Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Out of curiosity, would you buy a new computer just to play The Sims?

Comments

• Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    edited February 2018
    -Double Post-
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    Yes
    Yes... sort of...

I *kinda* had to after Hurricane Matthew put my old PC under about 3 feet of water back in 2016. So I guess in a way, I did buy a new PC just to play my Sims on (mostly what I do).
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,187 Member
    My current computer? No. My old computer I built back in 2016 just kind of....burnt out. Like every part just said "WELP! Time to die!" and died. I built this computer so I can get back to my AAA gaming and stuff.

My computer I bought back in 2013 however, yeah I bought that to specifically play Sims 3 because the computer I got back in 2007 was not cutting it anymore....I mean in all honesty it never cut it for Sims 3 in the first place. I got that computer back in 2013 still thinking I'd be a "Console gamer" heheheheheheheheh that is before I really realized I had an actual gaming PC and just stuck to that when I found out about Steam sales.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,984 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    I asked the same question on twitter, so I'd be interested to see what the forums have to say on the subject.

Twitter results:

186 votes total

86% YES
    14% NO

I will be getting a new laptop soon for that purpose,I have several packs to catch up on when I get it.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Yes
    Still a lot of yes votes. I'd find it interesting if EA would send out an official survey on this; though I'm not sure how such a result would pan out as I'm sure there wouldn't be a way to filter out by age.
  • Options
    lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member
    Yes
    I did. lol I updated a computer my bro-in-law built for me for Christmas one year and ended up with two computers in the end. One for my sims games and one to watch tv shows on. lol
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    I JUST did! And I love it! :)<3

Very happy. Im also gonna play life is strange and a few other titles....
  • Options
    SimlingSproutSimlingSprout Posts: 2 New Member
    Yes
    I didn't exactly had to buy a brand new one, but my dad had an amazing PC so I was able to get it from him in exchange of mine. He knows I love gaming on my PC and how slow my old one was and he wasn't using his old gaming PC. 100% best thing I have ever done for my game. It runs smoothly and much better than before.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    No
    You will have to buy a new computer if cou can onlyplay in 32Bit and want Jungle Adventures. Entry level for it is 64Bit.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Yes
    Simburian wrote: »
    You will have to buy a new computer if cou can onlyplay in 32Bit and want Jungle Adventures. Entry level for it is 64Bit.

I thought the whole game was 64bit from the beginning @Simburian?
  • Options
    NathanANathanA Posts: 39 Member
    Yes
    I'm actually saving up right now for this really beautiful PC, that has a rainbow coloured led light in the keyboard. It's going to cost around £800-£900 pound so it's only £100 pounds more expensive, but I'm poor and I'm a student so it'll take a while to save up all that money. I'm getting it so I can play all of the EPs together, and the new GP that's coming out soon. Currently, though paying for the expansions, I can't run them all together. Hopefully this new PC can run all of the packs I own.

The reason why I'd spend my money on TS4 is because I am an introvert and most other games that interest me are multiplayer, which I struggle playing due to my personality. Therefore, Sims is perfect to me. You get to be around virtual people, but there aren't risks of them attacking you because it's just a life sim.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited February 2018
    No
    aricarai wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »

I thought the whole game was 64bit from the beginning @Simburian?

No it wasn't. I cannot remember the exact date they let you make a choice of either, but I pleaded for them to make it 64Bit some time ago. You could opt for 32Bit until recently but I don't know if the game would be playable now if you added C & D and the new gamepack on an older machine. Entry level was upgraded.

PS. Just checked. The patch of December 4th 2015 was when 64Bit was introduced to give us a choice.
    Post edited by Simburian on
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    No
    aob wrote: »
    I would and I did!

Off topic but:
    You have a FOB gif I love it :)

I still am genuinely surprised by the results of this poll. The mentality and worldview I am reading here is so vastly different from my own and the people I know. Many of them were also surprised who I showed this to.
    This is why I like polls they always show me how different we all are.
    (Did I mostly think of something on topic to say to get in the FOB comment yes, but I am still enjoying looking at these polls :D:p )
  • Options
    SoulPunkSoulPunk Posts: 19 Member
    Yes
    I already have,the computer I am typing on now is the one I got for simming!
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    No
    No, When I can build my own. Besides my current pc does an amazing job with my gaming needs. :wink:
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    Yes
    I did when Sims 2 came out. But I play a lot of different games, usually with higher reqs than Sims so I haven't had to since then--I just build a new system every 3-4 years or so and upgrade in between as needed.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Yes
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    aob wrote: »
    I would and I did!

Off topic but:
    You have a FOB gif I love it :)

I still am genuinely surprised by the results of this poll. The mentality and worldview I am reading here is so vastly different from my own and the people I know. Many of them were also surprised who I showed this to.
    This is why I like polls they always show me how different we all are.
    (Did I mostly think of something on topic to say to get in the FOB comment yes, but I am still enjoying looking at these polls :D:p )
    Compare it to other hobbies. I have a brother who travels to all kinds of golf courses to play golf or he travels even to other countries on tours with friends on the motor bike he bought just for that purpose. (He has a car too.) You can find many hobbies that are much more expensive than gaming.

So if the result surprises you then remember that we are in the forum for the most hardcore simmers who likely play the game almost every day and have done so for years! We aren’t casual simmers who only bought the game on an impulse, played it a little and then forgot about it. We didn’t even hesitate to decide if we should buy it because we wanted it badly and it is a huge part of our lives. So if we need a better computer to make it run better then we usually just buy such a computer if we can afford it!

So for me there likely only will be two types of simmers who would answer no:
    1. Casual simmers who maybe bought the game and maybe also a couple of packs later but who have other more important interests in their lives anyway and therefore only play the game occasionally. (Most of those simmers aren’t in this forum at all. But they are likely the biggest customers for the game anyway!)
    2. Simmers who don’t have much money and who therefore need to plan carefully before they buy expensive things like a new computer even if they need it badly for a game that they play almost every day.
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    Im more amazed that anyone could be amazed by this. I mean why else would someone hang out on a forum for a certain video game , rather often , might I add...if they didnt like it enough to buy the equipment they need to play it properly? That doesnt make sense to me honestly.

I think most of us here have been simming for yearssssssssss. So It makes so much more sense to me that most of us would buy a new pc :) I honestly think its more bizarre the other way around lol <3o:)@BeJaWa
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    edited February 2018
    Yes
    nevermind
    Post edited by Rukola_Schaaf on
    i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Yes
    i would have gladly bought a new computer for TS4 but it's not needed at all
    cause the game attempts to run on consoles :smirk:
    & nope, i won't be buying a console for TS4 :joy:
    I think that the console version mostly is targeted at gamers who already own a console because they generally prefer games for consoles. So if TS4 is the only game they would want to play on a PC then they maybe haven’t bought it before the version for consoles was released.

Personally I have often thought about buying a console. But the games seem mostly to be action games and games where you play against another player in the same room. I don’t play such games. So apparently console gaming just isn’t for me.
  • Options
    teamothyteamothy Posts: 8 New Member
    Yes
    To be honest, Sims is more addictive than any other substance. I don't know why, but I know that I have canceled school, work, plans, eating, sleeping, etc just to stay home and play Sims. I bought this computer for programming, but all I do nowadays is play Sims...
  • Options
    GlitterbuGlitterbu Posts: 58 Member
    No
    I wouldn't buy it solely for the purpose of playing the sims, but no doubt it'll end up on my computer, as it always does
    s7fTQtj.jpg
  • Options
    mommy19959699mommy19959699 Posts: 226 Member
    No
    I chose no because for years I played on mediocre computers and it never bothered me until it came time to view my screenshot. When I uploaded the pic to show it off, it felt bad to see the pic look kinda bad. Still yet, not sure I'd spend that chunk of money for the sake of one game. I play MMOs and The Sims so the upgrade was excusable to me. Now that I have a new computer, I've also ventured out and tried other games too. Now i'm spoiled and ultra is the only way to go.
  • Options
    KasanthKasanth Posts: 166 Member
    edited February 2018
    No
    The only reason I voted no is because a year ago I bought the parts and built a custom gaming PC. It runs things just fine.
    Besides that, the Sims isnt the only game I play, so no I wouldnt just for the Sims.
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    Yes
    Absolutely , that is the sole reason for determining if I need a new computer . I got a new one for sims2 and a new one for sims3 . So far this computer is running well but as soon as I start having lag or any other such problems because it's to old then I will buy a new one.
    Laugh out loud. Often