Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Poll of Play Styles

JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
Thought this might be fun to see which play style people vote for!

*Disclaimer: This is not a thread to see which one "wins" or is "better". I am looking to acknowledge all kinds of play styles. That's the beauty of this game! There is no limit to how someone can play!

Thanks! Excited to see the results!

Poll of Play Styles 194 votes

Generational/Legacy style - start with the single sim and watch the family tree grow!
47%
Frn0731GoldmoldaricmnfrshIcewolfjeepjeepcatIceyJaprilrosejujee55Celticgamer0AlexaiHowGreatThouArtMLadyAzzerasimlish1Writin_RegEniracYMeteoraStormCaitxcatcandy8Dida_Quickswitchsimgirl1010 92 votes
Supernatural - explore all other forms of sim life beyond the natural sim
5%
AnmirlaDryodaZeldaboy180adele_katAshtontoAshton22LivinityShadowmarkedAirakaleShaeTS1299HavenDaze 11 votes
Challenges - find challenges from other simmers or invent your own to attempt!
8%
Moon_WillowmarbergJennyggSimplyJenChelleJodopaminedroidZenAlchemistSummerStreakKarababy52tmcox1242EnkiSchmidtRebeccaLynnKarliapoltergeistkirumagumikamakimonShadowSim3600 17 votes
Story teller - create machinimas or videos creating stories with sims
8%
Saunta2InfraGreenTrashmagicannaliese39sof2106MasonGamerTheSimerSiMsStoriesdreamprisonerLilMsMystic160MrAethertonSimTrippyBbearBusufuHuiiie_07WolfiumKelayah 17 votes
Other - tell us your way!
29%
auroraael14GRIMMYGalacticGalSamadamsPlayeralan650111SikoahGraceColorist40Rukola_SchaafTheSpotted_Ckeekee53KlthfBagoas77SeraphicPinkKeoriNinoosimldmarkoLizzychicagoladybreidAmaraStormelelunicy 57 votes

Comments

• Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    I don't so much play as build.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited January 2018
    My Sims have their own stories but I don't create videos or machinimas.

I guess I should be clear, I am a rotational player. All of them have a story and are connected to the worlds.
    Post edited by keekee53 on
  • Options
    LiaRose1435LiaRose1435 Posts: 720 Member
    edited January 2018
    Generational/Legacy style - start with the single sim and watch the family tree grow!
    I'm not sure if I picked the right one. I usually start with a married couple and they will work on skills for a little while before they have children. I never age my sims though, except I'll age babies and sometimes toddlers. I like to play large families with lots of toddlers and children.
    Am I too lost to be saved?
    Am I too lost?
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Always been a generational player. Never been into challenges, but I do like Supernaturals. I typically make generational play out of them as well, though.
    And I enjoy screenshots and videos, but I don't go all out on editing them and I don't take them to really share my stories with others; just for my own use.
  • Options
    KarliaKarlia Posts: 310 Member
    Challenges - find challenges from other simmers or invent your own to attempt!
    I mostly do challenges, most of them are generational though which is why I wasn't sure which option to pick. I like to have a predefined ruleset to play with and document my sims' lives rather than tell stories.
  • Options
    caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    edited January 2018
    I play with a lot of households in the same save. In fact, that's my only save since the launch of the game in 2014.... i don't know... i love seeing my sims around the neighborhood even if i'm not playing with them and i looove update the lots with content from the new packs. <3<3
    he/him
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I do generational, but I also allow Supernaturals into my families.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    Saunta2Saunta2 Posts: 870 Member
    Used to be generational but now I'm a storyteller. I never realised how much fun I was missing out on before. I don't do videos though, I write my stories on WordPress, currently have two going.
  • Options
    KlthfKlthf Posts: 230 Member
    I think you forgot rotational play. I have about twenty families that I play in turns. It is actually a bit of generational style combined with rotational.

All of my Sims have ages and I defined an age range for every life stage. I count 140 simdays (20 simweeks) as one year and my Sims' ages are recorded on a 140-day calendar, so all of my Sims have a birthday. Keeping track of how many days/weeks I have played is very important. When a Sim has their birthday on day 55, I just wait until that day passes and when their age enters a new age range belonging to the next life stage, I age them up. When my Sims grow old I just throw a digital dice to determine how old they will get and on which day they will die. When that day comes I will just cheat them to death.
    Playing like this, also means that certain events happen more slowly. My Sims won't marry three days after meeting, but instead will slowly attempt to date, have some romantic nights together and after a while they might move in together. They will only marry after about one or two years, and getting children will follow about one year after that. This way I can take some time to get to know my Sims and play out their lives. For the record, I haven't finished one of their lives yet. They are all still young adults, some having families already.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I am a family player but not a generation/legacy kind of player. I play mostly rotational, alternating between small and big households. I also build a lot.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    crazycat_135crazycat_135 Posts: 1,349 Member
    I play all play styles, because it's boring to just stick to one. :)
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    Klthf wrote: »
    I think you forgot rotational play. I have about twenty families that I play in turns. It is actually a bit of generational style combined with rotational.

All of my Sims have ages and I defined an age range for every life stage. I count 140 simdays (20 simweeks) as one year and my Sims' ages are recorded on a 140-day calendar, so all of my Sims have a birthday. Keeping track of how many days/weeks I have played is very important. When a Sim has their birthday on day 55, I just wait until that day passes and when their age enters a new age range belonging to the next life stage, I age them up. When my Sims grow old I just throw a digital dice to determine how old they will get and on which day they will die. When that day comes I will just cheat them to death.
    Playing like this, also means that certain events happen more slowly. My Sims won't marry three days after meeting, but instead will slowly attempt to date, have some romantic nights together and after a while they might move in together. They will only marry after about one or two years, and getting children will follow about one year after that. This way I can take some time to get to know my Sims and play out their lives. For the record, I haven't finished one of their lives yet. They are all still young adults, some having families already.

You're right, I did. I apologize for that.

Thank you for sharing your input everyone! So interesting to read about how different players use the tools of this game.
  • Options
    vanee4vanee4 Posts: 119 Member
    I voted other because I can't fit rotational play style in the options available, which is my main play style.
    But I have to agree with @crazycat_135, I like differing playstyles from time to time.
  • Options
    SamadamsPlayerSamadamsPlayer Posts: 583 Member
    Other , I start with 2 sims or multiple sims have there fun till half way through there young adult stage , then find a job partner Marrage babies , so family / generational player
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    ROTATIONAL

i mainly play rotational

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    I like to take my characters beyond where my book(s) have taken them.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I have family play game files and challenge files.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I play Legacy style for all my Sims but I also play all aspects of (the Good type) Supernaturals. So my vote is actually both 1 and 2 - but I voted one as all sims are played Legacy style except for EA/Maxis Sims - I play them as they are just for a bit of reality and to strengthen their skills and family relations.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    I dont have a play style...yet. Im working on being a generational player.

I WANT to be generational.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2018
    I'm a combination of playstyles and two of my playstyles aren't in the options, so I picked other. I'm a rotational generation family player and I play with supernaturals and really like hybrids with the families. I am also a deviant Simmer, a bit of a pyro when it comes to Sims and I don't play with perfect families. I am also a builder and prefer making builds that don't look perfect. So it is a little bit of everything all mixed together. I guess it reflects my own personality since I'm not selfish, no perfect, and I'm creative. I love math too, so it is fun to problem solve with my games which is probably why challenges don't fit me. I like things not go as planned and figure it out along the way.

Sims 2 was the ideal game to fit my playstyles since I like neighborhood editing, but not world building, I don't like story progression, but having control over how the neighborhood plays out, and I love writing the backstories for individual Sims too. I don't make my own videos and just started sharing pictures with others since joining forums. I prefer watching machinimas over Let's Plays because they tends to be more drama and variation of emotions with them. There are a few streamers I do follow and watch more due to their more deviant playstyles, family play, and building I admit.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    ZilogManZilogMan Posts: 57 Member
    Mostly Generational - but a lot of the time I just create spouses for my Sims so as to skip the slightly sordid business of chasing down townies who are too old/young because you've reached the point it's them or die alone. Also your kids get to look the way you want 'em, which is a biggie.

Apart from this, my focus in game is levelling stuff up - school grades, careers, skills, upgrading appliances. The house gets chopped around a lot but I never move lots, and it tends to look rather rough but be ergonomically effective.

I'm not one for making family dramas. I never divorce my Sims, have never had them cheat on or be mean to each other, and try to keep them alive as long as possible. I try to keep the all the needs as close to full as i can, and work on fixing uncomfortable moodlets ASAP.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I mostly build but when I actually play the game for content, I play generational/legacy or some variation of a legacy.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    edited January 2018
    Saunta2 wrote: »
    ... I'm a storyteller. I never realised how much fun I was missing out on before. I don't do videos though, I write my stories on WordPress...

Yepp, same here!

Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Other. I mostly 'play' Sims games through building homes and community lots. The majority of my play time in live mode consists of either testing out those lots, or doing random things in game with a Sim, like completing aspirations, testing out certain systems like retail, or making silly goals like 'seducing every female NPC my Sim ever meets, regardless of relationship status, age YA or older, job, etc'. :D

I don't really do legacies or challenges, and I honestly have no interest whatsoever in supernaturals (and do my best to avoid them). I only did one 'story' type playthrough at the insistance of a friend but I had more fun coming up with the story in my head based on screenshots than trying to play it out in game, lol.

Live mode is secondary for me. I'm a builder first. That's where I find my joy.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    FlpAmaral wrote: »
    I play with a lot of households in the same save. In fact, that's my only save since the launch of the game in 2014.... i don't know... i love seeing my sims around the neighborhood even if i'm not playing with them and i looove update the lots with content from the new packs. <3<3

This is me exactly!!