Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    Karilan wrote: »
    @Bugsie2016 did you change your av again? Since like, yesterday?

Also @chalicen I just noticed your new sig! Love your art so much :love:
    I changed it earlier and I changed my siggy!! :)

Oh wow @Bugsie2016 ! That new siggy looks great. Very dazzling! :smiley:
  • Options

>:) you know why.

Oh yes, didn't you ban @Bugsie2016 from changing her avi till some time next week?
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

Oh yes, didn't you ban @Bugsie2016 from changing her avi till some time next week?

yes.
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member

yes.

Poopy days call for me being a rebel!!
  • Options

yes.

And you nominated me as torturer, was that right?
  • Options

yes.

bites bugsie. since shes pretending to be a dog.
  • Options

yes.

Ahh I new she had insider knowledge of how to be a Corleonisi. ;) (Bugsie knows what I'm referring to). :D
  • Options

yes.

Ahh I new she had insider knowledge of how to be a Corleonisi. ;) (Bugsie knows what I'm referring to). :D

what only sis can confuse me you know that :)
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member

yes.

I do write Max... :lol:
  • Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member

when did you change it to my fiancee causes chaos? it used to say my fiancee makes all the descions on how to live with grace.

When I changed the image to include Glassbolt again it said I had too many characters. It made no sense because I didn't change anything but the image! I ended up having to rework all the little story blurbs to be shorter to make it fit. :(
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    Shadami wrote: »
    Trying to figure out sims ages is frustrating. Does anyone have a story way they work it out?

Sorry I'm a little late answering this!

Personally, I like to set a bracket of ages I think would work for each life stage and then pick from those. Say, child runs from age six to age twelve, and teen runs from thirteen to nineteen. Then when your kid aged up you'd know they're thirteen, and by the time it was almost their birthday you'd know they were about nineteen (My current story's a bit different, however, as I'm playing without aging on and plan to manually age up my sims when I want to have a time-skip happen. Also, almost everyone over twenty is a young adult forever, because vampires.)
    I don't think I explained that great, but I think you could maybe combine it with the way @simscognito has birthdays for his sims. (That's what I tend to do when I'm writing non-sims stories- I give everyone a birthday and also set a date/dates for each chapter.)

you explained it fine. And that makes sense. So it's really kind of a guess and make the best. xD It's somewhere in there so yeah sure that's about right kind of thing. I can work with this. I'm enjoying the bits and pieces I've been learning this week. Thanks for answering ^^ @IchigoUsagi
  • Options

when did you change it to my fiancee causes chaos? it used to say my fiancee makes all the descions on how to live with grace.

When I changed the image to include Glassbolt again it said I had too many characters. It made no sense because I didn't change anything but the image! I ended up having to rework all the little story blurbs to be shorter to make it fit. :(

yeah that means i was right and not confused.
  • Options

Oooh yes I like your new sig. Teen Rye <3 I really must catch up, but I peeked the other day and I'm not too far behind actually.

I just got through writing tomorrow's chapter for Grace and I'm so emotionally spent this week. Yesterday and tomorrow's chapters have been pretty big events, but necessary to move the story forward! I'm looking forward to the last few chapters in this gen because they'll be focused almost entirely on the kids, so they're likely to be silly and light hearted. I also can't wait for the heir vote! This will be the first one with 4 options!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    I'm back, I was finishing off @Jes2G 's birthday presents. (I give my tumblr buddies b day presents. Sorry everyone else but I don't think I could manage that many! :sweat_smile: ) She already knows what they are as I give them early in case people are busy. :smiley:

your not supposed to tell her were getting her friday . i meant were celbrating friday. puts tape on bugsie mouth.

its the internet it won;t hurt her and she can breathe through her nose.

Leave Bugsie alone lol. You guys are too much.
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • Options
    Jes2G wrote: »
    I'm back, I was finishing off @Jes2G 's birthday presents. (I give my tumblr buddies b day presents. Sorry everyone else but I don't think I could manage that many! :sweat_smile: ) She already knows what they are as I give them early in case people are busy. :smiley:

your not supposed to tell her were getting her friday . i meant were celbrating friday. puts tape on bugsie mouth.

its the internet it won;t hurt her and she can breathe through her nose.

Leave Bugsie alone lol. You guys are too much.

i will not bugsie is bugging me.lol.
  • Options
    ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    Random questions. Who makes family trees for their stories. And how to get more than one family on the same tree on some website? I mean its kind of to late for me now cause i spent all day doing it out by hand in clip studio paint. xD but i'm curious if anyone knows. I tried to use the awesome family tree website for sims. But i couldn't figure out how to get two branches.
  • Options
    Random questions. Who makes family trees for their stories. And how to get more than one family on the same tree on some website? I mean its kind of to late for me now cause i spent all day doing it out by hand in clip studio paint. xD but i'm curious if anyone knows. I tried to use the awesome family tree website for sims. But i couldn't figure out how to get two branches.

yeah we didn't scare you away. when i invited you i forgot to mention we tease a lot.

i don't do family trees but others do.
  • Options

@Shadami I actually never figured that out either. I did more than one family tree. However, for my Sweglord family tree I made a ghost founder, so that I could include the two Healy siblings and their families on the same tree.
  • Options

yeah we didn't scare you away. when i invited you i forgot to mention we tease a lot.

Nah @friendsfan367 's just mean to all of us. :D Okay, I'll be good. o:)
  • Options

Nah @friendsfan367 's just mean to all of us. :D Okay, I'll be good. o:)

hey i met her a full night before you she already knows i'm nice.
  • Options

I've heard of a lot of people using Plumbtree, I believe it's called? I haven't found the time to try it out for myself yet!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options

yes.

And you nominated me as torturer, was that right?

nominated drafted same thing.
  • Options
    LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,261 Member

Like me!

Family_Tree_v2.png
  • Options
    SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Hi all! A new chapter in the Wolf Pack Challenge - Meet the Pack! Enjoy!

https://soulgal7.wordpress.com/2018/01/25/the-wolf-pack-challenge-ch-1-day-1-arrival-meet-the-wolf-pack

coming_down_the_path_was_Maxie.png
  • Options
    superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @superkyle221 you would love my Swanson Legacy then since @simscognito says its has a very Grimm-like fairytale setting. I'm planning at some point in the future making a sim legacy which centres around fairytales but its because of a curse.
    Yeah Rose does all the cooking, cleaning, and most of the gardening (Kingston helps her out on that front, though). Maybe a combination of Cinderella and her evil stepsisters?

Maybe we could consider her Anastasia-like character (I'm referring to the Disney movie?) since in Cinderella story (Perrault's of course) a th younger step-sister sometimes help out Cinderella. Actually it's the younger step-sister who calls Cinderellla Cinderella, everyone else called her CinderWrench

I'd be down with that - though I think things might change in some of the future chapters that may make her look a little bit more wicked, a little bit less innocent. I have to admit that while I've read many different versions of Cinderella, I don't know that I've read Perrault's - or at least I don't remember it. I know the one by the Grimm Brothers, where the step sisters have their eyes pecked out and parts of their feet removed, but I can say that won't happen to Rose... although maybe cataracts in her old age? I think I have some ideas for what to do when she's older.

And I'll have to check yours out. I do like Grimm-inspired tales.
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Hey, here's a kind of weird question; Which fairytale/folktale/myth/play/etc. do you think your SimLit bears the greatest resemblance to? Which of your characters do you think mirror ones in the fairytale/folktale/myth/play?

I actually tend to base a lot of my writing on Little Red Riding Hood, so it's a miracle that it hasn't shown up yet in any of my stories (though I suppose you could make a case for Nancy being the wolf in We Belong to the Song). But generation 3 of my legacy (which is partly written) will incorporate a lot from Cabaret, whereas I've got plans for a future generation that will be based partly on Matilda.

And I did have an early chapter of my legacy based on an original "fairy tale" - though that pretty much leaned heavily into fairytale tropes.

Rose occasionally reminds me of the evil step sisters from Cinderella...
    Unlike the usual fairy tale damsels in distress, most of your characters tend to save themselves though!

@Karilan Techinally because Rose does most of the work-she makes me think of Cinderella herself. I think it was implied she made the cakes,etc?

I suppose in a way she is both Cinderella and the evil step sisters. Her jealousy is an angry, bitter, and ugly side of her. In a sense, when she takes on the mask of an ugly step sister it is most often directed at or caused by Lily. Lily reminds me of most Disney Princesses because she emerged from an oppressive household into happiness, which in a sense you could view as all the gals who went from peasant to princess.
    Hey, here's a kind of weird question; Which fairytale/folktale/myth/play/etc. do you think your SimLit bears the greatest resemblance to? Which of your characters do you think mirror ones in the fairytale/folktale/myth/play?

Sorry this was kind of out of the blue, I was just thinking about what similarities my characters have to ones in fairytales and such, and thought it would be interesting to hear if anyone saw similarities to their characters in other sources. In the end I couldn't think of much that my story parallels- Alice in Wonderland is the closest I could get, and even then that isn't very similar at all! Aside from a couple character similarities (Acacia being somewhat similar to the Queen of Hearts, I guess, and Vincent playing a role similar to Alice. Again, they don't fit very well) there's not much alike about it. Oh well, I tried. :sweat_smile:

Oooh that is so interesting! I don't know if any of my characters are similar enough to any fairytale characters but I'll have to think on it...

@superkyle221 Curious to hear your answer if you want to weigh in on this? Your Keen Legacy gives me a delightfully twisted fairy tale feeling.

@Karilan Hahaha, I answered before I saw your post!

Yeah, I read a lot of fairy tales and a lot of deconstructions of fairy tales (Witches Abroad, The Robber Bride, Politically Correct Fairy Tales, Into the Woods, Freeway, etc.) - part of this has to do with me having been an English major in college, but part of it is how these stories came to be (Little Red Riding Hood, which is my favorite fairy tale, is a warning to young girls about not talking to strangers - in the original it wasn't even a wolf who tried to attack her, it was a werewolf, which is a subtle but important difference - I don't want to go too far into the history of werewolves in medieval Europe, but needless to say, a werewolf can often look human).

I guess part of the twisted fairytale vibe is down to Vivian (the one chapter we got from her perspective was her own version of a twisted fairy tale) and she is similar to Rapunzel's mother... and in a future chapter we'll see the lessons she tries to teach while reading The Pied Piper of Hamlin... though I'm not sure I wrote this with fairy tale parallels in mind, a lot of my previous writing has been based on fairy tales (the first time I did nanowrimo I wrote a modern day interpretation of Little Red Ridinghood, and (many) years later I wrote a mystery that was set in modern times, but had fairy tale elements - the big bad wolf, the evil witch who isn't evil...

I think the nice thing about fairy tales, specifically European fairy tales (as those are the ones I'm most familiar with), is that people know how they end - at this point it's basically impossible for a servant girl not to marry a prince, or the King's third son to succeed where his older brothers have failed. And what makes that more fun is that when things get twisted - things don't work out the way we expect - this can be jarring and make things seem a lot darker than they need be.

That was a super long, drawn out answer... I probably veered wildly off topic. Oops!

Haha not off topic! Evolving conversations is kind of the point of the lounge, no?

I really loved Into The Woods, I'll have to check out some of the others you mentioned here. I've read a lot about werewolf lore and I agree, it's much less a fairy tale and more of a dark warning about safety. To me, the danger of werewolves definitely refers to unkind people.

Which version of Into the Woods have you seen? The one with Meryl Streep or the one with Bernadette Peters? (The second one is better). And definitely check out Freeway - it stars Reese Witherspoon as a juvenile delinquent who meets a serial killer as she hitchhikes to her grandma's house.

They made a movie of The Robber Bride, but I haven't actually seen it - but I think that's closer to my writing style and the way I incorporate fairy tales into my story. Totally not about fairy tales at all, but about a liar and the women whose lives she's affected. While it's somewhat of a modern retelling of a fairy tale (The Robber Bridegroom), a lot of the characters have subtle characteristics related to fairy tale characters - Cinderella, Rapunzel, Sleeping Beauty, Gretel, etc. I think you can find some of the Politically Correct stories online.

Yeah, the idea of the werewolf, especially in literature, is the unseen menace, the person who you never know is really beast-like (of course, more recent readings are about how the werewolf has to conceal a part of themselves from everybody, which leads to an entirely different set of readings...)
    I don't remember how to change my signature.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top