Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unable to start game. Device 0 cannot run this title

124...Next

Comments

• Alice01aAlice01a Posts: 8 New Member
    Hi
    I hope you don't me restarting this old thread. But almost a year on I'm still unable to fix this problem. I half gave up due to uni and travel I was to busy to even play games let alone fix them but I figured I would give it one more go. I love Sims 3 I've tried moving on the sims 4 but I've found it so limiting. I hate the idea that I will never be able play the families and worlds I spent so much time building again. I'll try to explain everything. I also get the error message described when trying to open sims 3. I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. I've edited the graphic rules and graphic cards files to except my card, but there was no change. Everything is up to date. The only thing that seemed to work for a little while was to basically completely wipe my computer and start again fresh, but after about 3 months the problem recurred. as much as I love sims 3 I cant continually rebuild my computer to play it. I thought to get a older graphic card to install alongside my newer one but sadly my motherboard atm only has space for the one. I've also tried installing older drivers for my gpu, reinstalling and reinstalling the drivers. but nothing I do seems to get sims 3 to recognise the card. Any help or pointers would be very much appreciated

my DxDiag file if you need it https :// pastebin. com /sDd0xj8y
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited January 2019
    @Alice01a I didn’t see anything specific that I could suggest, so I asked someone who knows far more than I do about this kind of thing. His first recommendation is to check your Windows system files for potential corruption:
    • Hit Windows key-X
    • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
    • Inside the window that appears, copy “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes and enter
    • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
    • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
    • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
    • Inside the window, copy “sfc /scannow” without quotes and enter
    • Post the message you receive here
    One thing you can try is lowering your DPI scaling to 100%, for the user and system as well as the game. Here's a guide:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2953978/displays/use-windows-10s-individual-display-scaling-to-perfect-your-multi-monitor-setup.html
  • Alice01aAlice01a Posts: 8 New Member
    Hi @puzzlezaddict thanks so much for trying to help me out here's the message from the second command all appears fine.

Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

And i tried scaling the dpi no luck unfortunatly. Somthing i've discovered thou is if i disable my graphic card via devices manager sims works. Its using the graphic card i presume is intergrated on my mother board but the sims runs far to slow to play. i dunno if thats a clue to anything.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited January 2019
    @Alice01a Sorry for such a long delay; I wanted to get the same expert opinion as before. I thought from what you said that the issue might well be your graphics card itself, but I wasn't sure where to start with that. I know you did a clean uninstall and reinstall of your graphics drivers months ago, when you were temporarily using a much weaker card. I don't know if you ever did the same for the 1060, but that's the next step now—if nothing else, it will help eliminate your drivers as a source of the issue.

So, the first thing to do is download Display Driver Uninstaller. Here's a direct download link:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/DDU/download/DDU v18.0.0.6.exe

Next, you can download the Nvidia driver from here:

https://www.nvidia.de/Download/driverResults.aspx/132976/en

Disable your internet connection, and double-click the DDU.exe. Take note of where the file will land, and click Extract. If it's easier, you can copy the path and then paste it into the address bar in a File Explorer window. Open the folder and then Display Driver Uninstaller.exe, and you'll get a message that you're not in Safe Mode. Click OK, then go to Options and enable Safe Mode dialog. Here's a screenshot of what your options should look like:
    niFsYfN.png

Close options, and the DDU, and then open the DDU.exe again. For launch options, choose "Safe Mode (Recommended)," and then click Reboot to Safe Mode (you'll need your password, so find it before rebooting). Once you login, you'll see this:
    NWgl7Ts.png

Choose GPU in the dropdown menu (step one), then Nvidia (step 2) if it's not already showing. Then click Clean and Restart (step 3).

Once your computer has rebooted, now back in normal mode, run the driver install .exe in custom mode. Select "perform a clean installation" and install ONLY the GPU driver and the PHYSX software. Reboot again and see if you have any better luck with the game.

If you still get the same error message, you can get a crash dump:
    • Hit the Windows key, type "command prompt" in the box, right-click on Command Prompt in the search results, and select Run as Administrator
    • In the window, paste "reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\devenv.exe" /v DumpType /d 2 /t REG_DWORD" without the outside quotes into the box, and enter
    • Launch TS3 and wait for it to crash (whether you can play at all or not)
    • After it crashes, wait for any crash dialogs to finish
    • Then hit Windows key-R and paste "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps" without quotes into the box, and enter
    • Upload the last .dmp file to pastebin and drop a link here, as before
    • When you want to undo the auto crash log dumps, open Command Prompt as before, paste "reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /f" without the outside quotes, and enter.

(And in case it isn't clear, all credit for this goes to the still silent benefactor who sent me these instructions, and has overall been quite generous with his time and expertise.)