Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I don't want Seasons. Please explain to me why YOU want them.

Comments

• Options
    garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    It makes it more realistic instead of 24/7 sun.
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I only played with Sims 2 Seasons and I have to say it wasn't my favorite pack either. I guess it might have been patched later but there was a temperature bug that would set people on fire if they had been in the hot tub too long... funny now and then.. but my Lothario at the time didn't take to it well. The temperature thing overall did get irritating to me.. If I wanted my sims to be outdoors having fun or gardening ect then they might have a heatstroke. I also remember after adding it in many of the builds had to be redone... They were no longer weather safe.
    I did like the greenhouse and the focus they went that way, bugs ect. I always kept the seasons pack in my line up for reinstalling though so it must have been better for me than not.

To answer though .. I'm looking forward to Seasons in the same way I've looked forward to other packs (with some trepidation) I want to see what they do in this version. I want to see how or if they put the control in our hands more... either though lot traits, or other options they will include to help us avoid catastrophe, or on the flip side knowingly step to the side and let our sims deal with it themselves.
    I know I don't want weather effects to be so over the top irritating that I'd have to want mod them out. Like if we have lightening storms make sure we have lightening rods available .. things like that.
    I know I'll have to watch the live stream before making a choice. My comparison is I waited on Pets because in the past they were just that irritating to me in Sims1 and 2... but I do enjoy that pack now for Sims 4. I don't have pets in every home and the great thing is they don't bother me if I don't want them to be part of the story. I'm hoping Seasons will be the same type of experience. Embraceable but not overwhelming my play style. I just want some assurance of control or a way out for my sims. I want the bad aspects too though. They've given me this in the past so I'm hopefully waiting this time.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member

@Sihu I have never seen, heard or read anyone describe a sunny day as depressing, what a unique perspective. I love sunshine. It's like an anti-depressant, in my opinion :) Grey days are okay though.
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    Seasons means nothing to me either. Not saying it wouldnt bring something of value to sims 4, it just isnt exciting to me at first look.
  • Options
    BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    Gosh how can somebody not want seasons?! :s
    I'm sooo bored of the sun. I need rain, thunderstorms, wind, snow. Just hope we are able to turn it off if wanted. For example I can't imagine snow in Oasis.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • Options
    MelodyElodieMelodyElodie Posts: 107 Member
    edited April 2018
    The fact that I have to download textured CC is how far I will go to see some change in the environment! I love fall so now I usually have a separate folder in my CC for a fall setting within my game but it doesn't seem as realistic as it could go.
    I think for a basic concept like The Sims about life; it is a necessity for a change of environment. Not only does it make gameplay more interesting, it's more visually pleasuring and make us, as players, feel like time is really passing as we play with our sims. There's so much you could add to gameplay by seasons that it would be silly not to consider doing it.
    I live in Britain so pretty much season was a blast for me since it was like real life. Maybe they should have a customised feature to change the weather in certain time peoirds of the 'year'. I think that would make more people happy.
    Sig.png

• Options
    ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    I don't want seasons myself, because TS3 really bogged down my system. Other than TS2, I've never seen the game create weather that didn't make things a hundred times slower. However, I would like holidays are are generally related to seasons in game, and therefore, I guess seasons will probably happen no matter what, and I'll probably still buy it.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • Options
    More_MooreMore_Moore Posts: 408 Member
    Seasons was admittedly never an EP that I was especially fond of. v .v I think it's because it usually didn't add anything extremely substantial (and some of the stuff it did add was just an annoyance), BUT because 4 has improved upon a lot of the past games' failures (such as making Toddlers actually not useless!) I have higher hopes for how they'll do weather in 4.

I'm much more into the University thing than the Seasons thing. *patiently waits for 4's version of Uni*
    Simmer since day one. Owns every Expansion and extras. Even the console games. XD

Feel free to chat me (I like games/RPGs, game dev, and animu/anime)
  • Options
    cashew11cashew11 Posts: 18 Member
    I want more than just summer. but above all that id like to see a different town introduced with it, you would think brindleton bay would be the ideal town for Seasons, but it came with Cats and Dogs, so I'm just interested to see whats coming with it.
    Im more excited about content and gameplay, TS3 seasons came with sun baking and beach style activities, I would like to see a beach world introduce and FINALLY swimmable oceans!
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2018
    cashew11 wrote: »
    I want more than just summer. but above all that id like to see a different town introduced with it, you would think brindleton bay would be the ideal town for Seasons, but it came with Cats and Dogs, so I'm just interested to see whats coming with it.
    Im more excited about content and gameplay, TS3 seasons came with sun baking and beach style activities, I would like to see a beach world introduce and FINALLY swimmable oceans!

That may be tough seeing they let go the Guru that said he'd have to design a terrain for swimmable oceans. Unless he did it for them already - not looking promising. But he made it clear the beaches in the game were not capable of sims swimming or going in them - so would definitely need a new world and that swimmable water terrain that Daniel spoke of.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member

Seasons will not come with a new world. It's too expansive and large. S3 didn't come with a new world so I don't expect one with S4 Seasons.
  • Options
    peach1redpeach1red Posts: 245 Member
    edited April 2018

Dannydanbo wrote: »

Seasons will not come with a new world. It's too expansive and large. S3 didn't come with a new world so I don't expect one with S4 Seasons.

The Sims 2 Seasons came with RiverBlossom Hills.

@cashew11

Really it depends on what they choose to add with the pack. If it's just weather and it's effects, they just might add a world, if it's more than that then there is a possibility of no. The Sims 4 isn't made quite like the Sims 3, so it's pretty unlikely that we'll actually get ocean swimming. But if they do make a world then they may make a little spot where they can swim or something that kind of resembles an ocean. (Though if they did that then I would want snorkeling and that may be a bit much.) I still wouldn't hold my breath on it, but it's more likely then full ocean swimming I guess.
    My favourite colour is #E4717A, just like any other ordinary human girl.

My Simming site: https://peachrenardssims.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    I liked seasons mostly for the visual aspect also I too don't like sunny warm summer days I'm, more of a fall person prefer the brisk cool air.
    However, the rain in the previous two series was a bit overbearing it caused more issues half of the time than the snow ever did. So if they do ever produce seasons I'm hoping they can make it more bearable.

Other than that I can wait.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I also think seasons (and pets) should just be in the base game with the option to toggle off. But they make more money this way so I don't see that happening in the history of The Sims without some drastic change within EA.

I usually want seasons for the reasons most people listed. I want the change, realism, and immersion that comes with having it. I want my sims to experience weather and changing seasons because it's part of life.

Also, seasons particularly is one of those packs that helps make the other packs even better. It doesn't just add seasonal activities giving Sims more to do, it makes activities and things that other packs provide more meaningful.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    AkilAkil Posts: 253 Member
    I love seasons because it adds a sense of time to my games and creates more atmosphere. Sun all the time just gets old to me. I need rain, I need snow, I need something that makes this FX worlds seem alive. Jumping is puddles, building snowmen, raking leaves, getting sweltering hot by a pool. All of these things might not seem like major game play but they add so much more weight to each and every family I play. No other EP in S2 or S3 ever managed to touch every last playthrough the way seasons does for me.

I honestly wasn't going to buy Sims 4 at all until they hit the seasons EP but I ended up caving in December. I'm going to regret that so much if they never make the EP (or weather GP. I'm flexable).
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    because as well as a lot of past packs it a favourite among some simmers.

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited April 2018
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »
    No matter where I go, people are begging for a seasons pack for TS4. Not only here on the forums, but also in YouTube comments of ANY official trailer/promotional video, like the devs would actually read it. It's annoying me so much that I just have to ask:

Why seasons? What's so special about it? How would it influence the game so much?

The only seasons pack I ever owned was TS3 Seasons, and it was one of my least favorite ones because it seemed like it didn't add anything special to the game. The weather was more annoying than anything else.

Look, it's summer, I definitely want to go outside! - it starts to rain the whole day.
    Oh, well...maybe tomorrow! - It continues to rain the next three days

I know I could have just turned off rain, but I wanted it to rain ON OCCASION, not every day.

Maybe it's because I live in a place where every season comes along throughout the year and things like snow in winter are not a rare thing to see. I'm tired of rain and snow in real life and I just LOVE summer because I'm not getting depressed like in winter. I just don't like it in The Sims to have the same plum weather I already have in real life.

Maybe they should add some really nice and NEW things in a Seasons Pack. Like actual snowboarding in the mountains, not tied to an object like in TS3 (btw, can someone please explain to me why I can buy a snowboard in TS3, when sims automatically get one while snowboarding anyway?)

What I just want to say in this post is that I don't understand this begging for seasons and I would like to have it explained. Seasons never added anything enjoyable for me to the game, no matter how hard i was looking for it.

ETA: I really don't know in which section this belongs to, so I just posted it into General Discussions for a start.

i would recommend a game guide if you want to know about seasons. and of course you get change in weather and seasonal activities depending on each seasons.

if you did not like it in three chances are you won't like it in four. besides that we don't really know what it will be like for four yet so its impossible to explane a lot of it.

the way cats&dogs turned out changes are seasons will end up as underwhelming as that did.
    does not sound like you would like it anyway.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    I like to play with the potentialities and limitations that are given by the different scenarios. And by scenarios I don't mean it just visually but as context, on how it affect the choices that I'd make.

It's rainning: you need to get an useful umbrella (which requires access to purchase it, money, and has an impact on the fashon style of a sim, saying a bit about his personality); if you can't go out, then needs to figure how to provide the necessities of the family confined at home; if decides to go out - possibly dies of lightning, possibly gets hit if it's a hail rain, possibly gets wet (what are the implications?), possibly things run smoothly runs for your sim but what about the soil, plants, temperature, daylight, the other sims you're meeting, and maybe there're now new activies you can do.

Just one example, now picture how many possibilities of gameplay you get for each environmental change. It definitely adds A LOT to the dynamics of how you're playing, both to fun and challenge.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    peach1red wrote: »

Dannydanbo wrote: »

The Sims 2 Seasons came with RiverBlossom Hills.

@cashew11

Really it depends on what they choose to add with the pack. If it's just weather and it's effects, they just might add a world, if it's more than that then there is a possibility of no. The Sims 4 isn't made quite like the Sims 3, so it's pretty unlikely that we'll actually get ocean swimming. But if they do make a world then they may make a little spot where they can swim or something that kind of resembles an ocean. (Though if they did that then I would want snorkeling and that may be a bit much.) I still wouldn't hold my breath on it, but it's more likely then full ocean swimming I guess.

The difference between S2 and S3 as a game is vast. Yes, S2 had seasons but nothing like the seasons we got in S3. While I agree that S4 is more compact than S3, they have given us packs as full as possible but in a different way. Vampires is the best example of that. I think we will get Seasons with as many bells and whistles as they can offer but without a world taking up valuable space in the pack.

I would prefer a beach vacation world with ocean swimming. That would include snorkeling, scuba diving and maybe walking and exploring the ocean floor wearing a diving bell. I also would like all the beach options including sand castle building (small ones for kids/adults but also big, giant ones that people do for art), using a metal detector to "hunt" for treasure, beach volleyball, shell collecting and ocean fishing for big fish like sail fish that can be mounted on our walls as in real life. This could be done with a boat on a pier you click (like in BB) and your sim teleports to a boat out in the ocean to fish from a chair that they are strapped into. This could signal the return of the Kraken. I would also like to see mermaids return in some kind of adventure in reef exploration. I also would like the surf board item back with the shark. Sims could rent huts over the water to stay in and eat at luaus with fire dancing for entertainment (a learnable skill). A Hawaiian theme or Tahitian theme (any Island paradise would work). An exploding volcano that randomly cuts your vacation short could be a fun feature. There should be an Aquarium lot similar to the Georgia Aquarium, Aquarium of the Pacific or the Newport Aquarium or any large, public aquarium with all kinds of exhibits and shows and it should be interactive, like swimming with dolphins, wading in shallow water with fishes tickling your feet and maybe an alligator show.

Sorry for being off topic with this last part but the creativity started rolling downhill.......
  • Options
    SjofnSjofn Posts: 332 Member
    I grew up somewhere that had all four seasons. I now live somewhere that the seasons are basically, to me, 'early spring, late spring, early summer' and that's it. And I really miss the seasons I no longer get to experience. I don't want my Sims living in the same sort of conditions!

More seriously, though, I like the tiny bit of unpredictability from day to day, and it also gives me a much better sense of time actually passing. I also just ... like how it looks, and it encourages me to actually use holiday-type stuff to decorate once in a while. Seasons is always the EP that makes me feel like 'okay, now I have everything to make the world feel like an actual place.'
  • Options
    monochromaticmonochromatic Posts: 25 Member
    edited April 2018
    A completely unchanging environment is extremely boring to me. Especially if it looks summer-ish, because summer is my least favorite season. I hate feeling all hot and sweaty. Lol. I don't hate winter even though I get seasonal depression. At least at first, I enjoy seeing snow, after its long absence. Lol. But my favorite seasons are spring and autumn.

Above all, I basically think that seasons are necessary in a life simulation game. Just because I dislike a certain season doesn't mean it should be left out, despite being a very basic aspect of real life (to varying degrees, depending on your location). I find that train of thought puzzling. There should be some settings to control it, so people can set it to whatever seasons/weather they want. Basically, it comes down to the ability to choose, and control your own game however much you want....In a game like this, it's very important to have options. I mean, that's sort of the whole point, I think... That's why I find it pointless to say "I don't want __", because everyone should be able to play how they like. (Basic weather and season do seem to me like something that should be in the base game, but yeah....)
  • Options
    agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    I feel like weather doesn't necessarily make the world more immersive in a video game. It's just there in the background. I don't really see the point of making an entire EP out of something that's so...empty. A few sim days, you see rain and you're like "oh, well. It's raining again. Time to send my sim to work like I do every day". Does the rain change anything about your daily routine? No, your sim just whips out an umbrella from their pocket. Like I said, I just don't see the point at all. Weather should come with the base game.

I've gone through this thread and I still can't exactly grasp what's the appeal, thought maybe people will explain in more detail but everyone's saying pretty much the same. I don't buy the argument about progression of time. If a season is set up to be 5 days, how much am I actually able to progress my sims' story? 5 days isn't a lot of gameplay. Time seems to be passing, but my sims' life stays exactly the same. What's really indicative of the time passing in game, in my opinion at least, are the milestones like pregnancies, promotions, etc. I use mods so my sims can have graduation ceremonies and baby showers, I always try to throw nice and realistic birthday parties. I don't need leaves to fall off of the trees to feel like a year has passed. There are places in the world where it's eternal summer and yet people don't feel like they're stuck in one place in their lives because the grass is always green.

The only appealing thing about Seasons is the activities that come with it, but I feel like in TS4 we can't really count on abundance of them. That's not how they roll with this iteration. We'll get something very boring and scripted probably, I'm sure we can forget about such complex and creative stuff as (for example) ice skating rinks we know from TS3.

I'd be completely content with a Seasons game pack. I want devs to save up this one EP slot for a new, fresh idea instead of something as empty and meaningless as some occasional rain.
  • Options
    uo_aaronjduo_aaronjd Posts: 425 Member
    I use seasons as a measurement of passing time. I play with ageing off as I like to gradually age my Sims and use the seasons. In sims 3 Id go through all 4 seasons , 1 year, and then age up babys and kittens/puppys. After 4 years Id age up toddlers to kids and so on and so on. So for my play style seasons are an important gauge.
    That and I'm really fed up of no rain and the world being the same old same old..."Oh look another perfect beautiful day"
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
  • Options
    BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    I always hated Seasons in Sims 2.

You own a tree? It gets on fire
    You stand outside? Heatstroke, lighting bolt, or you freeze to death
    Your houses? Any pre Seasons house roofs don't work properly
    You're in a hot tub? Your sim catches on fire
    Your child is outside during snow? Social worker takes them away

I hope the fact Sims 4 doesn't have much danger to it will carry on to its version of Seasons. I had Sims die literally within 5 minutes of booting up the game because of the seasons. No matter what season you had, death was literally in every corner.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    peach1red wrote: »
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »
    Mgalb wrote: »
    Personally I want seasons because I get tired of the same setting all the time
    i feel the same, but i think this should be included in the base game, not an expansion pack.
    there's a lot of interesting subjects and i dont think seasons is one of them, i prefer new things and new experiences so... yea. i would rather have a magic themed expansion pack than seasons.

Seasons in the base game would definitely be a step in the right direction. The same with pets, so devs can concentrate more on actually interesting and new things instead of the same things all over again, because they "have to be there". Well, if they're so important, just put them in the base game. But I guess they know that these packs make lots of money, and they wouldn't want to miss out on that.

My brother believes that if it's in the previous game it should be in the base game.

I don't think that you can put in all the weather, festivals and other features in the base game unless you want to pay $150 for it. I wouldn't mind seeing basic weather (rain, light breezes) in a base game, then Seasons could add snow, the seasonal calendar and other features, maybe even some natural disasters like heavy winds that "blow away" outdoor furniture and decor, or lightning storms that cause roof and tree fires unless you have a lightning rod.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)