Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The cats won't breed and I WANT KITTENS!

I've been trying for days to get my household's cats, Juniper and Garrus, to breed but every time a thought bubble of Garrus with the 'ugh get away' thingy across his picture appears over Juniper's head and she bats him away. They're both adult, unneutered/unspayed cats. They were adopted a few days apart but I don't think that has anything to do with the problem. I know their 'relationship' level is probably to blame but I cannot figure out how to get them to interact with each other. The 'be nice to...' option isn't appearing for either of them and I want them to have kittens so badly! Anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be? Thanks :3
tumblr_opy59iHeFc1vnq1cro1_400.gif
I do not own the above gif.

Comments

• Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    I've been trying for days to get my household's cats, Juniper and Garrus, to breed but every time a thought bubble of Garrus with the 'ugh get away' thingy across his picture appears over Juniper's head and she bats him away. They're both adult, unneutered/unspayed cats. They were adopted a few days apart but I don't think that has anything to do with the problem. I know their 'relationship' level is probably to blame but I cannot figure out how to get them to interact with each other. The 'be nice to...' option isn't appearing for either of them and I want them to have kittens so badly! Anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be? Thanks :3

What is there traits? You can try certain catnip’s to get them in the mood to play together and breed though I’ve never tried this I suspect catnip to be intended for this.

With breeding mood and traits seem to have some part of this. I found lazy animals tend to not get along too well with the active ones during the encourage to beed social.

Also just to let you know if you “encouraged to breed with..” social to one of them and they do the bating paws together there are still a chance for the female to get pregnant the chances are just low.

If you happen to encourage to breed and you see a sad buff from it failing that means they did not try to breed eathier the cat didn’t listen to your sim or there mood is bad.

If you want your cats to interact keep them happy, fed, clean litter and make sure there not lonely from lack of social because they will try to get the sims attention all the time. If you keep them happy after a bit you find them interacting with other household pets.

• Options
    LoriTSpLoriTSp Posts: 451 Member
    Well I dunno if this has anything to do with getting pets to successfully breed, but I generally make sure my Sim has at least a "friend" rating with both pets and a "good friend" rating with at least 1 of the pets. My pets generally have no problem producing offspring.
  • Options
    xosummerloverxoxosummerloverxo Posts: 245 Member
    Cheekybits wrote: »

What is there traits? You can try certain catnip’s to get them in the mood to play together and breed though I’ve never tried this I suspect catnip to be intended for this.

With breeding mood and traits seem to have some part of this. I found lazy animals tend to not get along too well with the active ones during the encourage to beed social.

Also just to let you know if you “encouraged to breed with..” social to one of them and they do the bating paws together there are still a chance for the female to get pregnant the chances are just low.

If you happen to encourage to breed and you see a sad buff from it failing that means they did not try to breed eathier the cat didn’t listen to your sim or there mood is bad.

If you want your cats to interact keep them happy, fed, clean litter and make sure there not lonely from lack of social because they will try to get the sims attention all the time. If you keep them happy after a bit you find them interacting with other household pets.

I can't think of their traits off the top of my head but I don't think they have any that would conflict with the other's.

Thanks so much for your advice! I'll definitely try all of your suggestions and let you know how it goes! :3

• Options
    LoriTSp wrote: »
    Well I dunno if this has anything to do with getting pets to successfully breed, but I generally make sure my Sim has at least a "friend" rating with both pets and a "good friend" rating with at least 1 of the pets. My pets generally have no problem producing offspring.

Both of my Sims are good friends with both the cats but that doesn't seem to matter. Thanks for responding! :3

• Options
    LoriTSpLoriTSp Posts: 451 Member
    edited April 2018
    LoriTSp wrote: »

Both of my Sims are good friends with both the cats but that doesn't seem to matter. Thanks for responding! :3

You're very welcome. Sorry to hear that :( I do hope you find a way to successfully get kittens ... this is a bit out there & I'm not sure that you would want to try it but ... change 1 of your female cat's traits to Free Spirit; I've had several of my Sims' female cats produce kittens after their impromptu trips. I realize that your male cat wouldn't be the father, but at least you would get kittens.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,946 Member
    Hmm... Try this.
    1. Click on the computer and choose Order.
    2. Choose to buy seeds.
    3. Buy two packs of catnip seeds. Open both of the packs.
    4. Give both of the cats Nuzzlenip treat by Give Catnip Treat interaction. This will make cats go into heat.
    5. Cats, that are in heat, may mate automatically and sims who encourage them to mate will be more successful.
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Just out of curiosity is one of the cats fixed? If you have a surgery machine on the lot you can click on it to see who is fixed and who isn't.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    BMSO wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity is one of the cats fixed? If you have a surgery machine on the lot you can click on it to see who is fixed and who isn't.

It's showing that both the cats are unfixed. I'll double check though the next time I go in game.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Update: I'm about to give up on having kittens. I've tried getting them both in a good mood, they're good friends or higher with the Sims suggesting they breed, I tried giving them the nuzzlenip. Nothing has worked! Everything results in the female cat, Juniper, batting the male cat, Garrus, away and then the Sim who suggested they breed gets the sad moodlet that they we're unsuccessful in their encouragement. I've run out of ideas at this point :'(

• Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Update: I'm about to give up on having kittens.
    If you really, really want kittens from these two cats, you can go into CAS/CAP and create kittens bred from their genetics. It's not ideal but at least you'd get the kittens that you want.
  • Options
    Update: I'm about to give up on having kittens. I've tried getting them both in a good mood, they're good friends or higher with the Sims suggesting they breed, I tried giving them the nuzzlenip. Nothing has worked! Everything results in the female cat, Juniper, batting the male cat, Garrus, away and then the Sim who suggested they breed gets the sad moodlet that they we're unsuccessful in their encouragement. I've run out of ideas at this point :'(

how many sim days passed in your game? and how long have they lived in the same household together?
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    how many sim days passed in your game? and how long have they lived in the same household together?

They were adopted when I first started my save. Juniper was adopted first and then a few Sim days later (like maybe 4?) Garrus joined the household. They both started out as kittens and they're each within 30 or so days of becoming elders.

• Options
    JimG72 wrote: »
    If you really, really want kittens from these two cats, you can go into CAS/CAP and create kittens bred from their genetics. It's not ideal but at least you'd get the kittens that you want.

At this point, it's a complete last resort. I'm determined to have them have kittens naturally! I even got some 'age down' treats from the vet just to keep them around lol

• Options

They were adopted when I first started my save. Juniper was adopted first and then a few Sim days later (like maybe 4?) Garrus joined the household. They both started out as kittens and they're each within 30 or so days of becoming elders.

hm what traits do they have?
  • Options

Garrus has the prowler, clever, and curious traits. Juniper has the free spirit, glutton, and fluffy traits.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Whoops the comment posted twice :D

• Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I know you're frustrated but this is part of the point of Sims 4 pets - they think for themselves.

And if you're breeding, man that can be frustrating.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,946 Member
    edited April 2018
    BMSO wrote: »

It's showing that both the cats are unfixed. I'll double check though the next time I go in game.

The relationship panel shows if pet is fixed or not.
    If pet isn't fixed, there won't be anything special said about it. If pet is, a crossed out woohoo heart is shown.
    Like I have suggested before, try the catnip way:
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Hmm... Try this.
    2. Choose to buy seeds.
    4. Give both of the cats Nuzzlenip treat by Give Catnip Treat interaction. This will make cats go into heat.
    5. Cats, that are in heat, may mate automatically and sims who encourage them to mate will be more successful.
    You can also find some catnip plants on Deadgrass Isle.
    The catnip color is pink. The catnip makes breeding cats so much easier (I had two cats automatically breed by this).
    Cats created in one household in CAS will automatically have high relationship, making breeding easier. And remember cats have high chance of getting pregnant. Dogs have small chance.
    And if you give up, you can always create kittens with Manage Households. This is actually one of the reasons I like The Sims 4.
  • Options

Garrus has the prowler, clever, and curious traits. Juniper has the free spirit, glutton, and fluffy traits.

Alright so 1 more thing are they trying to breed with something they don't like or scared of such as a tv? Cause that puts them in a bad mood unless you calm them down. If this last thing does't work I know its out there but Id say repair your game cause I did a test with the 2 cats same traits and like only had my sim talk to the male enough to get the "encourage to mate with" option to pop up and they bred with the hearts within 2 min of me adding them to my household.
  • Options
    Like I have suggested before, try the catnip way:
    Hmm... Try this.
    2. Choose to buy seeds.
    You can also find some catnip plants on Deadgrass Isle.
    The catnip color is pink. The catnip makes breeding cats so much easier (I had two cats automatically breed by this).
    Cats created in one household in CAS will automatically have high relationship, making breeding easier. And remember cats have high chance of getting pregnant. Dogs have small chance.
    And if you give up, you can always create kittens with Manage Households. This is actually one of the reasons I like The Sims 4.

I did try the nuzzlenip. All the happened was they had the pink leaves flying around their faces, they ran around a lot, and meowed non-stop until it wore off. I tried to get them to breed about 4 times while they were high on it but the same batting away happened as it always does.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Alright so 1 more thing are they trying to breed with something they don't like or scared of such as a tv? Cause that puts them in a bad mood unless you calm them down. If this last thing does't work I know its out there but Id say repair your game cause I did a test with the 2 cats same traits and like only had my sim talk to the male enough to get the "encourage to mate with" option to pop up and they bred with the hearts within 2 min of me adding them to my household.

I'll try to get them away from any known objects that they fear but I don't think that's the problem. I've had them try outside the house either in the front yard or the backyard but the same batting away thing happened then too. I'll also repair my game and let you know if that helps.

Post edited by xosummerloverxo on

• Options
    Update: I tried getting them away from any objects that they could be afraid of and I tried repairing my game. Still nothing :'(

• Options
    Rococo1256Rococo1256 Posts: 233 Member
    Hello, @xosummerloverxo

I remember someone else said that there was a glitch that involved spaying and neutering. The player had to take the cats to the vet clinic to spay and neuter them, then immediately unspay and unneuter them. After this they bred successfully. Maybe try spaying and neutering first, then reverse the procedure.

I know you shouldn't have to do that, but it might be worth a try. I can't remember where the original info was.

I hope you get the problem solved!
    I am GreenRocket on the Gallery.
  • Options
    Rococo1256 wrote: »
    Hello, @xosummerloverxo

I remember someone else said that there was a glitch that involved spaying and neutering. The player had to take the cats to the vet clinic to spay and neuter them, then immediately unspay and unneuter them. After this they bred successfully. Maybe try spaying and neutering first, then reverse the procedure.

I know you shouldn't have to do that, but it might be worth a try. I can't remember where the original info was.

I hope you get the problem solved!

Just did this. Still not working :'(

• Options
    Also just a PSA: Sorry if I'm a bit snippy today. I've been really tired the past few days and I get really cranky when I'm tired lol I really appreciate all of your suggestions!