Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unable to start game. Device 0 cannot run this title

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited May 2018
    @igazor I think the card is worth a shot. It has to be done anyway with capping the FPS. They may also need Nvdia inspector. If that does not work, we may need chester for windows 10
  • Options
    JennyferLxJennyferLx Posts: 87 Member
    Sorry my original post wasn’t helpful for you @SimsScareMe . Think my problem was unique...
    Hopefully you get something sorted though & it’s a bit more easy to accomplish :)
    <3
  • Options
    SimsScareMeSimsScareMe Posts: 16 New Member
    @igazor and @phoebebebe13 , just want to throw in a tiny thank you so far. All efforts toward helping are greatly appreciated. :)
    @JennyferLx , thank you for responding. Hopefully this issue can be resolved soon!
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited May 2018
    Are you running dual cards? you may need to disable one of them. Sorry if this has been mentioned already.
    There is also a number of livekernelevents on your dxdiag, That could point to a hardware problem, Most likely graphics card. Do you get any BSOD?
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    > @chesterbigbird said:
    > Are you running dual cards? you may need to disable one of them. Sorry if this has been mentioned already.
    > There is also a number of livekernelevents on your dxdiag, That could point to a hardware problem, Most likely graphics card. Do you get any BSOD?

No, I am not running dual cards and yes, I've had BSOD happen twice on me at most.
  • Options
    Alice01aAlice01a Posts: 8 New Member
    > @casualsimmer said:
    > I tried installing all updates related to windows but still no change and I never use alternate screens either. It seems like my Sims is adamant it shall not work no matter what solutions I throw at it! :s

hi chances you will see this is slim but did u ever find a solution to this its suddenly happened to me. I even tried changing my graphic card
  • Options
    > @chesterbigbird said:
    > Are you running dual cards? you may need to disable one of them. Sorry if this has been mentioned already.
    > There is also a number of livekernelevents on your dxdiag, That could point to a hardware problem, Most likely graphics card. Do you get any BSOD?

No, I am not running dual cards and yes, I've had BSOD happen twice on me at most.

OK your Dxdiag does imply you have dual cards. The GTX 750ti is listed twice in the display devices which usually means you have dual cards.
    So either you actually do have 2 cards or you do have a driver problem or Hardware problem with the card, That and the fact you get BSOD and those livekernelevents all points to a problem, So you can rule out any game problem or a problem with the card and the game not recognising each other.
    As to why you only have the issue with ts3 is beyond me. (maybe just coincidence?)
    Have you tried using DDU to do a clean install of the graphics drivers?
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBbXvEeNY08
    Do the clean and restart option (the first one)

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Wow, I never even caught the double entry (obviously). My eyes tend to cross as I'm scrolling through by the time I get to that section of the dxdiag.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Alice01a wrote: »
    hi chances you will see this is slim but did u ever find a solution to this its suddenly happened to me. I even tried changing my graphic card
    Hi there. The OP on this thread has not logged into the forums in over three years. We can see that they had a very underpowered graphics card on an underpowered computer by TS3 standards, so I'm afraid what they were experiencing back then would not be totally unheard of.

As with anyone who experiences the Device 0 error, in order to assist we need to see a dxdiag report so we know what kind of hardware and drivers you are working with. You can copy the results of a full dxdiag into several responses here (the full report will be far too long to fit into one post) or send it up to pastebin.com and provide a broken up link so we can read it. The broken up part is because you have New Member status and cannot post full links, but just use something like "h.t.t.p.s."
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Also please, has the game ever worked on this computer before? And where you said you changed your graphics card, do you mean that you installed a new physical card yourself or you made changes to configurations and settings in some other way?

The above, by the way, assumes Windows. If you are on a Mac, then we need to have a different conversation. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    > @igazor said:
    > Alice01a wrote: »
    >
    > hi chances you will see this is slim but did u ever find a solution to this its suddenly happened to me. I even tried changing my graphic card
    >
    >
    >
    > Hi there. The OP on this thread has not logged into the forums in over three years. We can see that they had a very underpowered graphics card on an underpowered computer by TS3 standards, so I'm afraid what they were experiencing back then would not be totally unheard of.
    >
    > As with anyone who experiences the Device 0 error, in order to assist we need to see a dxdiag report so we know what kind of hardware and drivers you are working with. You can copy the results of a full dxdiag into several responses here (the full report will be far too long to fit into one post) or send it up to pastebin.com and provide a broken up link so we can read it. The broken up part is because you have New Member status and cannot post full links, but just use something like "/
    >
    > Also please, has the game ever worked on this computer before? And where you said you changed your graphics card, do you mean that you installed a new physical card yourself or you made changes to configurations and settings in some other way?
    >
    > The above, by the way, assumes Windows. If you are on a Mac, then we need to have a different conversation. :)

Hi please find the paste bin link below
    ht tps ://paste bin. com/ ykPQGQtg

yes i have a windows pc . I originally had a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB for which I edited the graphic rule and graphic cards card files successfully to get the game using it, and the game worked great no crashes nothing for over 6 months I then took a few months break as I started uni again during which time I updated the graphic drivers during the holidays I loaded up the game again and I get the device 0 message I tried rolling back my drivers thinking if was that but nope I tried everything the guy above mentioned still didn't work. thinking there my be problem with the graphic card I sent it off I'm still waiting for a replacement but in the mean time I put in a nvida GeForce gt 710 2gb thinking that at least I could play sims if none of my other games but nope it still didn't work. funnily if I go into control panel> device manger then display adapters to disable the graphic card so it uses what I assume is the one on-board my mother board the game works??? but crashes after about 20mins as I assume its too much for it to handle. I am well and truly stumped I have no idea. other them sending my entire rig off to get looked at which I'm not even sure will help as I doubt the people that handle my warranty are experts on sims I'm at a lost for what to do next. I have a very good pc that's not even a year old yet so I doubt that has anything to do with it. if you can help me fix this I would be eternally grateful I have put way to much work into sims to just lose everything seminally for no reason.
  • Options
    I see three issues there (could be more), two of them are serious and the probable cause of or are contributing to the Device 0 errors.

1 - Your GT 710 card is showing up twice. I doubt from what you have described that you have two of them. If there is meant to be an on-board integrated video chip (usually Intel, there are others), it is using the "wrong" driver. But not every system has an on-board chip like that. We have a player facing a similar issue, same error, with a totally different card over here. I defer to the advice that @chesterbigbird provided about doing a clean reinstall of the card's drivers (and any other expert advice she can offer including how this could have happened).
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16463546/#Comment_16463546

2 - Windows is running from the SSD, your C drive. It is critically low on free space, which will make the system prone to malfunction generally. If the game and your Documents folder containing your TS3 user game folder are also on C, it can't be expected to run properly without more free space to work with.

The third one it sounds like you already know, but even if it were working properly a GT 710 is very underpowered for TS3, not much better than integrated really. In fact, it can be worse because the card is just not designed to handle the throughput that the game requires once we get beyond the base game only on low graphics option settings and low resolution. But that wouldn't cause the Device 0 errors, it would rather make the game unstable and not very pleasant to play beyond a certain point.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    > @igazor said:
    > I see three issues there (could be more), two of them are serious and the probable cause of or are contributing to the Device 0 errors.
    >
    > 1 - Your GT 710 card is showing up twice. I doubt from what you have described that you have two of them. If there is meant to be an on-board integrated video chip (usually Intel, there are others), it is using the "wrong" driver. But not every system has an on-board chip like that. We have a player facing a similar issue, same error, with a totally different card over here. I defer to the advice that @chesterbigbird provided about doing a clean reinstall of the card's drivers (and any other expert advice she can offer including how this could have happened).
    >
    >
    > 2 - Windows is running from the SSD, your C drive. It is critically low on free space, which will make the system prone to malfunction generally. If the game and your Documents folder containing your TS3 user game folder are also on C, it can't be expected to run properly without more free space to work with.
    >
    > The third one it sounds like you already know, but even if it were working properly a GT 710 is very underpowered for TS3, not much better than integrated really. In fact, it can be worse because the card is just not designed to handle the throughput that the game requires once we get beyond the base game only on low graphics option settings and low resolution. But that wouldn't cause the Device 0 errors, it would rather make the game unstable and not very pleasant to play beyond a certain point.

Hiya

The fact that my graphic card is showing up twice is very odd.... i will try a clean install of the drivers again see is that works. And i was aware of the lol space on my ssd drive I've mainly ignored it as atm i don't have the spare money to go buy a bigger one but i could maybe buy a smaller one and try merging them in the meantime . i don't really wanna move sims to another drive as i run all my games off that drive for speed purposes.
    I think I will wait for my 1060 to show up then attempt to fix it again as as u mentioned the 710 really wouldn't work great anyway. If you do find a solution for your friend please do let me know and i also will take any farther advice @chesterbigbird has.

Thank u so much for taking the time to help me out
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    Wow, I never even caught the double entry (obviously). My eyes tend to cross as I'm scrolling through by the time I get to that section of the dxdiag.

Haha i had to look twice, it's easy to miss.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    hi just to let u know I tried the clean install using the method chesterbigbird described and the game still wont load i get the same message it does however only have my graphic card listed once in dxdiag now
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Alice01a wrote: »
    hi just to let u know I tried the clean install using the method chesterbigbird described and the game still wont load i get the same message it does however only have my graphic card listed once in dxdiag now
    Sorry that did not seem to provide any form of relief, but am not sure if you want to continue troubleshooting this as you are awaiting the arrival of your more suitable replacement card. Still not clear on if you are supposed to have dual graphics there. Meaning, is there an Intel (or some other) integrated chip on this system board or not?

The lack of free space on C is not optional to fix, or at least that's the way I look at it. I wouldn't even dare to launch a web browser running from a drive that has insufficient space to work with. I would aim for at least 35 GB free there, a bit more if possible. At the time of the dxdiag you only had 13 GB.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    > @chesterbigbird said:
    > SimsScareMe wrote: »
    >
    > > @chesterbigbird said:
    > > Are you running dual cards? you may need to disable one of them. Sorry if this has been mentioned already.
    > > There is also a number of livekernelevents on your dxdiag, That could point to a hardware problem, Most likely graphics card. Do you get any BSOD?
    >
    > No, I am not running dual cards and yes, I've had BSOD happen twice on me at most.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > OK your Dxdiag does imply you have dual cards. The GTX 750ti is listed twice in the display devices which usually means you have dual cards.
    > So either you actually do have 2 cards or you do have a driver problem or Hardware problem with the card, That and the fact you get BSOD and those livekernelevents all points to a problem, So you can rule out any game problem or a problem with the card and the game not recognising each other.
    > As to why you only have the issue with ts3 is beyond me. (maybe just coincidence?)
    > Have you tried using DDU to do a clean install of the graphics drivers?
    > h-t-t-p://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
    >
    > Do the clean and restart option (the first one)

So, long story short, I went to the website presented in the video (not realizing that links were provided in the description) and downloaded the most recent DDU available. I should note that I did not extract the .rar file into a separate folder anywhere on my computer if that matters. More like I just "opened" it up right where it was in my downloads folder. This kept me with a single .exe that took me quite some time to get rid of because it wouldn't allow me permissions to do anything with. Slightly paranoid because I went back to the webpage of that DDU and saw a few people commenting that it was potentially malware.

I'm not really sure if I want to make an attempt with downloading this file again; though if it's advised that I do, provided I include the extracting part, I'll give it another go.

Otherwise, I'd like to ask if following a guide from the NVIDIA website regarding uninstalling my drivers and then reinstalling will yield me with the same results?
  • Options
    > @chesterbigbird said:
    > SimsScareMe wrote: »
    >
    > > @chesterbigbird said:
    > > Are you running dual cards? you may need to disable one of them. Sorry if this has been mentioned already.
    > > There is also a number of livekernelevents on your dxdiag, That could point to a hardware problem, Most likely graphics card. Do you get any BSOD?
    >
    > No, I am not running dual cards and yes, I've had BSOD happen twice on me at most.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > OK your Dxdiag does imply you have dual cards. The GTX 750ti is listed twice in the display devices which usually means you have dual cards.
    > So either you actually do have 2 cards or you do have a driver problem or Hardware problem with the card, That and the fact you get BSOD and those livekernelevents all points to a problem, So you can rule out any game problem or a problem with the card and the game not recognising each other.
    > As to why you only have the issue with ts3 is beyond me. (maybe just coincidence?)
    > Have you tried using DDU to do a clean install of the graphics drivers?
    > h-t-t-p://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
    >
    > Do the clean and restart option (the first one)

So, long story short, I went to the website presented in the video (not realizing that links were provided in the description) and downloaded the most recent DDU available. I should note that I did not extract the .rar file into a separate folder anywhere on my computer if that matters. More like I just "opened" it up right where it was in my downloads folder. This kept me with a single .exe that took me quite some time to get rid of because it wouldn't allow me permissions to do anything with. Slightly paranoid because I went back to the webpage of that DDU and saw a few people commenting that it was potentially malware.

I'm not really sure if I want to make an attempt with downloading this file again; though if it's advised that I do, provided I include the extracting part, I'll give it another go.

Otherwise, I'd like to ask if following a guide from the NVIDIA website regarding uninstalling my drivers and then reinstalling will yield me with the same results?

Absolutely NOT maleware. It's a widely recommended program one i use every time i re install a driver.
    Download from here
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
    Go to download locations and choose the closest location to you to download (closest will provide faster download speeds.)
    Make a folder on your desktop called DDU, this is where you should extract the install folder, After extracting open the program by clicking the "display driver uninstaller" application file.
    After opening start in safe mode, when using the program select the first option ( clean and restart option.)
    Re installing from Nvidia instructions will not be the same thing, This removes folders and all sorts of junk leftover from the previous driver which helps to solve problems.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    > @igazor wrote: »

"> hi just to let u know I tried the clean install using the method chesterbigbird described and the game still wont load i get the same message it does however only have my graphic card listed once in dxdiag now
    >
    >
    >
    > Sorry that did not seem to provide any form of relief, but am not sure if you want to continue troubleshooting this as you are awaiting the arrival of your more suitable replacement card. Still not clear on if you are supposed to have dual graphics there. Meaning, is there an Intel (or some other) integrated chip on this system board or not?
    >
    > The lack of free space on C is not optional to fix, or at least that's the way I look at it. I wouldn't even dare to launch a web browser running from a drive that has insufficient space to work with. I would aim for at least 35 GB free there, a bit more if possible. At the time of the dxdiag you only had 13 GB."

No for now imma wait for the new graphic card i just wanted to let you know as i know you are trying to help someone else. as far as i know there isnt a integreated graphic card on my motherboard theres no hdmi plug in my motherboard even. Im very confused, i think i might juat have to send the whole rig off as i think there is more going on then i have knowlege for the whole system needs a look at by a expert.

ive convinced my dad to order me a extra ssd drive so when that comes i will merge it with my c drive and that will hopfully be one less problem.

I'll keep wacthing this thread thou :)
  • Options
    @chesterbigbird , To keep it short, sweet and simple:
    Followed the instructions given regarding the DDU > Trouble starts to occur when trying to reinstall my drivers (I reinstalled them *out* of safe mode, not thinking much of it) > causes BSOD > Boots back up in Safe Mode > used the DDU again > reinstalled the drivers in Safe Mode this time > experienced no BSOD > Everything seems good > Starts Sims 3 > Same error message occurs.

I decided to produce another DxDiag, I've never looked over one before and so, I don't really understand most of the whats on it. But if I'm correct, it's still telling me that I have dual cards. I'm not really sure whats going on or what to say/think.

h-t-t-p-s://pastebin.com/axHmXtL8
  • Options
    RiverX2BananasRiverX2Bananas Posts: 58 Member
    Okay, I don't understand how any of this works but I know there are a lot of smart people here and maybe this what happened to me might help someone solving some problems in the future... At least if they were messing with files they shouldn't be messing with, like I did... :dizzy:

I had the same message appearing, but it was related to The Sims 2. It occurred after I was fiddling GraphicRules.sgr file in my The Sims 2 folder as instructed in MTS "Graphics - How to get rid of solid blue water and hay grass terrain from the neighborhood view" thread. I can't post a link, sorry. When I opened that GraphicRules I first used "Save as" option and saved copy of original file on my desktop. It looks exactly like the original. They both look like they are GraphicRules.sgr. Then I changed that file as instructed and played a moment. I noticed my laptop fan was running more than usually, so I quit the game, changed the copy of original file back where it should be and I get this same error message when I tried to start my game. It even allows me to place both GraphicRules files in the same bin without complaining at all or renaming them, so they are not the same but I can't see the difference except when I open their properties and the copy is actually .txt when the original is still .sgr. So when I moved the original file back to my game folder everything worked again.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    @chesterbigbird , To keep it short, sweet and simple:
    Followed the instructions given regarding the DDU > Trouble starts to occur when trying to reinstall my drivers (I reinstalled them *out* of safe mode, not thinking much of it) > causes BSOD > Boots back up in Safe Mode > used the DDU again > reinstalled the drivers in Safe Mode this time > experienced no BSOD > Everything seems good > Starts Sims 3 > Same error message occurs.

I decided to produce another DxDiag, I've never looked over one before and so, I don't really understand most of the whats on it. But if I'm correct, it's still telling me that I have dual cards. I'm not really sure whats going on or what to say/think.

https://pastebin.com/axHmXtL8
    Yes it still lists two cards in your dxdiag. As to why i am not sure, how new is the card?
    I can see the CPU is new but the card is really old by today's standards. Maybe the card has just started to pack it in?
    If it were me i would honestly upgrade the card to something more in line with the cpu (GTX 1050-1050ti)

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    @chesterbigbird , Thanks for the response. Honestly, I agree. I think I'll just start saving up for a new card.
    Thanks so much for all the help you and @igazor have provided. Truly appreciate it all!
  • Options
    @chesterbigbird , Thanks for the response. Honestly, I agree. I think I'll just start saving up for a new card.
    Thanks so much for all the help you and @igazor have provided. Truly appreciate it all!

No problem :)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    So, I wanted to post a little update regarding the issue I had before; I can finally start Sims 3! The issue resolved itself with the latest Windows update that came out. :)
  • Options
    So, I wanted to post a little update regarding the issue I had before; I can finally start Sims 3! The issue resolved itself with the latest Windows update that came out. :)
    Glad to hear you got that sorted out, however it was done.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!