Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the deal with the "stop stealing" on the gallery?

Comments

• Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    The way I see a way forward here would be :

1. For us to kindly stop using the #stop stealing# as this seems to generally categorize everyone as thieves which is seen as slanderous and may be hurtful to our feelings

2. For us to respect those creators who do not want their works to simply be 're-uploaded (with or without modifications) or unduly 're-uploaded(without modifications) whether our reasons are for backing up our favs creations or not. If these creators don't want their work 're-uploaded..we should simply respect them plus we have a choice to not download

3. For those creators that wouldn't mind their works duly 're-uploaded whether by stating it or not..it is only appropriate and shouldn't be too much for us to give credits to them when 're-uploading regardless of whether EA already has a credit note so other simmers would be aware and choose the option to go for the original creation or maybe even stick to your modified creation but at least it'll be their choice

4. For those of us (including me) that use the Gallery as back up for our fav saves again we should try to not 're-upload creations from creators who do not want their works to be 're-uploaded (again we have a choice to simply not downlaod in the first place) and for our own original works..I don't see reasons why we shouldn't go ahead to save them on the Gallery even as back up...since its original,..we call it back up..the Gallery calls it sharing and other players may see it, and want to download it in fact..so anyhow it works the whole objective of the Gallery is still being met and not jeopardized

5. The Gallery is a wonderful place for creation sharing..it is not a competition ground but if we want to challenge ourselves lets keep it healthy

Hashtag #stop the stop stealing#; please
    Hashtag # stop the stealing#; please
    Hashtag # One love#

Your solutions seem easy enough. But unless these become official rules i dont see everyone participating. I will not be reuploading to the gallery anything i am asked not to politely i will be going to MTS OR TSR for stuff i need and if i need it winthin game i will go to the gallery for other sims that do not have this tag. They are all beginning to look alike anyway. So seems until we get a new pack its basically same old same old in my opinion.
  • Options
    Kuroi wrote: »
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    I do understand the creators issues really i do.
    I find the offense in being accused of something i have not done before i have done anything.
    I find the stop stealing hashtag offensive.
    All the dont save it there all the give credit does not solve my problem. I give the creator credit. They want that respect. I want the respect to stop being called a thief before i have done anything.
    As you say they want credit. They get credit they want respect give me respect and remove the accusation that i am stealing. Its really that simple to me.
    I find the hashtag offensive. Respect for fellow simmers who do whats right means it should be removed. Respect goes both ways.
    And the hashtag is stop stealing. It would be a better statement and not so offensive to me if they were asking me dont steal. Understand what i mean? Its how its said.
    Maybe that seems trivial to some but to me it means respect. You get what you give.
    Yes, I understand you. And I can only give you one advice about this: Don't take this stupid hashtag personally. You do nothing wrong and you know that. I know, you don't want to hear "Get over it" but in this case that's the healthiest way to deal with it. Like I said before, I don't see any sense in that "don't steal" thing either, because it is provocative and doesn't make any difference for those who intend to steal. It's easier to remove than the original creator's name and doesn't prove anything, in the worst case it looks like a generalized accusation or sheer arrogance. But these users don't mean you, they mean the "thieves" and probably never thought about how someone like you (who just wants a backup) would feel about it. I agree with you when you find that insensitive but it's not worth all the anger. (I wouldn't go so far to say it's respectless as I don't see any intention to hurt someone.) Nevertheless, it's good to discuss your point of view publicly, so that people get aware of it and maybe even start to consider it.
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Actually it does. You tell that to your Creative Arts Professor seeing one third of your credit is based on the time spent and the difficulty of your project and challenge at hand.
    I don't mean being offensive but I don't care what any Arts Professor would or would not say in this case. I mean, we could go on in this direction like: discuss what "art" really is (which is why I put it in quotation marks), what your professor would say about "art forgery" and when "plagiarism" begins etc. - but that just doesn't make much sense as it would be off-topic. (Maybe we're misunderstanding each other, I don't know.)
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Anyone can draw a stick figure.
    But this doesn't give you the right to put your name on someone else's stick figure. (I don't mean you personally.)

You quoted the gallery's terms of use saying it's about "sharing" - which is completely okay for me. But sharing doesn't mean claiming someone else's work my own. For me it means: to use the shared contenct according to its purpose - which mainly is play with it in my game. The gallery tags content with the original creator's name for a reason: So that they get credit even when their stuff is re-uploaded. And if someone removes that name tag because they want to appear as the original creator they are "stealing" someone else's work.

And that's the only case I'm talking about: removing(!) that name tag with the intention(!) to be credited for someone else's work. Nothing else.

And to be honest, even if a SimGuru would comment on this thread and say: "Yeah, remove that name tag and re-upload that stuff! You've got our full permission to do whatever you like and we'll be applauding!" I'd still find it respectless and call it "theft" because of what I wrote in my first post: there are social rules we shouldn't need any laws (or terms of uses) for.
    Please do not just dismiss my feelings with a just ignore and go on. I feel what i feel. Now my opinion is waivering on the reuploading. I will respect that. However if the hashtag stop stealing is with it i will pass it by. If we all stopped giving credit for the creators who use this hashtag it would go away but that is not possible. So i will not be loading anything from them they can keep it amoung them and their friends.
  • Options
    We cant stop people from re-uploading stuff as much as we would like to, so I guess the option is to see it as a chance you take or don't upload. Which I think not uploading would serve to respect your own work, because no one can take anything from you then.

Also the EA argument is silly. Whoever works for ea that built some of the houses that come with willow creek CANT build a nice home. Lol. Some look a country Podunk mess.

I just downloaded and put in my game a house nicely done outside inside has nice looking rooms but the sims cannot go upstairs as there is something wrong with the stairs. If i was to comment that on the piece i would be brow beaten by others who would be saying it was just my imagination or get over it. Well to me the house should have been pkay tested. So take responsibility the creations put on the gallery as if not then they are Podunk also.
  • Options
    ElokaEloka Posts: 184 Member
    Entitlement is them requiring any recognition. When I use a creation from the galllery, I do so as a starting base for myself, I will purposely not credit the original creator. I may only do very minor changes, but if it is changed in any way, it becomes my own. It is no longer their creation. I also understand saving to the gallery to not lose favorite builds/sims. I still do not credit the original creator, but I do say in the description that it is a favorite build I am saving.

"Entitlement is them requiring any recognition." Making a clearly defined and modest request to respect the time they spent - by linking or crediting the original creator; is not entitlement. Ignoring the request and claiming their work is.

• Options
    HeyitsmesierraHeyitsmesierra Posts: 70 Member
    @NorthDakotaGamer
    Is it okay if they give credit to the original creator?
  • Options
    HeyitsmesierraHeyitsmesierra Posts: 70 Member
    err sorry @Eloka
  • Options
    err sorry @Eloka

Yeah, that's all most creators want, is just for people to give them credit for their work. That's it.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Marjia wrote: »
    I don't use the stop stealing hashtag. I also find it annoying. I would still prefer if you don't re-upload my designs to the gallery. Thanks. I do download sims to play test my lot creations, and I really enjoy some of the Sims, especially the more creative sims. I see the top favorite sims all look alike though. Are they just re-uploading the same face with different hair and poses? Another thing that annoys me is hashtag abuse. I sometimes need a family, so i search #family and all the top single sims show up, that is another way of cheating the system which is legal I suppose, no rules about hashtags, but I will never download from anyone who practices this. I am careful to only download sims that are Original too. I love your sims, thanks for sharing. It's fun and saves time. Have a great day!

I noticed that a lot of the top sims look a like two. My popular uploads of sims get 200 or more downloads . I'm starting to wonder if I should stop uploading mine since someone out there is probably just reuploading them with different clothes/hair.

Most of the popular uploads are the same. But then again we are limited by what the game gives us if we want to use our creativity. Again re-uploading and changing to get credit is never good. If you see your sims face and stuff uploaded I would make a comment in the comment section to the same. I know it does not give you credit but it does give you the satisfaction of at least letting us know that this is not their creation.
    Also I think that is EA's fault they are putting this top download as a competition if we are sharing there should not be competition.
    Do you use the hashtag #stopstealing" if not I will go in and favorite all your creations.

I wish they would give us some close up pictures instead of these too far away pictures with silly expressions. It's hard to see what they actually look like.
  • Options
    Normally what I do is find a house I like but I normally just use the outside and redesigned the inside to what I really want. Everytime I try to build a house from the outside it is lopsided p.

That's what I do. I like a lot of color and making things pop.
  • Options
    bamani71 wrote: »
    After my computer crashed I started uploading everything I spent an excess of time on, whether it was my own build or an edit of someone else's creation. It's mainly so I can find them again since there isn't a list of favorited lots/Sims when you go to your own account. There are also times when I was sure I saved something to my library only to find it missing. It's hard going through the gallery looking for a vaguely familiar lot because you can't remember the name or who created it.

When I put something in my library, I put the name of the sim who lives there, like Blair's House. Then I know just what it is.
  • Options
    Eloka wrote: »
    @Eloka

I personally see it an entitlement issues problem on the part of the creators who use the hashtag. Nothing said here has or will ever change my mind on that. It appears their need for recognition is to feed their own ego. That just gives me more reason to not support them and that hashtag is a one way ticket for me in ignoring their building/SIM making skills.

How is it "entitlement" if they are the ones creating the works? Entitlement would be the people taking other peoples creations and passing them off as their own, then whining when they are called out on it.

Creators make a simple request; "don't claim as your own" and even that is too hard for some people.

It don't make sense to me. How do they claim it as their own when right there it says, Original by ****? How are they not getting credit?
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    catitude5 wrote: »
    @Eloka

I personally see it an entitlement issues problem on the part of the creators who use the hashtag. Nothing said here has or will ever change my mind on that. It appears their need for recognition is to feed their own ego. That just gives me more reason to not support them and that hashtag is a one way ticket for me in ignoring their building/SIM making skills.

How is it "entitlement" if they are the ones creating the works? Entitlement would be the people taking other peoples creations and passing them off as their own, then whining when they are called out on it.

Creators make a simple request; "don't claim as your own" and even that is too hard for some people.

It don't make sense to me. How do they claim it as their own when right there it says, Original by ****? How are they not getting credit?

I am specifically talking about the people who use a mod to get rid of the original creators names, purposely to take credit, or the ones who take advantage of a flaw in the system, that removes the original creator every now and then.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited January 2018
    I don't understand people sometimes. Say you make a song, a movie, a painting. Anything really that you've put hours and hours of your time and energy into. Then when you publish it, it becomes everyone else's too? Really? Sure, maybe some other people will use it to push their own creativity but if someone ends up using the exact same storyline, beat, melody or image as you did, without ever crediting your work, you'd probably be rather annoyed about it. How is this different for your builds? I especially don't get how so many can hide behind the "it's EA's property" excuse. Even EA gives out maxis faves and mentions creators when using their builds or screenshots anywhere (including blog posts) instead of simply re-uploading your stuff or putting it into a pack or pretending they made it ^^ if even the real owner of your creations can respect your work, why can't other simmers do the same? Sure it's not always malicious or on purpose. Sometimes people changed a lot about your builds and want to share these changes with other simmers. But, a simple mention doesn't kill anyone, and it's simply a sign of giving a crap about other people's time and, yes, pride in their work.
  • Options
    Entitlement is them requiring any recognition. When I use a creation from the galllery, I do so as a starting base for myself, I will purposely not credit the original creator. I may only do very minor changes, but if it is changed in any way, it becomes my own. It is no longer their creation. I also understand saving to the gallery to not lose favorite builds/sims. I still do not credit the original creator, but I do say in the description that it is a favorite build I am saving.

"Entitlement is them requiring any recognition." Making a clearly defined and modest request to respect the time they spent - by linking or crediting the original creator; is not entitlement. Ignoring the request and claiming their work is.

Entitlement is not my argument my argument is all the "stop stealing" hashtags and the general cluttering of posts with the hashtag.
  • Options
    @NorthDakotaGamer
    Is it okay if they give credit to the original creator?

I believe the consensus is that you can redownload some content to the gallery to keep it if you credit the creator. it is also some creators do not want you to ever reupload and others want to call you a thief. So I really dont know how to answer your post.
  • Options
    err sorry @Eloka

Yeah, that's all most creators want, is just for people to give them credit for their work. That's it.

Have you read this? That is not all they want. Some want credit (they should have it) Some want you not to reupload to the gallery for any reason. Some want you to credit and favorite(which you should) Some want you to Not twin(whatever that means) some want you to not change in any way. So we have different creators wanting different things so to make that general statement is misleading.
  • Options
    bamani71 wrote: »
    After my computer crashed I started uploading everything I spent an excess of time on, whether it was my own build or an edit of someone else's creation. It's mainly so I can find them again since there isn't a list of favorited lots/Sims when you go to your own account. There are also times when I was sure I saved something to my library only to find it missing. It's hard going through the gallery looking for a vaguely familiar lot because you can't remember the name or who created it.

When I put something in my library, I put the name of the sim who lives there, like Blair's House. Then I know just what it is.

I do this also.
  • Options
    @Eloka

I am specifically talking about the people who use a mod to get rid of the original creators names, purposely to take credit, or the ones who take advantage of a flaw in the system, that removes the original creator every now and then.

Thats what I keep hearing that the whatever is for certain people well when you lump everyone into the same category it is not just for some people. Some people can overlook things and others can't so if the hashtag does not refer to everyone then why have it there. I understand about the"please dont reupload my stuff" I get that and I will respect that. However the #stop stealing is offensive to me and since it does not pertain to me why offend me.

If you want your art appreciated appreciate the people who like your art and give you credit for it not call you a thief.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    I don't understand people sometimes. Say you make a song, a movie, a painting. Anything really that you've put hours and hours of your time and energy into. Then when you publish it, it becomes everyone else's too? Really? Sure, maybe some other people will use it to push their own creativity but if someone ends up using the exact same storyline, beat, melody or image as you did, without ever crediting your work, you'd probably be rather annoyed about it. How is this different for your builds? I especially don't get how so many can hide behind the "it's EA's property" excuse. Even EA gives out maxis faves and mentions creators when using their builds or screenshots anywhere (including blog posts) instead of simply re-uploading your stuff or putting it into a pack or pretending they made it ^^ if even the real owner of your creations can respect your work, why can't other simmers do the same? Sure it's not always malicious or on purpose. Sometimes people changed a lot about your builds and want to share these changes with other simmers. But, a simple mention doesn't kill anyone, and it's simply a sign of giving a plum about other people's time and, yes, pride in their work.

Apparently you have not read all my posts I have stated several times that reuploading anothers work as your own is unacceptable. and i do not condone it. But at the same token is it not respect that you do not use an offensive hashtag to stop a few from doing it? It may be my age (70) but I do take offense that someone right off the bat is calling me a thief. That is the problem here not who uploaded what of whose and how the creators should get credit. And please do not tell me that it does not mean me and that I should get over it, as that could go both ways. so those hiding behind (as you said) are also hiding behind its not for you it means this.....Isn't that doing the same. I am offended by the hashtag "stopstealing" and I feel it should be removed.
    Maybe I am just a majority of one like Ghandi says and one favorite is not going to make much difference, but to me it would mean being appreciated for being a person.
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited January 2018

Wow. Arent you special? Lol . Sure the talented builders on the gallery shouldn't get any recognition for creating the stuff that others use and didn't have to do anything for. How does a personality like that work out in real life?

I'm not sure that bully behavior is a sure sign of high self esteem either.

• Options

Wow. Arent you special? Lol . Sure the talented builders on the gallery shouldn't get any recognition for creating the stuff that others use and didn't have to do anything for. How does a personality like that work out in real life?

Please try to remain civil to each other.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    @kaywilliams

The original by tag is the only thing they get. I found that if I change a build and save it to my library first (there many times is no longer is an "orginal by" tag. I always save everything to my library first out of habit.
  • Options

Again please try to be civil to each other.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    The way I see a way forward here would be :

1. For us to kindly stop using the #stop stealing# as this seems to generally categorize everyone as thieves which is seen as slanderous and may be hurtful to our feelings

2. For us to respect those creators who do not want their works to simply be 're-uploaded (with or without modifications) or unduly 're-uploaded(without modifications) whether our reasons are for backing up our favs creations or not. If these creators don't want their work 're-uploaded..we should simply respect them plus we have a choice to not download

3. For those creators that wouldn't mind their works duly 're-uploaded whether by stating it or not..it is only appropriate and shouldn't be too much for us to give credits to them when 're-uploading regardless of whether EA already has a credit note so other simmers would be aware and choose the option to go for the original creation or maybe even stick to your modified creation but at least it'll be their choice

4. For those of us (including me) that use the Gallery as back up for our fav saves again we should try to not 're-upload creations from creators who do not want their works to be 're-uploaded (again we have a choice to simply not downlaod in the first place) and for our own original works..I don't see reasons why we shouldn't go ahead to save them on the Gallery even as back up...since its original,..we call it back up..the Gallery calls it sharing and other players may see it, and want to download it in fact..so anyhow it works the whole objective of the Gallery is still being met and not jeopardized

5. The Gallery is a wonderful place for creation sharing..it is not a competition ground but if we want to challenge ourselves lets keep it healthy

Hashtag #stop the stop stealing#; please
    Hashtag # stop the stealing#; please
    Hashtag # One love#

Your solutions seem easy enough. But unless these become official rules i dont see everyone participating. I will not be reuploading to the gallery anything i am asked not to politely i will be going to MTS OR TSR for stuff i need and if i need it winthin game i will go to the gallery for other sims that do not have this tag. They are all beginning to look alike anyway. So seems until we get a new pack its basically same old same old in my opinion.

You should message these great ideas to the Sims Gurus I think they are good ideas. @Honey_Pie_360
  • Options
    hey all if you want to see some great builds these are unbelieveable you should check out @ehaught58 he does not care if you change them. But there is really nothing to change he is talented.......He does not use stopstealing in his builds.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top