Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    edited May 2018
    Jes2G wrote: »

i told you not to worry about it. once i went back and figured out what it was about i could have turned back. but i didn't :):p

smiley face is because i'm great. tounge because it reminds me of us.

You're awesome, friendsfan!

you are too!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    yeah today is ice cream replacement day. its also star wars day.

What the heck is ice cream replacement day? LOL Can I replace all my meals with ice cream?

i left already by the time this was posted. ice cream replacement day .it was just over a week ago that seeing Brian melted my ice cream. today i got to replace it.

this morning i remembed itwas star wars day. tonight i forgot.
  • Options
    Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member

What the heck is ice cream replacement day? LOL Can I replace all my meals with ice cream?

i left already by the time this was posted. ice cream replacement day .it was just over a week ago that seeing Brian melted my ice cream. today i got to replace it.

Ohhh that day. You should show up at his door with ice cream...see what happens. :-P
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • Options

Ohhh that day. You should show up at his door with ice cream...see what happens. :-P

but hes the reason it melted in the first place. lol.
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    *Walks in* Okay. I'm back. What's the current question? I would read through the 40+ posts but it's 9pm already.
  • Options
    cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    *Walks in* Okay. I'm back. What's the current question? I would read through the 40+ posts but it's 9pm already.

Would you consider Harriett and Harold good parents? We know they love their children and had complicated relationships with each one. And we know each of the kids grew up with their deep issues.

Rebecca has been married like three times. Playboy Axel couldn't settle down if he wanted to. And poor Hillary is just now learning how to love herself. I'm not saying all of their issues are their parents' fault, but you know...

What are everyone's thoughts about this?
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member

Would you consider Harriett and Harold good parents?

I feel like they are good parents. No parent is perfect and they tried. It was multiple factors that caused things to happen. There was Blake(?)'s death which started things off bad but things can happen and life has to go on. If life stopped after anything bad happened then the world would crumble.

However, maybe they could have dealt with things better but people make mistakes and that is what makes this realistic. Somethings will go unnoticed until later on life.
  • Options

Would you consider Harriett and Harold good parents? We know they love their children and had complicated relationships with each one. And we know each of the kids grew up with their deep issues.

Rebecca has been married like three times. Playboy Axel couldn't settle down if he wanted to. And poor Hillary is just now learning how to love herself. I'm not saying all of their issues are their parents' fault, but you know...

I totally wanna hear everyone's thoughts. Maybe, Cece, you can ask me this one during Coffee Hour? :D
    forum_final.png

• Options

Would you consider Harriett and Harold good parents?

I feel like they are good parents. No parent is perfect and they tried. It was multiple factors that caused things to happen. There was Blake(?)'s death which started things off bad but things can happen and life has to go on. If life stopped after anything bad happened then the world would crumble.

However, maybe they could have dealt with things better but people make mistakes and that is what makes this realistic. Somethings will go unnoticed until later on life.

I love this answer.
    forum_final.png

• Options
    I know the casual chat is far from over, but I just wanted to thank everyone who stopped by this week! It feels like a birthday party or something LOL.
    forum_final.png

• Options
    AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    edited May 2018

Hmmm.Harriett and Harold.... Axel’s twin death is what broke the family. Harold, already not one to show emotions easily, just about completely shut down. Harriett did her dead level best to take care of everyone and hold the family together but she was just spread too thin. She was probably not feeling the love from Harold either so did a lot for - too much - for everyone else. Poor Harriett was the great enabler and I think she looked at Juliana as a chance to get it right.
  • Options
    AudreyFld wrote: »

Hmmm.Harriett and Harold.... Axel’s twin death is what broke the family. Harold, already not one to show emotions easily, just about completely shut down. Harriett did her dead level best to take care of everyone and hold the family together but she was just spread too thin. She was probably not feeling the love from Harold either so did a lot for - too much - for everyone else. Poor Harriett was the great enabler and I think she looked at Juliana as a chance to get it right.

I love this one too!
    forum_final.png

• Options
    agggggggghhhhh. i was in game most of the day so i didn't know jes changed avis. :p

I figured I should have Juliana in there in honor of us talking about her. :smiley:

kevin doesn't get any love . he discovered juliana. he drooled all over her and acted like dork but hes a dork that loved her and forgot to tell her.

i'm picking on him becuse i've been there. brian was not honest with me he didn't say i like you don't pick him he said don't pick him like i'm supposed to understand that means i like you. i was in 7th grade boys were a new thing.

see thats why kevins a dork a loveable dork but julia couldn't read his mind.

i love the story as much as i love jes i think she knows that. :)
  • Options

I totally wanna hear everyone's thoughts. Maybe, Cece, you can ask me this one during Coffee Hour? :D

wait this isn't coffee hour?
  • Options
    agggggggghhhhh. i was in game most of the day so i didn't know jes changed avis. :p

I figured I should have Juliana in there in honor of us talking about her. :smiley:

kevin doesn't get any love . he discovered juliana. he drooled all over her and acted like dork but hes a dork that loved her and forgot to tell her.

i'm picking on him becuse i've been there. brian was not honest with me he didn't say i like you don't pick him he said don't pick him like i'm supposed to understand that means i like you. i was in 7th grade boys were a new thing.

Harriett discovered Juliana, if you want to get technical lol. And yes, Kevin was a dork for a long time!
    forum_final.png

• Options

wait this isn't coffee hour?

Next week...well, I suppose that's tomorrow now!
    forum_final.png

• Options

Harriett discovered Juliana, if you want to get technical lol. And yes, Kevin was a dork for a long time!

brians still a dork .
  • Options
    but like kevin a loveable dork.

i wanted ice cream so i forgot to type that.
  • Options

Definitely! I didn't want to say, "everyone but Jes answer," lol. But I'm sooooo interested in your thoughts on this one. I may just start with that question first, haha.

But as for my thoughts, I'd say Harriett and Harold have a lot of love for their children, but I wouldn't necessarily categorize them as "good" parents. Harriett stifled her children's ability to grow up. And Harold stifled their ability to cope with adult emotions. I struggle to say they were good parents when their one of their most consistent parenting behaviors is the direct cause of so many of their kids' issues.
  • Options
    Also, I'm officially opening Coffee Hour!!

giphy.gif

The very first inquiry for @Jes2G is... drumroll please...

In what order did you create your characters? I presume Juliana came first in CAS (though I could be wrong), but who came after that? And didn't Kevin come from the gallery?
  • Options
    I'm here I'm here! Yay Coffee Hour! :D

In what order did you create your characters? I presume Juliana came first in CAS (though I could be wrong), but who came after that? And didn't Kevin come from the gallery?

Hmmm...there are three variations of the answer lol. If you're talking about simply coming up with the characters, their names, and very loose stories for them, then this would be the order: Juliana, Harriett, Harold, Hillary, Jase, Axel, Rebecca, Jack and all her kids. Yes, Kevin came from the gallery. I don't think I downloaded him until I was almost ready to begin the story.

If you're talking about creation of the actual Sims, Harold & Harriett already existed, but they were young and even had different traits. Then, of course, I created Juliana. After her, it was Rebecca, Axel, Hillary, Jase, Jack and all Rebecca's kids.

If you're talking about sitting down and making the characters come to life with detailed stories, it would be Juliana, Harriett, Hillary, Kevin, Harold, Jase, Rebecca, Axel, Jack, the kids, and then Kevin again. <--he was the reason it took me so long to begin season 2. I didn't understand him enough and I found the story extremely unbelievable! Like, seriously, why would a good-looking, rich man go for a poor, homeless foreigner who can barely talk to him? I didn't buy it lol. So, I had to spend time with him and understand how this could happen before I could write again.
    forum_final.png

• Options
    Now that's really interesting! I love that the characters have three different origins, lol.

And figuring out Kevin's motivations must've been quite the task. When you say "had to spend time with him," what do you mean? Did you literally go in game to play with him as a Sim interacting with Juliana, or some writer-y characterization exercise, or some cool new thing I haven't even thought of yet?
  • Options
    Now that's really interesting! I love that the characters have three different origins, lol.

And figuring out Kevin's motivations must've been quite the task. When you say "had to spend time with him," what do you mean? Did you literally go in game to play with him as a Sim interacting with Juliana, or some writer-y characterization exercise, or some cool new thing I haven't even thought of yet?

He lived in my head for a long time! I talked to some friends about him a LOT, and they helped me come up with every possible scenario for why he would become so drawn to her. Finally, one idea spoke to me, and I stayed with it, working out the details until I felt comfortable enough (and finally believed lol) to begin writing again. But even then I didn't have it all. The cool part about deciding not to write season 3 ahead of time is being able to discover as I go. I still had those discovery moments as I wrote the other seasons, but of course they were much shorter and easier to do lol. I think the difference comes in where I am as a writer now. I'm a lot more relaxed and concerned about quality over quantity now. I don't just want to tell a story; I want to tell a good story. Good stories don't just happen, and now I'm willing to be patient and let it happen in its own time. I'm telling you, I get way more ideas, work out problems, etc. when I'm not thinking about it now lol. I enjoy letting the downtime work for me. Much of Kevin's more current thoughts came from those times. I'm still learning about him...all of them!
    forum_final.png

• Options
    RosemaryMarieeRosemaryMariee Posts: 223 Member
    Here for Coffee Hour and so excited! I love the Q&A so far! :)

gen8-banner-landscape.png

Join the heirs as they tell their stories through diary entries in Noble Doubt!
    TS3/TS4/Origin ID: RosemaryMarie

• Options
    Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    I'm a lot more relaxed and concerned about quality over quantity now. I don't just want to tell a story; I want to tell a good story. Good stories don't just happen, and now I'm willing to be patient and let it happen in its own time.

This!
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi