSeemsToEnd Posts: 292 Member
    In my opinion they don't want to talk about snow because they know all that simmers are saying it's true, so they will try to distract us with other major features in the EP. And that will happen when they will show more info in EA play and in livestream after that. I like the EP and definitely will buy it, but i'm a little disappointed with the possibility that snow has no depth.
    Origin ID: NeverSeemsToEnd
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member

I woudn't say that.
    I could see them not bothering with something they believe EA will eventually create since we had it in The Sims 2 and 3.
    However, if it seems something EA refuses to do, then modders will probably rise to the challenge.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    edited May 2018

Retextures are possible. Clearly you didn't read/know what I said. The plain white texture is terrible and I hope modders can change that to a more believable snow one. They did it with the ball pit as well no more 1998 ballpit.png
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options
    ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    kaitlyn0 wrote: »
    I think we should be grateful that we are finally getting Seasons. Obviously it's not going to be perfect. The Sims 4 is far from a perfect game. Seasons looks amazing and exceeded my expectations, which says something. At least we're getting snow...

Okay, I can see where you are going with this and it is valid if one were the type to just settle for anything as if spending all the simoleons we have spent on this series is considered chump change. I, however, feel that when a series is on its fourth go around, we should expect at least the quality of previous releases and then some. If we cannot get then some then how about at least what we had before. I do like a lot of the objects that are new to the game but we did not have to get seasons to get a gardening and farming addition and even ice skating and roller skating did not have to define the Seasons pack. What we needed this pack to do was deliver weather accurately and realistically. We needed snow that looks like snow and acts like snow and accumulates and melts like snow. We need trees that shed their leaves gradually and accumulate into realistic looking piles. The rain is looking a bit strange too so I cannot say anything yet about that. Many of us are just frustrated at how every release leaves us in a quandary about why something integral is always left out.
  • Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    Well they said atm they can’t comment because it might giveaway something so maybe there is snow depth.
  • Options
    Cheekybits wrote: »
    Well they said atm they can’t comment because it might giveaway something so maybe there is snow depth.

They could have said "yes, snow have depth" (just this), and that will not end with whatever they could want to keep in secret because we will not have images. So, no, to me this silence means there will be no depth in snow, and they want to be able to show us more content to distract us from that problem with snow, by showing some mjor features and say " see, we won't give you snow depth but we will give you this"
  • Options
    FallenPrinceFallenPrince Posts: 928 Member
    This makes me a bit sad- I loved the snow depth in previous games. But if the content is really good then I can overlook this.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Also what I don't understand is, they're saying they can't yet talk about snow... seriously... I mean, we literally saw snow in the trailer you released the other day...

Surely by releasing a trailer, you're accepting that you're now at a stage where you can talk about everything there is - if you couldn't, why announce it?

I mean, it's not as if snow is a small little feature, I can understand them not wanting to talk about holidays for example, because that makes more sense to keep it somewhat secretive and talk about it later... but snow is pretty much one of the main selling points to the whole expansion - if you can't talk about that, why announce it??
  • Options
    Also what I don't understand is, they're saying they can't talk about snow... seriously... I mean, we literally saw snow in the trailer you released the other day...

Surely by releasing a trailer, you're accepting that you're now at a stage where you can talk about everything there is - if you couldn't, why announce it?

Because they can't just say " yes, you are right about the snow", they need to find a way to tell the truth in a way that don't put things worse that they are now. lol
  • Options
    Also what I don't understand is, they're saying they can't talk about snow... seriously... I mean, we literally saw snow in the trailer you released the other day...

Because they can't just say " yes, you are right about the snow", they need to find a way to tell the truth in a way that don't put things worse that they are now. lol

Well, of course, that's what they do every time :joy: but they should have thought about the controversy it would cause before they announced the expansion, they've had plenty of time to think of an excuse (just saying, they could have used that time to actually work on snow ;) )
  • Options
    EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    I hope in the remaining time they have left before release, they fix the snow depth or at least make it optional for those who can run it. I can't believe it made it into TS2, which uses heavier objects/textures and runs just fine on my computer today, but they can't seem to optimize snow 9 years later. I love the pack and will definitely get it just for a change of the always sunny weather, but I do share the community backlash over this. They should at least patch it in after release if they don't have time!
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • Options
    LadyJesterLadyJester Posts: 606 Member
    Yeah after looking at the pictures I can really see how the snow is lacking I really hope like it's only because they took a picture of light snowing or something. If that isn't the case I hope they do fix it before it does come out. I mean they aren't showing us the final product so they still have a chance to fix it.
  • Options
    celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    edited May 2018
    I'm really worried about the absence of snow, and also about the snow on the roofs. Honestly, it looks like they've re-used the First Snow mod and that's fine. This is so amateurish.

I can not wait to see how they will justify themselves. They will probably say that in order to do some things in these packs, they have to give up on others.

The funniest thing is that they said that a new world has not been added in this pack precisely so that they could develop seasons well in all worlds, but it seems that it is not exactly like this ...
    LadyJester wrote: »
    Yeah after looking at the pictures I can really see how the snow is lacking I really hope like it's only because they took a picture of light snowing or something. If that isn't the case I hope they do fix it before it does come out. I mean they aren't showing us the final product so they still have a chance to fix it.

The problem is that the expansion is almost finished. 27 days to launch. This makes some change very difficult.
    Post edited by celipoesias on
    tenor.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top