Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rotational Play

TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
Does anyone else dislike it?

It doesnt suit me at all. When I try to focus on having all of those other families and stories going, it removes a lot of the immersion for me and I lose focus on building any sort of connection with the sims. I waste so much effort on creating sims to add into that rotational style and less on getting to know the family.

I have found that I like to focus on one family, usually, a married couple with one child and watch them raise them. Theoretically, I would focus on the one family as a whole, until the parents die and then their child becomes my main Sim. And I create someone for them to marry and the whole process begins over :)<3
Post edited by TheHarbinger_51 on

Comments

• Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I enjoy rotational play but I don't stick with one family a whole sim week then move on. I have got as far as several having toddlers and arranging a play date, and also remembering to turn aging on just for the house I am playing. as too many families I wanted to play were getting old and some dying. I want to be able to play everyone. then I get bored and start again. I had to start fresh yesterday because of too many glitches bugs. So I have started with a brand new sim. get her life started then I'll move on. But she will be my main character.
  • Options
    Oh okay. I can't stand it. For all of the reasons in my OP <3 But its cool you enjoy it @feetinstockings
  • Options
    littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    my tolerance for it comes and goes. I really only rotate between my related households (all descended from my founder) but playing all the other households to catch 'em up to speed just drains me. . . sometimes it's fun but more often it's a chore. someones gotta get these goofs hitched tho and that someone is me cuz I feel obligated to perfectly match every couple
    6riwm5.png
  • Options
    MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    I pretty much stick to multiple households of the same family, too. Move out kids when they've grown up, some of them I keep playing, others I lose interest in and end up marking as unplayed
  • Options
    DustwebDustweb Posts: 7 New Member
    I have tried doing it, but get bored of it as there is less time to build relationships and skills. I do switch households occasionally though, but usually only have 2-3 I do this with - I could not manage to spend one week with a family and then move on, as I tend to favour certain households over others.
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    It's how I used to play in Sims 2... I'd play a day in a family and move on... I haven't really done it here yet, but I might try just to have a more active neighborhood where things actually happen....
  • Options
    All of my sims are limited to having one baby throughout their lifetime.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I love it but all of the families are part of a larger world story. I have two rival crime families, one politician per world some corrupt some not, dirty cops, some wholesome families, some marriages gone wrong, some innocents get caught in the middle of the corruption, etc.

If I had to play one family, I would be bored. It is why I struggled with Sims 3 so much. There was no real rotational play. I totally understand feeling like you can only have one kid per family. I am having that issue now because there is not enough room in the worlds. I literally bought cats and dogs for the world and more space.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I don't do rotational play in one file because that feels too unorganized to me. I love having different legacy files though. In fact, I have 3 separate files going simultaneously as of now. I can focus on one family per file and just rotate which file I play weekly. Each family is different in the amount of kids, type of employment, and where they live.

This way to play may be a style you can try, as you still can focus and care about just one family, but rotate to a different file and do the same with another family too.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    I used to enjoy it more in Sims2, where it was truly necessary in order to age up the neighboring Sims. Now, it's not really as much fun, nor all that necessary. The neighborhood ages, if you've set it up, on its own. I played my ancestors on rotation, so that they had their familial ties in place. But once the two eldest got married, I end up focusing on their own household more. I then remembered, whoopsie, they both had younger siblings born around the same time as their second child. I had to go back and CAS the siblings into their respective households. My bad.

OP, that's the beauty of this game. There are no set 'rules' or even guidelines to follow. You play the way you desire to play. Rotation is not required to 'level up', for instance. It's sandbox play. I play my game according to my own values. My Sims don't woohoo out of wedlock, normally, nor do they cheat on their spouses, so break ups and divorce is very rare in my game. I've had a total of three divorces since I began simming with Sims2, all the way to date. That's not to say those that love that kind of drama are wrong to play that way, it's just not for me.

Glad you shared your viewpoint! It's nice to hear another sides of things.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
    I’m not really a big fan of rotational play as well. I’ve tried it before, but Ive found I prefer focusing on one household. If I was going to do rotational play it would just be members of the same family. This being said I would be willing to try it again in the future
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I rotate between 30+ households in my main save. I’ve had it going for a little over 2 years now. It bores me to focus on a single household for too long; I need some variance, otherwise it just feels monotone.
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I can stand it for a while then It just becomes to much for me to keep up with. I end up starting over but I really wanna push myself to do it this time around because I have always wanted to have a family that goes past gen 2. :D
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    I don't do rotational play in one file because that feels too unorganized to me. I love having different legacy files though. In fact, I have 3 separate files going simultaneously as of now. I can focus on one family per file and just rotate which file I play weekly. Each family is different in the amount of kids, type of employment, and where they live.

This way to play may be a style you can try, as you still can focus and care about just one family, but rotate to a different file and do the same with another family too.

Yeah this is how I play as well. I rotate through multiple saves usually playing an in-game week with each save before moving on to a different save (with the exception of my Full Collection Save which I only play for in game three days or so before moving onto some of my other saves). I don't play a strict rotation sometimes I don't feel like playing a particular save or I want to play a save for longer it depends on how I'm feeling when I load up the game.

I do like playing actual rotational games in Sims 2 but for Sims 4 it just doesn't work for me for whatever reason.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    NimieNimie Posts: 206 Member
    Right now, I begin to play rotational but in the same file, I've never thought of having my families in different saves and I really like that play style more (rotational), I used to play one family in one biggest save but I got bored easily
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    I have tried to fixate on only one household in a saved game but I can't. That is why I am so ambivalent towards Sims 3 where rotational play (especially in the beginning) was not easy and just about impossible except with mods. Here I have almost 20 households and about 7-8 'main' households that I favor. With so many households, I don't weave them all into one big huge story. I prefer to split up the stories that have a few households intertwining into it, especially within a world. Then these little stories can be dependant within their set households or might interract with other stories as the household from one story might have an encounter with another household from that story. Thus mingling up the stories abit.

Some households I even don't play a whole week. These households are a support households. But I usually spend at least 1-2 weeks in the more favored households. That gives me enough immersion without my attention deficit to kick in which, these days, is severe.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2018
    No, the one thing TS4 has going for it is the rotational play though they didn't actually support it like they promised. Babies named in my absence is a good example. Hello, send me a note, since they like popups so much there should have been one to name the baby if I was playing a different household.

I have played rotational for over sixteen years in The Sims series so, I can't hardly imagine how anyone could stick with only one family at a time, and generation after generation in the same house and never knowing what other Sims feel about stuff in the town. I would have been bored to tears by now and thrown down The Sims if I only played Old Man Lum and didn't know the Goths were tortured by ghosts every night. ETA: Think about it, rotational players are true multitaskers keeping up with everyone in town..lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    Rotationally is the only way I play
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    jude72plajude72pla Posts: 784 Member
    No, I play one family at a time.
  • Options
    ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    My play style is mostly rotational(kinda).
    When I got TS4 I played with only 1 family for year and half. Then I got really bored with the game so I quit playing. I was looking for ideas to make it fun again.

Then it hit me: I started playing with premades rotationally. I have few saves like that actually. I have one where I play aging off because I wanna see all the premades(+ maxiscreator_01) interacting with each other.
    When I play that save I change the family based on what I wanna do atm: if I wanna go bowling I focus the premades from Bowling Night SP, if I feel down to earth or kinda hippy I play with Laundry Day premades, when I'm into Vampires it's Vlad's turn to shine, If I wanna spend time with pets I play with C&D premades etc.

And then I have a save where I play with aging on and premades marry each other, kids move out, start a family etc.

I have been playing like this for 1 year now and it works for me. When my bf plays TS4 he focus mainly on careers, skills etc. He hates playing rotationally.
    The Sims games are great because there are SO MANY ways to play it. There is something for everybody!
  • Options
    CursedDiceCursedDice Posts: 978 Member
    I fill all the playable sim slots with my family and then maybe add mods that allow me to add more. Keep them immortal by turning aging off. Play all members for a while then I'll create another family (which might also fill all the slots), repeat and switch between then whenever I please, but I do tend to stick with one after I've made all the families
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I love rotational play. But not in the sims 4. As Cinebar said, it's not been supported as promised. Babies can be named in your absence and sims and pets can die when you aren't there with not even a warning.

When I play rotational in the sims 2 I love that when I leave House A on Monday in game at 3pm, the woman will still be pregnant and everyone won't have aged by time I get back.
    I know it's not for everyone but for me that's the only way to give the player full control. In TS4, if I leave House A on Monday morning and go to House B, everyone in house B won't be at work or school, they may have gotten skills I didn't want them to have like my lazy sim has got some fitness skill and while I see House A out and about in the neighbourhood I'm very aware their lives are carrying on and I'm missing out on things like say getting a child to fulfill an aspiration or a toddler to max their skills. I feel I have to play on long to try and feel like a have time with every family.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Sims 4 has a lot going for it for me, I can't stand playing rotational. But everyone sure has their own likes and dislikes, thats certain @Cinebar
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    The only save where I play rotational fully is on my one main save with all the "legacies" and households I intend to keep on going. It's also the only one where I keep Aging on and to Long, and only aging when I'm currently playing the household. Who cares if those other households aren't caught up? I rotate however many times I want, whether it be a week, less than a week, or a fortnight! The sheer variance of household styles is the only thing keeping any kind of gameplay from getting stale (though currently TS4 just bores me more often now). The rest of the roational saves I play are simply for casual play and have Aging off, which I do a lot more of these days.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    I've tried rotational play before, but the trouble I have is that I begin to form a favourite household, and just end up playing with them all the time