Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Bouncy Castle: Bounce off Some of Your Ideas Here! ALL GAMES WELCOME

Comments

• Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    Ok, I need some help coming up with reasons for 2 characters to break up. :) Any suggestions? Relationships are like foreign territory to me. :lol:

cheating.

@friendsfan367 That's already on my list but I can't just use that one! Thanks though. :)

secrets get revealed.

I don't think that one would really work in this situation but adding to my list. :) Thanks again. :)
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Ok, I need some help coming up with reasons for 2 characters to break up. :) Any suggestions? Relationships are like foreign territory to me. :lol:

I hope it's not Claude going through another breakup! Either have them have incompatible traits (or a mean sim who keeps being mean to the spouse), have one cheat, or have one go through a midlife crisis.
  • Options
    Simtown15 wrote: »

I hope it's not Claude going through another breakup! Either have them have incompatible traits (or a mean sim who keeps being mean to the spouse), have one cheat, or have one go through a midlife crisis.

Not Claude. :open_mouth: How could you even think so?! No, don't worry, he's married now and very happy. I'm talking about his teenage daughter. :)

It might help to explain these characters are around 17-23ish (I'm keeping Rye's dating life broad in case I want to drag it out a little bit before she settles down with anyone) so no middle life crisis for either of them. :lol:
  • Options
    IchigoUsagiIchigoUsagi Posts: 822 Member
    @Bugsie2016 I haven't had much dating experience, but maybe one of them could realize that they don't feel as strongly about the relationship as the other does. An imbalance in how much attraction the members of a couple feel towards one another can be really taxing on a relationship. For example, if one person is head over heels, telling the other person how much they love them every day, this would become exhausting for the other person if they don't feel that attraction at the same level. They might even start to feel guilty for not loving their partner as much as their partner loves them. And for the head over heels person, they might start to feel neglected or unloved because their partner doesn't express the same level of attraction. As I believe was said in the writers' lounge, a change in preference can also break up a relationship. In some cases, the preference doesn't even need to change in order to break up a relationship (say a completely hetero person is dating someone who is ace or aro, but still experiences either romantic or the other kind of attraction towards them. Things would become difficult for the hetero person to not be receiving what- to them- is a normal part of a relationship, and the ace/aro person would feel uncomfortable and pressured into giving what they can't give. Of course that wouldn't always happen, it's just one way that a relationship could fall apart).
    These are kind of the reasons that my first and only real relationship ended, so they can definitely break a couple up! To explain the above a little more, I'm ace and knowing that my partner expected more from me than I could give him was really difficult. :sweat_smile:
    Sorry that got a little personal!

Also, sorry if someone else has already given similar answers, or if you've already decided, I just thought I'd share my thoughts in case they could be helpful.
  • Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    Hi everyone!

I have an idea for a very random and very strange story or series that I'd appreciate some feedback on before I devote a crazy amount of brain power towards!

I'm considering writing a diary-style story from the perspective of a character who stalks NPC sims. Imagine them sitting on a park bench watching the people around them, observing their behavior and speculating about their lives. Each chapter will probably be fairly stand alone until I start seeing the same NPCs day after day, and I'd love if a plot starts to unfold even if it's completely fabricated by the spectator.

While it's inevitably going to have a slightly creepy vibe, I'd like to express the idea that the main character is anti-social and just people watching, but does NOT have sinister intentions.

I intend to give over-the-shoulder and shifted profile shots instead of ever giving a screenshot of the main character's face to help give the feeling that the reader is the stalker.

I know this might come across as a touchy question, but I would like opinions on what the main character should look like. I think it would be better if it were a woman because (stereotypically speaking) that's more relatable to the readers here, less threatening than a male stalker, and more likely to be creatively insightful about stranger's lives. Does that make sense? I don't mean to offend male readers here! Any suggestion on hair color and clothing styles and colors that might suggest comfort? I'm thinking baggier clothing would offer comfort and privacy to a character who is socially awkward/anxious.

Thoughts?
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    @Karilan The stalker could be Eliza Pancakes.
  • Options
    IchigoUsagiIchigoUsagi Posts: 822 Member
    @Karilan maybe colors that don't stand out would be a good idea? Neutral tones like browns and grays could help the stalker character blend into the background.
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited January 2018
    @Karilan I wonder if you make the character a social outcast like an individual with a disability or a person who is displaced and out of a home, someone on the outside looking in with longing, wanting to be included, but doesn't know how to approach people, a person who is often overlooked. Or maybe Deaf so they can't hear but can still observe color, light, smells, tastes, and feelings. Or a person returning from military service overseas, a veteran trying to figure out how to reintegrate in society without family or the camaraderie of a unit. I say all of this with respect and as a person who tries to not "overlook" anyone in society. They hold a special place in my heart.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    edited January 2018
    @Karilan I wonder if you make the character a social outcast like an individual with a disability or a person who is displaced and out of a home, someone on the outside looking in with longing, wanting to be included, but doesn't know how to approach people, a person who is often overlooked. Or maybe Deaf so they can't hear but can still observe color, light, smells, tastes, and feelings. Or a person returning from military service overseas, a veteran trying to figure out how to reintegrate in society without family or the camaraderie of a unit. I say all of this with respect and as a person who tries to not "overlook" anyone in society. They hold a special place in my heart.

there was one bender attempt i think the first one and noel and lauren pretended they had no clue who ayden was it was just after his divorce and of course he met christine at a bad time.

i didn't use mods then i did get the relationship to romantic but thats all ayden made the descions on what he wanted to do.
  • Options
    Awhile back I asked for some thoughts about my rewrite and publishing schedule for KCLKF. Here's an update over on my blog. I've also decided to write all the chapters for KCLKF and then release instead of publishing as I go as this will be less stress for me.

And the new cover reveal...
    cropped-cover.jpg?w=474&h=356

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    LillyDovesLillyDoves Posts: 698 Member
    edited January 2018
    So Maxis Match or Alpha? I’m thinking about transitioning some but not sure. What are everyone’s thoughts?

Soooo anyone know someone who makes banners?
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
  • Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    Thanks for your input guys!

@simtown15 I rarely played townies, which is what's going to make this guessing game of a story fun! Is Eliza particularly observant?

@IchigoUsagi Fabulous idea! I had toyed with either making her a wallflower, or dressed really out there or punky to make people avert their gaze away. I prefer the idea that people hardly even notice her.

@AdamsEve1231 Hmm you've really got the wheels spinning for me! Were I to use a slightly older protagonist, returning from military would be a fantastic challenge - I've never written from that kind of perspective before. I think I will still work that in somehow. I'm in the process of writing a character who is deaf (Magnolia Metamorphosis) so I won't reuse that, but I'm going to find something that would have her grow up as a bit of an outcast. Thanks!

@friendsfan367 Aww, they pretended now to know him? That would be very purposefully making someone an outcast! I wonder what the repercussions would be.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @LillyDoves: good question that'll get you a different answer from different people. Mine is in short "Maxis Match all the way, baby" and I can justify it from my own personal standpoint. Before TS4 I'd often see simmers transition from no CC at all to lots and lots of it and it used to not be completely jarring. Especially in TS3 because the textures on clothes and objects were more detailed (if jagged or lower resolution, shhh!) and its own native hair and some clothes used alpha transparencies and quite liberally at times.

(as a side note, "alpha" is not just a term coined for non-Maxis Match content. If used ~truly~ it refers to alpha transparency. I technically have alpha dresses that don't particularly clash with my Maxis Match style, but they're not "true MM" because they use transparency to make parts of the mesh transparent for lace and sheer fabric and stuff. Meanwhile I've seen detailed skins referred to as "alpha" and you can't really make an alpha skin. They're just not Maxis Match! But hey, language shifts...)

I personally don't use alpha CC and it's not my fave aesthetic. But I can appreciate people who don't go halfway with it. It's just a lot of hard work because TS4 as a whole does its mightiest to fight against that, like with objects and scenery being extremely stylized.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    @Karilan I'm not sure, but she's known for "stalking" the player's sims, though that makes her kind of infamous in the Sims 4 communtiy. http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Eliza_Pancakes You can change her appearance to make her fit the story, but should still keep her recognizable.
  • Options
    @Karilan Interesting. Magnolia Metamorphosis is an incredible name. I love it. I took sign language in high school and tutored in it during college and taught one course post my undergrad so I'm familiar with the Deaf culture. It's a fascinating, rich, and vibrant culture and I love how tight knit they are.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    @simscognito told me to bounce the idea around in the bouncy castle and see what happens.

I got city living right around October last year. Roughly... ish. exact date i'm not sure of. But Nanowrimo was coming up and the novels I had been writing for that I wasn't ready to dive back into. So i took my city living playing around with it as my jump board for my november novel. All I really went off of was "Oh city living I want to check this out. Mess around with the help of my daughters to make a very pink sim with the new clothes. Hey sweet i want to try out this critic career! How cool. oh i like this feature where neighbors come over for a visit. Oh gosh a vampire just broke into my apartment!!! " because yes. it was the first time i'd actually seen that interaction and i was shocked.
    So... I spent November writing 50k words based on those few interactions with learning city living.
    Of course. I somehow didn't get to any of my gameplay until at least 20k words in... None of the characters in my story have sims characters. so i have no screenshots for the first 20k words. So if I want to share it as a sims lit... since it sort of technically is? I'm not exactly sure how... >.>

But I really liked where it was going because mixing fantasy and sci fi is something i love even though i am a failure at sci fi and the writing reflects that. At least my character is a country bumpkin who just got super advanced city technology thrown at her so I have an excuse. xD But darn that vampire that is trying to use the technology as well to get victims.

er so... summary: Do i learn how to stage actual scenes.... with mods that I don't know how to find exactly what i'm looking for. Or do i share it without screenshots. Which just seems strange to me for a sims lit?
  • Options
    Shadami wrote: »
    @simscognito told me to bounce the idea around in the bouncy castle and see what happens.

I got city living right around October last year. Roughly... ish. exact date i'm not sure of. But Nanowrimo was coming up and the novels I had been writing for that I wasn't ready to dive back into. So i took my city living playing around with it as my jump board for my november novel. All I really went off of was "Oh city living I want to check this out. Mess around with the help of my daughters to make a very pink sim with the new clothes. Hey sweet i want to try out this critic career! How cool. oh i like this feature where neighbors come over for a visit. Oh gosh a vampire just broke into my apartment!!! " because yes. it was the first time i'd actually seen that interaction and i was shocked.
    So... I spent November writing 50k words based on those few interactions with learning city living.
    Of course. I somehow didn't get to any of my gameplay until at least 20k words in... None of the characters in my story have sims characters. so i have no screenshots for the first 20k words. So if I want to share it as a sims lit... since it sort of technically is? I'm not exactly sure how... >.>

But I really liked where it was going because mixing fantasy and sci fi is something i love even though i am a failure at sci fi and the writing reflects that. At least my character is a country bumpkin who just got super advanced city technology thrown at her so I have an excuse. xD But darn that vampire that is trying to use the technology as well to get victims.

er so... summary: Do i learn how to stage actual scenes.... with mods that I don't know how to find exactly what i'm looking for. Or do i share it without screenshots. Which just seems strange to me for a sims lit?

@Shadami First of all, I think your concept sounds amazing. I always want to be ambitious for Nanowrimo and then I never get around to it. I'm always super swamped in November.

Second, Your story would count as SimLit, in my opinion and my experience in reading others' stories, since it has some basis of recognition or a nod to the game. Personally, I sometimes write pictureless chapters when I just can't capture something accurately in game, or I need to fill-in-the-blanks or I'm just to lazy to screenshot. If you want to take the time to screenshot, more power to ya! You could also consider taking a single picture for each chapter, a sort-of cover, or screenshot of the city to set the tone or the mood or something (sans the actual Sims characters) to make it easy on yourself. But if you don't screenshot, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've read some of @rednenemon's Racket Rotter Chronicles and it is entirely pictureless (thus far, I'm only in arc 3, I believe) but features recognizable Sims and Sim lore or content.

Third, I find it helps to read other SimLit or stories in the genres I attempt in my writing. I haven't read any of your stuff, so I don't know, but I'm sure you're not a failure. I know I can be my own worst critic and something of a perfectionist, but we don't learn until we try and we gotta start somewhere. I'd be interested in reading your story as a SimLit.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    So I've been thinking... I need a tagline for my upcoming reboot of The Krazy Crazy Life of Kassiopeia Fullbright, and I'm still probably a month or so out (maybe longer depending on my schedule), but even so... I have no clue what to post as a tagline. I'm lacking creativity in my brain space. *sigh* For anyone who's read the original, do you have any thoughts?

Also, I've been thinking it might be cool to have a banner for my signature. I have no idea where to start or how to do such a thing. I'd welcome feedback there also.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    So I've been thinking... I need a tagline for my upcoming reboot of The Krazy Crazy Life of Kassiopeia Fullbright, and I'm still probably a month or so out (maybe longer depending on my schedule), but even so... I have no clue what to post as a tagline. I'm lacking creativity in my brain space. *sigh* For anyone who's read the original, do you have any thoughts?

Also, I've been thinking it might be cool to have a banner for my signature. I have no idea where to start or how to do such a thing. I'd welcome feedback there also.

I have no idea about a tagline as I haven't read it. :) But as for banners, you could ask around to see if someone would make you one or even do it yourself if you have the time. :)
  • Options
    ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    Fewer screenshots seems like a good way to go about it than. Not many of my characters or places are actually named from the game. Perhaps I'll throw in something about the Feng's or Pizzazz so that it can be tied in. I suppose I could keep SanMyshuno as the city as well. I hadn't named the city yet.
  • Options
    madelynsims95madelynsims95 Posts: 285 Member

I made my banner using a free website called Canva. You are able to set the size you want in pixels, and then drag and drop photos, text, or anything else you want! It was easy enough that I was able to figure it out, so I'm sure you could too!
    Origin ID: madelynsims95
    Stories/Challenges:
    Mother May I? (100 Baby Challenge)
  • Options
    Thank you, @madelynsims95 and @Bugsie2016.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    So Does anyone know the steps or what getting custody of a kid entails?
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
  • Options
    LillyDoves wrote: »

I have an idea. :)

Who's wanting to get the custody of the kid? @LillyDoves It can depend on whether it's one parent who's trying for custody or another person.
  • Options
    LillyDoves wrote: »

I have an idea. :)

Who's wanting to get the custody of the kid? @LillyDoves It can depend on whether it's one parent who's trying for custody or another person.

The male parent, he’s going to try to get custody of his daughter after five years of being in prison.
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic