Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Under terrible circumstances, I got a new computer

HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
edited March 2018 in Off Topic Chat
My grandmother, who I loved very much, and talked about here sometimes, passed away on the 25th of February. She'd been injured in a fire and ended up getting sick. We just got home yesterday. When she came to my family's home before going back to South Florida, she brought a lot of her stuff with her, including her desktop computer. I asked my mom and my aunt if I could take it and they both said it was fine. I'm moving my sims 3 from my laptop to the desktop if I can find somewhere to put it since there's only one desk in my bedroom that my laptop is on. The desktop is Windows10 and has 500GB of hard drive and 4GB of memory. I posted about that on social media and a friend said that much memory would be fine.
Origin ID
HillyPlays
P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything

Comments

• Options
    TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
    Hey there. I'm really sorry to hear about your grandmother. Sending you hugs, I hope you find strength during this trying time. <3

Best of luck with moving your game, when I moved mine from my desktop computer to my laptop, I first downloaded TS3 and all my expansion packs onto the laptop. When that was finished, I copied my "The Sims 3" folder on my desktop onto a flash drive and named it "The Sims 3 backup". I then replaced the "The Sims 3" folder that had been generated on my laptop with my "The Sims 3 backup" folder. I then renamed it to simply "The Sims 3" after I'd replaced the folder.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Hey there. I'm really sorry to hear about your grandmother. Sending you hugs, I hope you find strength during this trying time. <3

Best of luck with moving your game, when I moved mine from my desktop computer to my laptop, I first downloaded TS3 and all my expansion packs onto the laptop. When that was finished, I copied my "The Sims 3" folder on my desktop onto a flash drive and named it "The Sims 3 backup". I then replaced the "The Sims 3" folder that had been generated on my laptop with my "The Sims 3 backup" folder. I then renamed it to simply "The Sims 3" after I'd replaced the folder.

Thanks. I just hope it'll run with Windows10. I've heard people- friends- say their games wouldn't run on Windows10.

PS: My current laptop has 2GB of memory and makes sims 3 freeze in the third week. (ironic, since week 3 is winter if you have Seasons and run the gameplay weeks on default 7 days for each season.)
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited March 2018
    HillyBeth wrote: »

Thanks. I just hope it'll run with Windows10. I've heard people- friends- say their games wouldn't run on Windows10.

PS: My current laptop has 2GB of memory and makes sims 3 freeze in the third week. (ironic, since week 3 is winter if you have Seasons and run the gameplay weeks on default 7 days for each season.)

Sorry to hear about your grandmother :'(

2gb of ram is not enough to run the game why your having issues on your laptop. Your video card and processor also count, not just the amount of ram. Computers that contain only 2 gb ram probably would not have a video card and processor that meet requirement to run the game. You may also have issues on the desktop. Windows 10 takes allot more to run. You only have 4gb ram. The game alone needs 4gb ram to run not including windows and origin. If your video card and processor don't meet requirements , you may run into more issues. This game does require a mid range gaming desktop to run the way it should.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

2gb of ram is not enough to run the game why your having issues on your laptop. Your video card and processor also count, not just the amount of ram. Computers that contain only 2 gb ram probably would not have a video card and processor that meet requirement to run the game. You may also have issues on the desktop. Windows 10 takes allot more to run. You only have 4gb ram. The game alone needs 4gb ram to run not including windows and origin. If your video card and processor don't meet requirements , you may run into more issues. This game does require a mid range gaming desktop to run the way it should.

My laptop ran the game fine for a while, but it's now been seven years since I got that computer. I've had Sims 3 registered since June of 2011 and didn't get my laptop until November or December of that year. Sims 4 runs better on my laptop and I have more packs for that one! Also, the desktop I now have was a recent purchase from my aunt. It's two years old now, I think.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Sorry to hear about your grandmother. (((Hugs)))

I have Windows 10 and it works fine.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your grandmother. (((Hugs)))

I have Windows 10 and it works fine.

If I can find all the wires for it- I think one is missing- then I'm going to download Origin and install my EPs from there. I'd also love to get the rest of those packs. I'm going to delete 3 off my laptop since 4 runs better there, but not until we can get my desktop running right.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I am sorry to hear what happened :(
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    I am sorry to hear what happened :(

Thanks. I almost didn't want to walk into the chapel at the funeral home. I stood just outside the door and cried for 10 minutes. She and I were very close.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother :cry: .

I hope you get the game up and running. Mine works fine on Windows 10 too.

Same. As I've said I don't think I have all the connections to get the computer to work. The screen and tower turn on, but after the 'acer' logo, nothing happens. So I'm probably missing something.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
  • Options

My laptop ran the game fine for a while, but it's now been seven years since I got that computer. I've had Sims 3 registered since June of 2011 and didn't get my laptop until November or December of that year. Sims 4 runs better on my laptop and I have more packs for that one! Also, the desktop I now have was a recent purchase from my aunt. It's two years old now, I think.

You did state you would have issues after 3 generations on your laptop. Once the saves get larger it becomes a problem if your computer is under-powered. The age of the laptop will also cause issues after a while. 7 years for a laptop is a long time. Average lifespan of a laptop is 3-5 years

I responded to you in your tech thread
  • Options
    MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member

You did state you would have issues after 3 generations on your laptop. Once the saves get larger it becomes a problem if your computer is under-powered. The age of the laptop will also cause issues after a while. 7 years for a laptop is a long time. Average lifespan of a laptop is 3-5 years

I believe they said three sim weeks , default span of seasons on 7 days each. Which put them in winter , the save freezer ! :o but yes three generations in one save can cause problems. Which is probably why I moved once or twice per generation subconsciously

Happy Simming!♥
  • Options

I believe they said three sim weeks , default span of seasons on 7 days each. Which put them in winter , the save freezer ! :o but yes three generations in one save can cause problems. Which is probably why I moved once or twice per generation subconsciously

There are ways to clean your save .You can ask user igazor. He has had the same game for years. This should help if your computer meets requirements

If op only has 2gb computer ram, they have a lower end computer and are lucky they can make it to 3 sim weeks. My current game has quite a few sims years on it and I play 28 day seasons
  • Options
    GrijzePilionGrijzePilion Posts: 588 Member
    That's rough, hope the computer will have some special meaning to you.
    Having said that, 4 gigs of RAM isn't quite enough to play TS3 on. Not smoothly, anyway. You won't be able to run the game with more than a couple of expansions for very long.
    Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88!
    (oh, and follow me on my Tumblr)
    i5-6600K • 16GB • 2x GTX 1070 • 2x 500GB 850 EVO
  • Options
    Having said that, 4 gigs of RAM isn't quite enough to play TS3 on. Not smoothly, anyway. You won't be able to run the game with more than a couple of expansions for very long.

I have all EPs up to Island Paradise. The third-week freeze started a couple months ago and I've had the packs for more than a few years.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
  • Options
    GrijzePilionGrijzePilion Posts: 588 Member
    edited March 2018
    Well it's always possible to upgrade the RAM should you be willing to invest a little bit of money in it. 8 gigs of RAM'll set you back little more than $50 nowadays.
    Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88!
    (oh, and follow me on my Tumblr)
    i5-6600K • 16GB • 2x GTX 1070 • 2x 500GB 850 EVO
  • Options
    Well it's always possible to upgrade the RAM should you be willing to invest a little bit of money in it. 8 gigs of RAM'll set you back little more than $50 nowadays.

I don't have very much saved up, but my dad should be getting a check for a case he'd won. He sued his boss's company for an on-the-job injury and had to have three screws put in his hip. I can't remember the amount he'll be getting though. He promised I'd get a new computer after our house and their car were completely paid off, but I'll see if I can get a desktop RAM upgrade instead, unless he's able to do both so I can still play when I leave the house on long trips. (like a week or two-long trip)
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
  • Options

I have all EPs up to Island Paradise. The third-week freeze started a couple months ago and I've had the packs for more than a few years.

IP is really messed up and can cripple some of the best computers. There are ways to fix it before playing in IP but IP also needs a more powerful computer to run it. Pets is the most demanding EP with Seasons , IP and ITF not far behind. When you add them all together in the game , you need a mid range gaming computer to run them. The more you add to this game, the more demanding the game becomes.

Have you hit error code 12? Error code 12 is the game running out of memory. We have seen people with 4 gb computer ram get error code 12. Having 2 gb ram would be worse.
  • Options
    gerefteastgerefteast Posts: 353 Member
    Oh. So sorry to hear about your grandma :disappointed:
    understand the significance of the signatures